Liverhampton

washsaint

lallana swept the board with end of year awards and was in the PFA team of the year

if you think that values him around the same as shane long then you have no hope

It's all relative and ultimately a player's value is what anybody is prepared to pay for him. But comparing him with what we paid for Long (£12m I understand) is one way of assessing it. However, you might as well ask whether he is worth twice the price they paid for Sturridge, or three times what they paid for Countinho.

Can anyone confirm to me whether liverpool showed outstanding character last night? Cheers

I understand that yes, they did.

Furthermore Brenda has confirmed he is the best man to take this great club forward, and has asked that we judge him in three years.

lallana swept the board with end of year awards and was in the PFA team of the year

if you think that values him around the same as shane long then you have no hope

yet..

2014/2015 PL

Adam Lallana : 27 appearances | 1792 minutes | 5 goals | 3 assists

Shane Long : 32 appearances | 1542 minutes | 5 goals | 5 assists

2015/2016 PL to date

Adam Lallana : 3 appearances | 180 minutes | 0 goals | 0 assists

Shane Long : 4 appearances | 176 minutes | 1 goal | 0 assists

2015/2016 - all other competitions to date

Adam Lallana : 2 appearances | 1 goal | 0 assists

Shane Long : 4 appearances | 3 goals | 0 assists

statistically pretty even.

Interesting comments from Lawrenson today

Personally, I don't usually wish many people in this world ill however I am hoping that Rodgers does get sacked. This comes from his derogatory comments about Saints not having ambition - such a patronising and actually nasty thing to say about another club (especially since he clearly covets our players so much)

Interesting comments from Lawrenson today

Personally, I don't usually wish many people in this world ill however I am hoping that Rodgers does get sacked. This comes from his derogatory comments about Saints not having ambition - such a patronising and actually nasty thing to say about another club (especially since he clearly covets our players so much)

Exactly how I feel about him. And to think I actually rated him at one stage. Just goes to show how wrong one can be.

yet..

2014/2015 PL

2015/2016 PL to date

LOL Shane Long has a better end product than Lallana who would of thought it? Just goes to show endless Cruyff turns can make anyone look good.....

yet..

2014/2015 PL

2015/2016 PL to date

look forward to long sweeping the floor at the end of season awards then

He was excellent for us, although fitness was an issue, but he has yet to show that form at Liverpool.

I wouldn't be putting too much of my hard earned on him doing that just yet either.

Hopefully between form and injury he has another **** year, gets sold at a cut-price to Liverpool's current cast-off club Stoke, and then fades into footballing obscurity.

That'd be my wish.

Bastard.

are people really suggesting that long last season was as good as lallana in his final season with us?

really?

Not sure anyone is making a direct comparison in that regard. Mind you those stats if true are interesting.

I imagine what people are doing is pointing out respective value for money based on how much the two club's spent to get them in.

What would you value Lallana at right this minute?

Not sure anyone is making a direct comparison in that regard. Mind you those stats if true are interesting.

I imagine what people are doing is pointing out respective value for money based on how much the two club's spent to get them in.

What would you value Lallana at right this minute?

what would you value long at this minute

if both were for sale to the highest bidder, lallana would go for a great deal more than long.

what would you value long at this minute

if both were for sale to the highest bidder, lallana would go for a great deal more than long.

More yes. A great deal more? Not so sure. Long was over priced yes, but I'd argue Lallana's value has decreased in the past 12 months.

He hasn't done much to justify the price we sold him for and I doubt Liverpool would get anything close to it if they put him in the window.

Just my two cents.

Before Shane Long came to Southampton he was one of those players who you always feared when he was in the opposing team. He's been under-used here but mainly due to the competition for places. All the same, he looks to me well worth the fee the club paid. Speed, accuracy, team work and ability to read the game for those deadly runs behind the defence; you can't ask a lot more from a striker.

Before Shane Long came to Southampton he was one of those players who you always feared when he was in the opposing team. He's been under-used here but mainly due to the competition for places. All the same, he looks to me well worth the fee the club paid. Speed, accuracy, team work and ability to read the game for those deadly runs behind the defence; you can't ask a lot more from a striker.

What about being able to control the ball?

Transfer fees mean nothing. Rickie was clearly worth more than the million or so we paid for him. You could argue all day long that Long wasn't worth £12m but if that is what the club felt happy with and wanted him that badly, £12m it is. Personally I would rather pay £12m for Long than £16m for Chambers but it was Wenger's call and sobeit. Lallana, Lovren and Shaw - you could argue that we got way more for them than we should have . It is all relative.

Transfer fees mean nothing. Rickie was clearly worth more than the million or so we paid for him. You could argue all day long that Long wasn't worth £12m but if that is what the club felt happy with and wanted him that badly, £12m it is. Personally I would rather pay £12m for Long than £16m for Chambers but it was Wenger's call and sobeit. Lallana, Lovren and Shaw - you could argue that we got way more for them than we should have . It is all relative.

None of it is relative really - just because Liverpool sold Fernando Torres for £50m it didn't justify spending £35m on Andy Carroll. Just because we sold Calum Chambers for £16m it didn't make signing Shane Long for £12m ok. You should judge each transfer on its own merits. Obviously a players ability is only one of the factors that impacts fees. Shane Long doesn't appear to be a first choice player when everyone is fit - couple that with his goalscoring record and I am not sure that £12m can be justified in any respect. However, he is a good player with desirable attributes for us to have. But you can't ignore the money we paid for him, it's a lot. Outside last years top four plus Liverpool and Spurs no club in this league comes close to the amount of £10m+ players in their squad that we do.

It doesn't make it ok to who though? If the people who spend the money are ok with it, isn't that all that matters? If you paid £3000 more for a car than its "market worth" what difference does it make to the bloke next door? You don't agree that we should have paid £12m for Long or that Liverpool should have spent £35m for Carroll which is your opinion and fair enough - but if the clubs are willing to pay that money that is their choice and means the player is worth it in their valuation. Long may not be a first choice but nowadays we have squads and he plays a part from the bench. Look how much teams like Citeh spend on their benches. We may have paid a lot for him but strikers do come at a premium. I am not saying that I agree that he is worth that much money, but if the club think he is worth it that really is all that matters. They wont not buy a player just because the fans think he is overpriced.

Championship sides are paying £9m for average strikers, Hull went with a fancy foreign import to "improve the squad" and got relegated. £12m for a proven premier league 1 in 3/4 game player is a good deal and i think he's done more than his price tag would expect.

It doesn't make it ok to who though? If the people who spend the money are ok with it, isn't that all that matters? If you paid £3000 more for a car than its "market worth" what difference does it make to the bloke next door? You don't agree that we should have paid £12m for Long or that Liverpool should have spent £35m for Carroll which is your opinion and fair enough - but if the clubs are willing to pay that money that is their choice and means the player is worth it in their valuation. Long may not be a first choice but nowadays we have squads and he plays a part from the bench. Look how much teams like Citeh spend on their benches. We may have paid a lot for him but strikers do come at a premium. I am not saying that I agree that he is worth that much money, but if the club think he is worth it that really is all that matters. They wont not buy a player just because the fans think he is overpriced.

If you are just going to take the line that 'if the club are fine with it then I am fine with it' then a good 80% of the chatter on here is pointless to you :)

The clubs transfer business - good and bad - should always be up for debate as it is one of the most important things it does that impacts our experience as fans. We get more right than wrong, and I'm not saying Shane Long falls into that wrong category either, but I don't think we as fans should just accept that everything the club does is ok and that is all that matters. It doesn't matter to me that Fulham spent eight figures on Ross McCormack and it doesn't matter to me how much Man City spending on fringe players. I just look at what Saints do and whether we're a better team / squad for it and if that money seemed a worthwhile investment.

If you are just going to take the line that 'if the club are fine with it then I am fine with it' then a good 80% of the chatter on here is pointless to you :)

The clubs transfer business - good and bad - should always be up for debate as it is one of the most important things it does that impacts our experience as fans. We get more right than wrong, and I'm not saying Shane Long falls into that wrong category either, but I don't think we as fans should just accept that everything the club does is ok and that is all that matters. It doesn't matter to me that Fulham spent eight figures on Ross McCormack and it doesn't matter to me how much Man City spending on fringe players. I just look at what Saints do and whether we're a better team / squad for it and if that money seemed a worthwhile investment.

I appreciate what you saying and we can debate players' valuations all day long and get nowhere. If Hull had paid £10m for him would we feel that £12m was still over the top? Maybe. If Long had better ball control and was a more prolific scorer I doubt if he would be playing for us or if we could afford him. I just think he has been here a while now and what he cost us originally has been done to death. He is here. He cost £12m. We all had a good moan about it when he signed but the situation has moved on. For the record I think that we overpaid for him but he is a very useful squad player and handy to bring off the bench when defenders are tiring. Are we better for having him? I think so. Are there better players out there? Yes. As I say, it is all relative and there are plenty of clubs out there who spend money on players that are probably over priced. But if a club is prepared to pay that price, that is what the player is worth to them. Whether we like it or not is neither here nor there but it does fill in the time debating the issue!

A conservative estimate I reckon.

I appreciate what you saying and we can debate players' valuations all day long and get nowhere. If Hull had paid £10m for him would we feel that £12m was still over the top? Maybe. If Long had better ball control and was a more prolific scorer I doubt if he would be playing for us or if we could afford him. I just think he has been here a while now and what he cost us originally has been done to death. He is here. He cost £12m. We all had a good moan about it when he signed but the situation has moved on. For the record I think that we overpaid for him but he is a very useful squad player and handy to bring off the bench when defenders are tiring. Are we better for having him? I think so. Are there better players out there? Yes. As I say, it is all relative and there are plenty of clubs out there who spend money on players that are probably over priced. But if a club is prepared to pay that price, that is what the player is worth to them. Whether we like it or not is neither here nor there but it does fill in the time debating the issue!

Agree with this - thought Long was expensive and not that good when we first got him, but on reflection he gives it his all, gets stuck in, is at times great - maybe lacks consistency (where have we heard that before?), and in my books a much better return than Gaston or certainly Osvaldo! I like him and think he will get better for us (Brett O, type rather than Ted McD - showing my age), but if he stays long enough (see what I did there?) maybe he will in the "Franny" bracket?

Before Shane Long came to Southampton he was one of those players who you always feared when he was in the opposing team.

He's been under-used here but mainly due to the competition for places. All the same, he looks to me well worth the fee the club paid.

Speed, accuracy, team work and ability to read the game for those deadly runs behind the defence; you can't ask a lot more from a striker.

IMHO Shane Long has done well enough..given greatly-reduced game time he's had (compared to several others) since his arrival. People keep going on about the fee.

£12 million seemed a lot ...at the time, but we were desperate to get extra cover up top and made Hull a vastly overpriced offer " they couldn't afford to refuse ".

In the light of the Gaston and Osvaldo deals, I'd say....that given the chances he had...Long was money better spent than those other two catastrophic contracts, which will surely reflect negatively in the profit column in the next Annual Report.

We'd only be able to make a just comparison if he had a run of games, but he does pop up with goals ----even for Ireland where he also plays " a bit part near the end ".

are people really suggesting that long last season was as good as lallana in his final season with us?

really?

No. They are suggesting that Long last season was probably slightly better than Lallana last season.

Just like Yoshia last season was better than Lovren last season, but not better than Lovren was with us.

True story. Family checking in at Manchester Airport. Youngest son wearing a Saints away shirt with Clasie on the back.Scouser in the queue laughs and says 'Clasie? Who's he?' Young lad replies 'You SHOULD know,he plays for Southampton!'

Like it - but he could also have said "You will find out, he will be playing for you next season."

People get so hung up on the transfer fee and forget the wages.

My rough guess is that Long is paid about 30% of what Lallana gets paid and so this needs to be factored in to whether they are each "worth it" or not.

Very rough guess on what each would be sellable for? Long £8m, Lallana £12m.

That's a massive capital depreciation on both players, but on an epic scale for Lallana. Not as bad as Osvaldo though, admittedly.

Don't Arsenal have more ex Saints players than Liverhapton now? They should receive the accolade too . Arsehampton

They have the same number (3). Difference is that they have purchased them over a period of years, they didn't come shopping at Southampton on a bulk buy basis. They also did us a favour in some respects with Walcott, given the dire financial straits we were in at the time, his transfer was almost 10 years ago now. The two clubs and how we do business with them are very different cases.