Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

This was the one I really wanted but never dared thought we'd get.

He's a genuine class act and if MP can get the most from him (and Ossie will be fired up in a WC year) then we've got a bit of a monster striker on our hands.

Salivating at the thought of Ossie as the spear head and Rickie as the foil. Gonna be some fun.

Cortese is like a terrier, once he locks his jaws around his target he just won't let go.

Welcome Pablo and enjoy your stay.

What an exciting signing! Very interested to see our starting line up on Saturday for Sunderland game.

Here's all his goals from last 3 seasons:

Espanyol 2010/2011:

Roma 2011/2012:

Roma 2012/2013:

Interesting developments in the haircut department can also be seen in these clips ;)

great looking team

-----------Boruc

Clyne---lovren------maya----shaw

--wanyama---ramirez--morgan

lallana----lambert----osvaldo

davis

chambers

fonte

cork

rodriguez

davis

puncheon

If there's one thing I'm pretty sure of, it's that Rodriguez isn't getting dropped first.

He's an extremely versatile option, who can play up front on his own, in a strike partnership, off the left or off the right. His preference is to play as a lone striker, arriving late in the box and becoming the primary outlet for his team.

At Roma, Francesco Totti occupied the false-nine/deep-lying forward role all season, with both Osvaldo and Erik Lamela cutting in with deadly effect from the flanks.

He combined fantastic technique with a well-rounded physical presence and a predatory eye for the golden finish.

Loved this realistic and honest statement

credit to Southampton.....three years ago their side was in league one, back to back promotions and exciting signings....i know fortune is ephemeral with many clubs in football (look at their rivals Portsmouth now) but what a fantastic time it must be for Saints fans

It's true -what a magic time to be a Saints fan

lets see. you were sure sharp would play more than lambert, or something

I said he'd score more, and changed my mind before the transfer window had closed last season. But let's not get hung up on that. :)

Will be interesting to see how we play with him in the side, that's for sure, but Rodriguez hasn't done anything worth dropping for and is the kind of hard-working, agile, goalscoring, pressing player that's needed for our system. That's not so true for Lallana, Lambert and Ramirez.

What an exciting signing! Very interested to see our starting line up on Saturday for Sunderland game.

Espanyol 2010/2011:

Roma 2011/2012:

Roma 2012/2013:

Interesting developments in the haircut department can also be seen in these clips ;)

Great research, thanks! Looks like he takes a pretty good penalty. Going to be surprised if he gets to take any for a while though!

Great options:

Boruc/Gazzaniga/Davis/Cropper

Clyne/Chambers

Lovren/Fonte/Yoshida/Hooiveld/

Shaw/Fox

Cork/Morgan/Wanyama/Ward-Prowse

Puncheon/Ramirez/Lallana/JRod/Guly/Isgrove/Davis

Osvaldo/Lambert/Mayuka.

Not to mention the other academy prospects and even potential newcomers...

:poundit:

So me and Mrs OOO had to go to a wedding in the North East this weekend. I get back and having only briefly caught MOTD this morning have just found out we signed Osvaldo.

Fantastic. Going to have to go away more often if is is what happens!

We only announced it about three hours ago. ;)

Edited by The9

His stats look good in terms of goals per game and chance conversion rate. I'm a bit wary of YouTube vids as they obviously don't show the bad bits.

On that subject - here's a good vid of J Rod at Burnley. No doubt the boy has talent and can finish. Maybe his conversion rate needs to go up a bit in the Prem though?

Southampton don't mention the fee, Roma have now released a statement on their website giving away the details...

"The A. S. Rome S.p.A. announces that it has signed an agreement with the Southampton Football Club for the outright sale of the rights to the player Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, along with the recognition of an amount of 15.1 million euro.

The agreement also provides for the recognition of a variable fee, up to a maximum of € 2 million for bonuses linked to the achievement by the Players' Club and the English of certain athletic goals."

http://www.asroma.it/en/news/corporate_osvaldo_eng/

http://www.asroma.it/pdf/corporate/operazioni_di_mercato/2013_-08_-_18_osvaldo.pdf

So it seems its an initial €15.1m (£12.8m), rising to €17.1m (£14.6m) depending on appearances/goals/club achievements.

His stats look good in terms of goals per game and chance conversion rate. I'm a bit wary of YouTube vids as they obviously don't show the bad bits.

On that subject - here's a good vid of J Rod at Burnley. No doubt the boy has talent and can finish. Maybe his conversion rate needs to go up a bit in the Prem though?

I'm quite happy with videos which show finishing ability, agility, pace and strength, etc. The fact there's even ONE clip of him running onto a through ball in on goal away from defenders leaves me utterly delirious.

Southampton don't mention the fee, Roma have now released a statement on their website giving away the details...

"The A. S. Rome S.p.A. announces that it has signed an agreement with the Southampton Football Club for the outright sale of the rights to the player Pablo Daniel Osvaldo, along with the recognition of an amount of 15.1 million euro.

The agreement also provides for the recognition of a variable fee, up to a maximum of € 2 million for bonuses linked to the achievement by the Players' Club and the English of certain athletic goals."

http://www.asroma.it/pdf/corporate/operazioni_di_mercato/2013_-08_-_18_osvaldo.pdf

So it seems its an initial €15.1m (£12.8m), rising to €17.1m (£14.6m) depending on appearances/goals/club achievements.

MOTD2 just said he cost £12.9m rising to a potential £14.6m

Yeah, Roma announced the details on their website.

Very good price for a player of his ability.

Bit late with that.

Thanks, but already posted about 3 hours ago!

PDO seems to make Suarez look like a pussy cat; he's like Suarez, Keane (Roy), Barton and Savage rolled into a single person. Let's hope he behaves himself and fits in with our team spirit, which has evolved over the last few seasons into a considerable competitive advantage for us. If they haven't already, the favourites for the top half of the top half of the PL will certainly look at Saints in a different light now. Exciting times indeed but not too exciting, I hope!

PDO seems to make Suarez look like a pussy cat; he's like Suarez, Keane (Roy), Barton and Savage rolled into a single person.

He really doesn't, tbh. Yes he's a bit if an arse, but he's never bitten a player on the pitch, racially abused another player or purposely intended to end another players career! Few elbows and red cards here and there, a scuffle in the dressing room and discontent at his manager leaving him on the bench for 75 minutes in a Rome derby cup final, but that's about it.

Getting slower with age fella.

Holy **** balls what a signing! Watched this guy loads over the last few years and can't believe he has signed for us! As an Italian I sort of feel sorry for Roma but their loss is our gain! This is a fine example of how a manager can persuade players to join if they have history with them. This is by far the best transfer window we have had. I just can't believe it.....

Can't wait for the next game!

Espanyol 2010/2011:

Roma 2011/2012:

Roma 2012/2013:

Holy Krapola - if he's half as good as he looks in some of those games in the vids above we're in with a decent chance at winning something this season.

What a central spine of the team we now have ....

Boruc - Lovren - Yoshida - Wanyama - Morgan - Ramirez - Lambert - Osvaldo

The future for our club looks very bright indeed.

COYR's