New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

and Adkins and Pochettino did?

Of our last 3 managers only Koeman fits in with your comment.

From history of appointments under the Liebherr reign those are not requirements we look for and from look at previous appointments I'd say Howe fits our criteria perfectly (not that he'd be my first choice).

Adkins fitted the job spec perfectly. And Poch did too. What a weird question.

There's actually two Schmidt's in the Bundesliga

Roger Schmidt- Leverkusen

Martin Schmidt- Mainz (who I posted about)

Martin Schmidt seems a pretty cool character and says "Tuchel was his mentor"

Did some reading and both sound pretty damn good!

Did Pereira leave Porto at the end of a contract?

Assume he went to Saudi for the money...wonder if he had other offers at the time aside from Everton interest?

Guessing he only had a short term Olympiakos deal and left at the end of that. Anyone know if he was linked with anyone else before joining Fenerbache?

If he leaves this summer he will have done 2 years at two different clubs then more recently only a year or less at three different clubs.

Wonder if that is just ruthless money/managerial position improvement or a struggle to settle?

Did Pereira leave Porto at the end of a contract?

Assume he went to Saudi for the money...wonder if he had other offers at the time aside from Everton interest?

Guessing he only had a short term Olympiakos deal and left at the end of that. Anyone know if he was linked with anyone else before joining Fenerbache?

If he leaves this summer he will have done 2 years at two different clubs then more recently only a year or less at three different clubs.

Wonder if that is just ruthless money/managerial position improvement or a struggle to settle?

His wiki page says he had his Olympiakos contract cancelled by mutual consent and the next day he was announced as Fenerbahce manager. Quit Al Ahli for "family reasons" according to Record https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.record.xl.pt/internacional/detalhe/arabia-saudita-vitor-pereira-deixa-al-ahli-881510.html&prev=search

Bonus: Vitor Pereira arguing with Al Ahli press officer in a press conference.

His wiki page says he had his Olympiakos contract cancelled by mutual consent and the next day he was announced as Fenerbahce manager. Quit Al Ahli for "family reasons" according to Record https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.record.xl.pt/internacional/detalhe/arabia-saudita-vitor-pereira-deixa-al-ahli-881510.html&prev=search

Bonus: Vitor Pereira arguing with Al Ahli press officer in a press conference.

Nigel Pearson with a tan.

I think Vitor P's firebrand personality will rule him out.

Marco Silva and Roger Schmidt on the other hand...

Everything I have read on Vitor P is the opposite. He is apparently quiet, not interested in media and happy to be a training ground coach.

“Portuguese people are strategic, with a huge work ethic” he said. “I do not have the talent to speak, in public, as finely as they do.

“Andre is very expressive, but I am different. I am a quiet person.

“I define myself differently: I am a tactical coach. For me, that part of the game is not so important.

“It is not part of my personality.”

Everything I have read on Vitor P is the opposite. He is apparently quiet, not interested in media and happy to be a training ground coach.

Yep, I read something that said part of the reason he never built much of a rapport with Porto fans was because he wasn't vocal in the press and didn't push the agenda of 'it's us against the world'.

Just didn't take kindly to that press officer's behaviour, clearly!

???

They were relegated!

I've followed Rayo Vallecano for a few years as I love watching Spanish football. His style of play is extreme in how he sets out. No goal kicks will be hit long, no defenders will be hitting a target man, it will be passing through the lines until they find a forward in space, without exception. He plays 4-2-3-1 and his wingers are just that, they won't come inside, they stretch the pitch from start to finish. He's known to make subs in the first half or at half time if things aren't going well, certainly a proactive rather than reactive manager.

I personally think his philosophy of play would suit better players. Rayo were let down this season by poor defenders and even poorer goalkeepers, their forward play was exciting with average players, namely Cardiff flop Guerra and Man U flops Bebe and Manucho. I would be excited to see what he could do with a squad of internationals.

He's also progressed a lot of youngsters careers whilst at Rayo. Not so much from their own academy, but from too Spanish clubs. Saul Niguez was there the year before breaking into Atletico's team this year, and Diego Llorente will be this years edition who is due back at Real Madrid next season.

Don't read everything into league tables, very very simplistic.

Wonder if the mystery man is the Rayo Vallecano manager Paco Jemez. Fits the profile of a young manager who plays pressing football but more attacking than Pochettino and has done well considering the clubs small budget. Saw someone on Twitter mention that he had an offer from an English club and seeing as we are the only manager less PL club it could be us.

That's where my monies going. Poch 2 IMO.

I've followed Rayo Vallecano for a few years as I love watching Spanish football. His style of play is extreme in how he sets out. No goal kicks will be hit long, no defenders will be hitting a target man, it will be passing through the lines until they find a forward in space, without exception. He plays 4-2-3-1 and his wingers are just that, they won't come inside, they stretch the pitch from start to finish. He's known to make subs in the first half or at half time if things aren't going well, certainly a proactive rather than reactive manager.

I personally think his philosophy of play would suit better players. Rayo were let down this season by poor defenders and even poorer goalkeepers, their forward play was exciting with average players, namely Cardiff flop Guerra and Man U flops Bebe and Manucho. I would be excited to see what he could do with a squad of internationals.

He's also progressed a lot of youngsters careers whilst at Rayo. Not so much from their own academy, but from too Spanish clubs. Saul Niguez was there the year before breaking into Atletico's team this year, and Diego Llorente will be this years edition who is due back at Real Madrid next season.

Like Poch Leaving Espanyol in 20th place before we got him.

You didn't read my post in the context it was written. It was replying to two posters who said Paco Jemez & Rayo Vallecano had a "good season" in 2015/16. They didn't, they were relegated... that was the point I was making. I wasn't ruling the manager out, I just fail to see how it was a good season.

Anyway... going back to the previously discussed Roger Schmidt of Bayer Leverkusen, this is quite an interesting analysis of his style of play...

You didn't read my post in the context it was written. It was replying to two posters who said Paco Jemez & Rayo Vallecano had a "good season" in 2015/16. They didn't, they were relegated... that was the point I was making. I wasn't ruling the manager out, I just fail to see how it was a good season.

Anyway... going back to the previously discussed Roger Schmidt of Bayer Leverkusen, this is quite an interesting analysis of his style of play...

Thanks, good watch.

Further read on Paco Jemez:

http://statsbomb.com/2016/02/the-fascinating-nature-of-paco-jemez/

And with some remarkable prescience & foresight the article includes this:

There are a host of interesting medium-big clubs that could be on the hunt for a new manager this summer. Say Ronald Koeman decided he’s taken Southampton as far as he could and he’s sick and tired of his best players being poached up every summer window, Southampton could look at the success they had with Pochettino and think that Paco could achieve very similar things with a higher budget and a style that could be prone to greater positive variance. Other clubs likes Marseille, Roma, Lyon, Swansea would in their own ways fit the type of profile that Paco would want for his next gig. If the success of someone like Mauricio Pochettino is anything to go by, teams should be knocking on Paco Jémez’s door hoping that they could have one of the best up and coming managers be part of their future.

I get what you're saying I just think that it's unfair to say he's not had a good season just because the team with by far the lowest budget eventaully got relegated. I think looking at the managers linked to the job that the chosen manager will be a choice from left field as I'm not too enthused by the likes of Pellegrini I don't know why. Although for the first time I'm excited by who we're going to choose as our manager

I get what you're saying I just think that it's unfair to say he's not had a good season just because the team with by far the lowest budget eventaully got relegated. I think looking at the managers linked to the job that the chosen manager will be a choice from left field as I'm not too enthused by the likes of Pellegrini I don't know why. Although for the first time I'm excited by who we're going to choose as our manager

Don't think its unfair to say relegation is not a good season by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't mean he's a bad manager though.

Strachan had been relegated before joining us, not a bad manager for us though was he ? Poch was sacked,as was Lawrie (although not in his last job) before coming to Saints.

[/color]

Didn't we play his team , Leverkusen, in a friendly a couple of years ago?