SAINTS v Aston Villa build up thread

Coxford_lou

seriously do we want Europa league football?.......we have been **** poor since January. The transfer window proved to me we were not serious about Europe unless they were deluded to think we could maintain our 1st half a season form throughout the whole season...really???

We have no way got a squad capable of competing on both fronts. Don't get me wrong, i think this has been a brilliant season considering what happened pre-season....just a shame we have been so poor since January

seriously do we want Europa league football?.......we have been **** poor since January. The transfer window proved to me we were not serious about Europe unless they were deluded to think we could maintain our 1st half a season form throughout the whole season...really???

We have no way got a squad capable of competing on both fronts. Don't get me wrong, i think this has been a brilliant season considering what happened pre-season....just a shame we have been so poor since January

14 points in 14 games since we beat Man Utd on Jan 17th. Bordering on Relegation form.

14 points in 14 games since we beat Man Utd on Jan 17th. Bordering on Relegation form.

Thing is, you can't criticise that the manager or the key players that have woefully underperformed.

Pelle is just trash

What was the point in spending so much money on long and then deploy him as a wide player

No getting in an adequate reserve keeper

Letting cork go for a couple of million.

Elia and djuricic

Tadic going missing completely for the last few months

Thing is, you can't criticise that the manager or the key players that have woefully underperformed.

What was the point in spending so much money on long and then deploy him as a wide player

Long played one game up front for us - against Chelsea - he and we were superb that day. I have no doubt that when Pelle is on form he can score a hatful, but when he's off form get him out the f*cking team.

He must have been gutted after this -

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11859789.Long__Keep_me_up_front/

Pelle is just trash

No getting in an adequate reserve keeper

Letting cork go for a couple of million.

Elia and djuricic

Tadic going missing completely for the last few months

The early season success is protecting Koeman for the time being, but if we start next season as we are finishing this one the club will learn that goodwill can erode quickly.

The early season success is protecting Koeman for the time being, but if we start next season as we are finishing this one the club will learn that goodwill can erode quickly.

Unless we're getting relegated I don't think we should get rid of Koeman at all.

We've had our chances throughout the season and generally blown them, we are not good when it comes to the pressure games - not necessarily against the big teams, but the games where there is a bit riding on it. Spurs and Liverpool have given us more than enough chances to catch them and we've not been good enough.

You have to take your hat off to Swansea, big game, and they've coped much better than we ever could. Add to the fact that they are still giving their all for the cause, whilst we have been going through the motions for weeks.

I don't see us getting another point this season, Villa heading for Wembley, we're heading on holiday, no chance of getting anything from city either.

Bottom line, we had a great chance this season and blew it. I don't think we will have a better season for quite a few years now.

Sums it up for me too. It raises big questions over a) our lauded recruitment team and the famous "black box" b) the tactical awareness of the Manager (we have played the same way since pre-season ffs! I thought Poch was one dimensional...) c) the motivational ability of the Manager (can't seem to get the team to raise their game and show consistent commitment).

And before anyone starts with the "the boys are exhausted" line, I would point out that we went out of the League Cup and FA Cup early, and had NO OTHER distractions in our season. It's all very well for Les Reed to come out and say we are going to supplement our squad from the Academy, but are the players good enough to maintain a top half Prem position? It strikes me more of trying to maintain a position in the Prem on the cheap, and looking to maintain a Mike Ashley business model whereby we look to generate a significant amount of revenue off player sales. IMO

But did not RK say that KD would be back in goal on Saturday, some interview with Blackmore or other ?

Mind you that's not very reassuring either actually.

No, he said that Gazzaniga would be in goal for Leicester and then Villa. Davis will be back for the City game to play his 300th game.

He wanted to see the position of these 2 before making decisions on goalkeepers in the summer, so hopefully he now realises we need 2 :)

No, he said that Gazzaniga would be in goal for Leicester and then Villa. Davis will be back for the City game to play his 300th game.

He wanted to see the position of these 2 before making decisions on goalkeepers in the summer, so hopefully he now realises we need 2 :)

You have to question just how seriously the management view Europa League qualification if we're giving Gazzaniga games to see if he's good enough for NEXT season and also then, for sentimental reasons, throw Davis back in for the City game to get his 300th appearance.

That sort of attitude sends a strong message of "season is over, let's plan for next year"

We've had our chances throughout the season and generally blown them, we are not good when it comes to the pressure games - not necessarily against the big teams, but the games where there is a bit riding on it. Spurs and Liverpool have given us more than enough chances to catch them and we've not been good enough.

You have to take your hat off to Swansea, big game, and they've coped much better than we ever could. Add to the fact that they are still giving their all for the cause, whilst we have been going through the motions for weeks.

I don't see us getting another point this season, Villa heading for Wembley, we're heading on holiday, no chance of getting anything from city either.

Bottom line, we had a great chance this season and blew it. I don't think we will have a better season for quite a few years now.

Which are these pressure games that you've decided we're not good at?

You have to question just how seriously the management view Europa League qualification if we're giving Gazzaniga games to see if he's good enough for NEXT season and also then, for sentimental reasons, throw Davis back in for the City game to get his 300th appearance.

That sort of attitude sends a strong message of "season is over, let's plan for next year"

Fair point

Don't think Koeman has much choice - Davis and Gazzaniga are on a par I reckon, neither are really Premiership class and the mistake RK made was relying on FF staying fit. Thanks to an over watered pitch he got caught out and we are now paying the price.

Don't think Koeman has much choice - Davis and Gazzaniga are on a par I reckon, neither are really Premiership class and the mistake RK made was relying on FF staying fit. Thanks to an over watered pitch he got caught out and we are now paying the price.

Thanks to Forster slipping when clearing the ball, no confirmation pitch watering had anything to do with it.

Absolutely spot on, but Koeman's been very clear that's our goal for some time.

Makes you wonder what's happened that makes us suddenly unmotivated...

Absolutely spot on, but Koeman's been very clear that's our goal for some time.

Makes you wonder what's happened that makes us suddenly unmotivated...

Reality attack I suppose, we probably can't afford to buy much without selling and if we sell it's only the better players that will be targetted. Vicious circle, too much money wasted on average players last summer. Now if we could sell Long .......

Interesting point.

Reality attack I suppose, we probably can't afford to buy much without selling and if we sell it's only the better players that will be targetted. Vicious circle, too much money wasted on average players last summer. Now if we could sell Long .......

Massive looming increase in Prem cash, might be better to buy this summer compared to next. No idea why you'd want to sell Long. He's clearly a moneyball signing, identify the players you want and buy them when they're available. He's not played up front much so can't be judged on his goalscoring, and the last goal we scored at home was set up by him doing something we've been sorely lacking, an early ball into Pelle's head in the box.

Didn't happen away at Cardiff last season.

That's all I've got.

During his 2013 run in the side, we won 1, drew 2, lost 3. Not too bad really, but when you consider this nice statistic...

5.5 games (1 Dec Chelsea - 26 Dec Cardiff).

Opposition shots on target: 16.

Goals conceded: 10.

Excluding the Newcastle game the ratio would be 'Shots 11, Conceded 9'. Impressive!

During his 2013 run in the side, we won 1, drew 2, lost 3. Not too bad really, but when you consider this nice statistic...

5.5 games (1 Dec Chelsea - 26 Dec Cardiff).

Opposition shots on target: 16.

Goals conceded: 10.

Excluding the Newcastle game the ratio would be 'Shots 11, Conceded 9'. Impressive!

I am more than aware of that, even the Cardiff match it came across as absolutely chaos and them hitting him with the ball rather than him making saves. But he has clearly improved since then. Maybe not enough to be starting at the moment.

This won't be the team....

----------------- Davis -------------------

Clyne - Fonte - Alderweireld - Bertrand

-------------- Schneiderlin* ---------------

Djuricic ------ Hesketh ----Ward-Prowse

-------- Mane ------- Gallagher ---------

Subs: Cropper, Targett, Yoshida, Wanyama/Reed*, Seager, Long, Pelle

(*depends if Morgan is fit)

Edited by trousers

Good, because it's a load of toss. :)

Sadly Gallagher picked up an injury Monday night, back and pelvis, so is unlikely to be fit for Saturday. A shame having just broken into the first team squad for the Leicester game.

Sadly Gallagher picked up an injury Monday night, back and pelvis, so is unlikely to be fit for Saturday. A shame having just broken into the first team squad for the Leicester game.

Even if he was available he'd probably be the one to make way for Ward-Prowse's return to the match day squad.

It would do if it was ignoring a good keeper, but Davis and Gazza are both poor. Experienced poor and inexperienced poor perhaps, but I've seen both make good saves and both concede soft goals. I don't feel any different with either of them in goal.

Neither do I, in fact I've seen a bit more potential in Gazzaniga to make me think he might be an ok number 3 next year, and I don't in theory have a problem with Gazzaniga playing. But the point I'm making is Koeman went with Kelvin at first and has stated that the reason Gazzaniga played last week and will play on Saturday is because they want to learn something in preparation for next season, and he has also said Kelvin will play at City for sentimental reasons.

These are not the reasons you pick players if you have a lot to play for and are fighting for every point you can get are they? And if that is the approach and attitude Koeman and the staff have to the last few games of the season is it any real surprise the intensity of the players was nowhere near what it should be against Leicester?

With Gazza in goal of course we've lost, which makes it even more surprising why Koeman would start him. As a Saints manager I really expected him to want to win all his games, but to openly come out and state that your intention is to lose the game by playing Gazzaniga, it hugely surprising.

If any one else in another profession came out and said they are going to intentionally damage the fortunes of the company they work for, they'd probably get the sack.

Weird times at SMS. Sometime going on behind the scenes.

With Gazza in goal of course we've lost, which makes it even more surprising why Koeman would start him. As a Saints manager I really expected him to want to win all his games, but to openly come out and state that your intention is to lose the game by playing Gazzaniga, it hugely surprising.

If any one else in another profession came out and said they are going to intentionally damage the fortunes of the company they work for, they'd probably get the sack.

Gazzaniga was in goal when we beat Aston Villa 4-1...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19615244

:lol::lol::lol:

On course for the best ever finish in the premier league after having the first team ripped asunder and having to do a complete rebuild.... And dopey feckers like you are actually implying he will soon be considered for the sack....

Get a serious grip of your teats. Never heard so much BS.

Good point from one of the comments:

The irony of it all is that teams are so desperate to chase the 4th CL spot, they might end up costing the league that 4th CL spot because of their lack of commitment to the Europa League.

Currently England is 2nd in the UEFA co-efficient. However, based on the last 4 seasons Germany will leap frog them next season (unless English teams drastically outperform German teams). That would put England in 3rd, with Serie A only needing a 4 point swing to overtake England, demoting the EPL to just 3 CL places - bearing in mind Serie A still has 3 teams in Europe earning them coefficient points while England has none, and this seasons swing currently stands at +5 in Serie A's favour.

So, if English, German & Italian teams have similar seasons next year, England will lose it's 4th place to Italy and the lack of commitment to the Europa League will be a big part of that.

Good point from one of the comments:

The irony of it all is that teams are so desperate to chase the 4th CL spot, they might end up costing the league that 4th CL spot because of their lack of commitment to the Europa League.

Currently England is 2nd in the UEFA co-efficient. However, based on the last 4 seasons Germany will leap frog them next season (unless English teams drastically outperform German teams). That would put England in 3rd, with Serie A only needing a 4 point swing to overtake England, demoting the EPL to just 3 CL places - bearing in mind Serie A still has 3 teams in Europe earning them coefficient points while England has none, and this seasons swing currently stands at +5 in Serie A's favour.

So, if English, German & Italian teams have similar seasons next year, England will lose it's 4th place to Italy and the lack of commitment to the Europa League will be a big part of that.

Bearing in mind that we'll never qualify for the Champions League, I'd absolutely love to see this happen (as with the financial dominance of City/Chelsea, to see at least one of Arsenal/United regularly dropping out of the CL would be quite delightful).

Anyway, that's why it won't happen. England is in no danger whatsoever. There's just too much money in the Premiership for them to allow huge clubs to miss out ona regular basis.