Pelle Set to Leave For China - Telegraph

Guided Missile

No, most people were pretty happy with Rasiak and were a bit miffed when Burley dropped him.

It was very much like this situation plenty of users supported him and plenty slated him. Pelle gets some unfair criticism basically because he's not as good as a 30million pound centre forward!

Pelle looked every inch a traditional no 9 last night! Good movement, great hold up play and not afraid to miss! Shame he is hit or miss for us

All strikers are hit and miss to some extent - look at Lukaku's performance last night... and he's meant to be worth £65m!!

Overall, Pelle's done a great job for Saints in the last 2 years and still looks like he's got at least a couple of good years in him. We should only let him go if we can get an equal or better replacement - and that doesn't mean hoping that Austin and/or Rodriguez get fit!

Especially as, and this is the crucial bit, he doesn't want to leave and we have a player who WANTS to stay ... !

Do we know this for sure? Frankly I'm not sure I believe a single thing any player/manager says any more. If he's offered more money elsewhere he'll probably be threatening to go on strike to get away

Do we know this for sure? Frankly I'm not sure I believe a single thing any player/manager says any more. If he's offered more money elsewhere he'll probably be threatening to go on strike to get away

If you knew what he was offered in the January transfer window by a Chinese team, you wouldn't be saying that. Let's just say the annual salary (plus a 4yr contract) puts Koeman's Everton salary in the shade. By a LONG way.

If he was solely about money, he wouldn't still be with us, that's for sure. He feels he has at least 2 good seasons in the Premier League left in him and wants to stay in this league (not return to Italy, as keeps being suggested).

If you knew what he was offered in the January transfer window by a Chinese team, you wouldn't be saying that. Let's just say the annual salary (plus a 4yr contract) puts Koeman's Everton salary in the shade. By a LONG way.

If he was solely about money, he wouldn't still be with us, that's for sure. He feels he has at least 2 good seasons in the Premier League left in him and wants to stay in this league (not return to Italy, as keeps being suggested).

:thumbup:

I for one, want to keep him around, even with his little strops when someone doesn't pass to him :lol:

Not many players want to remain loyal to a club, we should keep those that want to be and still have something to offer, a no-brainer for me.

In this case we would be bonkers to let him go to a PL rival.

He feels he has at least 2 good seasons in the Premier League left in him and wants to stay in this league (not return to Italy, as keeps being suggested).

I don't see any drop off in sharpness this season, nor any reason he can't continue doing what he has been doing for two more seasons. Yes he goes through periods when things don't go well, but he leads the line well and offers a good alternative to the pace of Long.

I worry about Austin's fitness, so allowing him to leave would be a slight gamble IMO. With no genuine young striker coming through it must be worthwhile us keeping Pelle at SMS.

PELLE ATTRACTING ATTENTION

Following his goalscoring exploits in Italy's Euro 2016 opening-round victory against Belgium, speculation surrounding Southampton striker Graziano Pelle has grown.

Juventus are long-term suitors for the Saints forward but, following Italy's victory in Lyon, AC Milan are now also thought to be chasing Pelle.

But could the 30-year-old remain in the Premier League? Well, Sky Sport Italy claim West Ham and Everton, now managed by former Saints boss Ronald Koeman, have been alerted to the Italian.

Still not sure where this 'Pelle does not have a good personal relationship with Koeman' idea comes from. Yesterday after his goal he even explicitly thanked Koeman on Dutch television for all he's done for him.

But that was when he knew that Ron was going.

Hmm, Ocean Village has changed a lot since I was last there.

Pelle looked every inch a traditional no 9 last night! Good movement, great hold up play and not afraid to miss! Shame he is hit or miss for us

Tbf he was generally given more space to score by Belgium than he usually has had against tight Premier League defences. But he certainly played brilliantly last night. We gotta keep him.

But that was when he knew that Ron was going.

Hmm, Ocean Village has changed a lot since I was last there.

The pic of her derriere on the balcony and the video below it were definitely taken in Dubai, not far from @dubaisaints haunt is.

Dammit how did we not get an invite!!

The pic of her derriere on the balcony and the video below it were definitely taken in Dubai, not far from @dubaisaints haunt is.

Dammit how did we not get an invite!!

Daily star reporting Pelle to Chelsea with bookies making the statement it's happening!.

Pelle best striker in the Euros? Now to see Fonte best defender in the Euros tomorrow! Pelle = Saints legend. Please Les, don't sell him. It's not only about the money.

to contrast his good performance the other night, he was woeful today

• 2 weeks later...

After watching him last night we really shouldn't sell him. Brings other options, was interesting that whilst Italy didn't lump it to them they always had that extra out ball to him to keep Spain guessing. He just bullied Pique and Ramos on quite a few occasions and brought people into play so often.

He was fantastic...the spanish centre backs got a right going over..

Pelle is and has always been a great asset for Saints. I don't understand his critics at all. Its how you use him and how you pace him that counts ~ and who you use him against. Quite clearly he needs resting as he cannot do three matches in a week at full gas but that's why we have Charlie Austin in particular. At his best, when used correctly, he is world class unplayable - as Real Madrid and Barcelona centre backs Ramos and Pique found out last night. His combination play with the skilful fleet footed Eder was VERY encouraging for any Saints fan to see. For Eder substitute Shane Long Or Jay Rod or Nathan Redmond or Tadic and you can see how that could be an effective pairing next season, IF we want or need to play that way.

It may well suit us to play more mobile forwards in some matches though - and we can also play that way as the latter part of last season showed - and very effectively too. Mane going reduces that so i hope Redmond or a resurgent Jay rod or a n other can fit in that gap playing with Shane up top.

This augurs well for the new manager as we have got the personnel in the squad to show this flexibility in how we set up our offensive line up. Some clubs are one dimensional but at Saints we have got multiple ways to set up our attack ~ for as long as we keep Pelle with us. Lose Pelle and we do not have a like for like replacement with his qualities. So, I would be very sorry to see Pelle leave if it meant we reduced our attacking flexibility.

Put it this way - France have Giroud, Germany have Gomez, Belgium have Lukaku and Italy have Pelle - what's the common denominator that sets them apart from Wales, Poland, Portugal, Iceland (!) - that these are probably the four best teams left in the tournament and all, despite being very much "footballing" teams, have a big front guy n the squad who usually starts and who has strong technical skills to bring his (more?) skillful more mobile colleagues into play in dangerous areas.

Pelle is and has always been a great asset for Saints. I don't understand his critics at all. Its how you use him and how you pace him that counts ~ and who you use him against. Quite clearly he needs resting as he cannot do three matches in a week at full gas but that's why we have Charlie Austin in particular. At his best, when used correctly, he is world class unplayable - as Real Madrid and Barcelona centre backs Ramos and Pique found out last night. His combination play with the skilful fleet footed Eder was VERY encouraging for any Saints fan to see. For Eder substitute Shane Long Or Jay Rod or Nathan Redmond or Tadic and you can see how that could be an effective pairing next season, IF we want or need to play that way.

It may well suit us to play more mobile forwards in some matches though - and we can also play that way as the latter part of last season showed - and very effectively too. Mane going reduces that so i hope Redmond or a resurgent Jay rod or a n other can fit in that gap playing with Shane up top.

This augurs well for the new manager as we have got the personnel in the squad to show this flexibility in how we set up our offensive line up. Some clubs are one dimensional but at Saints we have got multiple ways to set up our attack ~ for as long as we keep Pelle with us. Lose Pelle and we do not have a like for like replacement with his qualities. So, I would be very sorry to see Pelle leave if it meant we reduced our attacking flexibility.

Put it this way - France have Giroud, Germany have Gomez, Belgium have Lukaku and Italy have Pelle - what's the common denominator that sets them apart from Wales, Poland, Portugal, Iceland (!) - that these are probably the four best teams left in the tournament and all, despite being very much "footballing" teams, have a big front guy n the squad who usually starts and who has strong technical skills to bring his (more?) skillful more mobile colleagues into play in dangerous areas.

Far far too sensible/knowledgeable a post for this place.

I'd be happy for Pelle to stay (why wouldn't anyone be?) he is a very good CF on his day. Looking at from the clubs point of view though he isn't getting any younger and has one year on his contract left. He is probably looking for one more good contract before the twilight of his career but I'm not sure that saints will feel that he is worth it so I can see him moving on but I'd be more than happy if he stayed though.

It would be a surprise if Southampton let Pelle go after such a performance at the Euros. I'd like to think there will be a new contract waiting for him when he gets back. What a buy he's proved to be for £8m, Compare his return on that fee to the £49m that Man City paid for Sterling.

Is Redmond more of a winger than an out-and-out striker? If so, he (& Tadic) would be better than Mane at feeding Pelle/JRod/Austin + whoever comes in to replace Mane.

Hopefully Pelle will stay for at least one more season, high on his Euro performances.

I love the comparison with Sterling! :D

Especially as, and this is the crucial bit, he doesn't want to leave and we have a player who WANTS to stay ... !

These matters always have context. It was said when everything here was rosy and the idea of RK and others leaving was never even mooted. It's a different ball-game now, Conte has extracted more from Graziano than our coaches ever did and a possible move to Chelsea might even be on the cards. It is if you will a modern day Lambert story, an unknown from the lower echelons of the Italian league turned into an international at Saints but with a different ending.

I want him to stay but doubt he will with the current mood in the camp, exodus of the big rats and an unknown manager. What's to stay for from his point of view... oh and he is now playing in a 'foreign' country.

These matters always have context. It was said when everything here was rosy and the idea of RK and others leaving was never even mooted. It's a different ball-game now, Conte has extracted more from Graziano than our coaches ever did and a possible move to Chelsea might even be on the cards. It is if you will a modern day Lambert story, an unknown from the lower echelons of the Italian league turned into an international at Saints but with a different ending.

I want him to stay but doubt he will with the current mood in the camp, exodus of the big rats and an unknown manager. What's to stay for from his point of view... oh and he is now playing in a 'foreign' country.

Well that was a fairly modern day story too though.

London would be very appealing to him, I'm sure!

I wouldn't begrudge him a move back to Italy, especially to Juventus (and doubt the club could stop him) but if that wasn't on the cards I'd offer him a new contract and certainly try to prevent him going to Stoke or Everton.

The more we can do to sell our players outside the prem the better IMO.