Who would welcome Cortese back?

Batman

I wonder what he is thinking at the moment.

I know he made a mint out of the club, but I bet he is following events. I wonder how he feels about his project being dismantled. Enough to do something about it ?

I'd love him to come back just to p*ss a certain ex-Air Steward off.

I know he left (or legged it)

but we were supposed to 'get our club back' when he walked

now we know why if this is the strategy for the way forward

It shows what a brilliant job he did keeping the players not only onside (seeing as they cant wait to leave) but head the club upwards

it may have not been his money but what a fecking job he did

there is just no way, this utter shambles would be happening had he been here

He did a great job in many aspects and left this club two leagues higher and in much better shape than when he came in. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

However, he had a 100% selling record, when a top four club came knocking. It simply shows that there is nothing a club like us can do when the big four want one of our players

Chambers apart, we would be in the same situation with or without him.

Whatever you say, it looks to me as if the club is being stripped of its assets and ready for a quick sale. Could NC be waiting int he wings with a new buyer ?

Players aren't the assets of the club, they are simply contracted to the club, not owned by it and are therefore 'off the books'.

So what assets are you referring to?

Nope. He didn't have the money or authority to promise the things he did. He needed Liebher money to do what he did. Actually think the rot started when Marcus died & he was left to do what he wanted.

That does not make me at all impressed with the current board or what is happening. I'm gutted, but don't think getting him back would change anything.

It's time for the board to step up! Don think they will though!

My thoughts exactly.

He may have spen money whilst an executor but an executors role is to ensure the money is well looked after. The result of spending the money has been to produce a club worth far more than was spent full of expensive assets as we have seen.

The difference between him and KL was when to cash in

He felt with a bit more spend the value of the club and players would increase more she disagreed the result is history.

I personally would have him back any time! He may have had his shortcomings as a person but as a Chief Executive he had few equals getting us up from L1 to 3rd in the premier in just over 4 years. He had a strategy and a plan that worked and the drive, will and commitment to make all the hard decisions to see it through.

Compare that to this lot who couldn't convince a 19 year old with only 23 appearances to his name give us another year!

No comparison

Why are people convinced NC would have made a better job of it? I see no evidence for this other than a vague collective idea that NC was some sort of scary hardman. In fact the only time NC was in a vaguely comparable position the player went to ............Arsenal

I'd welcome anyone that wasn't Les Reed, Gareth 'work experience boy' Rogers and Ralph 'Freddie's dumb brother' Kreuger. Morons all of them and couldn't run a bath. Hopefully an intimidating atmosphere at the first few home games next season might persaude them it's not wise to stick around.

Yes, but when did we last have one of those?

The Lowe 'protests' etc were pretty tame to be honest, and its unlikely we'll recreate anything like the protests in the Branfoot era.

Cortese would have been nothing without Liebherr cash and that is a FACT

this is incredible Duncan ...around 60 posts already and it's only you and I who think .....it's a bad idea! CRAZY !

If we spend £30 million in the next 3 weeks, they'll all come back saying how great everything is and how clever Les and Ronald are.......

this is incredible Duncan ...around 60 posts already and it's only you and I who think .....it's a bad idea! CRAZY !

If we spend £30 million in the next 3 weeks, they'll all come back saying how great everything is and how clever Les and Ronald are.......

We'll need to spend a hell of a lot more than that for anything to be great.

He did a great job in many aspects and left this club two leagues higher and in much better shape than when he came in. We owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

However, he had a 100% selling record, when a top four club came knocking. It simply shows that there is nothing a club like us can do when the big four want one of our players

And you know he had a 100% selling record as a fact and that no enquiries whatsoever were made for any of our players in the one and half seasons plus we were in the premier whilst he was there? A bit unlikely seeing that over the last three months every player we have is suddenly wanted!

I am pretty sure his plan was not to sell and if he was forced to he would have made do with one or two and would he would know very well how to keep the remainder contented

it is not a coincidence the players and the manager liked and respected him!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Owned by Dalian Wanda yes?

Sunseeker are... but suspect the rumour was about Rob Braithwaite who founded it and sold to Dalian.... but he hasn't got the kind of money to buy the club... last I heard he was hoping to use his money for good causes.. and let's face it.. Saints ain't that...

You have to wonder if big fat Kat is doing this to get back at Cortese.

They obviously had a falling out, I expect Cortese gave her the big "you can't run this club without me" so she thought, **** you, you dwarf I don't need you or your club.

and then proceeded to prove him right.

He should never have left in the first place, but thinking him coming back now would solve anything is wishful thinking. KL has ****ed everything up, she should have sold to Cortese's backers when he wanted her to, no skin off her nose now, but as far as we the supporters are concerned things are now well and truly screwed. We got our club back, but sadly it is a shell now and there is nothing inside except for some nice stripy shirts and a decent manager who must be looking for the nearest exit door. I see he posted a nice pic on Twitter of an empty training ground.

However, he had a 100% selling record, when a top four club came knocking. It simply shows that there is nothing a club like us can do when the big four want one of our players.

Yep, 1 out of 1, 100% in 4 years. Or maybe it was 1 out of 2 or 1 out of 3 or 4 or 5. How many did he turn down? Don't know, but even if he only let one go that's 4 less than Kat has let go in the last few weeks.

Nope. He didn't have the money or authority to promise the things he did. He needed Liebher money to do what he did. Actually think the rot started when Marcus died & he was left to do what he wanted.

That does not make me at all impressed with the current board or what is happening. I'm gutted, but don't think getting him back would change anything.

It's time for the board to step up! Don think they will though!

Err he did have authority to invest the money in his role as ML executor and as a result of his investments (which probably were viewed as a sort of gamble by KL) he increased the value substantially of all that was invested. It was only when the investment tap was turned off, before he felt he had totally maximised the value of the club, did he depart.

The value of the club and players he left behind are a measure of success both financially and in terms of football however you want to measure it.

He felt he could increase the value of the club further, KL probably wanted to cash in some or all of the chips as they were! He couldn't convince her and or her advisors of his plans and as she was then in control of her money (once the will was executed) there was only one winner and the rest is history.

If a fully supported Cortese had stayed we may have finished say 6th, and have European football which would make it much easier to hang onto our stars.

NC did a wondeful job for the Liebherrs as well as for us, they must have quadrupled their investment by now and he got us from near bottom to near top.Whether you liked him or not, he did the job big time, pity he was stopped

Totally agree Cortese built a dream on a house of cards however I cannot believe how naive this club has become and the board really needs to take a look at itself. It is going to take some rescuing from here that's for sure.

Why was it a dream on a house of cards it was based on a business plan with targeted investment with the aims of improving the football club and by doing so increasing the value of the club and playing assets by more than he invested. He was single minded and ruthless in seeing it to fruition and by all accounts he succeeded quicker than even he thought possible from both a footballing and financial viewpoint

This is my take on what might have happened and is purely conjecture based on what I have read and seen in the press and elsewhere however I think it is as plausible given the evidence to date.

Cortese felt he could do more this year and his job (of optimising the value of the club ML bought) was not yet complete. To do so he needed funds to continue building, however by last year ML's will was finally executed and KL as the main inheritor was now in control of the funds. She saw this further spend as a gamble with her money as further success was not guaranteed.(probably rightly so). At this stage Cortese may well have offered to buy the club off her with investment promised by others. however she probably thought his offer did not fully value the club and she and her advisors felt they could do better at getting her investment returns out of the club than from the Corteses offer. The players and the manager had their doubts about her and her advisors regarding their strategy ambitions and commitment for the club. Hence we are where we are today.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Why was it a dream on a house of cards it was based on a business plan with targeted investment with the aims of improving the football club and by doing so increasing the value of the club and playing assets by more than he invested. He was single minded and ruthless in seeing it to fruition and by all accounts he succeeded quicker than even he thought possible from both a footballing and financial viewpoint

This is my take on what might have happened and is purely conjecture based on what I have read and seen in the press and elsewhere however I think it is as plausible given the evidence to date.

Cortese felt he could do more this year and his job (of optimising the value of the club ML bought) was not yet complete. To do so he needed funds to continue building, however by last year ML's will was finally executed and KL as the main inheritor was now in control of the funds. She saw this further spend as a gamble with her money as further success was not guaranteed.(probably rightly so). At this stage Cortese may well have offered to buy the club off her with investment promised by others. however she probably thought his offer did not fully value the club and she and her advisors felt they could do better at getting her investment returns out of the club than from the Corteses offer. The players and the manager had their doubts about her and her advisors regarding their strategy ambitions and commitment for the club. Hence we are where we are today.

This.

Gutted when he left to be honest

Me too - obvious we failed to match his ambition, but of course all our resident experts knew better! Would take him back in a heart beat. And for those who say it wasn't his money he was playing with, don't think KL did too badly with her investment under NC, and could have done so much better if only she was prepared to invest for the longer term. Well just take your money and go please - rather be owned by someone with no money but gives a damn about SFC!

NC wanted us to be part of the big club list in the premiership, to be that you need to spend money to get near the top then you can keep your players happy, KL just wants money but i wonder has anyone told her that having all the money in the world won't make her any prettier. I still think if NC was here today we would of only lost 1 player..Lambert and that would of made way for a younger striker to keep the squad together for longer, thats why he only bought young players.

And everyone wanted him gone cause he got rid of the stripes....now i wonder if ppl would choose the stripes over all the players we have lost?

F**K the stripes i say!!

That is a very good post.

God no. Horrendous little man, also no credibility now as all of his vision spiel has been shown to be based on absolutely nothing,
his vision got us a top manager and team with spirit and the envy of the majority of most clubs in the English leagues. It was a proud time having the plaudits and watching superb football. His spiel as you put it brought some top players to the club who also bought into the dream. Iam sure those players did not think we had hit a glass ceiling but felt with a few additions we could compete. Perhaps not for CL but to be established I. The top part of the league and in time even achieving something we could not envisage 6-7-10 years ago.

Basically I'm in for his return and am a tad surprised that you who normally. IMO are a good judge feel this way

I didn't really care for NC, but no one can possibly disagree that when he was at the Club, we had the most fantastic ride ever, It was so exciting being a Saints fan, it felt like we could actually forfill every fans dream of getting better and better, the team had a special bond, the good points outweighed the crap kits etc,everything was rosy. Now, he's gone, and to me at this moment,everything I loved about the club has gone too.

I didn't really care for NC, but no one can possibly disagree that when he was at the Club, we had the most fantastic ride ever, It was so exciting being a Saints fan, it felt like we could actually forfill every fans dream of getting better and better, the team had a special bond, the good points outweighed the crap kits etc,everything was rosy. Now, he's gone, and to me at this moment,everything I loved about the club has gone too.

My view too! What saddens me is not so much the players leaving but that our great experiment to buck the trend and be different in the premier league by building a young fit team playing good football and sticking together as a unit has gone and when it was so close to fruition too.

We will now be no better than the rest of the "non top six" fielding a group of foreign mercenaries (who will use us as a stage for their talents or to see out their days with a decent pay cheque) supported by a bunch of young up and coming academy talents looking to move on.

Our main aim being just to survive and keep the TV money rolling in!

So at what point does the business asset actually reach its point of maximum return? If it was purely a business proposition, and it could well have been, then last year was probably it because to get higher in the PL with the possibility of Europe would have required a significant investment which perhaps was way beyond Cortese's remit or KL's desired wish. Just think how much has been spent at Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City to get them into a position of regular European football their owners it's is probably overtime at least £300m to £500m each and they will be lucky perhaps Man United apart, to see any sort of return that matches the investment made. So to think NC could have kept that plate spinning convincing the players that it was all in hand whilst asking KL to hand over the financial keys to her fortune was the House of Cards it was never going happen.

The financial fair play rules were always likely to trip us up at some point and if Cortese really was the man with a plan, he's obviously not been able to convince all the supposed super rich investors he claims to have known of it or else he would have made a deal KL couldn't have refused in order to sweat the asset and gain more business value.

NC wanted us to be part of the big club list in the premiership, to be that you need to spend money to get near the top then you can keep your players happy, KL just wants money but i wonder has anyone told her that having all the money in the world won't make her any prettier. I still think if NC was here today we would of only lost 1 player..Lambert and that would of made way for a younger striker to keep the squad together for longer, thats why he only bought young players.

And everyone wanted him gone cause he got rid of the stripes....now i wonder if ppl would choose the stripes over all the players we have lost?

F**K the stripes i say!!

Where was this money to "keep players happy" and "compete at the top" coming from, then? It wasn't coming from a short arsed Italian cu nt, that's for fu cking sure.

And, just to confirm the choice was never striped shirts and no success versus no stripes and success forever. Irrelevant sh it.

I am delighted Cortese is gone, he's never coming back and that makes me very very happy. The fact that a bunch of twa ts on a web forum get so upset that he isn't coming back makes me very happy too.

Whatever happens to our club in the next five years, however bad, will always feel fine to me because that short arsed weasel faced cu nt is nowhere near Southampton FC.

It doesn't get any less delicious, whatever Les Reed f ucks up, or whatever players we sell or games we lose. Fu ck Cortese. He's gone gone gone.

Where was this money to "keep players happy" and "compete at the top" coming from, then? It wasn't coming from a short arsed Italian cu nt, that's for fu cking sure.

And, just to confirm the choice was never striped shirts and no success versus no stripes and success forever. Irrelevant sh it.

I am delighted Cortese is gone, he's never coming back and that makes me very very happy. The fact that a bunch of twa ts on a web forum get so upset that he isn't coming back makes me very happy too.

Whatever happens to our club in the next five years, however bad, will always feel fine to me because that short arsed weasel faced cu nt is nowhere near Southampton FC.

It doesn't get any less delicious, whatever Les Reed f ucks up, or whatever players we sell or games we lose. Fu ck Cortese. He's gone gone gone.

It makes me happy that you've been wrong at nearly every turn over the past six months.

Wow. I think Fry wants him back more than anyone.

I realise now that you are referring to CB Fry who had posted above you, but on first read I thought you meant Mark Fry the insolvency bloke from Begbies who handled the administration. I suspect he'll be watching our demise again with a vested interest.

You sound like a happy person.

I think he has been on the sauce. To hate somebody so much because he took the stripes away is bizarre. I liked the last kit more than a red zebra anyway

Nothing to do with the kits, but the kits were sh it, of course. I specifically replied to someone making the snidey "fu ck the stripes" remark. Nice try though.

Edited by CB Fry

Nothing to do with the kits, but the kits were sh it, of course. I specifically replied to someone making the snidey "fu ck the stripes" remark. Nice try though.

Look CB I don't want to get into yet another slanging match, I can't fathom why you dislike NC so much, as he achieved so much. He was the master of our success (on the back of Liebherrs money) I had great fun and yes he did some naff stuff but in the main he did far more good than bad. The stripes thing was the main point in your post, although I do understand why you are angry.Not many pro Reed KL posters out at present. You have now got to the end of your tether it seems, quite a seed change and a good barometer how badly this is all going in the. PR stakes