Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I've had a chat tonight with the woman trying to set up a phoenix club. She is a friend of a friend of a friend.

Hilarious. She has nearly £500k ready to go on a phoenix club, she says. (mainly from 8 or 9 pledges)

She backs the Trust bid but explained that "anyone remotely serious describes them as a hard-working but totally lamentable group of innumerate fruitcakes"

I do enjoy a well-turned phrase. "A hard-working but totally lamentable group of innumerate fruitcakes" is a good one.

The gift that keeps giving.....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/bids-are-flying-in-as-pompey-get-to-their-end-game-1-4287259

The sixth bid has only just been made, but the unnamed consortium behind it would have to make a high offer in order to move in front of either Portpin or the PST at this late stage.

Rumours flying around the Fratton Park terraces name a seventh bid – a consortium which tried to buy Newcastle United in 2007 – but those whispers have been quashed.

Didn't know empty blue seats could talk.

Has it been put on eBay? why so many bids all of a sudden

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/howard-issues-honest-assessment-on-his-pompey-start-1-4286299

Another issue for some of the players is the status of a club like Pompey as they adjust to life in League One.

Howard said: ‘It’s a big club and some of the lads have got to get their heads around that.

‘Some teams will come to Fratton Park and it will be like a cup final for them. We saw that with Walsall and Oldham.

:facepalm:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/howard-issues-honest-assessment-on-his-pompey-start-1-4286299

Another issue for some of the players is the status of a club like Pompey as they adjust to life in League One.

Howard said: ‘It’s a big club and some of the lads have got to get their heads around that.

‘Some teams will come to Fratton Park and it will be like a cup final for them. We saw that with Walsall and Oldham.

:facepalm:

Yes, Walsall and Oldham were both really overawed by playing at Fortress Fratton :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can no longer laugh at the delusional crap that comes out in that paper... I used to laugh, but the thing is... they actually, genuinely believe it. It's vile.

They really do... They really believe they are some mega, giant, super Club in league 1....despite the 10k fans they now have, they are the best 10k fans ever in the history of football..

The last couple of threads got me thinking. Whilst we wait for the PST to receive preffered bidder status, I wanna get peoples thoughts. Every clubs fans have many with delusions of granduer. It doesnt make any of it true, but seriously, humour me here and give me your own perceptions, Lazy media perceptions and then what you truelly believe, for both sets of clubs & supporters. Here are mine;

Perceptions of Fans (Right or wrong).

Pompey Fans

Pompey Fans think; They are the most passionate around, Noisy, a bit tasty and Loyal.

The media thinks; Pompey Are Gutsy, Noisy, Loyal, Crisis riden money-spunkers.

The realisty (Probably is); Pompey are Noisy, beligerant, Interesting, low-brow, evoke strong opinions, Fan numbers not especially loyal, working to under class backgrounds, unimaginative and a little bit racist/homophobic/conservative.

Saints Fans

Saints Fans think; Saints a BIG club with a fantastic youth academy, massive potential, large away followings and they support a club whose 'rightful' place is in the big league.

The media thinks; They really dont seem that interested, see's Saints as a bit boring. Acknowlege Saints a great place for bringing through talent oh and MLT.

The reality (Probably is); Excellent academy, well supported, diverse support, very arrogant, not very vocal, Been amongst the top clubs a long time, sanctamonious, lacking an identity, uneventful and a bit non-descript.

The last couple of threads got me thinking. Whilst we wait for the PST to receive preffered bidder status, I wanna get peoples thoughts. Every clubs fans have many with delusions of granduer. It doesnt make any of it true, but seriously, humour me here and give me your own perceptions, Lazy media perceptions and then what you truelly believe, for both sets of clubs & supporters. Here are mine;

Pompey Fans

Pompey Fans think; They are the most passionate around, Noisy, a bit tasty and Loyal.

The realisty (Probably is); Pompey are Noisy, beligerant, Interesting, low-brow, evoke strong opinions, Fan numbers not especially loyal, working to under class backgrounds, unimaginative and a little bit racist/homophobic/conservative.

Saints Fans

Saints Fans think; Saints a BIG club with a fantastic youth academy, massive potential, large away followings and they support a club whose 'rightful' place is in the big league.

The media thinks; They really dont seem that interested, see's Saints as a bit boring. Acknowlege Saints a great place for bringing through talent oh and MLT.

The reality (Probably is); Excellent academy, well supported, diverse support, very arrogant, not very vocal, Been amongst the top clubs a long time, sanctamonious, lacking an identity, uneventful and a bit non-descript.

I'll leave it to others, in responding to the above crap. You really are delusional PES, up there with the best of your six fingered, heavily gilled relations.

As far as WUMs go PES, its not bad but a bit too obvious to get many genuine bites.

Only a delusional Saints fan would tell you we're a big club with enormous potential. We're a big enough club to consider that the Premier League is our level (i.e. we attract enough fans to be run sustainably rather than having 20K fans and relying on investment). The media interest in us is fairly equal in comparison to other clubs our size; in simple terms, we're not in the group of elite champions league clubs, and we're not in the 3 or 4 clubs outside that (Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle); therefore the Premier League don't really give a sh*t about us.

I do enjoy it when fans of small clubs tell Saints fans that they're arrogant; simply for pointing out that we're a bigger club than them. A cup each aside, both Saints and Pompey haven't really won anything noteworthy in 2 or 3 generations; but in general comparison terms our fanbase, facilities and league standing show that we're a bigger club than you. That's not arrogance, its a simple fact. In contrast, we're a tiny club compared to others in our league, so it matters little who is the biggest south coast team, its like 2 bald blokes arguing over a comb, no-one outside of the county cares.

As for not very vocal, it must have been a different saints crowd that Gary Neville kept eulogising about when we played United. We're not the loudest set of supporters by any stretch, but then we have never claimed to be anything of the sort, and we don't hang our hats on convincing ourselves it is such in some mistakenly deluded quest to feel good about ourselves.

Pompey Fans

Saints Fans

Ok, i'll bite. ;) My perception of the above:

Pompey Fans

Pompey Fans think; Yes, the truly and genuinely think they are the best around. There is an extremely vocal core, granted, but that core seems to be at most around 7,000. At times like this you see what the true strength in depth of a club is, the 10,000 home fans for the Swindon game is a real eye opener. Some of the away attendances towards the end of their spell in the Premier League were utterly embarrassing. It must be something to do with the culture of living on Portsea Island. A reasonably sized city that look after their own and believe their own hype.

The media thinks; Pompey Are Gutsy, Noisy, Loyal, Crisis riden money-spunkers. - Yes, coupled with the love of a fairy tale they will have talked you up. The unravelling of the club's finances has allowed them to go with the 'poor fans' stories. Appealling to the lowest common denominator, no analysis, just looking at the surface image.

The reality (Probably is); A club with a fanbase and equivalent history to the size of Preston North End. With Fans that are good at being loud rather then numerous, think Millwall with a little more to show for it.

Saints Fans

I think; We are a good sized club with a decent history. Due to poor running at board level we didn't push on and really become one of the elite in the 1980's but given our good sized fanbase (18-20k crowds in League 1) we should certainly be placed in the top 30 clubs in the country on fanbase alone, arguably top 20. Our Stadium is more then fit for purpose currently and our other infrastructure helps us to push on. We may not be the most vocal, but then we don't need to be.

The media thinks; Not a lot, we generally fly under their radar. So be it, lessens the pressure. When there is a good news story to tell (Our fans at the FA Cup final 2003, The record ticket sales at the 2010 JPT final) then it is told.

The reality (Probably is); Superbly structured with a very good fanbase, arguably the largest on the South Coast (With Brighton now rivalling Portsmouth for second.) Starting to become a little more interesting again but despite perceptions of arrogance by rival fanbases, we never seem too inclined to shout about it, we're quite content as we are.

Barcelona think... http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/...phy-in-england

ESPN think.... "Of this season's promoted trio, Southampton is undoubtedly the most exciting side." & "Southampton, on the other hand, is a very likeable side. There are plenty of creative midfielders, plenty of direct attackers and a couple of handy strikers. The problem, however, is at the back"

I think - Fuk off pompey.

Pompey Fans

Saints Fans

Well personally I think it's an interesting point. I think the media perception is different to reality. From our perspective it probably is difficult for media types to differentiate between us, Norwich, Derby or any other decent provincial club - we've all got good stadia (maybe a bit bland), decent attendances but no - to an outsider we probably don't stand out particularly. There are some things you could mention like the biggest single attendance for a club at the new Wembley when we got to the JPT final (compare that to your efforts to sell your allocation in the FA Cup final). We could talk about attendances and circumstances all day though so let's not get into that debate. The point is probably valid that when journalists and pundits talk about Southampton then the the fans are not the first thing that are mentioned - no disgrace in that as we've got other things to talk about.

So the question is why do Pompey supporters have such a prominence in their media identity that is ironically inversely proportional to their actual support? Two reasons for me, and that's that there really isn't much else to talk about. Shambles of a stadium, plenty of debt, no academy, poor team, and a soap opera for owners - nothing to take any positive from there and because a lot of journos like to have a bit of balance then what can they point to? That Tw*t With The Bell. Unfortunately for your lot I think for the outside world that is what defines you and personally I wouldn't be happy about that. If you didn't have him then you'd just look like any other badly run club and there are plenty of them around.

Well personally I think it's an interesting point. I think the media perception is different to reality. From our perspective it probably is difficult for media types to differentiate between us, Norwich, Derby or any other decent provincial club - we've all got good stadia (maybe a bit bland), decent attendances but no - to an outsider we probably don't stand out particularly. There are some things you could mention like the biggest single attendance for a club at the new Wembley when we got to the JPT final (compare that to your efforts to sell your allocation in the FA Cup final). We could talk about attendances and circumstances all day though so let's not get into that debate. The point is probably valid that when journalists and pundits talk about Southampton then the the fans are not the first thing that are mentioned - no disgrace in that as we've got other things to talk about.

So the question is why do Pompey supporters have such a prominence in their media identity that is ironically inversely proportional to their actual support? Two reasons for me, and that's that there really isn't much else to talk about. Shambles of a stadium, plenty of debt, no academy, poor team, and a soap opera for owners - nothing to take any positive from there and because a lot of journos like to have a bit of balance then what can they point to? That Tw*t With The Bell. Unfortunately for your lot I think for the outside world that is what defines you and personally I wouldn't be happy about that. If you didn't have him then you'd just look like any other badly run club and there are plenty of them around.

Like when the Dell was touted as a great little atmospheric ground because the only alternative to that would be to call it a derelict little craphole.

Pompey Fans

Saints Fans

Are we discussing the perception and reality of the clubs fans or the actual clubs themselves, as you seem to dip in and out.

You're right the media don't mention our fans much. On the flip side the media can't stop talking about you uber fans. It's back page news every week just how amazing they are. The team and financial management hardly get a mention.

It surprises me actually as to why they do not feel patronised by the media's perception of them? They were the beloved underdog in many parts of the media a few years ago, their vocal fans saluted for their noise and bluster, "Aw, bless them....."

They were saluted because they were small time and competing with the big boys.

We do not get the same attention because there isn't the same novelty in having a Derby County, an Ipswich or a Southampton in the Premier League.

Pompey Fans

Saints Fans

i think some of your points are valid. Pompey for most of my life were just another Rochdale in the eyes of the media. Then came the great escape under Ball when you looked as though you going to be relegated to the old 3rd?division . To be fair to your support , the constant beating of the drum, bell and trumpet seemed to galvanise the team and you stayed up on the last day. Because you had only a small crowd at that time and in the main all joined in it caught on and when things started to improve the JCL's joined in as well. You got promotion and the media started to feed the stereotypical 'great fans'

Stoke City have now taken over as the 'Greatest fans' in the medias eyes and as time goes by you will be the club that cheated but have a small core of great fans. The stadium you have is ideal to create a hostile atmosphere, but you are now finding that players in the lower leagues are used to poor facilities and so are not as intimidated as the big clubs were.

The Dell is well recorded as the ground the big teams didnt like visiting for very much the same reason FP did. We moved and it has taken nearly 10 years for fans to realise that SMS is intimidating and creates tremendous atmospheres. I think of all games I have ever been to at home, Norwich in our relegation season was immense, the noise was incredible, some of the 'derby' games as well.

The media always like the weirdos, just look at any pre-match preamble and the cameras outside the grounds are always looking for the village idiot to talk to, all clubs have them. Of course you are the world leaders in that, as you have made your biggest one the face of Portsmouth.

Now you are back in the lower leagues your column inches are negligible and the 'bestest fans' tag is diminishing as you fade away.

IMO Saints are not a big club, but they are the biggest in the South coast, and have been for decades. There was a tipping point under Hr, then if you had got your ground things may have been different. You spent your future on having a cup final team and unfortunately for you that does not mean much when you are broke and needed to be sold.

the Skates are noisy, but they do not sing louder than anyone else. They just have a frickin stupid bell and drum going for the entire game. Watching the Crawley game, there were large periods of it where you could not hear a single word being sung, just that bl00dy ring ring, thump thump.

If that is what is needed to be classed as the bestest in the world, then you can keep it quite honestly.

OK, which one of you nutjobs is masquerading under the username "Mr Disgusted" over on POL? There's no way this lad is anything other than a Saint on a wind-up, he's brilliant. His latest offering is a beauty:

Our players shouldn't need any motivation. How many of them have played for a club with such history or supporters with such passion as Pompey? That being so, if they want to continue, they should feel incentivised...at least up to January. Don't perform? Bye-bye in January

I think he's my favourite poster over there (apart from Frattoniser of course, he's the best).

Pompey Fans

Saints Fans

I doubt that any of our Premier League competitors would consider us to be either arrogant or sanctimonious !

Only the Skates believe this because, by your own admission, they are 'unimaginative' (thick!), 'underclass' (pikeys!), 'fan numbers not especially loyal' (the few!), 'evoke strong opinions' (cheating b#stards!) - TBF though, you can be quite noisy but the corrugated roofs may well be the cause of this !!

the Skates are noisy, but they do not sing louder than anyone else. They just have a frickin stupid bell and drum going for the entire game. Watching the Crawley game, there were large periods of it where you could not hear a single word being sung, just that bl00dy ring ring, thump thump.

If that is what is needed to be classed as the bestest in the world, then you can keep it quite honestly.

We used to have a sayng when I was growing up in the Itchen Valley "empty barrels make the most noise'

Well there's some truth to this: they probably have little else in their lives and if you're desperate then yes, you'll strain every sinew in the forlorn hope that, somehow, it will just make that tiny scrap of difference that carries the day. Bless

Excellent replies to my question earlier. I liked Nick's best, but I think they were on the whole as fair minded as its possible for rival fans to be. Except for Chez, sarcastic *****! ;)

Ok new question. Sock puppets. It has been alluded to that they are being used on various message boards & media outlets. This is all new to me as until about 20 minutes ago I thought a sock puppet was a masturbation device. Anyway, it's been suggested that a previous chairmen of yours who likes hockey, old peoples homes and duck hunting, employed them to influence opinion & divide your fans. What was that all about and why? Genuine question to anyone who knows.

Excellent replies to my question earlier. I liked Nick's best, but I think they were on the whole as fair minded as its possible for rival fans to be. Except for Chez, sarcastic *****! ;)

Ok new question. Sock puppets. It has been alluded to that they are being used on various message boards & media outlets. This is all new to me as until about 20 minutes ago I thought a sock puppet was a masturbation device. Anyway, it's been suggested that a previous chairmen of yours who likes hockey, old peoples homes and duck hunting, employed them to influence opinion & divide your fans. What was that all about and why? Genuine question to anyone who knows.

Lowe had a weird idea that he could control the fan base by employing a PR firm. This PR firm started posting on the old saintsforever with ridiculous statements of support for Lowe until they were traced back to their PR offices and publicly outed. It was amusing.

Lowe had a weird idea that he could control the fan base by employing a PR firm. This PR firm started posting on the old saintsforever with ridiculous statements of support for Lowe until they were traced back to their PR offices and publicly outed. It was amusing.

I see, i did wonder. Loads of 'New' names popping up all over the place on various message boards, asking how to get refunds on pledges, supportive of Chainrai and slagging off the PST. I genuinely thought it was you guys, but I reckon you'd be more subtle than this influx! Seriously though, it's nasty sh*t that scummy PR companies even exist that do this sort of thing.

I see, i did wonder. Loads of 'New' names popping up all over the place on various message boards, asking how to get refunds on pledges, supportive of Chainrai and slagging off the PST. I genuinely thought it was you guys, but I reckon you'd be more subtle than this influx! Seriously though, it's nasty sh*t that scummy PR companies even exist that do this sort of thing.

Finally! Something we can all agree on! (Maybe) :)

I had a inkling one bid might have come from Dubai Phil ( walking with golf stars) corporation 2012.

Another from Rosie Redknap (Virgin Isle) corp.

And of course Donald Trump because he recognises the beauty and heritage of that quaint shed and the isolated island way of life. He wants to add them to his portfolio of world heritage sites and preserve the early life forms that roam entrapped within the unique bubble.

...... News just in ....... Donald Trump plans to tidy up the Solent , remove the Isle of Wight as it ruins the true concept of what an island should be. There is only one island on the south coast and that's Portsea Island.

Edited by tony13579

I had a inkling one bid might have come from Dubai Phil ( walking with golf stars) corporation 2012.

And of course Donald Trump because he recognises the beauty and heritage of that quaint shed and the isolated island way of life. He wants to add them to his portfolio of world heritage sites and preserve the early life forms that roam entrapped within the unique bubble.

...... News just in ....... Donald Trump plans to tidy up the Solent , remove the Isle of Wight as it ruins the true concept of what an island should be. There is only one island on the south coast and that's Portsea Island.

:lol:

Seriously though, it's nasty sh*t that scummy PR companies even exist that do this sort of thing.
t's the people that employ them that to do this that you should be erked with, not the PR companies themselves. Doubt I'll believe an online review ever again.

i think some of your points are valid. Pompey for most of my life were just another Rochdale in the eyes of the media. Then came the great escape under Ball when you looked as though you going to be relegated to the old 3rd?division . To be fair to your support , the constant beating of the drum, bell and trumpet seemed to galvanise the team and you stayed up on the last day. Because you had only a small crowd at that time and in the main all joined in it caught on and when things started to improve the JCL's joined in as well. You got promotion and the media started to feed the stereotypical 'great fans'

Stoke City have now taken over as the 'Greatest fans' in the medias eyes and as time goes by you will be the club that cheated but have a small core of great fans. The stadium you have is ideal to create a hostile atmosphere, but you are now finding that players in the lower leagues are used to poor facilities and so are not as intimidated as the big clubs were.

The Dell is well recorded as the ground the big teams didnt like visiting for very much the same reason FP did. We moved and it has taken nearly 10 years for fans to realise that SMS is intimidating and creates tremendous atmospheres. I think of all games I have ever been to at home, Norwich in our relegation season was immense, the noise was incredible, some of the 'derby' games as well.

The media always like the weirdos, just look at any pre-match preamble and the cameras outside the grounds are always looking for the village idiot to talk to, all clubs have them. Of course you are the world leaders in that, as you have made your biggest one the face of Portsmouth.

Now you are back in the lower leagues your column inches are negligible and the 'bestest fans' tag is diminishing as you fade away.

IMO Saints are not a big club, but they are the biggest in the South coast, and have been for decades. There was a tipping point under Hr, then if you had got your ground things may have been different. You spent your future on having a cup final team and unfortunately for you that does not mean much when you are broke and needed to be sold.

Since 1960. Comparative records in perspective

Years in 1st Tier

Saints 35 Pompey 8

2nd Tier

Saints 15 Pompey 36

3rd Tier

Saints 2 Pompey 6

4th Tier

Saints - Pompey 2

Average League position (out of 92 clubs)

Saints 11th Pompey 20th

Average league Attendance

Saints 19,498 Pompey 14,050 (which a larger capacity stadium for the majority of the time!!)

Seasons in the higher position

Saints 45 Pompey 7

Seasons with the higher average League attendance

Saints 49 Pompey 3

etc etc.........

Since 1960. Comparative records in perspective

Years in 1st Tier

Saints 35 Pompey 8

2nd Tier

Saints 15 Pompey 36

3rd Tier

Saints 2 Pompey 6

4th Tier

Saints - Pompey 2

Average League position (out of 92 clubs)

Saints 11th Pompey 20th

Average league Attendance

Saints 19,498 Pompey 14,050 (which a larger capacity stadium for the majority of the time!!)

Seasons in the higher position

Saints 45 Pompey 7

Seasons with the higher average League attendance

Saints 49 Pompey 3

etc etc.........

yep Saints are the biggest football club on the South Coast, have been since the 60's

Will he also be removing Hayling Island? Where will Storrie live then?

I think those posts were outed within minutes; they stood out like a sore thumb so it didn't take an investigative genius to put 2 and 2 together. Pretty sure the Echo ran with the story so that the club then publicly distanced themselves from the PR company.

Mikey Wilde was also a poster on here / saintsforever; curiously under the username SaintMarc, if I recall correctly. Everntually everyone knew it was him, and he answered direct questions as himself, but its odd he chose that user name, and I assume was posting anonymously until the point he was outed.

As for anyone posting anonymously on Pompey sites and commenting on the Trust and rival bids; that's really sad, why would anyone choose to do that..................

There is a wonderful irony in the money for Oxlade-Chamberlain paying for years of running the academy ....with him having come from portsmouth , sent to us by his father, their own coach. Money they could have received if they'd invested in an academy instead of spending eg, £120k a week for an ageing England centre half.

Beautifully put!

Been away in Germany for 3 days and catching up....note to self, 2 days must be maximum as it takes an equal period to catch up on this thread.

you're lucky there's nothing happening at the moment.

Take a fortnight's holiday in a busy time when Ho was spouting and you'd miss two News webchats for simpletons, offers from the Redditch branch of Mr Clive, a couple of court actions and a brothel visit.

That's when you lose a week of your life catching up.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})