Pelle Set to Leave For China - Telegraph

Guided Missile

Puel has got to be a cheap choice for manager. No club to pay off , comes from a league where the wages will be less than the premier league. Not saying he will be good or bad just its a fact we didn't aggressively go after another clubs manager and chose the option we thought was best, it might be a coincidence that it was also probably the cheapest option.

As a club it seems we value money above all else.sell players before they can go for free, sell at the highest value. By all accounts Pelle would have stayed but we want to "cash in". only buy players with a resale value etc etc

Hopefully Les etc know what they are doing! It has worked for them so far.

But yeah the silence is deafening and the ITKs have also gone quiet.

Feckin melt!

or, the story was ‘leaked’ so that other clubs don’t think they have us over a barrel when we go shopping for a lead-the-line striker? possibly you lot could give the board some credit instead of all the sourness… i think they’ve been quite thoughtful and measured and successful in recruitment, especially compared with other teams at our financial level.

Feckin melt!

#wemelton

Why is everything that doesn't say everything is good a melt down?

It's a fact we value the cash..I am not saying it's good or bad..personally there were loads of times I thought we should get rid of Pelle...I am pointing out that it's our policy!

Whichever way you look at it we've lost 3 of our star players again. But will wait to see who we sign before worrying too much.

Farks sake: 1 had 1 year to run when we would say "bye bye". Another gave another year and is now off. the third is old and off to China for the money. People choose what they want to do - it is after all a free market. You cannot compel people to work for you in the same way tht they cannot compel you to employ them. A squad of 30-odd, working life of 12 years, means 2-3 out is just natural attrition.

Not blaming you n particular, but people seem to assume we can compel people to work for SFC when that is just not the way the world works. Plus also ignore that argument when we sign players.

God - we would be well furked if the firum had to run the club

#wemelton

It's a fact we value the cash..I am not saying it's good or bad..personally there were loads of times I thought we should get rid of Pelle...I am pointing out that it's our policy!

Wanyama was always off, the writing was on the wall last autumn, no surprises there. Mane leaves probably at behest of his agent who wants to maximise his cut with two years left on a contract rather than one. Saints could have sat that one out I agree but I don't think a half-hearted Mane would have offered us much so it was prudent to sell. Pelle is the wrong side of 30 and may well not fit into the way we will be playing next season and we have a good fee with a profit for him, so win win surely. I am sure the club will not just sit on the funds.

Glad some people on here are not in charge of the club. We are quite different in the way we approach things. Our club does not operate with a fixed mindset which is why the 'football world' in this country don't get us. I see a lot of Team Sky (without galacticos) in us. A growth mindset mentality with an emphasis on marginal gains and attention to detail. That ethos will not be undone in a summer transfer window. Chill!

Not blaming you n particular, but people seem to assume we can compel people to work for SFC when that is just not the way the world works. Plus also ignore that argument when we sign players.

I'm not suggesting we could have kept them either way. If they want out, then they want out. And in some cases it was wise to let them go.

But fact remains we have lost 3 stars - and need replacements in due course.

Wanyama was always off, the writing was on the wall last autumn, no surprises there. Mane leaves probably at behest of his agent who wants to maximise his cut with two years left on a contract rather than one. Saints could have sat that one out I agree but I don't think a half-hearted Mane would have offered us much so it was prudent to sell. Pelle is the wrong side of 30 and may well not fit into the way we will be playing next season and we have a good fee with a profit for him, so win win surely. I am sure the club will not just sit on the funds.

Glad some people on here are not in charge of the club. We are quite different in the way we approach things. Our club does not operate with a fixed mindset which is why the 'football world' in this country don't get us. I see a lot of Team Sky (without galacticos) in us. A growth mindset mentality with an emphasis on marginal gains and attention to detail. That ethos will not be undone in a summer transfer window. Chill!

I get the policy and if it works it's great. Managers and players come and go! We sell, usually at maximum value, and buy players who aren't the same standard- so they meet our budget and we can sell on at a profit if we improve them. You list the players this year but You know VVD, FF & RB won't be here long despite their contract lengths.

It's a great business model. It is however not that exciting as a fan..selling your best players every summer, watching a new one develop then watching him at his prime at another club! Wouldn't it be good just once to have a marque signing? You know someone that says we won't always just be Liverpools feeder club? Growth is great but everyone else is growing too!

I also think Redmond is Mane's replacement. So I don't expect another incoming forward.

What about Juanmi? He has left, why are you ruling out Redmond being Juanmi's replacement and someone else coming in to replace Mane? People are dismissive of Juanmi's departure due to him not being a regular, but he still featured in 19 matches and the club needed to replace him or lose squad depth of last season.

If the Echo are spot on with this, I have to say, I'm starting to feel concerned for the first time this window.

Not that we are letting Pelle go, but opting not to replace him is a very odd move? JRod has showed no glimpses that he is anywhere near the player he was, Austin has not been able to stay fit, and Gallagher isn't anywhere near good enough (if he was a signing rather than academy people would be slating him).

Equally, I hardly see right back as a priority - it was fine the season just gone and both Cedric and Cuco should be better this year.

Redmond is a great replacement for Juanmi, but for me we will now need a new striker, new winger, new powerful holding midfielder and probably a top AM as well, just to be back at the level we were last season, let alone improve as we have previously.

Not sure where this apparent tightening of the belt chat is coming from but when there is more money than ever in the Prem, this would seem an odd and potentially foolish move.

Caveat - we've been before, we like to do things quietly, let's judge in a few weeks time.

Doesn't stop me starting to worry though

So according to the Telegraph and Echo it would seem that Austin replaces Pelle and Redmond for Mane. I would say that is a slight gamble on both replacements.

Bonkers. We've got more games this year. Do the board not realise? Very very disappointed and a huge gamble. Relegation struggle on the way I fear.

Bonkers. We've got more games this year. Do the board not realise? Very very disappointed and a huge gamble. Relegation struggle on the way I fear.

I can't see relegation on the cards and I am sure we will strengthen as you cannot afford to just sit back and watch others fly by.

#wemelton

That's not correct. The club value investment and the cycle of attraction. Unfortunately it's difficult to see compared to the hard currency of transfers coming into the club.

I can't see relegation on the cards and I am sure we will strengthen as you cannot afford to just sit back and watch others fly by.

But the Telegraph (which correctly predicted Puel and clearly has the clubs ear) say we aren't going to.

Also, all the noises out of the club say we are focusing on youth. Very worrying with our extra commitments. All sounds a bit Jan Poortveilt at the moment if I'm honest. Hope I'm wrong.

But the Telegraph (which correctly predicted Puel and clearly has the clubs ear) say we aren't going to.

Also, all the noises out of the club say we are focusing on youth. Very worrying with our extra commitments. All sounds a bit Jan Poortveilt at the moment if I'm honest. Hope I'm wrong.

Or it could be a bit "you never win anything with kids".

It's still very early anyway - Euros aren't even over yet. Lets see what position we're in come the first game of the season. (Even then we might not know for sure...wasn't Mane signed after the first game?)

It's still very early anyway - Euros aren't even over yet. Lets see what position we're in come the first game of the season. (Even then we might not know for sure...wasn't Mane signed after the first game?)

Will believe it when I see it. We didn't exactly set the youth leagues on fire last year and our last manager had zero faith in any of them bar those who were already in the first team. Either way, it's a pretty big risk for a top six club and not a risk that any other top half club would be willing to take. Hope it's not a case of us believeing our own hype.

Will believe it when I see it. We didn't exactly set the youth leagues on fire last year and our last manager had zero faith in any of them bar those who were already in the first team. Either way, it's a pretty big risk for a top six club and not a risk that any other top half club would be willing to take. Hope it's not a case of us believeing our own hype.

We don't even know that's what's happening. I for one am almost 100% sure we're signing more than two players this transfer window. I reckon we'll end up seeing four match day squad players brought in (if Pelle leaves). Three if not.

We don't even know that's what's happening. I for one am almost 100% sure we're signing more than two players this transfer window. I reckon we'll end up seeing four match day squad players brought in (if Pelle leaves). Three if not.

Not what the Telegraph and Jeremy Wilson say though and they've got everything spot on so far this summer.

Mane was signed out of nowhere on deadline day at the end of meltdown summer. Barely a link before.

I still think we need to bring in a replacement big man up top (Bas Dost possibly) in case Austin gets injured a lot once again, also I really REALLY hope Redmond is not the replacement for Mane.

Redmond is a decent player, bags of potential and could be amazing, but he's not in the same league as Mane in my opinion, we need to bring in someone of Mane's calibre to replace him.

I still think we need to bring in a replacement big man up top (Bas Dost possibly) in case Austin gets injured a lot once again, also I really REALLY hope Redmond is not the replacement for Mane.

Redmond is a decent player, bags of potential and could be amazing, but he's not in the same league as Mane in my opinion, we need to bring in someone of Mane's calibre to replace him.

What league did you think Mané was in when we signed him? Was Mané "of Mané's calibre" when we signed him?

Our recruitment has been pretty good, and if the club believe that Redmond fits the bill, then they deserve the respect of the fans, and Redmond deserves the time to deliver on his clear potential.

None of the 3 leaving are big surprises, but to lose yet another 3 very important players at the same time AGAIN is a major blow.

To lose your two top goal scorers over the last 2 seasons, and also 2 of the top 3 in assists as well plus a key midfielder would be a severe blow to any team .... not to mention losing the manager in two of those season

to lose so many key players 3 seasons in a row, not to mention losing the manager in two of those seasons may be a blow to hard to recover from.

If it was a Boxing Match I'm sure the Ref would have stopped it by now, but somehow we keep coming back stronger ..... can we do it again?

I know it is said every year, but I can't see us being as strong this coming season as last.

To replace those 3 players is a massive ask.

My only disappointment would be if we don't at least give it a good go; plenty of money available, European football, established club now in the upper sections of the Prem - no excuse for not being in the market for some real quality. Just over a month til first game, hope we got the ball rolling soon.

Do they have big question marks over them? Or is that just you having a melt? Do you think you are more qualified than the club and it's professionals to pass judgment?

To be fair, they do (to fans) until they prove otherwise. JRod has pretty much been out of the firing line for two years now.

No, was Austin?

I wasn't the one starting Pelle ahead of Austin. Our style of play in the run in didn't require either of them. Austin was bought in Jan to replace Pelle. Either provides a decent option for t eh bench if we play the same way as we did at the end of 2015/16. We're well placed.

I wasn't the one starting Pelle ahead of Austin. Our style of play in the run in didn't require either of them. Austin was bought in Jan to replace Pelle. Either provides a decent option for t eh bench if we play the same way as we did at the end of 2015/16. We're well placed.

You've completely lost me I'm afraid. Not sure what your point is.

Edited by Sour Mash

cannot see the league being as poor as it was last season. No way

None of the 3 leaving are big surprises, but to lose yet another 3 very important players at the same time AGAIN is a major blow.

To lose your two top goal scorers over the last 2 seasons, and also 2 of the top 3 in assists as well plus a key midfielder would be a severe blow to any team .... not to mention losing the manager in two of those season

to lose so many key players 3 seasons in a row, not to mention losing the manager in two of those seasons may be a blow to hard to recover from.

If it was a Boxing Match I'm sure the Ref would have stopped it by now, but somehow we keep coming back stronger ..... can we do it again?

NO not imo

unless Puel has the ba**s to stand up to uncle les

BREAKING NEWS

Some breaking news coming from Southampton and Sky sources understand that Graziano Pelle is set to sign for a Chinese Super League side Shandong Luneng in a £13m deal next week.

Shandong have just completed the signing of Pa**** Cisse......wonder if that will mean they still want Pelle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some of you need to go away and have good cry...it will make you feel better..

Why are the club not given a chance to do the right thing before its all "terrible" and the world is going to end..

Puel has not been here long, give him a chance FFS....

I really hope the writer of that complete piece of crap is not a SAints fan.

I'm tempted to reply why this idiot is soooo wrong on every level but i'm getting very tired of the continual ******** being spouted by so many ill informed morons out there.

god that article really was a dumpster fire. normally I can leave idiots alone, but i really did have to fire off a couple angry tweets, one American to another. I think we actually have a mutual friend, too, or at least, Twitter thinks we do.

Fansided is one of those "anyone can post content!" sites basically, it's close to the bottom of the barrel as far as American sports web presences. He might get $2.50 to $10 an article if he's fortunate, but lots of their content is freebies for people who think they are working toward a real job in the press, god bless them each and every one.

Do they have big question marks over them? Or is that just you having a melt? Do you think you are more qualified than the club and it's professionals to pass judgment?

Read their appearance figures in the second half of the season. Moreover, can you remind us again of how many games Jay has played in the last 18 months? I'm a huge fan of Jay's but we don't know yet if he can get back to his former levels.

My point was predicated on perhaps Puel not having experienced the English top flight yet and the intensity and physical pressures it places on strikers. This is especially true if he wants to introduce a pressing game. Puel is a more experienced football manager - my management career is in another field - butI have been watching Saints since 1983 so I know a little bit about English football thanks. Not aa much as Reed and co granted but enough to make sensible comment.

As for your immature 'melt' comment, have a look at my previous posts - I've been consistently supportive of the Board and owners since the takeover. Moreover, I have a 5 hour round trip for home games, easy to have a pop when you live nearby. For the record, I'm very happy overall and wouldn't swap our set up for an but do have a concern IF we don't replace Pelle and that's only because of the EL group stages.