Saints v City Thread

Pilchards

Going to be interesting as it’s obvious the players are going to be tired from last night.

Our captain will return which is great news and it would be nice for Cedric to make an appearance too.

I personally would play Jack Stephens in Romeu role and put a couple of young front runners that will keep some pressure on the City back four.

McCarthy

Cedric

Vestergaard

Bederack (can’t spell it I know)

Yoshi

Targett

Stephens

Hoijberg

Moore/Obi/Barnes

Ings

Redmond

Going to be interesting as it’s obvious the players are going to be tired from last night.

Our captain will return which is great news and it would be nice for Cedric to make an appearance too.

I personally would play Jack Stephens in Romeu role and put a couple of young front runners that will keep some pressure on the City back four.

McCarthy

Cedric

Vestergaard

Bederack (can’t spell it I know)

Yoshi

Targett

Stephens

Hoijberg

Moore/Obi/Barnes

Ings

Redmond

Doubt we'll see Cedric. Could put Stephens in at RB. Obafemi definitely out too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I fear we could get the backlash after two defeats on the trot for City.

They say things happen in 3’s so we can always hope............we can always also hope that with them having such a prolonged winning run, this strange happening of losing twice might play on their minds and make them play with a bit more caution.

Be nice to see a repeat of the last time we thought we would reap the full force of the table topping team beaten soundly the previous weekend 5-0..............need to stop drinking really.:D

Good article with PEH in The Times this morning - just a throw away comment or does this really mean Kayne Ramsey will be starting at RWB vs City? link to article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pierre-emile-hojbjerg-interview-pep-guardiola-is-the-most-demanding-person-ive-met-qq237mzg8

“On Thursday evening, after Southampton’s defeat by West Ham, Hojbjerg, even though he was suspended, stayed beyond the end of the game and checked with Kayne Ramsay, a young unused substitute, whether he needed a lift home. Tomorrow, as captain, he will have to check that the 18-year-old full back can cope, on his debut, with the pressure of facing Kevin De Bruyne.

We have had a couple of debuts this year and I always tell them you are here because you are good enough, the reason you get this chance is because you have the quality and don’t forget that now, or in a year. Kayne is a good guy and it will be an amazing opportunity, it will be his way into the world of men. From boy to a man in one night.”

Good article with PEH in The Times this morning - just a throw away comment or does this really mean Kayne Ramsey will be starting at RWB vs City? link to article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pierre-emile-hojbjerg-interview-pep-guardiola-is-the-most-demanding-person-ive-met-qq237mzg8

“On Thursday evening, after Southampton’s defeat by West Ham, Hojbjerg, even though he was suspended, stayed beyond the end of the game and checked with Kayne Ramsay, a young unused substitute, whether he needed a lift home. Tomorrow, as captain, he will have to check that the 18-year-old full back can cope, on his debut, with the pressure of facing Kevin De Bruyne.

We have had a couple of debuts this year and I always tell them you are here because you are good enough, the reason you get this chance is because you have the quality and don’t forget that now, or in a year. Kayne is a good guy and it will be an amazing opportunity, it will be his way into the world of men. From boy to a man in one night.”

Sounds like he's going to start, esp as he would come in for Valery who struggled on Wednesday night.

**** me that's a ballsy decision by Ralph, if true, playing an 18 year old fullback without a 1st team appearance against citeh :scared:

Yep. Didn't JWP make his debut against City too?

Where now for Cedric, if another youngster starts ahead of him? Surely he's off in the next month.

Not sure what to make of this if true. Cedric appears to be on his way thats for sure.

1) RH is resting Valery after a run of games with a view of reintroduction later. RH thinks Ramsey is worth a go in a free hit match.

2) RH deems Valery not good enough after a fair chance. Cedric not an option for some reason. Ramsey one alternative, and sends a positive message to the rest of the younger players.

If Ramsey fails, which wouldn't be a disgrace given what he'll be facing, then what ? I'd rather he stick with Valery for a while and let the lad learn as the season progresses. Players can take years to develop (re Lallana), and he hasn't played that badly really. IMO it may just be a rotation issue...

We did well last season in this fixture. Let's not be too dramatic about a loss here anyway, it's a free hit.

We won't keep a clean sheet so should go for them. Not convinced by our attack at the moment. I like Armstrong but more in a 433 with 3 attackers ahead. When he's one of the 3 attackers it's a bit slow.

Really think we need Long for this one. Not alone up front, but chasing them down, defend from the front. Redmond/Ings/Long for an hour of flat out running, then subs based on the score, extra midfielder if still in the game.

McCarthy

Bednarek Vesterguard Yoshida

Stephens Højbjerg Lemina Targett

Long Ings Redmond

Very good post indeed, good team and structured thinking based on carefully watching the games and not just the ball like several do...

Ralph seems committed to playing youngsters over some veterans. He said as much in an interview. His basic stance is we sucked with the veterans so why not. Guys like Cedric are in trouble. He also greatly prefers Oba to Long/Austin. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a number of players leave in Jan, and also at th end of the season. Guys like Cedric, JWP, Gabbi (for sure), Long, Austin, Davis (another certainty), and Hoedt. Not sure where Bertrand falls, but he may be on the way out too.

Hasn't this Ramsey got quite a lot of goals and assists at the youth levels for a RB? Valery has looked knackered a couple of times recently so maybe Ralph feels this is the game to get him a rest when we are the big underdogs and get him fit for the big games coming up after. No one had heard of Aaron Wan-Bissaka at Palace before Hodgson gave him his debut and he's since been one of the top 3 RB's in the league, I bet a lot of Palace fans were sceptical about his initial inclusion too. As mentioned, we don't know how these lads will do once they play at this level, some will rise and some won't. But not getting in the team under Hughes/Pellegrino shouldn't mean they are instantly written off. Puel gave game time to youngsters, he's doing it at Leicester too, most of the time the youngsters he played for us did just fine.

I listened to both Ralph's interviews and several things came over loud and clear. Hojbjerg is his captain. Romeu is another that he feels provides backbone. They will play. Kayne Ramsey to start? Ralph - why not? Reverted to early season habits not his way. Cedric, missed games injured now on the outside will have to wait. Obviously doesn't rate vertically challenged players. McCarthy badly positioned not near enough to his near post. Could be on borrowed time. Gunn has been impressive in his few appearances. Obefimi is obviously a big player for him, he says we are missing his pace.

Our plan is to win the ball and get it up to runners quickly. Yoshida dithering and Lamina running in circles destroyed our game plan. Run at opponents should be in the final third but not in our half. Dispite Lamina's ball skills he is a liability. Flatters to deceive and fades in and out. He is a cosmetic player, lacks discipline, and is not prepared to do the hard yards without the ball. Targett despite his footballing ability is too slow. Valery looked like it was a game too many. Throw ins. There has to be a default tactic, yet we see precious little movement or support and back to the thrower is our only move often losing the ball. Throw the bloody ball down the line and support the throw with the aim of forcing defenders to knock it out. Get down into the last third and anything can happen.

This is one we can't expect anything from so lets make it hard for them and give it a go.

This is the real first test for Hasenhüttl. He came in with energy and enthusiasm and instilled a new way of playing and got two good results.

Then a setback and things didn't work against W Ham. The big question is whether he can put that right, pick up the team and get a performance tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk