The official unofficial January transfer targets thread..

SB

If there's no news by midday tomorrow I will start to become a little concerned. We certainly need to strengthen in a number of areas and I forsee a problem with confidence evaporating if we continue to lose games - especially at home. We've done very well so far - sustaining the effort was always going to be an issue.

Simply put...we will not go up if we don't add 3-4 quality additions in this window...anyone who says otherwise doesn't have a clue about football, the championship or the strenght of the saints squad

It's funny, because I look at the league table, and more than halfway through the season this squad has us sitting top.

Will be delighted if we make signings, but wont be writing off promotion if we can't.

Clearly though I don't have a clue about football.

It's funny, because I look at the league table, and more than halfway through the season this squad has us sitting top.

Will be delighted if we make signings, but wont be writing off promotion if we can't.

Clearly though I don't have a clue about football.

He only posts when he wants to moan.

I'm glad there's some posters with an ounce of common sense. I've been losing faith. I don't get it really, everyone on here has seen enough transfer windows to know how it works, yet we get the same complaints every time. I guess other clubs have similar fans who don't get it, or just like getting angry at something, but it doesn't make any sense.

Blimey, two sensible posts in one day shocker lol!! Totally agree!

Chris Wood has joined Bristol City on loan. Thought he could have done a job for us for the rest of the season.

Interesting - probably a good move for Bristol City, but also suggests that a Maynard deal may be almost complete with someone? Swansea seem favourites:

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Leroy-Lita-added-Swansea-City-s-bid-Bristol/story-14388775-detail/story.html

Only seem Dobbie a couple of times but looks a pretty intelligent player who likes to drop off and link play - anyone else seen him play more?

If we were to sign him i guess it would mean Rickie being the out and out striker and not doing so much of the link-up stuff that he does well. Wonder if NA would be happy to change tactics like that - no doubt Rickie can do it of course, sometimes a little frustrating when he is the one crossing from out wide for example, when you'd ideally like him getting on the end of the cross.

Anyone else wondering if Lee (and Hooiveld) may actually be it for now?

Up front, when Lambert is available we'll have one 'first on the team sheet' striker and Lee, Guly, Connolly (and maybe Barnard?) fighting for the place alongside him. Midfield is pretty solid with chaplow still to retun one day. Defence -- loads of full backs and 3 CBs fit most of the time.

I'd love to see a 'marquee' signing, but would we have signed Lee if we were going for a big name striker as well?

Anyone else wondering if Lee (and Hooiveld) may actually be it for now?

Up front, when Lambert is available we'll have one 'first on the team sheet' striker and Lee, Guly, Connolly (and maybe Barnard?) fighting for the place alongside him. Midfield is pretty solid with chaplow still to retun one day. Defence -- loads of full backs and 3 CBs fit most of the time.

I'd love to see a 'marquee' signing, but would we have signed Lee if we were going for a big name striker as well?

Considering we were approaching Celtic about Hooper after the club revealed we were in for Lee, I think Adkins wants two strikers in during this window. After all, excluding Lee and Lambert, our options at the moment are either an out of position player like Guly, injury concerns like Barnard and DC or someone who doesn't really belong in this league inJonathon Forte

Other than that, the interest in Commons suggests they want a wide man. Hopefully if we sign one they are direct and aggressive in their forward play (like Chaplow)

Echo article also implied we are looking at further CB cover in addition to Hooiveld, which would be sensible given Seabourne's status and Jaidi's advancing years/injuries.

Considering we were approaching Celtic about Hooper after the club revealed we were in for Lee, I think Adkins wants two strikers in during this window. After all, excluding Lee and Lambert, our options at the moment are either an out of position player like Guly, injury concerns like Barnard and DC or someone who doesn't really belong in this league inJonathon Forte

Other than that, the interest in Commons suggests they want a wide man. Hopefully if we sign one they are direct and aggressive in their forward play (like Chaplow)

Echo article also implied we are looking at further CB cover in addition to Hooiveld, which would be sensible given Seabourne's status and Jaidi's advancing years/injuries.

Exactly what we need IMO. What we've been largely missing since Chamberlain left- someone to get their head down and run at the defence.

Well i'm right in thinking you don't have much inside info on us?

Fulham and QPR are the teams you report on, unless you have contacts i am unaware of.

He may cover QPR and Fulham but he works for the Press Association, in an office too I would imagine. Someone else may know things. He's not a one man media agency.

I could not agree more. I am pretty useless.

To be fair you don't often come up with Saints news and when you last did, about a week ago, it was to say that we didn't hold interest in Billy Sharp and that Puncheon would have a chat with the management after the Coventry game. Things, I'm fairly certain, Adkins had told us in his interview the day before.

To be fair you don't often come up with Saints news and when you last did, about a week ago, it was to say that we didn't hold interest in Billy Sharp and that Puncheon would have a chat with the management after the Coventry game. Things, I'm fairly certain, Adkins had told us in his interview the day before.

True, because I predominantly cover London football. Southampton is my team so I utilise my contacts as and when I can for stories.

Simon Peach is hardly useful, just seems to repeat whatever people already have reported.

You've got your ear to the ground better than most on here. Are there any snippets of rumours that could be interesting or any further news on the Hooper stuff? We're getting a bit bored now, it's been like 1 day since we knew Lee was definitely joining, we need more info or some people around here will say we'll sink like a stone...

You've got your ear to the ground better than most on here. Are there any snippets of rumours that could be interesting or any further news on the Hooper stuff? We're getting a bit bored now, it's been like 1 day since we knew Lee was definitely joining, we need more info or some people around here will say we'll sink like a stone...

Unless you support a team in the top 6 of the Premier League (or QPR) then working at Sky Sports doesn't get you a lot of inside info.

I don't think we'll spend just for the sake of it. If top targets like Hooper aren't available, I think it's very possible we'll just leave it, go for loans etc. In many ways it's sensible as we don't know what league we'll be in. i.e. we could attract better players in the summer. If we went up, Hooper would be likely, so maybe Adkins doesn't want to spend the money on what he views as lesser strikers now? A risk, yes, as getting up is the important bit, but he probably has faith in Lambert, Lee, Guly, Barnard, De Ridder, Connolly and even Hoskins. Quite a lot of options and loan window still open for ages.

The Iago loan sounds feasible if he can't get Commons, seems to want another creative midfielder.

Not really all that astute, to decide that the club will not spend just for the sake of it. Does any club do that? (Nicola to Nigel, "as we can't agree a fee for any of your targets, I'm going to buy a player you don't want, just because the money is burning a hole in my pocket").

There are 21 games to play at the moment but when the transfer window closes there will be 18. Getting the best possible results from the remaining v January games is important and since the manager has said very clearly that he wants players in, it makes complete sense to get them into the side as a soon as possible to maximise the impact on results.

Something I have said REPEATEDLY.

"We have a good squad of players here, we are trying to improve that, but there aren't many better players, especially in the Championship so sometimes you have to look beyond that."

From Nigel himself. No fab four (Jutkiewicz, Sharp, Maynard, Rodriguez). The club HAS to look beyond this country, as we did with Papa Waigo, De Ridder, Guly...

Similar to our league 2 (bottom half) i suppose?

Couple of good youngsters - Donnelly making most noise right now! Celtic & Swansea linked

Either they're going for an entire team of Donnellys at Swansea or you've got them all muddled up.

Swansea signed Rory Donnelly from Cliftonville...think that's in Ireland.

To me, reading Nigel's comments today, it seems we're being frustrated at the clubs prices of players and the wages these guys want in effectively englands 2nd division.

His comments about going abroad are sensible and you'd assume...and hope we've got a good list of available European players, as with our signings of Papa, Guly, Lee etc. At this moment in time I'd say more ''surprise'' signings from Europe will happen, rather than anything from this league which is ridiculously over priced.

£2m for Lukas shows exactly how overvalued players are at this level.

To me, reading Nigel's comments today, it seems we're being frustrated at the clubs prices of players and the wages these guys want in effectively englands 2nd division.

His comments about going abroad are sensible and you'd assume...and hope we've got a good list of available European players, as with our signings of Papa, Guly, Lee etc. At this moment in time I'd say more ''surprise'' signings from Europe will happen, rather than anything from this league which is ridiculously over priced.

£2m for Lukas shows exactly how overvalued players are at this level.

Poyet has commented recently that with the wage structure they have Brighton are being priced out of the market both for players they want to buy and players they want to keep.

Poyet has commented recently that with the wage structure they have Brighton are being priced out of the market both for players they want to buy and players they want to keep.

It could be the same for us, but you'd hope it's dynamic enough to adjust the higher we go.....you can't have the same wage cap going for the premier league, as we had in L1. It won't work and we won't be able to improve the squad.

I hope that's not the case with us and we're a little 'dynamic' in how it works..

Either they're going for an entire team of Donnellys at Swansea or you've got them all muddled up.

Swansea signed Rory Donnelly from Cliftonville...think that's in Ireland.

Correct, Cliftonville is a club in North Belfast. Donnelly is a bit special and has scored some cracking goals - he will do well for Swansea.

Something I have said REPEATEDLY.

"We have a good squad of players here, we are trying to improve that, but there aren't many better players, especially in the Championship so sometimes you have to look beyond that."

From Nigel himself.

there are better players, just not affordable better players. I'd take Wilfried Zaha without a second thought and Matt Phillips is another that is better than we have. Jordan Mutch, Curtis Davies, Ambrose...they are all players that would be ideal for us but you'd have to spend a fortune to prise them away.