Where will we finish?

EBS1980

5th.

I fear we haven't got enough strength in depth to match Utd and Arsenal stride for stride.

The Villa game I think will be the one we look back at and regret. I can understand all the other dropped points (even Burnley) but that Villa side are so so so bad.

Still, I've started saving for Europe next year.

6th. Van Gaal will eventually find his best XI to keep Utd in the Champions League spots, and Arsenal will do what they do every year and creep in. We will also be pipped to 5th by Spurs, who after winning the League Cup receive a boost of confidence. We could perhaps have finished 4th but our run to the FA Cup final takes it's toll. In 7th is Liverpool, who could have overtaken us on the final day had we not managed a point away to City, and a Crouch hat trick for Stoke. (All from Lovren slips.)

Some juicy fixtures on the last day in the relegation battle. Leicester vs QPR and Aston Villa vs Burnley. Hull, Sunderland and WBA need to make sure they're safe by then too, as they have Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal respectively.

6th

Behind Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs (in that order). But only a few points behind 3rd/4th/5th.

Ahead of Liverpool. Way ahead of Everton (both of whom were considered to be clubs we couldn't realistically "overhaul" not so long ago).

Sadly, this.

Its weird, after we lost our manager and those players I thought we'd finish mid table, maybe 10th to 12th as we still had Fonte, Clyne, Morgan and Wanyama who I felt were all key players. I also preferred Clyne to Chambers at right back. So 10th if lucky, 12th if not (certainly below last seasons 8th).

After Koeman and co were employed I felt we could match 8th or even improve on last season as I actually thought Koeman and our signings seemed like improvements. Although unproven in the Prem, most of our signings just seemed classy and last season we suffered due to lack of depth rather than first team quality. The signings not only seemed better but we now seemed to have better cover. What I completely missjudged was how bad Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton were going to be and how poor Arsenal and Man U were going to start. Now I think we can get 4th or even 3rd, but 5th or 6th is more likely. To be fair the chances of finishing 3rd are probably the same as finishing 6th, really its anyones who wants it. What does worry me is that out of Saints, Man U, Arsenal, Tottenham and maybe Liverpool, I feel we are more likely to drop points when we shouldn't (if we want UCL football next season). I think our team is better than the ones mentioned above (on a head to head basis) and that we probably are the 3rd best team in the country (wow), but I'm not sure I trust us to be clinical and take all 3 points against the teams in the relegation battle. That and one or two key players injured could be the difference between UCL and no UCL.

Where would we be if we'd have put Liverpool away on day 1, if Mane hadn't of missed that open goal against Tottenham, if we'd have taken some of those chances vs Man U at home and if we hadn't of used up all our subs against Arsenal and played with 10 men... Imagine another 8 points on our total. That's forgetting Forsters error vs Villa and losing to Burnley :(

I hope we get 4th, 3rd would be crazy, but then again so would 4th! It's funny, after the Liverpool game I would have been disappointed with 9th, now I'll be disappointed with 5th (not in a sack Koeman way, I just really want UCL football).

Its weird, after we lost our manager and those players I thought we'd finish mid table, maybe 10th to 12th as we still had Fonte, Clyne, Morgan and Wanyama who I felt were all key players. I also preferred Clyne to Chambers at right back. So 10th if lucky, 12th if not (certainly below last seasons 8th).

After Koeman and co were employed I felt we could match 8th or even improve on last season as I actually thought Koeman and our signings seemed like improvements. Although unproven in the Prem, most of our signings just seemed classy and last season we suffered due to lack of depth rather than first team quality. The signings not only seemed better but we now seemed to have better cover. What I completely missjudged was how bad Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton were going to be and how poor Arsenal and Man U were going to start. Now I think we can get 4th or even 3rd, but 5th or 6th is more likely. To be fair the chances of finishing 3rd are probably the same as finishing 6th, really its anyones who wants it. What does worry me is that out of Saints, Man U, Arsenal, Tottenham and maybe Liverpool, I feel we are more likely to drop points when we shouldn't (if we want UCL football next season). I think our team is better than the ones mentioned above (on a head to head basis) and that we probably are the 3rd best team in the country (wow), but I'm not sure I trust us to be clinical and take all 3 points against the teams in the relegation battle. That and one or two key players injured could be the difference between UCL and no UCL.

Where would we be if we'd have put Liverpool away on day 1, if Mane hadn't of missed that open goal against Tottenham, if we'd have taken some of those chances vs Man U at home and if we hadn't of used up all our subs against Arsenal and played with 10 men... Imagine another 8 points on our total. That's forgetting Forsters error vs Villa and losing to Burnley :(

I hope we get 4th, 3rd would be crazy, but then again so would 4th! It's funny, after the Liverpool game I would have been disappointed with 9th, now I'll be disappointed with 5th (not in a sack Koeman way, I just really want UCL football).

It's the Villa and Burnley games that most annoy me. Against Liverpool, Arsenal and Utd we played brilliantly. That's all we can ask for. We weren't so good in the Spurs game, but not terrible either, and Mane's miss was just one of those things that happen. I've seen Ronaldo miss an open goal from three yards before. But the games against Villa and Burnley, we barely turned up. The performances were well below what we should expect, and were against weaker teams as well. I very much consider those result four points dropped. Mind you, every team can point to their own example. Man City dropped two points to Everton at the weekend.

Anyway, my prediction is 5th. I'm too much of a pessimist to go for a top fourth place.

I'd love to see us get top 4, but to be honest, if we can finish above Spurs and Liverpool, then I'll be very happy. That would mean 5th behind Man Utd and Arsenal I guess.

That said, I can see Sanchez firing Arsenal up to 3rd. I think the performances of Spurs and United, which are really hard to predict, will have a big say in our chances for 4th. Both have been picking up lots of points playing badly. If luck starts to turn against them a little, as you could argue it did in their games this weekend, then who knows!