How do we feel now?

Wiggles31

Well to be fair Kruger has come out of the woodwork, quite literally as it felt things were looking to back to the dark days.

I'll credit him on that as more silence would have killed us. What he has said is pretty reassuring and I for one am feeling much less doom and gloom than yesterday.

That said it is hard to totally trust what he has said as whilst we were not lied to we were a tad mislead (Reed saying about player sales previously).

It would be suicide for him to say JRod and Morgan are not for sale to then sell them so I do believe they will be staying whether they like it or not.

Lastly how much will we see reinvested? Kruger has said every penny and made that clear so the actions in the remainder of the transfer window will give us the ultimate clue.

I for one am much more positive again and upbeat about the upcoming season. Yesterday like many others I thought we were certain relegation candidates. However I am ever so slightly sceptical but am willing to give the board back a degree of my trust. They did bring our stripes back afterall ;)

Your thoughts SWFers?

More positive but confused.

Do find it odd that in the case of Morgan, we can categorically say no; whereas we couldn't say no to the others.

Reading some tedious, fatalistic posts on here, you got the impression that as soon as a big club came calling, the writing was on the wall and there was nothing we could do about things.

Unless Morgan's an absolute professional -and if there's anyone I wouldn't begrudge a move, it's him- something will have to give.

Anyway, look forward to some incomings as some light relief.

Same as before. Only time will tell before the window shuts.

Personally feel this was still an asset strip in lieu to sell and the players we get in will cost much less/be lesser standard than those we sold. The main problem now is finding players without super inflated prices.

The jrod/morgan line in the sand has been drawn to appease fans but if the club genuinely wanted to build and push on it would have been drawn a long time ago.

Good interview by Blackmore though, but not much learnt.

Nothing has changed.... Reed has suggested that all a player needs to do is tell us they don't see a future at Saints and he can go... (Apparently that is why we simply had to sell chambers...) so surely that is all Morgan will need to do... After all both Reed and Ralph can't both be right as they contrdict each other in their public statements... Which goes to show how it's amateur hour in the Saints boardroom... Having said that, they have done a fantastic job of selling our best and most promising players, so they are good at something...

I feel better about the club and was happy with what RK said yesterday, excited to see what we have coming in. I know people are suspicious but he could have said a lot more disturbing things yesterday

My opinion of Morgan has gone right down.

IF there was anything to say he should have spoken to the club first, he could have gone in January and everyone would have saved face.

I still love my club , always have and always will. The fans are the club, we are the only constant.

So are people thinking that the no sale of Morgan was always the plan? It seems to me that the St Marys switchboard was overwhlemed by fans demanding ticket money back etc.

Panic in the boardroom and a kneejerk reaction and things said that cant possibly work out.

The club will spend 90m on players and wages, right i believe it (of course that could mean the whole club salary) We have been baulking on the price of 1 player.

The dream of retaining our best Academy products is over...no going back....it was a lie. The manner in which the Board have acted over the summer is incompetent. For some reason (ha!) We're finding it difficult to get new signings over the line. We paid out on more expensive ST's for a product that looks as if it will be flawed.

Yep, there's much to be positive about right now!

Just recently, the last few days really, I've completely lost interest, I understand people say it, I have before, but this time I really seemed to have. I could no longer care who comes or goes, I don't care about the Premier League in any way and Saints losing 8-0 at Liverpool will have the same affect on me as them winning 2-0 up there - just m'eh.

I think last season and this season combined have done that - plus of course the mind-numbing banality of the Premier League, it probably all started when we cancelled Sky about two years ago and the shenanigans this close-season has brought it to a head.

Of course no one is going to mourn my lose of interest and we all know everything in the football world will carry on as before.

So in summary - I just don't care at all.

The dream of retaining our best Academy products is over...no going back....it was a lie. The manner in which the Board have acted over the summer is incompetent. For some reason (ha!) We're finding it difficult to get new signings over the line. We paid out on more expensive ST's for a product that looks as if it will be flawed.

Yep, there's much to be positive about right now!

To be honest, believing anything the board say kind of ended in the Chambers sale statement.

''We are determined to keep our best young players at the club''. That was in the Chambers sale statement, yep, it actually was.

Go Reed.

To be honest, believing anything the board say kind of ended in the Chambers sale statement.

''We are determined to keep our best young players at the club''. That was in the Chambers sale statement, yep, it actually was.

Go Reed.

This, that particular wording was a kick in the face

How do we feel now?

Confused.

1) If Katerina is really cashing in, why send Krueger out on his PR tour to deny it ?

2) If we have ambition to build on last season and take the 'hard road' to Europe, why not stand up to those players that throw childish strops ?

3) If Les Reed can do such an "outstanding" job getting fees for the want-away players, why is he so poor at bringing any replacements in ?

4) I know RK has a reputation for letting disgruntled players go, but surely he can't have willingly allowed the cream of the crop to go so easily ?

5) If Spiderman really had been told that he could go, only to have that so publicly revoked, who decided to change the Board's position, and why ? ( Surely they can't have been swayed by the fans - they didn't seem to care during the previous 3 weeks ).

6) How come the French press seem to be more interested in what is going on than the British ?

How do we feel now?

Confused.

1) If Katerina is really cashing in, why send Krueger out on his PR tour to deny it ?

2) If we have ambition to build on last season and take the 'hard road' to Europe, why not stand up to those players that throw childish strops ?

3) If Les Reed can do such an "outstanding" job getting fees for the want-away players, why is he so poor at bringing any replacements in ?

4) I know RK has a reputation for letting disgruntled players go, but surely he can't have willingly allowed the cream of the crop to go so easily ?

5) If Spiderman really had been told that he could go, only to have that so publicly revoked, who decided to change the Board's position, and why ? ( Surely they can't have been swayed by the fans - they didn't seem to care during the previous 3 weeks ).

6) How come the French press seem to be more interested in what is going on than the British ?

1) to buy some time while they look for potential buyers and to build a smokescreen

2) Because any player that truely doesnt want to be here will not play to anywhere near the level we expect if they are forced to stay, plus can force a move anyway by strike/transfer request/media comments

3) Because what player is going to see a club that has lost so many of its best players and think thats a club thats going places i should join?

4) RK is just a spin doctor nothing more nothing less the real decisions lie with the rest of the board but mainly i'm thinking KL even though that shouldn't be the case at all, she clearly pulls the strings.

5) Again this was purely fan pressure theres only so many top players they can sell before they alienate the entire fanbase, plus they have probably seen that we are now a confirmed laughing stock in the media

I feel amazed

at how incompetent the Board is.

I am more amazed at just how shallow, greedy and unprofessional our players are.

As Morgan showed us yesterday, a contract means nothing if a player wants to leave. The board have simply been unable to go against the tide. I did think that RK would be able to put his arm around a few of them and persuade them to stay.

How do we feel now?

Confused.

5. Its fairly obvious Krueger has stepped in and publicly blocked the arrangements Les Reed had made for Schneiderlin's sale, despite Reed having supposed sole control over football matters. The question is who has Kat's backing.

I'm convinced that Chambers sale was due to the same clause in his contract that Shaw had and I believe JWP has it as well and once that was activated there was nothing the club could do to stop the move and just hadto ensure as much money as possible.

I'm also equally convinced that they comfortable losing Lambert, Lallana and Lovrens and let's face it, we knew the latter two were off a long, long time ago and SRL was going to be sold in Jan' so obviously wasn't in the long term planning. Two of those three have been replaced already.

Which leaves us where we are now.

Do I trust the board? No, I wouldn't trust them to tell me the sun is shining but I do trust the management team and perhaps RK has tried to convince Morgan and when Morgan has said he still wants to move RK has gone tothe board and said no, we keep him regardless.

FWIW I feel for Morgan, he’s been an excellent player for us and never any trouble but I really want to see the club make a stand.

Edited by View From The Top

Well, I still feel good about Saints. But then, of course, it is my club and I will love it, come-what-may. Still, this is how Football seems to me in 2014:

Players hold all the cards.

Agents pull the strings.

Managers have little influence in club affairs (with a few unusual exceptions).

Press have no obligation to tell the truth.

Fans have become guileless in their gullibility and, sadly, complicit in their clubs demise by demanding instant success (or 'ambition' ffs).

Sponsors know to associate their products with players, who may have ten years success, and not with clubs; which may not.

The various football/player associations are legally powerless, directionally rudderless (and often either downright corrupt or so symbiotically linked to the status quo they cannot influence it).

Club Owners/Boards are doomed to repeat the same mistake of believing the fallacy that football clubs can be competitive and financially sound.

Edited by Polaroid Saint

Taking money for season tickets while you are telling the fans that no players will be sold who the manager wants to keep, when you have actually sold one and promised to sell others already amounted to taking money on false pretences even before going on to sell two more, all of whom were contracted to club for long periods. If I'd bought an ST this year, I'd have been in the queue phoning to demand my money back. As it is, I bought a ticket from them for the Brighton game this week and I now have no intention of using it. I will be sending it back and asking for a refund, just to make a point.

Sussexsaint said he thinks Morgan should have spoken to the club before expressing his frustration on Twitter. Maybe, but shouldn't Kruguer have spoken to Morgan before using his name on Sky?

I suspect most of us liked what Kruguer said until we found out he hadn't cleared it with the players concerned. Its no good Kruguer going into PR mode, if what he says has no substance and promises aren't delivered. Kruguer must overrate himself because he comes out to do these interviews because he thinks he will be more persuasive than Les Reed but the last time he did this his words proved to be hollow and he promptly went into hiding for about 6 weeks. I can see him leaving the boardroom at the next meeting with the words "I'm just going outside and I may be some time."

Edited by Professor

I'm convinced that Chambers sale was due to the same clause in his contract that Shaw had and I believe JWP has it as well and once thatwas activated there was nothing the club could do to stop the move and just hadto ensure as much money as possible.

I'm also equally convinced that they comfortable losingLambert, Lallana and Lovrens and let's face it, we knew the latter two were offa long, long time ago and SRL was going to be sold in Jan' so obviously wasn'tin the long term planning. Two of those three have been replaced already.

Which leaves us where we are now.

Do I trust the board? No, I wouldn't trust them to tell methe sun is shining but I do trust the management team and perhaps RK has tried toconvince Morgan and when Morgan has said he still wants to move RK has gone tothe board and said no, we keep him regardless.

FWIW I feel for Morgan, he’s been an excellent player for usand never any trouble but I really want to see the club make a stand.

Yes, a very balanced opinion with which I agree. (Don't let that last bit worry you, it won't always happen ;))

A good example of English irony - that it is possible to think that the previous five sales should have been refused while also thinking it is wrong to refuse the 6th. That is entirely logical, because an invisible threshold has been passed. The team has now been so decimated that hanging on the last one or two will make no difference. Morgan was a key cog in the wheel but with three of the back four having been sold, keeping the existing DM no longer makes much difference. You might as well now sell the lot and start again, but those responsible for this destruction should not be welcome in Southampton.

A good example of English irony - that it is possible to think that the previous five sales should have been refused while also thinking it is wrong to refuse the 6th. That is entirely logical, because an invisible threshold has been passed. The team has now been so decimated that hanging on the last one or two will make no difference. Morgan was a key cog in the wheel but with three of the back four having been sold, keeping the existing DM no longer makes much difference. You might as well now sell the lot and start again, but those responsible for this destruction should not be welcome in Southampton.

So are people thinking that the no sale of Morgan was always the plan? It seems to me that the St Marys switchboard was overwhlemed by fans demanding ticket money back etc.

Panic in the boardroom and a kneejerk reaction and things said that cant possibly work out.

The club will spend 90m on players and wages, right i believe it (of course that could mean the whole club salary) We have been baulking on the price of 1 player.

No chance, they were definitely considering selling, Krueger even said he'd spoken to Spurs about it.

I still can't work out if you're deliberately stupid or not.

did he not say he hadn't spoken to them about transfers..

...in Toronto.

God knows, I saw it on here. I know he didn't say anything about it on SSN, I transcribed that one, dunno about TalkShoite or Solent.

...in Toronto.

Ah right, so in fact his not speaking with Spurs about transfers of Morgan and JRod is location selective. True I didn't bother to listen in, just read the reports on the interview.

Still I suppose that having spoken to spurs about transfers of those 2 could just include nothing doing, given that someone was in fact telling us that MP agreed to a non-poaching for a year clause. However in that case why would it even need to be spoken about at all.

Nothing has changed.... Reed has suggested that all a player needs to do is tell us they don't see a future at Saints and he can go... (Apparently that is why we simply had to sell chambers...) so surely that is all Morgan will need to do... After all both Reed and Ralph can't both be right as they contrdict each other in their public statements... Which goes to show how it's amateur hour in the Saints boardroom... Having said that' date=' they have done a fantastic job of selling our best and most promising players, so they are good at something...[/quote']

FC, you used to be a balanced poster - sad to see you have joined the bedwetters.

I feel sorry for the Board. They have been caught up in a media storm not of their making and it seems have been trying to go about there business whilst all around them (including some "supporters" have been trying to make their job even more difficlut that it normally is. Damed if they say anything damned if the dont.

It is very clear that there are some people who have a very clear agenda to unsettle the club, some from outside and some from within.

From my limited viewpoint they hav done well to bring in someone like Koeman and it looks like he has been invloved in the big decisions that have been made. Clearly they have decided who they want to keep and who they feel they can let go.

At the end of the day we will only know how well things have gone at the end of the transfer window so why all the angst at the moment I dont know. If KL was intent on running the club down why bring in Koeman? Why bother siging players? Why not just play the kids, sell up and go?

SFC will always be bigger than individuals and although players are leaving it will be about the players who make up the squad next season. I am not planning on putting the rubber sheets on my bed until we know the playing staff at the end of the window.

How do we feel now?

Confused.

6) think the British press have stirred and caused quite enough trouble to us as it is.....I actually find it a relief when our name isn't mentioned in news or rumours columns...

I'm convinced that Chambers sale was due to the same clause in his contract that Shaw had and I believe JWP has it as well and once that was activated there was nothing the club could do to stop the move and just hadto ensure as much money as possible.

I'm not convinced there were clauses. If there were they would have been agreed by Nick Nac. Would the current board not then have pointed out to the press/fans that their hands were tied, thereby redirecting the fans anger? As I say, I am not convinced there were clauses, but who knows.

Decimated = 9/10ths removed.

Calm down, or get a dictionary.

It seems to me that some of our anger has been based on our perception that our club has been selling our best players. Maybe Koeman has assessed his squad and decided the 5 that left weren't up to the standard he wants at playing his system, and the stupid money on offer ought to be enough to buy replacements that are.

The only argument that holds water that I've seen about incompetance in the transfer market is that we didn't get replacements in first - that's where it looks like we've given in to "player power"

So in answer to the OP, I'm feeling reassured to an extent by Ralphs assertions, but still disappointed at our apparent drop in status and difficulty attracting good players (this time last year we were viewed as a decent alternative to Liverpool and Spurs, now we appear to be competing with West Ham and Aston Villa) and further saddened at the direction football in this country has been taking since 1990.

If we keep what's left of our squad now and bring in at least 3 more players equal to or better than the quality of the 2 already signed, plus another 2 or 3 squad players, I'll feel able to start the season confident of staying up.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

It seems to me that some of our anger has been based on our perception that our club has been selling our best players. Maybe Koeman has assessed his squad and decided the 5 that left weren't up to the standard he wants at playing his system, and the stupid money on offer ought to be enough to buy replacements that are.

The only argument that holds water that I've seen about incompetance in the transfer market is that we didn't get replacements in first - that's where it looks like we've given in to "player power"

So in answer to the OP, I'm feeling reassured to an extent by Ralphs assertions, but still disappointed at our apparent drop in status and difficulty attracting good players (this time last year we were viewed as a decent alternative to Liverpool and Spurs, now we appear to be competing with West Ham and Aston Villa) and further saddened at the direction football in this country has been taking since 1990.

If we keep what's left of our squad now and bring in at least 3 more players equal to or better than the quality of the 2 already signed, plus another 2 or 3 squad players, I'll feel able to start the season confident of staying up.

Do you not read....Koeman in his interview about 2 weeks back stated that he was told in his first meeting with Reed that Lallana,Lambert and Shaw would be sold, he had no input whatsover in that. The he states that he wants to keep all of the remaining players but at the end of the day it's up to the board, this at the time when Lovren was the subject of conversation. It is quite clear that no matter what he wants the players have been sold.

I feel the we are run by a man who is far too naive to succeed.

The talk of openness, honesty, integrity. All things that those who run and profit from football have absolutely no interest in.

I have no doubt that he thinks he is doing the best for the club but all that is being achieved is exposure to being stripped apart. The powers that be at our club are out of their depth, until we get someone more hard nosed in we will be helpless.

Do you not read....Koeman in his interview about 2 weeks back stated that he was told in his first meeting with Reed that Lallana,Lambert and Shaw would be sold, he had no input whatsover in that. The he states that he wants to keep all of the remaining players but at the end of the day it's up to the board, this at the time when Lovren was the subject of conversation. It is quite clear that no matter what he wants the players have been sold.

We can only speculate, but it's perfectly possible that the board will have discussed Lovren and Chambers with Koeman and agreed something along the lines that if they are sold he will have the proceeds to spend on replacements. This would be normal procedure.

We can only speculate, but it's perfectly possible that the board will have discussed Lovren and Chambers with Koeman and agreed something along the lines that if they are sold he will have the proceeds to spend on replacements. This would be normal procedure.

Indeed but that's not what he said, they've obviously discussed it with him before acting in those 2 cases but to say that he'd assessed the squad and decided 5 players could be sold just isn't in line with his declarations. Now me, I think he threw a stroppy when Chambers went and gave them (the board) an ultimatum, hence Krusty's press comments.

At this moment in time, what 18 days before ouy first PL game of the season, the side is desperately short and players don't seem to be falling over themselves to correct that situation. Say Clyne gets injured, he's a bit prone to it at times, who plays RB then, another sprog from the academy, no manager worth his dime would accept going into a campaign like that.

Edited by Window Cleaner