Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club

JakkoUK

1 hour ago, Singapore Saint said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/14/serious-player-southampton-loanee-produces-yet-another-outstanding-display/

Apparently he's tearing up the league with Rovers. What should we do with him when his loan ends?

I’d like to see him get a move to Doncaster & see where it take him.  Has the talent to player higher but this move has done him the world of good.

Looking good against Gillingham is one thing, but producing regularly in the PL is completely different.

If he came back now he would be 5th choice competing for the two AM positions. Probably wouldn't even make the bench most weeks.

Time to let him go and build a career as a first team player, as his ability deserves.

7 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/14/serious-player-southampton-loanee-produces-yet-another-outstanding-display/

Apparently he's tearing up the league with Rovers. What should we do with him when his loan ends?

As a Saints fan, I would offer to extend his contract. But agree, it looks like he may not make the matchday squads as it stands. In which case, try to recoup/sell for revenue in January. I can't see any advantage to Saints in simply loaning him out again when his contract expires next summer. However, Josh may want to run down his contract, leave for free in the summer and start again.

34 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I've always believed Sims was a Prem player - I'll never understand why someone like Shane Long was given an extra 2 seasons and is now a liability, yet Sims was shunted out on loan despite showing he has the goods from limited opportunities.

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I've always believed Sims was a Prem player - I'll never understand why someone like Shane Long was given an extra 2 seasons and is now a liability, yet Sims was shunted out on loan despite showing he has the goods from limited opportunities.

You make me laugh! Sims has always been a 'Prem player', yet JWP was rubbish.......give me bloody strength

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

You make me laugh! Sims has always been a 'Prem player', yet JWP was rubbish.......give me bloody strength

Settle down Ginge.   Up until a year ago, JWP was not living up to the many chances and opportunities he was given - fair play to him and Ralph, his last 12 months have seen his outfield game improve and narrow the gap on the skill of his dead ball delivery.     Anyway, good to see you're having a laugh...have a good Xmas, all the best.

• Like 1

Sims isn't a PL player, we need to let him leave and develop a career elsewhere. Championship at best I'd imagine, he may make it as a decent lower PL player at some point, but I don't think he's there yet.

If he was going to make it here he'd have made it here already.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, waylander said:

Thought he was injured

9 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Injured 2 games ago, think I heard it was hamstring 

Ah that's a shame, missed that. Cheers both. Wonder if they/we extend his loan, seemed to be doing a good job for them.

12 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea if Sims is prem league or not.

I've seen him be good and seen him go missing in games, but then again Redmond has made a career out of that.

Exactly. Seems a shame not to give him an opportunity to actually see if he can cut it or not. Doubt we will now though. 

He's getting regular game time now and it seems to be doing him some good albeit not at Prem standard.  We probably wouldn't get much for him if we sold him, so I'm just wondering if with Ingsy and Redders suddenly getting injuries, it might be worth calling him back in January as cover. It only needs Stu and Djenepo to pick up injuries (and let's face it - both have been susceptible to injuries) in the next couple of games and our options will look very thin. I'm not saying Josh is a nailed on premier league player, but to me it would be a sensible precaution. 

Ralph has had ample opportunity to watch and coach Sims, if he had a future here he would still be here.

The facts that he is on loan at 24 and we no longer see any value in loaning out players to other clubs simply because they do not play the way Ralph likes to play means in effect he is finished here and we will be looking to offload him as quickly as possible. The gulf between L1 and the PL is huge, impressing in the former means nothing to us.

59 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

He's getting regular game time now and it seems to be doing him some good albeit not at Prem standard.  We probably wouldn't get much for him if we sold him, so I'm just wondering if with Ingsy and Redders suddenly getting injuries, it might be worth calling him back in January as cover. It only needs Stu and Djenepo to pick up injuries (and let's face it - both have been susceptible to injuries) in the next couple of games and our options will look very thin. I'm not saying Josh is a nailed on premier league player, but to me it would be a sensible precaution. 

Not a chance in my opinion, Ralph clearly thinks he jsn't any good, the same with other managers.

Better off giving chances to youngsters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, simo said:

Donny fan I've been speaking to says he's far too good for them and is the best player he's ever seen in a Donny shirt .

He's probably too good for L1.

No better than Championship though, he may make a decent lower half PL player at some point...but I've always thought we should be aiming higher.

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He's probably too good for L1.

No better than Championship though, he may make a decent lower half PL player at some point...but I've always thought we should be aiming higher.

I

I've seen enough of him to place him in the "decent lower half PL player" category" - but I agree the Club should be aiming higher.

On 21/01/2021 at 21:50, SuperSAINT said:

Doncaster Free Press reporting that Doncaster are looking at re-sigining Sims on another loan deal.

His contract is up in the summer so you would think we would be looking to sell.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-working-deals-two-players-3107602

Does it mean we're not getting any money for him?

If Sims is premier league quality how come no other premier league clib have come in for him? 

Various managers have had a look at him at Saints and none have really seen him as a 1st team player. 

I have an idea - lets sell all our squad buy the best players in league one , bank the extra cash and see where we end up.

Edited by IFHP

• Lighthouse changed the title to Josh Sims - Official: Loaned to Doncaster
  • 1 month later...
On 25/03/2021 at 14:04, SuperSAINT said:

That doesn't sound good.

That isn't a run of the mill normal football kind of thing tbf.

Doncaster have done the right thing with this, this is obviously beyond what they'd be comfortable assuming responsibility for.

On 26/03/2021 at 17:55, the saint in winchester said:

Don't they have any qualified medics in the north then?

Oh well, welcome back, Josh. Get your boots on, we need you.

Thing is, that could be neurological.

And if it is, that's way beyond the scope of a football injury and would be a serious concern.

• 5 months later...
Just now, Saint Mikey said:

Still without a club. Strange as he was clearly good enough for Lge 1 at least. Anyone know if this injury is the reason? 

Must be, surely.  Was linked with a few clubs over the summer, so strange how he wasn’t picked up.  I thought he was going to join Sheffield Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Must be, surely.  Was linked with a few clubs over the summer, so strange how he wasn’t picked up.  I thought he was going to join Sheffield Wednesday. 

Just seen your other post, great minds! Yeah, it’s an odd one. Was training with the skates too, I think.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Josh Sims - Official: Released from Club
5 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Just seen your other post, great minds! Yeah, it’s an odd one. Was training with the skates too, I think.

He didn't train with them in the end. Was constantly rumoured between Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton. 

• 2 months later...