West Ham's Adrian has Red Card Over-Turned

supersonic

he got sent off for handing out side the area surely? The replay must have shown a foul on the keeper before hand which in itself is bolloks because the keeper never had control of the ball and Elia was trying to win it!! FA are complete joke.

There's no such thing as a red for handling outside the area. That can be yellow card offense in some cases. You only see red in cases where the handling stops a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I think they overturned the card since Mané never had control of the ball which makes it impossible to be a clear goalscoring opportunity

FA compounding their crass decision to appoint this joke of a referee to the Premier League in the first place by overturning arguably the only big decision he got right all game. Defies belief, they are getting close to Blatter territory in terms of bizarre decisions, complete unaccountability and damaging the game they are supposed to be protecting.

FA compounding their crass decision to appoint this joke of a referee to the Premier League in the first place by overturning arguably the only big decision he got right all game. Defies belief, they are getting close to Blatter territory in terms of bizarre decisions, complete unaccountability and damaging the game they are supposed to be protecting.

Nonsense . "Damaging the game" , talk about seeing things through red and white glasses. The FA don't even appoint referees , so you're way off the mark there .

Graham Poll was on the radio the other day talking about the decision . His view , as a neutral and as a professional referee was that . It could have easily been given a foul by Mane on the keeper in the first place ,and Mane didn't have full control of the ball and wasn't facing the goal when the keeper handled . Therefore there was enough doubt that stopped it being a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity . Poll did say the decision not to sent Cole off was "shocking " which proves he's not just sticking up for refs regardless .

Nonsense . "Damaging the game" , talk about seeing things through red and white glasses. The FA don't even appoint referees , so you're way off the mark there .

Graham Poll was on the radio the other day talking about the decision . His view , as a neutral and as a professional referee was that . It could have easily been given a foul by Mane on the keeper in the first place ,and Mane didn't have full control of the ball and wasn't facing the goal when the keeper handled . Therefore there was enough doubt that stopped it being a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity . Poll did say the decision not to sent Cole off was "shocking " which proves he's not just sticking up for refs regardless .

I'm interested as to why no one seems to have noticed that Adrian kicked right through Mane's leg before the "foul" by Mane and then handball. It was inside the area too and should have been a penalty.

I thought just keeper handling outside of the box was auto red card.. Don't agree with it but was told that was officially a rule and presumed true.

Anyway regardless funniest thing was Phil Neville calling Mane's challenge a rugby tackle..

There's no such thing as a red for handling outside the area. That can be yellow card offense in some cases. You only see red in cases where the handling stops a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I think they overturned the card since Mané never had control of the ball which makes it impossible to be a clear goalscoring opportunity

Close, the current interpretation of the Laws States that the ref should take account of the direction of travel when considering a DOGSO and as they were both going away from goal, THAT'S why it's been overturned.

Of course, that is tangible nonsense in practical terms and leads to silly shïte like this, but that's refereeing for you.

I'm interested as to why no one seems to have noticed that Adrian kicked right through Mane's leg before the "foul" by Mane and then handball. It was inside the area too and should have been a penalty.

Yeah, I've been banging on about this. The supposed "pull back" was after Adrián hacked Mané's legs in the box.

I thought just keeper handling outside of the box was auto red card.. Don't agree with it but was told that was officially a rule and presumed true.

Anyway regardless funniest thing was Phil Neville calling Mane's challenge a rugby tackle..

It isn't. It's usually red because it denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Could easily be yellow if the keeper handles when there's no one within 50 yards of him.

I fail to see how that isn't a goalscoring opportunity. If Adrian hadn't dived on it, Mane clearly would've gotten to it first as they both make contact with the ball at the same time. The only decision of the match that the ref got right and it was overturned...smh. Not that it matters to us though, we still couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

Indeed. I watched it several times and Mane doesn't get much contact on the keeper at all. His arm was on him but with very little weight behind it.

I fail to see how that isn't a goalscoring opportunity. If Adrian hadn't dived on it, Mane clearly would've gotten to it first as they both make contact with the ball at the same time. The only decision of the match that the ref got right and it was overturned...smh. Not that it matters to us though, we still couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.

Mane's got his back to goal, and there's a defender a yard or so away. Still a fair bit of work to be done before it's a tap-in

Actually, it is a debatable one. I knew about the normal denial of goal scoring opportunity only when the player is moving towards the goal, which clearly isn't so in this case.

But FIFA has 2 situations listed on their website:

There are two sending-off offences that deal with denying an opponent an obvious opportunity to score a goal:

- If a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball.

- If a player denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (direct or indirect) or a penalty kick.

While I agree the 2nd (more common) case wouldn't apply, surely Adrian committed the 1st offense? It can't just be for Suarez-esque clearances off the line?

Well I would play that video back to Mane and tell what a plonker he is for not going down in agony when Adrian kicks his leg. THAT would have been a stonewall penalty decision and we would have scored and gone home with all three points! The Ref killed the entire game with poor decisions frankly and showing that red was one of them in hindsight.

well, you could

How was it not an obvious goalscoring opportunity? All Mane had to do was touch the ball to the side and he could pass it into the net.

It was way more obvious than the normal red card scenario when the last defender brings the player down, then they still have a goal keeper to beat.

How was it not an obvious goalscoring opportunity? All Mane had to do was touch the ball to the side and he could pass it into the net.

It was way more obvious than the normal red card scenario when the last defender brings the player down, then they still have a goal keeper to beat.

the keeper had the ball, he was going away from goal and at least 1 defender was there pretty quickly

it was hardly one-on-one with mane running directly at the keeper, alone....

it was a red IMO but I am biased and thought the ref was terrible anyway.

the keeper had the ball, he was going away from goal and at least 1 defender was there pretty quickly

it was hardly one-on-one with mane running directly at the keeper, alone....

it was a red IMO but I am biased and thought the ref was terrible anyway.

If the goalkeeper is that position (2 yards outside the box) and the attacker has the ball then it is an obvious opportunity to score a goal regardless of where the defenders are IMO.

Why are people still arguing over this . A neutral independent body ( as in not saints or west ham supporters) using video evidence overturned it. There is no grey area , red cards can only be overturned if the referee has made a clear and obvious error. Therefore as the rules stand , it was clearly not a red card however much people try and claim it was .

If the goalkeeper is that position (2 yards outside the box) and the attacker has the ball then it is an obvious opportunity to score a goal regardless of where the defenders are IMO.

But mane never had the ball. The keeper had and in a tangle with mane he fell on the ball.

As it has been over-turned, I think it's actually a shame that the ref gave him the red card in the first place. With 11 men on the pitch I reckon we would have beaten them. But after that incident, the anti-football that WHU played in the hope of not getting beaten was a disgrace to the game really. They might as well have been dug into fox-holes.

But mane never had the ball.

Only because the keeper dived and grabbed the ball. If the keeper doesn't dive and grab it Mane would have got the ball and had an opportunity to shoot with the keeper stranded. Not an open goal but definitely a goal scoring opportunity.

Also, why the f*ck would a goalkeeper dive 2 yards outside the area and grab the ball at a strikers feet if he didn't think it was a goal scoring opportunity?

Edited by aintforever

Also, why the f*ck would a goalkeeper dive 2 yards outside the area and grab the ball at a strikers feet if he didn't think it was a goal scoring opportunity?

Exactly. Adrian obviously thought it was a goal scoring opportunity or he wouldn't have done what he did.

Only because the keeper dived and grabbed the ball. If the keeper doesn't dive and grab it Mane would have got the ball and had an opportunity to shoot with the keeper stranded. Not an open goal but definitely a goal scoring opportunity.

dunno. i thought it was a red but can see why it was over turned.