Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

Good to not have gained any injuries.

Clearly need more in wide areas and up front to add competition.

Most of the team for Anfield is fairly obvious but is Isgrove really good enough to start in the PL? Far less of a threat than say, Puncheon, so certainly an area we need investment in, as have gone backwards versus even the first season in the PL there.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Bertrand looked pretty good IMO. Hopefully he will continue that form and nice to have someone with a bit of pace. Defensively we looked mostly solid.

Up front sorry to say we were very poor. Didn't test their keeper much and our finishing and build up play didn't really trouble leverkuson. Pellè didn't get involved enough for me and on this game (and it is just one game) doesn't look anything like an upgrade on Lambert. If we can't score then we are going down. A new striker and some wingers are required. Isgrove looked lovely but a bit naive at times. Not sure he is good enough for the prem yet.

Bertrand looked pretty good IMO. Hopefully he will continue that form and nice to have someone with a bit of pace. Defensively we looked mostly solid.

Up front sorry to say we were very poor. Didn't test their keeper much and our finishing and build up play didn't really trouble leverkuson. Pellè didn't get involved enough for me and on this game (and it is just one game) doesn't look anything like an upgrade on Lambert. If we can't score then we are going down. A new striker and some wingers are required. Isgrove looked lovely but a bit naive at times. Not sure he is good enough for the prem yet.

How were Tadic and Taider?

Pelle - UNIT! - won everything in the air. Slow though - 7/10

Tadic - Poor - frustrated, couple of good moves but lots of indecision, linked up quite well at the end with Taider - 5/10

Taider - Quality, looks great. - 8/10

Bertrand - excellent and speedy. Shouldn't miss shaw - 8/10

Bad news...

Yoshida - terrible, really terrible.

No striking options other than Pelle, disjointed as a team, Tadic a dissapointment.

Our two loan signings are looking like the best business so far. Bertrand was solid, Taider looked class. Tadic was mediocre though and Pelle is utter sh#te. We are in serious trouble unless we get a decent striker, there's no goals in our current team

You are writing Pelle off as total sh#te after seeing him in one friendly? Jesus man, have some patience.

I'm fairly positive after today. We are a CB and striker short of being as strong or stronger than last seasons team.

Fonte won everything. He is going to relish being captain.

Bertrand was quality. Very tidy.

Tadic was another class. V skilful. He and clyne had a great understanding.

Gaston was influential when he came in for is grove who also looked lively. He's surprisingly strong.

Some will say Pelle is rubbish from this showing but we didn't hand him a goal scoring opportunity, but used him all of the time for hold up play and flick ons.

Yoshida does well and then does something mental. Missed a great chance.

All in all, we were better than them.

See I just think that's rubbish. We didn't look anywhere near as good as last season. Saying we are one or two away from being better than last season is unrealistic and raises people's hopes. It simply isn't the case.

See I just think that's rubbish. We didn't look anywhere near as good as last season. Saying we are one or two away from being better than last season is unrealistic and raises people's hopes. It simply isn't the case.

Nowhere good enough compared to last years settled side, who were not that great pre-season either. You have a point.

I'm fairly positive after today. We are a CB and striker short of being as strong or stronger than last seasons team.

Fonte won everything. He is going to relish being captain.

Bertrand was quality. Very tidy.

Tadic was another class. V skilful. He and clyne had a great understanding.

Gaston was influential when he came in for is grove who also looked lively. He's surprisingly strong.

Some will say Pelle is rubbish from this showing but we didn't hand him a goal scoring opportunity, but used him all of the time for hold up play and flick ons.

Yoshida does well and then does something mental. Missed a great chance.

All in all, we were better than them.

Good post. Agree with all of that. Tadic put some inch perfect crosses in. We were better than a good bundesliga side despite so many new players in the side. When we get the understanding going we'll do well. Still a striker short.

Nowhere good enough compared to last years settled side, who were not that great pre-season either. You have a point.

I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that we are one or two signings away from being better than last season based on that game. Where is the evidence? I think if we recruit well over the next couple of weeks that we have a shot of mid table.

Pelle was massively isolated in the first half and rarely had anyone close to play a ball to if he won it. Have to say his touch isn't like Lambert's but he got into good areas and some with some better crosses would have had more chances.

Tadic played very wide. Linked up well with Clyne on a few occassions and you can tell he has great ability, although he didn't have much room to run with the ball against a very solid team.

Bertrand did well, and would have looked better with a decent player in front of him. I've seen Isgrove enough times now and sorry to say he just won't cut it as a Premier League player.

As for the others Wanyama did his normal job of clattering people, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. Clyne was good as normal, Fonte too. Yoshida wasn't as bad as some make out.

Ward Prowse did a good job in the middle of the park and put in some excellent set pieces. Davis had a quiet game I thought. Boruc made one good save in the second half but had little to do other than with the goal which from my angle ir seemed as if he should have done better (although happy to be proved wrong with that)

There was less pressing. Less fluency too, although that may come as the players train and play together more.

As for the subs, well Ramirez showed some great quality and determination and was tracking back too. A couple of lazy passes but as always I let him off.

Taider looked solid, atheltic and aware. Cork did ok. Mayuka was pants.

First home friendly I've been to since the first ever game at St Mary's and it did little to change my mind that they are dull affairs which are a complete waste of time attending. I only went because the bloody kids hassled me into it.

Pelle was massively isolated in the first half and rarely had anyone close to play a ball to if he won it. Have to say his touch isn't like Lambert's but he got into good areas and some with some better crosses would have had more chances.

Tadic played very wide. Linked up well with Clyne on a few occassions and you can tell he has great ability, although he didn't have much room to run with the ball against a very solid team.

Bertrand did well, and would have looked better with a decent player in front of him. I've seen Isgrove enough times now and sorry to say he just won't cut it as a Premier League player.

As for the others Wanyama did his normal job of clattering people, sometimes fairly, sometimes not. Clyne was good as normal, Fonte too. Yoshida wasn't as bad as some make out.

Ward Prowse did a good job in the middle of the park and put in some excellent set pieces. Davis had a quiet game I thought. Boruc made one good save in the second half but had little to do other than with the goal which from my angle ir seemed as if he should have done better (although happy to be proved wrong with that)

There was less pressing. Less fluency too, although that may come as the players train and play together more.

As for the subs, well Ramirez showed some great quality and determination and was tracking back too. A couple of lazy passes but as always I let him off.

Taider looked solid, atheltic and aware. Cork did ok. Mayuka was pants.

First home friendly I've been to since the first ever game at St Mary's and it did little to change my mind that they are dull affairs which are a complete waste of time attending. I only went because the bloody kids hassled me into it.

Great summary except Yoshida really was very poor and ward prowse not physical or quick enough (great free kick delivery, but on today's performance I would edge Taider ahead of him)

Just back. I thought Taider, Bertrand and Tasic were strong; Pelle looked isolated but won a lot in the air.

As previously indicated, we need someone buzzing around Pelle and a centre back to assist Fonte as Yoshida is struggling.

However we contained a team used to playing CL football for long periods , albeit neither team threatened goal much.

Just back.

Formation-wise, we played 4-2-3-1. The three behind the target man played wider than we did under Poch and we didn't press.

Here are my thoughts on the new players and focus on changes from last year.

Defensively we looked OK. Yoshida was the weak link and the club clearly understand that and are working on a replacement. Bertrand looked good - good positioning both defensively and when we attacked, he has pace and likes a tackle. I think Bertrand will do very well for us this year and the fans will take to him.

I don't think we'll concede too many goals this year. As a unit and with an additional good CB we will be solid and tough to break down.

I believe that our problem this year will be scoring goals. I would be very surprised indeed if Pelle scores 10 goals (for us, OGs don't count). He played as target man today but didn't look a patch on Lambert. He was comfortable chesting the balls that were played up to him but looked uncomfortable heading the ball. I appreciate that it was a pre-season game but I hope he's more willing to use his head and generally get stuck in more once the season begins. He's a big muscly lad, but he needs to use it otherwise the Prem CBs will see him as easy pickings. I fear he might be this year's fans villain. I hope he proves me wrong.

We started the game with JWP and Wanyama as the defensive midfielders, Tadic on the right of the 3, Davis behind Pelle and Isgrove on the left. Wanyama played well - he broke up play and occasionally gave the ball away - it was typical Wanyama. JWP didn't really get into the game and Isgrove showed touches of pace and promise but never looked like causing a breakthrough. Tadic was neat and tidy, as was Davis. We lacked creativity and penetration in the first half. Tadic didn't see enough of the ball. The lack of press meant we didnt force errors and all too often our passing broke down in a frustratingly easy fashion.

The second half was better when Ramirez came on for Isgrove and Taider came on for JWP. Ramirez played on the right of the three and Tadic switched to the left. This change made us look stronger and more creative. We were more direct and there was more urgency in our play.

Mayuka came on for Davis and did well. He played right across the front - looking for space, demanding the ball and then running at defenders with the ball. We looked more threatening with Mayuka on.

Taider looks like a decent player - full of energy and good control of the ball. He played several passes back and sideways rather than looking for forward passes but I suspect that's due to him just joining. Tadic looks a good player - good control and skillful.

There's undoubtedly talent in the midfield, Koeman just needs to find the right blend. We need to strengthen with a new striker though.

Likely changes for the Liverpool game: a new CB straight in for Yoshida, Taider or Morgan (wishful thinking though I suspect) to start in place of JWP and I would play Ramirez if he's fit in place of Isgrove.

Prediction for the season - 14th. We may also have to get used to staying up later for our Match of the Day highlights.

8 days to go to kick off and even if we get in some signings this week they are hardly going to get time to gel. We are missing 6 players who left plus Morgan and Jrod making 8.

We have 4 replacements in Bertrand, Tadier, Tadic and Pelle in theory replacing Morgan (if he goes and doesn't stay) Adam, Shaw and Pelle still 4 more to get in to get back to some sort of parity never mind improvement and more squad depth. Also this assumes the replacements are better than what we had (Jurys still out here).

Still missing a good CB or two and a striker (assuming Fraser is coming in to cover the keeper issue) and I am still waiting for the numerous good players that expressed an interest in coming to Southampton that Les mentioned over two months ago (and said he would parade at the match today). I suspect most of our deals will eventually get done close to deadline day when players will be clear which clubs are interested in them and our targets will be clear on their choices. So far our signings are two players who Koeman knew and two loans.

Agree I thought he looked solid. I was also pleased with Ramirez and how he added urgency to our play. So hope he comes good this season.

Tadic was superb. He is like Lallana but with more than one trick, he mixes his game up and very quick thinking with ball at his feet.

Wanyama a beast and played an absolute beauty of a long pass in 1st.

Pelle is a mountain, so many balls held or expertly played off him, we are crying out for a striker to read him and they will score lots.

JWP looked very solid in first half some fantastic delivery and driving runs to open space.

Davis good but dropped away

Bertrand very quick and has got right ideas when he gets forward just needs to offload little earlier. Defensively worked well with CBs and covered them and his own position well.

Taider looked good he was in amongst at the centre of the midfield very quickly. He has very good feet and good linkup.

Clyne solid and as good as ever

Ramirez looked lively and showed class i think he will start in forward three at Anfield.

Fonte looked well up for season and threw in a few no mercy tackles.

Yoshida was inconsistent throughout match and most of the worrying moments came from him being done or miscalculating a pass

It wasn't a bad performance from us. It just looked as if the new players need just a little bit more time to adjust to the pace of the English game and to their team mates. We certainly weren't overawed by a good German team and I think we shaded the game in terms of possession and intent. There didn't appear to be much between Bertrand and Shaw and he looks a good signing with the same pace down the left. Clyne is quick down the right wing, where on balance the greater threats came from us. We have that strength on both wings, but need to add depth in case of injury or suspension to either player. The midfield was good, even without Morgan. The main thing that he gives that we lack without him is the telling defence-splitting through ball, but today we did manage to get behind their defence on several occasions. Pelle had some nice touches and has some class, but needs somebody like Rodriguez to play off. He's strong on the ball and holds it up well though.

There has been some criticism of Yoshida, but I thought that both he and Fonte were pretty solid and Boruc hardly had anything to do the whole match.

Mayuka looked as lively as usual, but runs around a bit like a headless chicken. Two or three times he was in the box, ball at his feet, then wasted it with a wayward pass back to a team mate, when a good pass laid on a plate would have reulted in a goal. Decent contribution from Davis as usual and Cork and Ramirez looked good when they came on too.

I'm not too far from agreeing with Le Goddard, that we are only a CB and striker short of being as strong or stronger than last season's team. But that's additional to Rodriguez coming back fit and Schneiderlin buckling down, and is a comparison of the starting 11 first team, just to qualify it. Additional depth in the squad could yet be achieved, something we lacked last season.

Completely disagree with some of the tadic comments. Were you even at the game? He was at the heart of most of our best moves.

I was there, thought he was absolute class. Apart from a couple of obvious fixes there was a lot to like about the new look Saints. Bayer were a very good outfit

Certainly reasons to be cheerful. Defensively ok although Yoshida constantly gave the ball away. Attacking, some of the same flair from last year without the understanding.

so to the new boys.

Betrand, solid defensively and did get forward but didn't push on much into the final third. He's quick and should be good enough. If you like Clyne on the right, you'll be ok with him.

Tadic, the fella looks utter class. Touches, vision and delivery are there to see. Once everyone gets on his wavelength he should be very productive. Held position on the right (and on the left for last 30) a lot more than Lallana.

Pelle, he's huge. Touch is ok but didn't show anything to suggest he's going to get 15 goals this term without a strike partner or exceptional service.

Taïder, bit of a cameo, looked bright and busy and probably did more than JWP.

The others.

Boruc, not much to do, decent distribution with one poor kick

Clyne, solid

Fonte, getting better with age and responsibilty

Yoshida, stopper at best, gives away possession to easily

Wanyama, strolled it, huge difference when he plays

JWP, a little bit missing for me.

S Davis, solid shift as always

Isgrove, has pace and gets in good positions, looks a bit lightweight and make bad decisions for this level right now.

Ramirez, lots of effort. Does the difficult things well, ****s up the simple things.

Cork, ususal solid performance

Mayuka, pacey but ****e use of promising situations, this generations Jonno Quick.

We'll be ok this year, Koeman has them trying to attack quicker and not as much emphasis on ball retention or pressing, a bit long ball if anything, they need a few games to gel and we haven't got a prayer at Anfield without Schneiderlin.

Edited by St Chalet

I'm shocked at those downplaying the impact of Tadic, for me he was easily our most dangerous player and can see us relying heavily on him this season.

Taider was also fantastic and I would be happy for him to replace Morgan if he can't manage to find his head inside his arse.

Bertrand looks like a solid signing.

Other special mentions go to Davis, Wanyama and Clyne.

We desperately need another striker as today demonstrated the chronic lack of depth when we only had Mayuka on the bench. We also need attacking wide player to get in and around Pelle (who seems to only play with his chest by the way). For me Isgrove is not the required level to be considered a starter.

I also find JWP frustrating as he is a tidy player with excellent set pieces but just doesn't tend to impose himself on games enough. He needs to define his midfield role more and embrace his attacking responsibility or defensive.

well I must have been watching a different game to everyone else then, because I thought Tadic looked isolated, ineffective and frustrated until Taider came on, at which point they showed the beginnings of a nice little partnership.

well I must have been watching a different game to everyone else then, because I thought Tadic looked isolated, ineffective and frustrated until Taider came on, at which point they showed the beginnings of a nice little partnership.

What stand were you in? From the Northam in the first half (when we were attacking that goal) his interplay with Clyne and JWP was brilliant down the wing, some great touches and little flick ons to get the ball out for the overlapping full back to put a ball in. Impressed me massively, looks very tricky and composed under pressure. I couldn't tell which (new shirts are nice, but it's bloody difficult to read the shirt numbers), but either him or JWP played a ludicrous through ball to Isgrove just before half time and for me he looked our best player...

Edited by JxgrSaint

Didn't do much for me either

The sooner Isgrove, JWP and Yoshida are out of the first XI, the stronger we'll be.

I'd agree with that, three weak links, otherwise I thought we were good, the better team, do like the Clyne/Tadic link up. Worried about the amount of decent service supply Pelle is going to get, or if he is quite sharp enough.