Hughes OUT

Batman

Well Forster used to be good and probably has a reputation better than his current level of form/confidence. McCarthy has just been in an England squad and probably is now fulfilling the potential that saw him as a highly rated young prospect while at Reading and Gunn is one of the most highly rated young keepers in the country.

Both our full backs are good on paper, they are just not playing well. Bertrand England international, at times wanted by several bigger clubs, Cedric was probably one of the most consistent full backs in the league until the last 6-9 months.

Centre-backs, well Hoedt is a Holland international who was playing for a good Lazio side fairly regularly. Vestergaard, Danish international, playing regularly for a good BMG side last year, champions league the year before.

Romeu was up there as probably one of the best DMs in the league a few years ago, at least outside the top 6.

Lemina was playing champions league football with Juventus and Marseille.

Hojberg played Bayern at like 18 and was a regular in a good Schalke side.

Moe was Basel's best player last year and shone in the Champions league vs Man City.

Redmond and Ward-Prowse are probably have the most England U21 caps of any players playing currently, and have bags of PL experience at young ages.

Austin has a 1 in 2 PL record.

Ings was highly rated before his injuries and was still getting massive praise from Klopp on his ability and they wanted to keep him.

Plenty of 'on-paper' ability there IMO, they are just not performing at near their best and they are not performing as a collective unit. Whilst the squad is maybe not the best IMO it's good enough for mid-table PL if you compare it to other squads.

Getting the best out of it is the manager's job and he is not doing that.

McCarthy didn't make the grade at Palace.

Bertrand i'll give you.

Cedric will never be good enough for a top club while his crossing and defending of crosses is where it is. He rarely finds a target and constantly gets exposed at the back post.

Romeu was clear 2nd choice to Wanyama and didn't make the grade at Chelsea.

Lemina didn't make the grade at Juventus.

Hojbjerg didn't make the grade at Bayern.

Moe is early days, we'll wait and see if he gets going.

Redmond didn't make the grade at Norwich.

JWP has never made the grade here.

When you say Austin has a 1 in 2 PL record you mean him being available/fit 1 in 2 games?

Ings didn't make the grade at Liverpool.

Plenty of 'on-paper' players that weren't good enough to cement spots at their last clubs. That's what we've become. Misfits FC.

Our problems run sooo deeper than who is the manager.

Since Fat Kat decided to flog to the highest bidder, we've had major strucutral and strategic issues, which have carried over to being owned by someone with no money who bought us to look good with his business peers

****ing hell I actually agree with you Alpine the takeover killed us. We stood still while it took forever to get it over the line and now we have an owner who just wants to maintain the status quo and has no ambition.

****ing hell I actually agree with you Alpine the takeover killed us. We stood still while it took forever to get it over the line and now we have an owner who just wants to maintain the status quo and has no ambition.

We've spent £300m on the squad and have very very little to show for it, plus we keep hiring poor managers and selling any player that steps up.

That's the issue, not the takeover.

Adam Leich on the podcast says the whole club behind the scenes feels likes it’s in decline, devoid of leadership and direction and that starts with Goa.

We were lucky to have Koeman and he did a fabulous job for us, while having one hand tied behind his back.

And Gao, who knows what he is doing with the club! It is sad the way we are going, but I can only say that the decline is running in tandem with my feelings of malaise with football in general. I suspect though that the two are somewhat linked. 5 wins in 38 games just isn't very entertaining. While we show flashes of excellence, over 90 minutes we are pretty dire and have been since Koeman left. I go to the games now because I love the club, but really, I watch the football with little expectation that we are going to win. Oh what a difference it is to when Koeman was here. We gave everyone a game - top 6 included. What is it now - 30 games against top 6, with 0 wins.

Paddy Power are giving 5/1 for relegation which seems pretty decent, and I think I might toodle on down and lay something against that. We seem to already be at the stage of hoping that there are 3 worse teams than us, which currently I am not wholly sure there are.

Someone needs to step in, grab the club by the scruff of its neck and give it a damn good shake. If the manager cannot do that with the players, then he should sling his hook.

We were lucky to have Koeman and he did a fabulous job for us, while having one hand tied behind his back.

And Gao, who knows what he is doing with the club! It is sad the way we are going, but I can only say that the decline is running in tandem with my feelings of malaise with football in general. I suspect though that the two are somewhat linked. 5 wins in 38 games just isn't very entertaining. While we show flashes of excellence, over 90 minutes we are pretty dire and have been since Koeman left. I go to the games now because I love the club, but really, I watch the football with little expectation that we are going to win. Oh what a difference it is to when Koeman was here. We gave everyone a game - top 6 included. What is it now - 30 games against top 6, with 0 wins.

Paddy Power are giving 5/1 for relegation which seems pretty decent, and I think I might toodle on down and lay something against that. We seem to already be at the stage of hoping that there are 3 worse teams than us, which currently I am not wholly sure there are.

Someone needs to step in, grab the club by the scruff of its neck and give it a damn good shake. If the manager cannot do that with the players, then he should sling his hook.

Currently, Cardiff, Huddersfield and Newcastle. But if any of those 3 get their act together, we are in trouble.

I have to say, this is where my issue is now. I have actually had enough of football - I find it boring. The money in the game has spoilt it for me.

Thank God the NFL is decent to watch.

Newcastle will be fine. Especially if taken over. We are heading for relegation, no doubt with a plan to prevaricate for way too long until it's too late. Think we may need not just a new manager but a team of coaches. Not ex goalkeepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Leich on the podcast says the whole club behind the scenes feels likes it’s in decline, devoid of leadership and direction and that starts with Goa.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Said at the time, as did a lot of others, the takeover was a bad thing and so it has proved to be. The only person who got anything out of it was Kat.

We now have a distant, seemingly uninterested owner, without a pot to **** in, whose plan for the club is still totally unknown to the fans ( and possibly the board as well) leaving the club to bumble on with no clear direction or purpose.

You can sack Les and Ralph, sack Hughes and replace the whole playing squad it wont help much I the guy at the top has no leadership, plan or investment for the club.

McCarthy didn't make the grade at Palace.

Bertrand i'll give you.

Cedric will never be good enough for a top club while his crossing and defending of crosses is where it is. He rarely finds a target and constantly gets exposed at the back post.

Romeu was clear 2nd choice to Wanyama and didn't make the grade at Chelsea.

Lemina didn't make the grade at Juventus.

Hojbjerg didn't make the grade at Bayern.

Moe is early days, we'll wait and see if he gets going.

Redmond didn't make the grade at Norwich.

JWP has never made the grade here.

When you say Austin has a 1 in 2 PL record you mean him being available/fit 1 in 2 games?

Ings didn't make the grade at Liverpool.

Plenty of 'on-paper' players that weren't good enough to cement spots at their last clubs. That's what we've become. Misfits FC.

Most of those clubs were top clubs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern, Juventus.

How many players in their early 20s actually establish themselves at clubs like those? Even Rashford is struggling, as did Mo Salah, Kevin De Bruyne etc. does not mean they are 'misfits' or bad players.

And Redmond was Norwich's best player pretty much and a regular. The guy is only 24 and has already played nearly 250 league games and he's played 38 times for the England U21s.

Ward-Prowse is 23 and has nearly 170 PL games under his belt, plus 31 U21 caps, a senior cap and was more regular under managers here that did better than he has been under the crap managers.

Oh and both have England caps.

If these players were as bad as people make out they never would be internationals, at these clubs and played so many games.

Know the feeling. I'm not sure football has the same problems further down the pyramid though, it's only the Premier League which is a meaningless circus. It's true that I don't complain as much about the PL when Saints are doing well in it, but that's more because it's more fun putting the noses of the big clubs and big cheeses out of joint, not because the PL is suddenly a glorious spectacle.

As per shurlock's comment above (i.e. from Adam Leitch), it's no surprise that it feels like that behind the scenes because that's exactly how it feels to us supporters too.

The negative inertia has been building for some time. With the current ownership, structure and people in positions of influence it's going to be difficult to arrest that and turn it around. We are on a trend of decline.

The negative inertia has been building for some time. With the current ownership, structure and people in positions of influence it's going to be difficult to arrest that and turn it around. We are on a trend of decline.

Now you are saying it as are others. The signs were there years ago but people didn't look hard enough.

We are being setting up to 'stay in the PL'. Unfortunately the Board and owners are not even doing that properly.

We have been fortunate in the not too distant past to have found many decent players (VVD, Lovren,Fonte, Schneid, Lallana, Ox, Walcott, Clyne, Shaw etc) who have served the club well and made us a nice profit when they've moved on, but seem to have lost the knack over the past couple of years or so. We have spent a lot of money but the players have either been clearly not good enough (Hoedt, Boufal and the utterly dreadful Carillo for example), or need a little more time to develop (or not). I remember Lallana seemed to stand still for 2-3 years with us before becoming the player his is.

Many people dislike the current PL ethos of instant success (with the obscene amounts of money involved), at the same time becoming impatient when it eludes the club they support. Like many I find the PL a little boring lately, even though there are 6 clubs competing at the top rather than 2 or 3 as it used to be. Maybe I've been watching football for too long (40+ years). In a recent paper article Kieron Tripier noted that hardly any academy players in any club are good enough for first team football and end up in lower leagues or discarded altogether. It's no different with SFC, Lallana aside our academy system has been a dismal failure and we now rely on gambling on new signings, which are not always successful, as we know...

The malaise began when NC left, quickly followed by Poch. for a while their momentum kept running but there has been no leadership to replace NC off the pitch and Poch on the pitch. Now the whole enterprise has run down. I'm sorry NC was mocked and ridiculed by fans, he was the engine that drove things and that is what we lack now.

The malaise began when NC left, quickly followed by Poch. for a while their momentum kept running but there has been no leadership to replace NC off the pitch and Poch on the pitch. Now the whole enterprise has run down. I'm sorry NC was mocked and ridiculed by fans, he was the engine that drove things and that is what we lack now.

Tbf don't think many mocked NC.

Look at his exit thread it was largely wide spread support (and panic) and then the normal handful (Turkish, CB Fry types) that had NC issues and couldn't see his value as he wasn't from a football background or ex player lol.

A few were seduced by the initial and predicted continued momentum, but writing was always on wall and I predicted our decline while everyone was getting giddy with Leslie's top 4 and champions league talk nonsense :lol:

NC left the owner with little choice. That is if I understand things correctly. He didn't want one of her people on the board, ie to keep an eye on how he spent HER money. But let's not be revisionist about it. When Koeman got us 7th and 6th, I didn't see many people saying Les was inept.

NC left the owner with little choice. That is if I understand things correctly. He didn't want one of her people on the board, ie to keep an eye on how he spent HER money. But let's not be revisionist about it. When Koeman got us 7th and 6th, I didn't see many people saying Les was inept.

does that matter?

Nah the momentum was lost when Koeman left and the take over started. The protracted nature of the take over stalled the club and it hasn't managed to get the engine started since. Being taken over by a guy without a pot to **** in and no clear plan or ambition has killed us.

It must be brilliant to be a Burnley fan. Championship, then 16th, then 7th, such momentum that is going to see them guaranteed to finish, what, sixth this season? And then higher the seson after? Fantastic for them. Such a powerful force, isn't it.

13 points from 18 games. 3 wins.

How long is long enough to know that a manager's not going to turn things around?

We've got plenty of problems at the recruitment and board level, but there's precious little sign of the management and coaching rising above the malaise and dragging the team forward.

Who could have imagined the reign of Mark Hughes would be so grim and helpless...?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I dread to think how we compare to this point of the season last term

And that was with the clown in charge

dear god, what an atrocious manager he is.

If any Stoke fans are reading this. we feel your pain

Stoke would've stayed up had Hughes still been in charge, they only won what was it once after he left?

If someone like Jardim is available and he wants to come here, then we should make a move for him immediately. Or someone who can coach an attack.

Yeah fair enough, I’m on the bus.

Yes our players are a pile of shîte, but Hughes has done nothing to improve us, and looks generally clueless. I’m bored of seeing that ‘what’s going on here then’ expression on his gormless face.

Thanks Mark for keeping us up.

Let’s spin the wheel and give another cut-price manager a go.

Hughes’ points per match with Saints is 1.1. Not sure if that includes today’s draw with Newcastle.

Pellegrino’s PPM was 1.09. Puel’s was 1.38.

He’s not getting it done is he? But can anyone do better?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-southampton/mitarbeiterhistorie/verein/180

If you’re only considering the league, that figure is wrong.

Hughes has 15 points in 18 games.

That’s significantly less than a point a game.

Hughes’ points per match with Saints is 1.1. Not sure if that includes today’s draw with Newcastle.

Pellegrino’s PPM was 1.09. Puel’s was 1.38.

He’s not getting it done is he? But can anyone do better?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-southampton/mitarbeiterhistorie/verein/180

The only manager for us with a worse top flight record, ever, is Wigley.

Yeah fair enough, I’m on the bus.

Yes our players are a pile of shîte, but Hughes has done nothing to improve us, and looks generally clueless. I’m bored of seeing that ‘what’s going on here then’ expression on his gormless face.

Thanks Mark for keeping us up.

Let’s spin the wheel and give another cut-price manager a go.

Agree.

The squad is very poor..... but no excuse for the lack of fitness, organisation and tactics.

Get rid. The players haven't got the mental toughness and I can see us going down anyway but let's just see if someone else could do something with them.

Keeping Hughes dribbling on until mid-February seems utterly pointless but no doubt that's precisely what King Les will do.