Vitesse V Saints Thread

marc_saint

Yeah remember that walk in the park second leg game

Yup 4-0 up from the 1st leg

Five of us went to Vicarage Rd for the 'easy' second leg against a lower division team

Lost 7-1.

In a local chip shop after the game and a young Hornets fan in brand new gear (1st game I think) said to his Dad ...'Is it always like this at Watford'!!!

Only when you play the Saints someone said

The Saints media team do an excellent job on the whole with some fantastic innovations but why are they always so slow to make announcements!?

BT Sport announced on their coverage last Thursday that they would be showing the return leg

They didn't announce the channel at the time, the commentator actually suggested it would be on the new BT Sport Europe channel - which it isn't.

Don't think we need a full strength team, but that doesn't mean it should be weak.

I'd play Yoshi again and Caulker v Newcastle. Maybe let Martina play, JWP and Davis, Shane Long and Juanmi for Mane and Tadic. Still a strong team that can win and quality on the bench.

If I was going to play Caulker in any game, it would be Vitesse, but personally I'd play him in neither and stick with Fonte and Yoshida. I think it is in midfield and up front we may need more rotation. I like the idea of Long in this away game for his work rate and pace on the break.

Think I'd pick

----------Stekelenburg--------

Cedric Fonte Caulker Targett

---------Wanyama Reed-------

Ward-Prowse Juanmi Rodriguez

----------------Long

Keeper shouldn't matter as he's not getting tired, strongest defence available and opportunity to further integrate Caulker alongside Fonte to see if he can play left side CB, Wanyama for security with Reed to learn a bit and not risk Clasie who may be injured, a second-choice attacking midfield but still with excellent potential, and leave Pelle out to give Long a start - he and Rodriguez can switch positions.

I can understand wanting to keep Fonte and Yoshida in the side together, and maybe not picking Reed, who's a bit of a card risk usually, and some people might want to play Pelle all the time for obvious reasons, but if nothing else it's nice to see the options we have.

Edited by The9

Caulker can't play I don't think. Or at least he didn't seem to think he could play when Solent interviewed him.

There was a link to the rules posted a couple of days ago which implied that if he'd signed by midnight CET on the day before the game he could play in the second leg (or something like that). I can't even remember whether he did, 28_H.

c915f416f6c2feb016c3ceaca9103e76.jpg

Guessing the 2nd part was completed to make him eligible?

As mentioned above... needed to sign before midnight CET before the first leg.

Announced at 13:55 on 29th July on the OS http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150729-steven-caulker-announcement-signing-2579154.aspx, match was played on 30th, so he should be eligible as he was with the club before midnight, as long we've notified them he's eligible for the Premier League (which presumably he is).

All assuming we meet the criteria about number of club-trained players, of course.

Edited by The9

Looks like they authorities in Arnhem are expecting around 2,000 Saints fans to travel out. They're not expecting issues but have things in place should it get angsty.

Leave the plastic chairs alone!

http://www.vitesse.org/nieuws/vitesse_in_de_media/uit_de_media/arnhem-krijgt-voor-een-dag-een-southampton-plein.html

Arnhem gets a Southampton Square, for the duration of a day. At the request of the municipality to focus the catering entrepreneurs of the Jansplaats their square Thursday in British style, with flags and banners, two large biercarroussels and a barbecue. Matter of good hosting Arnhem expected that day about 2,000 supporters of the English football club Southampton, which Thursday the return match against Vitesse will play in the Europa League. "Good hospitality" According to Arndt Stroink, safety manager of the municipality wants Arnhem facilitate the supporters of Southampton 'good '. "We offer them a nice place in the city where they day and night to keep their own party. Matter of good hospitality. However, in view of security it is useful if we know where the English are." Korenmarkt Stroink say they can not prevent the British also visit the nearby Corn Market, where will haunt Vitesse supporters. "It allows our guests are free to come and go as they please. There are no fences around the Jansplaats or something. But they certainly have their own views. We have about had a meeting with the board of the fan club." 'No problems' The adviser of the Mayor does not expect any problems with the visitors. "I'm going to assume that it remains cozy, given the experience gained in Southampton with Vitesse supporters." If anything should happen disturbances, then the mayor has sufficient police capacity on hand, says Stroink.

Stek

Martina. Fonte. Caulker. Targett

wanyama. reed

juanmi. ward prowse. Davis

Long

0-1 or 0-0(Although I did have a dream we lost 8-1)

Be interesting to see how we approach the game with it almost secured .Think this team offers the defensive strength in midfield which will be too much for Vitesse.

Vitesse are about to get Dominic Solanke on a loan for this next season, trainer Peter Bosch said he'll be a necessary addition to the squad.

Not to demean his talent, and I know he can't play thursday, but that's the level you're playing against. A 17-year old is regarded as a welcome first team addition.

Vitesse are about to get Dominic Solanke on a loan for this next season, trainer Peter Bosch said he'll be a necessary addition to the squad.

Not to demean his talent, and I know he can't play thursday, but that's the level you're playing against. A 17-year old is regarded as a welcome first team addition.

Does anyone know where I can find odds on top scorers in Holland this season? I think Solanke is going to be a great player.

Looks like they authorities in Arnhem are expecting around 2,000 Saints fans to travel out. They're not expecting issues but have things in place should it get angsty.

Leave the plastic chairs alone!

http://www.vitesse.org/nieuws/vitesse_in_de_media/uit_de_media/arnhem-krijgt-voor-een-dag-een-southampton-plein.html

Arnhem gets a Southampton Square, for the duration of a day. At the request of the municipality to focus the catering entrepreneurs of the Jansplaats their square Thursday in British style, with flags and banners, two large biercarroussels and a barbecue. Matter of good hosting Arnhem expected that day about 2,000 supporters of the English football club Southampton, which Thursday the return match against Vitesse will play in the Europa League. "Good hospitality" According to Arndt Stroink, safety manager of the municipality wants Arnhem facilitate the supporters of Southampton 'good '. "We offer them a nice place in the city where they day and night to keep their own party. Matter of good hospitality. However, in view of security it is useful if we know where the English are." Korenmarkt Stroink say they can not prevent the British also visit the nearby Corn Market, where will haunt Vitesse supporters. "It allows our guests are free to come and go as they please. There are no fences around the Jansplaats or something. But they certainly have their own views. We have about had a meeting with the board of the fan club." 'No problems' The adviser of the Mayor does not expect any problems with the visitors. "I'm going to assume that it remains cozy, given the experience gained in Southampton with Vitesse supporters." If anything should happen disturbances, then the mayor has sufficient police capacity on hand, says Stroink.

"We have about had a meeting with the board of the fan club"

I hope that wasn't with Richard Chorley.

"where they day and night to keep their own party"

Surely the idea of going abroad is to "party" with some different people?

"if anything should happen disturbances, then the mayor has sufficient police capacity on hand"

There can never be sufficient police to cope with our top boys. Never.

Game is live on BT Sport 2.

Does anyone know any pubs n Winchester that will be showing the game?

I am hoping most of the pubs that have Sky will just add the BT Sport channels.

Is there any other way to watch it or am I going to have to switch to BT broadband and get BT Sport for free or just subscribe to BT TV?

Does anyone know any pubs n Winchester that will be showing the game?

I am hoping most of the pubs that have Sky will just add the BT Sport channels.

Is there any other way to watch it or am I going to have to switch to BT broadband and get BT Sport for free or just subscribe to BT TV?

County Arms, by the hospital.

The Exchange, Southgate Street

If all else fails, my house @ Badger Farm :)

I can't for the life of me see how playing away on a Thursday night will be anything but a hinderance to performances on Sunday.

As such, we should go with the weakest team that's nevertheless capable of avoiding a three-goal defeat (which, lets be fair, should be more-or-less any XI we pick).

I'd much rather lose 2-0 after putting out a team that won't be playing on Sunday than win 2-0 and have to knacker our best players out for absolutely no reason.

I can't for the life of me see how playing away on a Thursday night will be anything but a hinderance to performances on Sunday.

As such, we should go with the weakest team that's nevertheless capable of avoiding a three-goal defeat (which, lets be fair, should be more-or-less any XI we pick).

I'd much rather lose 2-0 after putting out a team that won't be playing on Sunday than win 2-0 and have to knacker our best players out for absolutely no reason.

Trouble with all that is we might not be able to limit it once they go 2-nil up. Vitesse aren't very good but we shouldn't (and won't) extract the urite.

I'd go virtually full-strength for this. We're at the stage of the season where match sharpness is a bonus. Shouldn't we actually get into the competition first?

Some are already talking like we're going to be playing Thursday-Sunday every few weeks throughout the season.

If we end up struggling stick the ball away (it does happen!), we need to lock Vitesse out. I wouldn't fancy trying that with a defence/defensive midfield consisting of kids and reserves. If we get an early goal then that changes everything and we can start playing percentages, making early changes to protect players.

I assume you weren't at Watford Sept 1980 Steve?

Oooo that left a very nasty scar which the scab has been picked at a few times, Aston Villa at home sticks out!!

Anyone who experienced that Watford game probably still never sits comfortably when Saints are 3/4 goals to the good with no return even in these recent good times................. Ok Manes 3 minute special pretty much the exception as that was shock and awe and Villa were gibbering wrecks.

Vitesse like, Watford that night, have nothing to play for so will relax......... One goes in they become a different animal.

Oooo that left a very nasty scar which the scab has been picked at a few times, Aston Villa at home sticks out!!

Anyone who experienced that Watford game probably still never sits comfortably when Saints are 3/4 goals to the good with no return even in these recent good times.................

And Tranmere in the cup :(

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

#Vitesse midfielder Lewis Baker: "We saw in the last game that #SaintsFC are a very strong team. All we can do tomorrow is try our best."

Baker: "#SaintsFC are a very big club. All we can do tomorrow is give our best and hopefully get three or four goals against them."

#Vitesse coach Peter Bosz: "If you're realistic, it's going to be really difficult [to progress]. They have more mature quality." #saintsfc

Bosz: "It is possible. Tomorrow we expect to have 20,000 people, which is fantastic after losing 3-0." #saintsfc

Bosz: "Our fans were outstanding in Southampton, so we want to perform for them. The fans can help us – they did in that game." #saintsfc

Bosz: "Everything is possible. There's still a chance – why not?" #saintsfc

That's all from the #Vitesse press conference. We'll hear from @RonaldKoeman and @GPelle19 this evening. #saintsfc

I know their comments are realistic' date=' but they do sound very defeatist. Not the sort of thing fans want to hear in public.[/quote']

no point in building up fans illusions, Vitesse were a pretty poor side, dutch football has been milked of anything decent for a handful of coppers.

I know their comments are realistic' date=' but they do sound very defeatist. Not the sort of thing fans want to hear in public.[/quote']

Clearly designed to lull Southampton into a false sense of security. Top notch mind games.

I'm not so sure, I'd rather a manager assumed a degree of intelligence on the part of the fans and kept things realistic. I've just Oddscheckered the 'to qualify' market and saints are currently 1/200 and 1/300 at the only two bookies taking bets. Any fan of either club can do the same and it looks a little silly to imply that Vitesse's mission objective can be anything other than 'do your best'.

Having said all that, you are right in that their team does appear very unambitious on the pitch, and I did actually make the point that its not even certain that they'll go all out for the 3-0 win to progress. I can genuinely see them being somewhat conservative even if they go a goal up just to get the win on the night in front of their home fans.

Vitesse might be worth a tenner to qualify in that case, should cover the cost of the trip should the worst happen!

Edit - or not, only 16/1!

Yep. only 16/1 in a two horse race whilst Saints are 1/250 . If you ever wondered how bookies make their money ......