Pelle Set to Leave For China - Telegraph

Guided Missile

I like him and would be happy for him to stay. I guess the one year left on his contract and his as age make things a bit tricky though. He'd probably like one last decent contract before the twilight of his career. I'm pretty sure he'd be happy to stay saints with the right contract but I doubt the club so to much value in giving him another 3-4 year contract.

He would in all likelihood be second choice next season behind Long, and depending on who else arrives, but certainly not fourth.

Hard to make a case for him to be behind Austin unless he got fit and recaptured his QPR form, and certainly JRod, who I have doubts about whether he can ever really get back to where he was

Although we didnt think Koeman would - would Pelle (Italy's starting striker at the Euros) sacrifice a top 6 prem team in Europa league to join Stoke or Everton? I think he might unfortunately leave, but surely back to Italy or at least to another Europa / Champions League team

Possibly for the same reason Koeman did.

When we say "leave on a free" - isn't there a chance, if we keep him until the contract end, we can re-sign him 'on a free' (on admittedly a better wage packet) depending on how well he/we do next season?

Does that ever happen? Where we see how well a player/club does and then offer them a deal once out of contract?

Sorry if that's a stupid Q

Happens all the time in the lower leagues. Carlton Cole also did exactly that for West Ham a couple of years back. The issue is usually that someone else will sign them and because they're out of contract the player can add a chunk to their wages by including an amount to offset the transfer fee that wasn't paid, rather than just getting a similar deal where they already are, so the player is better off going somewhere else. Especially this summer, with the wage ceiling and expectations being reevaluated.

If the club has had a look at the stats and decided to change things gpo back to how Poch played and looking at Perreira - high pressing not really done under Koeman then Pelle isn't suited to that.

As Blackmore tweeted this morning - over 30, one year left on contract, has an iffy knee that may get worse its the right time to sell. As long as replaced with same quality then fine.

Because he'd be behind Long, Austin and Rodriguez (with the assumption that J Rod is fit next season).

Massive assumption to make. At no point ever, even when everyone has been fit (rarely), has Pelle been behind Austin and Rodriguez.

Wasn't there talk that the club were unhappy Koeman wasn't playing the Saints formation (4-3-3). Long isn't as effective out wide, can't see Austin or Pelle playing wide. That's 3 players for 1 spot. At least JRod can play the wide role.

Wasn't there talk that the club were unhappy Koeman wasn't playing the Saints formation (4-3-3). Long isn't as effective out wide, can't see Austin or Pelle playing wide. That's 3 players for 1 spot. At least JRod can play the wide role.

I'd like to think the club wouldn't impose a formation on a manager.

I think it comes down to the Senior team all the way down to U12 playing the same formation and style creating the "pathway" for players to come through.

.....take another look at " the Southampton Way " documentary on You Tube.

Les Reed specifically said that Academy players are trained in the same 4-3-3 set-up as the first team, and we employ managers who like that formation..

......the idea being that any youngster coming into the first team knows exactly how we play, and can fit in easier.

Of course, we occasionally change formation to suit specific opponents and /or injury crises, but the basic set-up is always 4-3-3.

Edited by david in sweden

.....take another look at " the Southampton Way " documentary on You Tube.

Les Reed specifically said that Academy players are trained in the same 4-3-3 set-up as the first team, and we employ managers who like that formation..

......the idea being that any youngster coming into the first team knows exactly how we play, and can fit in easier.

Of course, we occasionally change formation to suit specific opponents and /or injury crises, but the basic set-up is always 4-3-3.

Well the u21's dont play that formation we played just Barnes or Seager up top with Hesketh behind. I watched the u15's and 16s start of season and none of those played 4-3-3.

Have you missed the entire Southampton Way ethos from the last 6 years?

No I'm well aware of Les's sound bites but you can't set the first team formation in stone the manager needs to be able to play to suit the players he has available and the opposition not forced to play a rigid system.

THIS!

I don't think that many fans would be too disappointed if he left either, which is even more astonishing!

Says allot about Saints rise (and a bit about the decline in the Italian national team!)

I do rate Pelle, he gets allot of stick because he's not very flamboyant but he's a solid player and i'd be sad to see him go.

His hair is very flamboyant.

Haven't they said that nobody would be sold without the consent of the new manager ?

They said that our transfer business had been put on hold by Koeman's departure, in the Echo I believe.

Juanmi didn't want to be here and his return to Spain had been on the cards a pretty long time, I'm sure.

it is amazing how foolish some fans are. Pelle's scoring record is worth 15m to us as a forward. I feel that if he played at another club fans on here would be champing at the bit to buy him. Be careful what you wish for IMo as i believe Austin and Jay cant berelied on to play let alone score enough goals

No one quite splits opinion like Pelle! Even me, I feel split!

Can be a frustrating player to watch. Very static, slow, moaner and stupid back heels and flicks.

On his day unplayable and a good finisher. Getting rid would be a gamble as will score 10-15 goals a season.

I would probably let him run down his deal unless we get a offer $10mil + and have a clearly superior and younger player ready to step in. However he will be at peak value right about now....

We got the best out of Pelle at this level, exactly the same as we did with Lambo. It's probably the right time for him to move on, he'll only get less effective from here on in.

If Everton do want him, then I'm not entirely sure what direction they're going in.

No one quite splits opinion like Pelle! Even me, I feel split!

Can be a frustrating player to watch. Very static, slow, moaner and stupid back heels and flicks.

On his day unplayable and a good finisher. Getting rid would be a gamble as will score 10-15 goals a season.

I would probably let him run down his deal unless we get a offer $10mil + and have a clearly superior and younger player ready to step in. However he will be at peak value right about now....

I think Long starting every game would score more...

He would in all likelihood be second choice next season behind Long, and depending on who else arrives, but certainly not fourth.

Hard to make a case for him to be behind Austin unless he got fit and recaptured his QPR form, and certainly JRod, who I have doubts about whether he can ever really get back to where he was

Agreed. If Pelle goes we need another first team contender in. With Austin the likely best outcome is a disjointed stop-start season and, as much as I hope to be proved wrong, I don't think JRod will ever be a serious option again.

When we say "leave on a free" - isn't there a chance, if we keep him until the contract end, we can re-sign him 'on a free' (on admittedly a better wage packet) depending on how well he/we do next season?

Does that ever happen? Where we see how well a player/club does and then offer them a deal once out of contract?

Sorry if that's a stupid Q

The suggestion is that Pelle doesn't want to sign a new deal with us for whatever reason.

Please let everton buy him. A proper static, statue of liberty type of forward

I would be happy to see him go. Did you hear the one about the bloke who lamented that "the last time he was inside a woman was when he visited the statue of liberty".

If Leicesyer have offered 2 for the Watford forward then we should get 15m minimum for Pelle if we let him go.

not every forward needs to be super mobile, you just need someone lively around him. Pelle is an intelligent player who makes knockdown a and passes for others. He also scored goals, how many points did his goals get us last season?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/522000/Graziano-Pelle-Ronald-Koeman-Everton-Transfer-News-Signing-Rumour-Gossip-Latest

Love this....

Koeman, 53, is edging closer to a Merseyside arrival after the Toffees agreed a compensation deal with Southampton thought to be worth £5m, Sky Sports claim.

And the Dutchman is clearly wasting no time after identifying Pelle as a potential new signing, according to The Sun newspaper.

Everton face stiff competition from Stoke and Juventus, who are also interested in signing Pelle, The Sun claim.

...the Daily Star get rumours from Sky and the Sun and cobble together an article. Now it may well turn out to be true, but so many pieces in publications say according to [another publication] to base their story on.

One thing that I have always wondered about. Is Pelle a popular character? I look at him on the pitch and he is always moaning and berating his team mates, especially when he doesn't get passed the ball. That would send me mad and want to tell him to STFU. Maybe it is an Italian thing.