Puel out

Lastman73

Personally I think it's crazy to get rid of him. Even if it gives us the short term gain of keeping a couple of senior players we are back to square one again next season when a new manager is brought in to start another 'project'.

However I think there is every chance Puel will leave because he chooses to, and I am sure he will be snapped up by a decent European club.

I think Eric Black is a bit shady and I'd be be very happy id Puel stayed with a different assistant...Zidane perhaps?

I'm concerned about carrying this form into next season. In the face of it, and certainty historically, 8th is good. However, with just 6 points separating 8th - 17th, we are no more than a slight extension of poor form away from joining a dogfight next season. We don't posses the players to make a difference individually anymore. It's frustrating that we have played so well on occasion, it feels like puel may have lost the dressing room to me.

I have a feeling Puel will resign without waiting for an end of term report. He looks like a broken man. All this talk of interesting possibilities, yet I think he just wants to say 'get me outta here'. I think the pressure of the job, the intensity of the media, all in a foreign country is too much for him. I can see him walking and hoping something comes up back in France. His stock is still high there. Au Revior, Claude, a bientot.

I have a feeling Puel will resign without waiting for an end of term report. He looks like a broken man. All this talk of interesting possibilities, yet I think he just wants to say 'get me outta here'. I think the pressure of the job, the intensity of the media, all in a foreign country is too much for him. I can see him walking and hoping something comes up back in France. His stock is still high there. Au Revior, Claude, a bientot.

And lose millions in compensation. Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... it feels like puel may have lost the dressing room to me.

I didn't see any real sign of that today. It's very disappointing but we have had recent games with missed penalties, and today Puel's system gave us 4 or 5 clear cut chances yet we don't convert them. Two Balls fizzed across the goalmouth, the Manolo 'one on one', Boufal's unfortunate miss when Butland managed to get a flailing leg to the ball, Redmonds brilliant chip from 25 yards hitting the bar..etc. Short of running on and kicking the ball in the net there is a limit to what Puel can do.

He will probably leave, either sacked or by his own request but he sure has been unlucky

Looking at our managers since the return to the Premier League, when Cortese canned Atkins I was more than a little sad for him and fearful for our future, when Poch walked out on us I was concerned half the squad would follow him out the door, when Koeman left after promising he'd stay I was angry but hopeful that players like Tadic would remain with the club as a result of his departure.

I'm having a hard time mustering up any emotions about Claude Puel, which probably says something.

He's done a decent job in some respects- League Cup final, Stephens, solid but unspectacular away form. I'd still be just about OK with things if he stays, but he is the managerial equivalent of a "meh". If he is fired (which seems likely given home results and goals scored,) I hope that we have someone decent lined up other than many of the candidates rolled around on this forum.

I always said I'd wait until the end of the season before casting judgement on the managerial situation.

On balance, I think it would be best to replace Puel at this juncture. That's not because I don't think Puel could improve things next season, its more to do with the fact that he's lost the support of a significant proportion of the fan base. As such, he would start next season under considerable pressure from game one.

Going into the season with a prevailing wind of negativity needs to be avoided and if replacing Puel is the only way to achieve that then so be it.

Anyone thinking the dressing room wasn't split only had to see the end of season walk around the pitch. Two different groups totally separate, one with Puel and a couple of players as another with the core of the players from previous years by the looks of it. Then Bertrand on his own with his family so he's off regardless.

Ralph probably places a massive amount of importance on team spirit and in that end of season lap of honour would have seen all he needed to know about the feeling in the camp.

The board probably have a clear choice. Keep Claude and lose quite a few key players who they then need to replace or be very decisive, let Claude go asap and get a replacement in rapidly who will galvanise the squad and give them belief in the we match on mantra.

Oh, and maybe 5,000 people left in the stadium for the lap of honour. This board and other platforms may not indicate the feelings of supporters but that was a telling image of how fans feel about this season.

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

I think I've been more patient than most with Puel and to give him credit he had much less resources than Koeman did last year. Has he made the best of what we've got though? No, not by a long way. The Hull game was what turned it for me. They're such a poor side, especially away from home and we just looked like we weren't even trying.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Southampton manager Claude Puel: "To finish eighth is good. The game was a little picture of the season - many opportunities and possibilities without scoring.

"Sometimes there is disappointment because often there was good football without reward. I am satisfied for all this season."

We didn't finish 8th because we were decent...! I'm truly concerned if he's satisfied, we have underachieved hugely in my eyes.

I always said I'd wait until the end of the season before casting judgement on the managerial situation.

On balance, I think it would be best to replace Puel at this juncture. That's not because I don't think Puel could improve things next season, its more to do with the fact that he's lost the support of a significant proportion of the fan base. As such, he would start next season under considerable pressure from game one.

Going into the season with a prevailing wind of negativity needs to be avoided and if replacing Puel is the only way to achieve that then so be it.

Pretty much agree with all of that LT

I would agree with this, trousers.

Claude / Saints is almost a microcosm of Wenger / Arsenal.

Southampton manager Claude Puel: "To finish eighth is good. The game was a little picture of the season - many opportunities and possibilities without scoring.

"Sometimes there is disappointment because often there was good football without reward. I am satisfied for all this season."

We didn't finish 8th because we were decent...! I'm truly concerned if he's satisfied, we have underachieved hugely in my eyes.

8th and closer points wise to the relegation zone than 7th.

Here's a quick summary of where our points came from this season.

The only teams we took more points from than they did us, were...

Boro 6pts.

Watford 4pts.

Bournemouth 4pts.

Sunderland 4pts.

Leicester 4pts.

Head to head we were even with these teams.

Everton 3pts.

Palace 3pts.

WBA 3pts.

Swansea 3pts.

West Ham 3pts.

Burnley 3pts.

Liverpool 2pts.

All of these teams took more points from us than we did them.

Man City 1pt.

Man Utd 1pt.

Stoke 1pt.

Hull 1pt.

Arsenal 0pts.

Spurs 0pts.

Chelsea 0pts.

We only took a total of 4 points from the teams in the top 6 and failed to beat any of them.

We only took maximum points from one team - Middlesboro.

The fact that we finished 8th with these results and the huge gap between 7th and 8th shows you just what a poor season it's been for two thirds of the premiership.

Anyone thinking the dressing room wasn't split only had to see the end of season walk around the pitch. Two different groups totally separate, one with Puel and a couple of players as another with the core of the players from previous years by the looks of it. Then Bertrand on his own with his family so he's off regardless.

Ralph probably places a massive amount of importance on team spirit and in that end of season lap of honour would have seen all he needed to know about the feeling in the camp.

as opposed to previous seasons when they all went round together, did their hand holding and cheering in front of The Northam only for half of them to **** of within a month ?

It meant nothing.

8th and closer points wise to the relegation zone than 7th.

Does he realise we were 10th at half time and only ended up 8th because other results went our way? We didn't exactly fight to the bitter end to gain 8th.

Imagine of we were in a relegation battle and we put in performances like we have in recent weeks, particularly at home, losing our last game at home but only staying up thanks to the results of the teams below us going in our favour.

In all honesty I'd have rather finished 14th, playing attractive football, nicking points from the top 6 and drawing games 3-3. Hearing the manager saying different things after games, giving positive interviews, trying to change the formation and making substitutions to change the game rather than for the sake of it.

Can't see any conclusion other than Puel leaving - a change is needed, there is no rapport between Puel and the fans and never will be. Also need to return to a more physical, higher tempo game allied to being good in possession.

Hopefully the club also realise their errors:

1. Appointing Puel when surely there were better candidates available

2. Ultimately failing in both transfer windows to provide him with a balanced squad. Perhaps trying to always be clever with recruitment rather than bringing in the odd PL proven player.

Ultimately though it hasnt worked out and failure to make a change will be bottling it.

as opposed to previous seasons when they all went round together, did their hand holding and cheering in front of The Northam only for half of them to **** of within a month ?

It meant nothing.

If you have a good team spirit it means quite a lot. I'm not talking about players leaving, just that it is not a group of players and coaches that is together. That may not mean everything but to say it means nothing is probably naive.

If you have a good team spirit it means quite a lot. I'm not talking about players leaving, just that it is not a group of players and coaches that is together. That may not mean everything but to say it means nothing is probably naive.

It was very noticeable. No team spirit there today.

Take Romeu, VVD and Bertrand out of that squad, as Phil Thompson suggested, and the heady heights of mid table midiocrity will seem like a dream. Yet again I approach the summer with trepidation.

I've neither backed or criticised Puel throughout the season as I feel you are only as good as the players at your disposal and these are simply not at the level under Poch and to a lessor extent fat Ron. I know Mane came good in his second season, but I am not confident that Bofal will replicate that improvement. If that doesn't happen, thenwe are going to pull some rabbits out of hats.

Best to part ways now but Puel was massively let down by the club in the Summer transfer window. We didn't replace Mane, Pelle or Wanyama.

Another poor transfer window and we will be well and truly in the relegation battle next season.

fully agree. Signing an injured Boufal was madness IMO. Why not wait for him to get fit and up to full speed before spending that kind of wedge?

Best to part ways now but Puel was massively let down by the club in the Summer transfer window. We didn't replace Mane, Pelle or Wanyama.

Another poor transfer window and we will be well and truly in the relegation battle next season.

Boufal, Austin and Hojbjerg.

Hope this helps.

Can't see any conclusion other than Puel leaving - a change is needed, there is no rapport between Puel and the fans and never will be. Also need to return to a more physical, higher tempo game allied to being good in possession.

Hopefully the club also realise their errors:

1. Appointing Puel when surely there were better candidates available

2. Ultimately failing in both transfer windows to provide him with a balanced squad. Perhaps trying to always be clever with recruitment rather than bringing in the odd PL proven player.

Ultimately though it hasnt worked out and failure to make a change will be bottling it.

Depends how you look at things. We managed to stay up, so the season was not a failure. You have to ask yourself, can Puel keep us up next season? If yes, better to keep him than take a risk on a new manager.

I have consistently backed Puel and have enjoyed many good away days this season while sharing the home form frustration of many on here.

If people are honest, rather than reinforcing their own bias, all would agree that we would have been delighted with 8th and a cup final. And then, throw in missing our best player for half the season and our top goal scorer for even more and things could have been expected to be much, much worse. Additionally three of the seven clubs above us had no European football which is very unlikely to be repeated any time soon.

My view right from the start of the season is that we would struggle to score without Pelle and Mane. Any assessment that ignores this, plus VVD and Austin absence is grossly unfair.

As one of the loyal fans who stayed back after the game I was fuming at the shambles of the lap of honour. People dribbled out of the tunnel, initially a ludicrous choice of asking a security guard to walk round with Puel and the sight of Forster who clearly resented being made to go out there. The "group" ended up being multiple groups of staff and their players and it looked the opposite of "the Southampton Way".

This makes me think, more than the results and the home performances, that he may be gone next week. It was the worst possible advert of team spirit.

I worry greatly about the future. To think some idiots were proclaiming Silva to be the answer a couple of weeks ago. His last three games have been a home defeat to a relegated side, a 4 goal defeat in a relegation six pointer with no shots on target and then a 7-1 home defeat. Perhaps that is what the "don't care about results and League table, just want entertainment" brigade want to see.

What ever happened to letting a manger learn and reflect on their mistakes, celebrate their achievements, then back them in the summer? As many older fans know, things get a lot worse than 4 top eight finishes. I hope some of the most vocal on here will still be around to see how changes work out if that is what to happen.

Getting back to the car about 6.45 I switched on Radio 5 and found I was listening to a very long, but passionate and eloquent rant from a Saints fan about why CP has to go.

I agreed with everything thing he said. However, on finishing all the cretin, Savage could muster was "I can't get my head round that."

If I had made the call, I would have told him to take it out of his f*****g ar se.

Personally I think it's crazy to get rid of him. Even if it gives us the short term gain of keeping a couple of senior players we are back to square one again next season when a new manager is brought in to start another 'project'.

However I think there is every chance Puel will leave because he chooses to, and I am sure he will be snapped up by a decent European club.

I think Eric Black is a bit shady and I'd be be very happy id Puel stayed with a different assistant...Zidane perhaps?

Would be lovely. A bit unlikely though as Zidane's currently got the Champions League final to look forward too as Real Madrid's manager.

Getting back to the car about 6.45 I switched on Radio 5 and found I was listening to a very long, but passionate and eloquent rant from a Saints fan about why CP has to go.

I agreed with everything thing he said. However, on finishing all the cretin, Savage could muster was "I can't get my head round that."

If I had made the call, I would have told him to take it out of his f*****g ar se.

Because pundits like Savage are lazy simpletons. For all their salt-of-the-earth populism (a reputation earned largely because they were s**t footballers), they think its below them to do any research or homework on the smaller sides. We're effectively interchangeable with 10 or so other teams in the league, so its a waste of time to understand the how and why of our season. Can't think of many ex-pros who are exceptions to this, though perhaps the skate Claridge is one.

Edited by shurlock

but from a distance people will wonder what do we expect. They would have seen snippets of our games where we play decent football and see players like Redmond and JWP picked by the national side. I assume they will think we were ungrateful for the perceived position we are in and also the Cup final.

I know if I was a neutral I would wonder why we want him gone....except for watching his post match interviews

He hasn't been quite as bad as some make out. But I've changed my mind... I think it'll be better if he goes in the coming days.

Think it's just Pamplemousse left before we get a unanimous decision on the mongboard.

If you switched around the last 4 months away results with the home ones, how would everyone view things differently?

To me that's the crux of the matter.

Bar the cup SF I've only done away games this season and, in general, they've been pretty decent performances and good results whilst the home performances have been dire.

If the home fans had seen the performances and had the results the away fans have enjoyed I think they'd be more forgiving.

However, having said that, it begs the question why the same set of players can play incisive football away from home yet be so poor at home but, in general, Puel has got his set up right away from SMS IMHO.

Trouble is, Les would have to be making an admission he made the wrong appointment if he does sack Puel. Suspect pride may play a part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DT