Charlie Austin

Saint-Armstrong

I'm very wary of this signing.

He didn't have the best goal scoring record at Hungerford.

Tread with caution.

Scored non for Thatcham Town! (made zero appearances for them though)

Years

Team Apps† (Gls)†

2006–2007

Kintbury Rangers 27 (20)

2007–2008

Hungerford Town 30 (5)

Thatcham Town 0 (0)

2008–2009

Poole Town 42 (48

2009–2011

Swindon Town 54 (31)

2011–2013

Burnley 82 (41)

2013–2016

Queens Park Rangers 82 (45)

Pretty good record for a crock it has to be said!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

So, great signing on the face of it.

Perhaps a naive question, but what happens if Austin's knee is really shot and he breaks down at some point and is unable to see out his contract ?

Is there insurance that would pay out, will the outstanding period just be cancelled, or are Saints committed to pay for the remainder of his contract.

Perhaps a naive question, but what happens if Austin's knee is really shot and he breaks down at some point and is unable to see out his contract ?

Is there insurance that would pay out, will the outstanding period just be cancelled, or are Saints committed to pay for the remainder of his contract.

You would need to read Charlie's contract and Saints insurance policies to answer that! I suspect Charlie gets paid hence one of the attractions is the security a four and a half year contract offers him ands Saints have insured a breakdown (although given his risk and history this could be costly)

I don't know if it's still the same, but Burley once told me that Saints players weren't insured at the time. Premiums would be far too expensive

Long is from the British Isles, so geographically he is British :)

Well if we are going to be pedantic, then, no, those from RoI are not British even though they come from the British Isles. To be British, as I am sure you know, you have to come from Great Britain (which excludes Northern Ireland as well).

Well if we are going to be pedantic, then, no, those from RoI are not British even though they come from the British Isles. To be British, as I am sure you know, you have to come from Great Britain (which excludes Northern Ireland as well).

I've extracted my tongue from my cheek now... :)

(p.s. if the UK withdraws from the European Union, will I still be European?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35339614

Garth Crooks seems to think that because we have signed CA, Mané is leaving...

However it looks like manager Ronald Koeman has bowled himself into a selection nightmare. With Shane Long in good form, Graziano Pelle still to return and Dusan Tadic and Ward-Prowse scoring goals, it will be very interesting to see where he plays new signing Charlie Austin.

Austin can score goals but not without a particular type of service. The other players mentioned have more than goals to their repertoire - so it looks like Sadio Mane could be on his way.

Now that the dust has settled.....a few people on here have mentioned the "Keegan Reaction " (although it was over 35 years ago), many older fans will recall the euphoria and reaction....where they were and....when they heard of Saints signing Kevin Keegan. (Then England captain and twice Euro footballer of the Year).

Of course, Charlie Austin is no Kevin Keegan, but as a player who always seemed to score whenever his club(s) played against us, he did stand out as a " winner ".

He was (in some terms)..last season's Jamie Vardy. HDAJF...QPR and it wasn't hardly his fault that they were relegated, his personal goal tally was very impressive.

When nearly all Saints fans agreed that " another striker " was our one real requirement, I think perhaps many of us have given up the hope of signing Charlie, but now he's on the bus we can wait for him to become " 100% Saints fit " and hopefully see him scoring bucketloads of goals, this time - in a Saints shirt.

Looks like we're doing the "sign players now for wages which look big now but will look small when the new TV deal kicks in", I'm all for that.

Also a useful addition now many more sides are going with 2 up top again, as well as just having a few weeks of playing without Pelle, compared to previous occasions where he was linked when he'd have been a Pelle replacement and we'd have had to use one or the other, or played him as an AM.

Great value.

MLT is absolutely delighted with this signing on Soccer Sat.

Thinks though, this will mean Pelle will eventually leave as they both cant really play together

I do wish you'd pay attention. There are a few teams in the Prem playing 2 up top to counter others' overly-defensive tactics (defensive tactics including 4-2-3-1) - we could play Austin up top on his own, alongside Pelle or Long, in a front 3, or as part of an attacking 4, if we wanted. Pelle could feature alongside Austin in about half of those formations.

FWIW I have assumed that our flexibility on the Caulker relocation helped close the Austin one, not least because we might have only paid the reported £4m because we were owed 6 months loan fee for Caulker.

I would agree with this. Even if you take into account the suggestion that Austin wanted to move back to the South coast and wanted to stay in the Premier League that left just two clubs that he could join. But waiting until the summer still made it possible for him to go elsewhere if someone chucked silly money at him so to take him now for £4m and for part of that £4m (and his wages) to be covered via not only recovering 6 months of loan fee but also suggestions that Liverpool paid us extra to make it happen and recover 6 months of wages with that bomb scare Caulker gone then it is fantastic business and I bet the club can't believe their luck.

Would be delighted if he scores 12 goals in the 16 games remaining, but can't see it. Obviously QPR will be thinking he is fairly fit and match ready.

You're optimistic. That equal to 28 league goals in a season, not many do that. If he gets between 7 or 8 it'd be a decent return.

Talk Sport mooting the idea 'is Charlie Austin unambitious for going to Saints' which in its own right is a bloody cheek, then even more preposterous they claim that if he had gone to Frenchcastle he could have become a 'goal God'.

Maybe CA is showing ambition because he wants to be in a team that is in the Premier League next season as opposed to the Championship !!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Don't think I have been this excited to see a player we have just signed to be playing in the red and white. Something about this signing just seems too perfect. If Rodriguez comes back from his injury and starts firing also, we have a heck of a team on our hands. Strange how everything can change in a couple days, really optimistic about this season now. Just shows how close the bar is from relegation threat to even threatening the top this season, only a few games in it to sway the difference! Hopefully we'll see him come off the bench to play against Manchester United this weekend coming!