New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Apols if I've missed chat on this already, but a couple of bits doing the rounds on social channel (pinch of salt obviously) linking Valverde from Bilbao today.

To me, this would be quite an exciting appointment, he's done a good job there and has good experience elsewhere - what are people's thoughts on him?

Alan Brazil's co-host threw tim Sherwood in this morning. Interview with Kevin Phillips offered no insight. No mention of fans at all.

It never ceases to amaze me how the media just don't get us. BTW the co-host was Ray Wilkins. It's not just the media. A Liverpool supporting colleague this morning asked me what I thought about Koeman and his departure and was quite surprised when I said I wasn't bothered by it. I pointed out we'd lost a lot better manager in Pochettino and kicked on from there and improved in successive seasons under Koeman and would continue to do so under whoever was appointed. He asked me who I wanted as manager and was surprised when I said I didn't really care as the club would have a succession plan in place as we did two years ago.

It never ceases to amaze me how the media just don't get us. BTW the co-host was Ray Wilkins. It's not just the media. A Liverpool supporting colleague this morning asked me what I thought about Koeman and his departure and was quite surprised when I said I wasn't bothered by it. I pointed out we'd lost a lot better manager in Pochettino and kicked on from there and improved in successive seasons under Koeman and would continue to do so under whoever was appointed. He asked me who I wanted as manager and was surprised when I said I didn't really care as the club would have a succession plan in place as we did two years ago.

That's just about how I feel about it.

Someone asked Guillem Ballague about Valverde on twitter today and he said "no chance he's staying at Athletic".

Without wishing to sound pedantic, that reads as thought there is no chance of him staying at Athletic. Presumably you mean "No chance. He's staying at Athletic"?!

I'd like to know what difference "officially gone" makes.

As soon as Koeman asked to talk to Everton / Everton asked to talk to Koeman, I would have expected Uncle Les's phone to be glowing red-hot with outgoing activity based on his back-up list.

I imagine it was, he is after all a professional. Despite what you want to think I don't he was sat there playing Angry Birds on his phone.

As soon as Koeman asked to talk to Everton / Everton asked to talk to Koeman, I would have expected Uncle Les's phone to be glowing red-hot with outgoing activity based on his back-up list.

At a guess it means that nothing can be sorted ie the necessary paperwork hasn't been signed?

And you know that it hasn't because?

If you cast your mind back to 2014, Koeman was the head-and-shoulders favourite and the fan's choice virtually from day 1. By comparison, there isn't a clear frontrunner this time. Despite having a stronger squad, the job comes with expectations that didn't exist in 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if the recruitment process drags on. Its arguably the most difficult appointment yet.

Seems some are championing La Liga managers because they want another Poch.

For every Poch there has been 5 Pepe Mel's or Juande Ramos'.

Has there been anything confirmed yet ref Emery going to PSG or any new on Yakin resigning ???

Got a feeling one of those two

I wouldn't be surprised if Blanc is dragging his feet a bit, getting as much compo as he can get. He's been royally stitched up there.

Stitched up? Perhaps but not winning CL games is definitely an occupational hazard with his current employers. They are only interested in 1 thing, a CL final place.

Seems some are championing La Liga managers because they want another Poch.

For every Poch there has been 5 Pepe Mel's or Juande Ramos'.

But Pepe Mel and Juande Ramos were successful in getting their team's into Europe whereas Pochettino had just taken Espanyol to last place when we got him. What does that tell you about other clubs' recruitment strategies compared to ours ?

A thought about Pellegrini. Technically, he is still Man City's manager until 30th June. I don't know if that would pose any problems or if Man City would demand compensation or refuse us permission to speak to him.

Pre contact agreements are Always an option

Aldershot's bus if you google it :)

In 2014.

I expect the car was there to pick up Ivan Golac before he is announced as the new manager. Wishful thinking. Happy Birthday Ivan, a true Saints legend.

One of the best goals ever, and certainly one of the best I ever saw live (from behind the goal):

....while PaddyPower has Koeman 6-1 for the Arsenal job!

So much for bookies

Just had the most bizarre and of the wall name thrown at me as in the frame , not gonna say who but you guess , connections to the club as player , has managed at the highest level , in europe and internationally , advocates attacking football , not adverse to bringing through youngsters , would buy into the 5 year plan etc , has been out of work for a while .

??????????????

Just had the most bizarre and of the wall name thrown at me as in the frame , not gonna say who but you guess , connections to the club as player , has managed at the highest level , in europe and internationally , advocates attacking football , not adverse to bringing through youngsters , would buy into the 5 year plan etc , has been out of work for a while .

??????????????

Keegan. If that's right it's not going to happen.

??????????????

Hoddle, Gorman and Wotte dreamteam?!

??????????????

Pahars? Only one that fits all the criteria but is currently in management.

??????????????

Rosler? Again fits all criteria but hasn't managed internationally!

Rudi Garcia odds been slashed from 40/1 in to 4/1 with a few bookies. Might just be someone lumping some £ on him. Anyone heard anything or know much about him?

Did well with Lille then Roma

Roma sacked him after a poor run of games mid winter which seemed harsh on my superficial knowledge

Sounds promising- attacking minded.

Edited by adrian lord

??????????????

Why don't you just say who it is.

edit, sorry seen you have. That would be errrr interesting and weird

Edited by Saint IQ