Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

We're all missing something obvious here.

Why the heck does anyone think The Football League will let a brand new company into the league in place of the liquidated Pompey? They've remained diplomatically quiet thus far, only pointing out that Pompey aren't under their jusidiction yet.

This talk of Pompey being liquidated could well be talk of the end of the football club as a whole I reckon.

Why the heck does anyone think The Football League will let a brand new company into the league in place of the liquidated Pompey? They've remained diplomatically quiet thus far, only pointing out that Pompey aren't under their jusidiction yet.

This talk of Pompey being liquidated could well be talk of the end of the football club as a whole I reckon.

Indeed - I asked the very same question a few weeks back. You or I couldn't form a new football club and expect the Football League Championship to accept our application to join at that level, so why would they entertain an application from a new club that happen to have 'Portsmouth' in their name?

They'll either be a new club or they won't, surely?

Lol:

PORTSMOUTH are hoping to persuade goalkeeper David James to take over as player-manager after Avram Grant resigned last night.

Grant is set to complete his move to West Ham as soon as possible. It has been an open secret for weeks that he is the No1 target for new Hammers owners David Gold and David Sullivan to replace Gianfranco Zola.

Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou is now looking for a new boss and said: “I would certainly not rule David James out of the reckoning. He obviously wants to go into management. Whether or not it is too early for him I don’t know but he is one of the most articulate guys I know.

“I am sure he will do a good job and I will be speaking to him about it.”

Grant’s future became more complicated, with Portsmouth, as revealed in the Daily Express, attempting to offload Tal Ben Haim to West Ham to get the player off their wage bill. Grant, though, was conciliatory in a statement and his resignation must be seen as a clear signal that he wants to get his move to the Hammers rubber-stamped sooner rather than later.

Grant said: “This was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to take in my career. After a lot of soul-searching, and under the circumstances, I’m taking a different direction.

“It has been a difficult and complex year for us, but at the same time, it has been a wonderful and uplifting professional and personal experience. I have been inundated with letters and emails from fans. Many have brought tears to my eyes.

“I will never forget you, the loyal fans of Pompey who helped me protect the team under such complex circumstances. There are few teams in the world that have fans as passionate and devoted as you are.

“It has been a great experience to be part of one of the most wonderful occurrences that has happened in the history of British football and also shows that even in the most desperate times, loyalty, devotion, professionalism and passion can be demonstrated.”

David James as Manager? I hope so. During the most turbulent close season in the clubs history Jamo will be where? Grooming his cornrows on the veldt I would imagine and being grateful as **** that he is thousands of miles away from Portsmouth.

I'll stand in for him over the summer.

On DJ's return from South Africa....

CB "David welcome back"

DJ "How's the squad?"

CB "Good news there, I 've been busy. I have got rid of all that dead wood that got us relegated and have assembled a new team. Now I know at first glance most would regard these players as "tossers" however but AA is well pleased as I have managed to stay below the wage cap. It was £10k / wk for the whole team?"

Lol:

PORTSMOUTH are hoping to persuade goalkeeper David James to take over as player-manager after Avram Grant resigned last night.

Grant is set to complete his move to West Ham as soon as possible. It has been an open secret for weeks that he is the No1 target for new Hammers owners David Gold and David Sullivan to replace Gianfranco Zola.

Portsmouth administrator Andrew Andronikou is now looking for a new boss and said: “I would certainly not rule David James out of the reckoning. He obviously wants to go into management. Whether or not it is too early for him I don’t know but he is one of the most articulate guys I know.

“I am sure he will do a good job and I will be speaking to him about it.”

Grant’s future became more complicated, with Portsmouth, as revealed in the Daily Express, attempting to offload Tal Ben Haim to West Ham to get the player off their wage bill. Grant, though, was conciliatory in a statement and his resignation must be seen as a clear signal that he wants to get his move to the Hammers rubber-stamped sooner rather than later.

Grant said: “This was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to take in my career. After a lot of soul-searching, and under the circumstances, I’m taking a different direction.

“It has been a difficult and complex year for us, but at the same time, it has been a wonderful and uplifting professional and personal experience. I have been inundated with letters and emails from fans. Many have brought tears to my eyes.

“I will never forget you, the loyal fans of Pompey who helped me protect the team under such complex circumstances. There are few teams in the world that have fans as passionate and devoted as you are.

“It has been a great experience to be part of one of the most wonderful occurrences that has happened in the history of British football and also shows that even in the most desperate times, loyalty, devotion, professionalism and passion can be demonstrated.”

Stephen Fry added to AA shortlist based on this criteria.

"This was one of the most difficult decisions I've had to take in my football career," said Grant.

:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8696013.stm

I was physically sick at this moment in his diatribe:

"Portsmouth has given me a feeling of home away from home. I might be leaving Portsmouth physically, but you cannot take Portsmouth away from me and my heart."

Yeah effing right mate. Stay and try to save the club you love so desperately or eff off and take the money elsewhere less than a week after Wembley. How long before he starts oozing love for the Hammers fans.

The man is a w*nkspanner of the very first order - no wonder he felt so at home down there.

I felt almost physically sick when I read this bit :- “It has been a great experience to be part of one of the most wonderful occurrences that has happened in the history of British football and also shows that even in the most desperate times, loyalty, devotion, professionalism and passion can be demonstrated.”:toimonster::mad:

Indeed - I asked the very same question a few weeks back. You or I couldn't form a new football club and expect the Football League Championship to accept our application to join at that level, so why would they entertain an application from a new club that happen to have 'Portsmouth' in their name?

They'll either be a new club or they won't, surely?

Plenty of clubs have set up under a new company name before and still got their share but I don't think it has ever happened mid-season so at the very least I would guess it leaves the door open for a points penalty. The FL will be itching to slap a penalty on them. As we, Leeds, Bournemouth etc found out they only need half an excuse.

If you can liquidate a company and just set up a new one mid season without a penalty then surely club's won't ever go into administration again?

I think this is what is confusing a lot of people. how 9 months down the line (early next year) can the current company be liquidated and a new one set up. No one knows on here how this is going to work so I understand. Surely they can't just wipe away nearly 140 million of debt by effectively changing their name and carrying on as normal.

I also believe the majority of talk relating to this has come from AA so he's probably a million miles away from reality

If you can liquidate a company and just set up a new one mid season without a penalty then surely club's won't ever go into administration again?

Don't worry there WILL be a penalty. Look, this trick is just so they can go through the books forensically, looking for what they think isthere. Its much easier if the company is closed as you have a static company to work with, not one thats still trading and having money going in and out still.

Does the ceiling of £10k a week apply to the manager as well? If so will David James "throw away" £1.5m a year to become their manager? I think not!

Player/Manager I am sure, so that's 10K for each.

I can't believe after all the damage Story teller has down to Pompey and he is still there. All be it in an consultants role. Don't get me wrong as a saints fan I am glad he is still there as it looks like he is intending to damage them even further if his last statement from the BBC site is true.

"Storrie also denied that Grant's departure would be followed by the sale of much of the first-team squad. "It is not so many as people think. Probably about three or four," he said when asked how many players might leave."

Well if that is all who is leaving they aren't going to make much in player sales or save much reducing the wage bill. I think Peter Storrie leaves in a different world inside his own head. I wonder what the pompey fans think of this wisdom and him remaining at the club in this consultancy role?

edit

Well if that is all who is leaving they aren't going to make much in player sales or save much reducing the wage bill. I think Peter Storrie LIVES in a different world inside his own head. I wonder what the pompey fans think of this wisdom and him remaining at the club in this consultancy role?

just curious, how are they financing the business at the moment?

is someone slipping parachute payments under the counter or is Chanrai pouring his children's inheritance down a black hole?

There's a lot of wages that need to be paid before they see any income and every other club that has gone into admin has struggled from week to week.

They seem to be carrying on regardless - so as Dinenage would say, how?

Does the ceiling of £10k a week apply to the manager as well? If so will David James "throw away" £1.5m a year to become their manager? I think not!

It is a break into management that he might not get elsewhere. To get your first management job in the top two tiers of English football is extremely lucky. It is also a club he already knows well.

David James has apparently told the administrator that he wants to be considered for the manager's job!

How many goalkeepers have made a successful jump into management?

I can only think of Kevin Blackwell, off the top of my head.

Julio Iglesias was a keeper wasn't he? As was Albert Camus.

I can't believe after all the damage Story teller has down to Pompey and he is still there. All be it in an consultants role. Don't get me wrong as a saints fan I am glad he is still there as it looks like he is intending to damage them even further if his last statement from the BBC site is true.

"Storrie also denied that Grant's departure would be followed by the sale of much of the first-team squad. "It is not so many as people think. Probably about three or four," he said when asked how many players might leave."

Well if that is all who is leaving they aren't going to make much in player sales or save much reducing the wage bill. I think Peter Storrie leaves in a different world inside his own head. I wonder what the pompey fans think of this wisdom and him remaining at the club in this consultancy role?

The term consultant satisfies his vain pompous ego and means that AA can ask him questions as stuff is uncovered. Nothing more.

just curious, how are they financing the business at the moment?

is someone slipping parachute payments under the counter or is Chanrai pouring his children's inheritance down a black hole?

There's a lot of wages that need to be paid before they see any income and every other club that has gone into admin has struggled from week to week.

They seem to be carrying on regardless - so as Dinenage would say, how?

it was all laid out in the Creditors statement. Can't remember how they are financing the club, but I do recall that Portpin had made a £15m loan facility available. At the time the creditors statement was released that facility was unused.

Personally think that Chanrai feels that if he can shed the debts then poopey will be a cash cow. He may have reckoned without the poor cash flow of a CCC club, and those "hard to remove" PL failures of players on multiples of £10k per week.

How many goalkeepers have made a successful jump into management?

I can only think of Kevin Blackwell, off the top of my head.

Julio Iglesias was a keeper wasn't he? As was Albert Camus.

Dino Zoff won the Coppa Italia & UEFA cup with Juventus & took Italy to Runners-up in Euro 2000, but apart from Blackwell can't thing of anymore.

More Storries

Peter Storrie was on Sky Sports News this morning, shrugging his way through an interview and looking very hard at work.

All of which reminded us of an interview Storrie gave to The Portsmouth News in 2005, as most Pompey fans were chuckling heartily at those foolish spendthrifts down the coast at Southampton, who at the time had debts of £23million.

Tutt-tutted Storrie: "If you chase dreams and let finances get out of control, you go out of business.

"But if you're clever, that doesn't happen. It all boils down to not getting into debt. You can't spend more than the income coming in. That's why we're trying to make prudent decisions.

"Wages and transfer fees are where the money goes. That's the thing you can't let spiral. The wage bill has to be sensible in relation to the income.

"We're getting the balance right. We brought in too many players in the past, but now we're remedying that."

Arthur Conan-Doyle played in goal for Pompey...

...if only he was still around to figure out where all the money went.

Caption Competition:

sherlock.jpg

Ah Watson , how do you fancy becoming the new manager of Pompey

I think Pope John Paul II also was, and Luciano Pavarotti certainly was.

Shilton had a go at Plymouth. Didn't do much. Think Flowers had a go at being an assistant somewhere. Believe the Grobb tried his hand in South Africa and may even have been national boss of Zimbabwe. Southall possibly tried it at very lower league level.

Apart from those I can't think of any more of the top of my head.

Arthur Conan-Doyle played in goal for Pompey...

...if only he was still around to figure out where all the money went.

Caption Competition:

sherlock.jpg

So much mystery here, Watson.

Why did these simple, inbred folk worship first the Storyteller, then the Toad-faced one when there is so little worth worshipping?

How did they find so many potless sheiks?

Why does that Android fellow lie about everything when he's meant to be helping them?

And most of all, what is the fecking point of that C*nt with a Bell?

Plenty of clubs have set up under a new company name before and still got their share but I don't think it has ever happened mid-season so at the very least I would guess it leaves the door open for a points penalty. The FL will be itching to slap a penalty on them. As we, Leeds, Bournemouth etc found out they only need half an excuse.

I dont mind if the liquidate and start a new company, but then they should surely have to start from the bottom again and work their way back up. Ala Aldershot.

And most of all, what is the fecking point of that C*nt with a Bell?

Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle's inspiration for Sherlock Holmes was Dr. Joseph Bell. Can it be, after all these years, that using a madman as a medium, Conan-Doyle is reminding us of this fact? What other clues is he leaving us? What is the significance of the invisible sheik? Why has a Greek imbecile taken over the football club, while a shadowy Asian lurks in the background? What do John W******d's tattoo's really say?

so AA's not sure if James is ready for management then...

Is David James impressed to hear a crap bean-counter announcing his opinion on an international footballer's credentials??

In defence of the one worthy human being on their books one might observe that he could fairly respond -

'stick to book-cooking and thieving you crook, stick your football opinions where the sun don't shine!'

The administrator is meant to be sorting the business for creditors not posing about in the papers and signing autographs, methinks he's enjoying the glamour and the bright lights of downtown Fratton too much.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})