Pelle Set to Leave For China - Telegraph

Guided Missile

No way always injured and Pelle holds ball up much better.

Pelle has some strengths but one of them has evidently not been 'holding the ball up' ....

When he starts against certain opposition we are very predictable and he is easy to mark when he does his statuesque back to goal routine....

Has scored some good goals when he feels bright and most importantly energetic....

On balance would keep him but coach him not to continually face his own goal and cut out the 'flicks' which Koeman is starting to do with him I think ....

Not saying he won't come good; but as yet not seen much of Austin's link-up play and work outside the box. Pelle is a known quantity.

It's also possible to predict when he's going to have some joy. Yesterday was set up for him, with Mariappa, a fullback playing out of position as CB (who was there to be bullied), Delaney's natural lack of mobility (which meant Pelle could come deep for the ball without too much pressure) and Speroni's misreading of crosses.

Edited by shurlock

Pelle has some strengths but one of them has evidently not been 'holding the ball up' ....

When he starts against certain opposition we are very predictable and he is easy to mark when he does his statuesque back to goal routine....

Has scored some good goals when he feels bright and most importantly energetic....

On balance would keep him but coach him not to continually face his own goal and cut out the 'flicks' which Koeman is starting to do with him I think ....

Oh Chrissy boy, you do talk some garbage at times....did you watch yesterday at all....any many other game to be fair...

Don't you DARE say anything bad about Pelle!!! :lol:

.....as Pelle had deliberately avoided signing an extension..one might think that he really isn't looking to stay longer.....

With one year left on his contract .....his last big pay day will be a move to Chelsea..... after the Euros.

If Conte is willing to play Pelle in the international side.......why wouldn't he want him in the Chelsea line-up?

Pelle is no stranger to the Prem. and many foreign signings who come from glory in their own country fall by the wayside when they come to England.

After Chelsea's very poor season, Conte has to hit the ground running, as Abrahamovic isn't the most patient man in the football world and has sacked almost every top coach that Chelsea have had in the last 10 years when they fall short of his expectations..

If Chelsea aren't in the top 4 by Christmas ...Conte could be on the slippery slope...he'll use his tried and trusted players, and some Chelsea regulars will out of the door.

Edited by david in sweden

If Conte is willing to play Pelle in the international side.......why wouldn't he want him in the Chelsea line-up?

Id be surprised, however Pelle and Costa leading the Chelsea front line would be an interesting combination, and maybe one that appeals to Conte.

.....as Pelle had deliberately avoided signing an extension..one might think that he really isn't looking to stay longer.....

With one year left on his contract .....his last big pay day will be a move to Chelsea..... after the Euros.

Pelle is no stranger to the Prem. and many foreign signings who come from glory in their own country fall by the wayside when they come to England.

After Chelsea's very poor season, Conte has to hit the ground running, as Abrahamovic isn't the most patient man in the football world and has sacked almost every top coach that Chelsea have had in the last 10 years when they fall short of his expectations..

If Chelsea aren't in the top 4 by Christmas ...Conte could be on the slippery slope...he'll use his tried and trusted players, and some Chelsea regulars will out of the door.

has he? I thought it was more the club not wanting to offer a new contract to a player the wrong side of 30.

He plays Pelle in the international side since he is (one of the) best Italian strikers around. At Chelsea Conte doesn't have to take nationality into consideration. I'd be very surprised if he's off to Chelsea but stranger things have happened.

Nice to see his gesture towards Davis when he scored (even if Davis didn't really seem to want to be the center of attention).

With Pelle, Mane, Wanyama etc, what we need to do is keep them for the beginning of next season. Then, see where we are at January. If top 4 looks likely, they'll want to stay and we'll want to keep them. If not, that would be the right time to sell them if they really insist on leaving. We all have our favourites and scapegoats, but this squad is our best since 1984, so let's keep it together for as long as we possibly can.

Without wishing to be, I am ITK on this one, knowing Italian guys in Winchester who come from Lecce and meet up with Graziano.

Graziano loves being at the Saints. It is more that the club do not necessarily want to renew the contract of someone who will be 32 (?) when it runs out, but get a transfer fee with one year left on his contract this summer.

I'm reasonably sure he'll still be here next season.

At his age, the club has probably written off any resale value from him, so it's all about getting the best out of the latter stage of his career.

It'll be down to form/fitness whether he's offered a new deal, probably a one year extension, and of course down to him whether he wants to stay here in that case.

Can I just check that we're discussing whether to keep Graziano Pelle here or let him go? The same Graziano Pelle that's first choice centre forward for Italy?

in what is described as the worst collection of strikers for their national side in their history

Can't make my mind up on this one, the club might view it as the last chance to get a return on the investment so cash him in particularly if he has a decent run at the euro's and one of Italy's big clubs fancies taking him home. Personally I'd like to see him stay he is different to our other strikers so gives us an option of the bench of if we want to play differently and hopefully next year with the Europa there will be planet of games to keep him busy.

Can I just check that we're discussing whether to keep Graziano Pelle here or let him go? The same Graziano Pelle that's first choice centre forward for Italy?

I think it's an incredible marker of how far we've come rather than a ludicrous suggestion!

He is a keeper for me. I have to say I prefer having long as the loan striker but am happy to have Pelle as an alternative / sub. Interestingly I was really excited about Charlie Austin joining saints but struggle to see where he fits in at the moment. Not sure Pelle and Austin up front works. I was hoping to see a few games with him up front before next season starts to see whether I felt we could afford to see Pelle leave. Think it would be a bit of a risk now particularly if we didn't replace with someone with equal standing.

The problem I have with Pelle is that he goes from star striker to **** striker far to often for my liking. Also when he plays we drop deep and invite opposition on to us which makes me very uncomfortable especially defending the way we have recently. Long pretty much does everything Pelle does but has pace as well. For his height Long is brilliant in the air.

It's not like he's keeping Totti, Vieri, Del Piero, Baggio, Inzaghi and Montella out of the team though.

To me this is more akin to picking Lambert as an example of how far England had fallen a couple of years ago.

Without a doubt keep him. He no longer seems to be the out and out first choice striker; as opposed to last season and the first half of this one, Koeman really didn't seem to want to go with a Mane/Long partnership, but that has changed JRod and Austin to come back but both of them very different to Pelle.

If I was to describle Graziano it would be that he is a lower scoring version of Luca Toni.

I say we keep him and potential see him score the same if not more goals next season as he gets rested a lot more and has more energy where his impact makes a difference.

Think Koeman would want to keep him as well though.

Without a doubt keep him. He no longer seems to be the out and out first choice striker; as opposed to last season and the first half of this one, Koeman really didn't seem to want to go with a Mane/Long partnership, but that has changed JRod and Austin to come back but both of them very different to Pelle.

A factor in whether to 'keep him' will be whether he is happy to stay if he is not getting many starts. Remember that he was dropped from a recent matchday squad for having a poor attitude in training. Team spirit is very important and Koeman will not want sulky people in and around the squad. This is why the likes of Yoshida are so important - good back-up professionals who have a good attitude.

The problem I have with Pelle is that he goes from star striker to **** striker far to often for my liking. Also when he plays we drop deep and invite opposition on to us which makes me very uncomfortable especially defending the way we have recently. Long pretty much does everything Pelle does but has pace as well. For his height Long is brilliant in the air.

Except head the ball on target, at which Pelle is far, far better.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Long. But he misses far too many easy chances for my liking, particularly with his head.

Except head the ball on target, at which Pelle is far, far better.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Long. But he misses far too many easy chances for my liking, particularly with his head.

Yeah but tbh a lot of players that are of his height wouldn't even reach the headers he does.

The bloke is springy.

• 2 weeks later...
Good finish.

He is a top class international striker. That's 5 goals in 12 games for Italy and 23 goals in 68 games for Saints. The top Italian clubs are all going to want him but it would be very hard for us to get a replacement as good.

Fonte and Cedric both got their 10th caps for Portugal tonight too.

Saints players could be some of the stars of the Euros this summer.

If Italy have a good euros with Pelle starting every game (looking like first choice striker at the moment) the big Italian clubs will surely be in for him, as a marquee signing for them too!

Shows how far we've come that our players could potentially be marquee signings for by likes of juventus!!

Fonte and Cedric both got their 10th caps for Portugal tonight too.

Saints players could be some of the stars of the Euros this summer.

Fonte and Cedric both played the full 90 in a 3-0 win, and both looked very composed against a mediocre Norway team. Great burst down the wing by Cedric to set up the 3rd goal

Good goal and when he's on song he's a great striker. Trouble is he goes missing for extended periods during a season which costs us.

If we got a decent offer I think we should let him go.

Someone said on here a few months ago that because he was from southern Italy he goes missing during the winter, plays well in the first few months and the last few months of the season. They actually predicted that soon he will come good as the weather is going to start to pick up and he actually did. When you analyse his goal record and effectiveness for us these past two seasons it actually makes sense :lol:

Should only be looking to let Pelle leave if a better alternative is available.

He is still a key asset for us IMO.

Agreed - they guy's exceptional on form and better than most give him credit for out of form. Always trying to create. His type of striker should still have two/three years left at top level too.

Without wishing to be, I am ITK on this one, knowing Italian guys in Winchester who come from Lecce and meet up with Graziano.

Graziano loves being at the Saints. It is more that the club do not necessarily want to renew the contract of someone who will be 32 (?) when it runs out, but get a transfer fee with one year left on his contract this summer.

OK ...but maybe understandable in view of the fact we also have; Austin, Long, Mane, Rodriguez and Tadic as potential goalscorers.

I'd like to think he'd stay....(wasn't Rickie still with us when he was around 32 ?.)......

However, if Pelle does stay he'll be spending a bit more time on the bench - when everyone else if fighting for a place.

If Italy have a good euros with Pelle starting every game (looking like first choice striker at the moment) the big Italian clubs will surely be in for him, as a marquee signing for them too!

Shows how far we've come that our players could potentially be marquee signings for by likes of juventus!!

Without wishing to unduly neg on your dream I think that this Italian squad will do very well to (a) get out the group and (b) score more than 4 goals in the whole tournament. And its likely Pelle will get just 1 maybe 2 of those. This team simply does not score enough. You never know though- Italy got to the Final of WC 1994 scoring just 6 goals in 6 games so if everyone else is as shot shy maybe the team organisation will be enough. Knowing Conte is off whatever after the Tournament i suspect that its likely Italy will work hard but not progress far.

So, far from a triumphant acclaim of its heroes this Italian squad is as likely to get tomatoes thrown at the plane than applause,and players like Graziano as likely to be booed as to be in big demand from the likes of Juve.

I like Pelle and hope he stays. Best hair in the EPL, a cool classy dude and great player! Collecting £5m for him makes no sense to me. Worth that and much more if he score 8-10 goals next year.

He plays Pelle in the international side since he is (one of the) best Italian strikers around.

At Chelsea Conte doesn't have to take nationality into consideration. I'd be very surprised if he's off to Chelsea but stranger things have happened.

Agreed, but nationalities aside....he must admire Pelle's qualities , and GP does have a reasonable record in the Prem. already. Conte knows Pelle's capabilities......

(and you can be fairly sure that even Mourinho will buy in a few players for MU who he knows from previous clubs).