Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Yep, I probably read more sensible posts than stupid ones, but the stupid ones stand out and get to you. A bit like life in general I guess.

Blinkered fans are one thing, but half expected, it's the constant barrage from partisan media I can't stand. Not just Liverpool fans either - people like Ian Wright chiming in with ill-thought out opinions. (Though when did Wright have an opinion that was anything but that...?)

Wrights punditry is based on his fixed mindset (sic) and continuing delusion that it's still the early 90s and nothing has changed since in terms of hierarchy and structure [much has changed since]. He's not alone in this, he's just the thickest of the thick.

I do wonder whether this whole saga will be dragged out until deadline day?

I still think it's more likely than not we will sell van Dijk for a huge fee than keep him a la Schneiderlin.

If I am honest, I'm looking forward to Yoshida and Stephens being our first choice pairing. Both players are continuing to improve and they appear to be committed to the cause which actually would be quite nice for our club for a change...

It seems a lifetime ago when Stephens broke into a desperate Argyle team at the age of 16, he was a quality prospect back then. He's had to bide his time, but if he establishes himself as a regular this season I firmly believe we'll be glad the opportunity came his way.

I still think it's more likely than not we will sell van Dijk for a huge fee than keep him a la Schneiderlin.

If I am honest, I'm looking forward to Yoshida and Stephens being our first choice pairing. Both players are continuing to improve and they appear to be committed to the cause which actually would be quite nice for our club for a change...

It seems a lifetime ago when Stephens broke into a desperate Argyle team at the age of 16, he was a quality prospect back then. He's had to bide his time, but if he establishes himself as a regular this season I firmly believe we'll be glad the opportunity came his way.

It's not the fact that Yoshida or Stephens would be first choice that would concern me, more so that Bednarek or Gardos would be their replacements if they happened to get injured or suspended..

Yes, it will, undoubtedly. Even if Les Reed makes a public statement that VVD is 100% staying, we will NOT release him for his contract at ANY price, as sure as night follows day, you can be sure one or more clubs will test us on deadline day evening with an offer. This has 21 days yet to run.

What's wrong with Gardos?

The reason for the question is that is there a possibility that he actually might be OK? He has been injured for pretty much the whole time he has been here and not had a good run out in the squad. He has played in 11 PL games (where we have lost 1 of those) and a few U23 and cup games. Maybe he could actually do a decent job, although having had a bad knee injury, the concern might be that it would reoccur. People have written him off without ever having seen him play a decent string of games. They may be justified in doing so, but then again, they might not be.

That's not what he told me. A family member is also good friends with him and told me he was almost depressed because of his injuries and that WGS used to take the **** out of him in front of the players and he just wanted to play.

Well if he was trying to pull the wool, he'd hardly admit it to friends who would blab it to their family members! It's a shame your family member wasn't also friends with senior medical and Physio staff who were involved in 'treatment' and viewing scan results etc [emoji848]

Here is the most sensible post from the RAWK forum about the van Dijk saga, and even that is disputed by some of their more idiotic fans.

I don't know, but can think of a few things:

- they're grown tired of clubs swooping in for their best players every summer with the expectation they just fold, especially us

- the financial imperative to sell has lifted thanks to TV money

- they want to shake off the reputation of being a 'selling club'

- they don't like the way we went about our business, especially the perception we leaked stuff to try and kill off a bidding war to reduce the fee

- they want to keep Van Dijk for at least another year because he's a damn good player

- he recently signed a new 6 year contract with higher wages and was made captain, making very positive noises about the club

- he's just been injured for half a season, so they expect a bit of loyalty after they've rehabilitated him

- they see us as at the bottom of the next level of clubs, if we underperform and they overperform, we could be fighting over positions at the end of the season

- they think his agent has got into his head, and don't want agents dictating to them

- they think they can reintegrate him back into the squad come Sep 1

- they think they can get the same or more for him in Jan or next summer

Yes, it will, undoubtedly. Even if Les Reed makes a public statement that VVD is 100% staying, we will NOT release him for his contract at ANY price, as sure as night follows day, you can be sure one or more clubs will test us on deadline day evening with an offer. This has 21 days yet to run.

This would be a very risky strategy for other clubs to employ. The closer that the transfer deadline becomes, the more desperate those clubs seeking to buy van Dijk will become. If their 11th hour bids fail, then they risk having a weakened defence until January at the earliest. If they sign a serious alternative to van Dijk before then, they signal to him that they are not serious about signing him, and that his chances of playing for that team as first choice CB are reduced. If the club remains steadfast on their commitment to not selling allegedly at any price, then it would only be a really ludicrous price that might make them reconsider.

The reason for the question is that is there a possibility that he actually might be OK? He has been injured for pretty much the whole time he has been here and not had a good run out in the squad. He has played in 11 PL games (where we have lost 1 of those) and a few U23 and cup games. Maybe he could actually do a decent job, although having had a bad knee injury, the concern might be that it would reoccur. People have written him off without ever having seen him play a decent string of games. They may be justified in doing so, but then again, they might not be.

I'm really not sure about Gardos.

My personal view in the (very few!) games I've seen him play is that he really seems to lack general mobility. But I have no idea if that's his style or down to his injuries. I remember Michael Svensson used to be an absolute beast at corners, he would leap miles above everyone to try and attack the ball. But when he eventually came back from his serious knee injury, I can remember him going up for corners and never attacking them like he used to. Can only imagine he was in a lot of discomfort even though it was incredible that he even made it back.

Liverpool took mane because he scored twice in our famous 3-2 coming back against Liverpool. Now, Liverpool are trying to take VVD because we denied them any victory last season. Should we just let Liverpool win a game against us this year so that they would not unsettle our players again??

Removing ability from the equation entirely, we're talking about a guy who has barely featured in 3 years, namely because he's been injured. The word chronic comes to mind (although I obviously hope he's got for the sake of his career :thumbup:)

Here is the most sensible post from the RAWK forum about the van Dijk saga, and even that is disputed by some of their more idiotic fans.

I don't know, but can think of a few things:

- they're grown tired of clubs swooping in for their best players every summer with the expectation they just fold, especially us

- the financial imperative to sell has lifted thanks to TV money

- they want to shake off the reputation of being a 'selling club'

- they don't like the way we went about our business, especially the perception we leaked stuff to try and kill off a bidding war to reduce the fee

- they want to keep Van Dijk for at least another year because he's a damn good player

- he recently signed a new 6 year contract with higher wages and was made captain, making very positive noises about the club

- he's just been injured for half a season, so they expect a bit of loyalty after they've rehabilitated him

- they see us as at the bottom of the next level of clubs, if we underperform and they overperform, we could be fighting over positions at the end of the season

- they think his agent has got into his head, and don't want agents dictating to them

- they think they can reintegrate him back into the squad come Sep 1

- they think they can get the same or more for him in Jan or next summer

Yes, I agree with nearly all of that.

The latest from RAWK, we are insignificant!

Re: Villain Van Dijk - Blaawklippen Zinfandel. -NO COUTINHO. Approved sauces only.

« Reply #10654 on: Today at 12:17:23 PM »

Quote from: redmark on Today at 12:09:34 PM

The constant buying of their players is what makes their model work. Agreed, it must get slightly annoying when it's us every year.

The 'uproar' is... well, it's Southampton fans. It's like a little kitten. It's not like if it was us, United or Newcastle. It's not even like it's a bunch of Arsenal fans calling 606. It's a couple of forums that will settle down pretty quickly, precisely because they're Southampton fans and this is how their club works. And there's only a few of them.

This is a good point. How long can their board really pretend to be held to ransom by a relatively insignificant fanbase? It suggests they're waiting around hoping for a bidding war rather than anything else.

Liverpool took mane because he scored twice in our famous 3-2 coming back against Liverpool. Now, Liverpool are trying to take VVD because we denied them any victory last season. Should we just let Liverpool win a game against us this year so that they would not unsettle our players again??

Aren't they going for wrong defender? Yoshida played in three of the four games against Liverpool last season VVD only two...

Constantly injured, has the turning circle of the moon and cannot kick a ball with both feet...

Hopefully they'll be after Forster next then after his penalty save.

Has looked woefully short of PL level in any of the games since his injury, including U23 games last season.

Hopefully we will ship him out.

I'm with you on this. Gardos arrived a good international CB. Sure he's been injured but there's no reason why he's now not back to his best. How good that best is we don't really now but we paid good money for him at the time which suggests that we thought highly of him. I'm worried about Bednarek though, he has a long way to go.

We pulled that one with Lovren! They won't be that daft again......
Seems to me Liverpool is ideal place for Double VD.

Clyne - downhill nowhere near as good as here

Lambert - ended his career

Lallana - sicknote

Mane - done well but Milan interested

Lovren - LOL

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why are so many people reading the Liverpool forum and discussing it here? Don't we have enough idiotic fans of our own?

It's as if people are looking to get wound up. Football is partisan so never going to agree.

Funny that people think anyone over there is different to the idiots we have over here.

A new sport it seems.

LFC have more to worry about if they don't get in a decent CB because SFC aren't going to sell VVD to them. If Coutinho goes they might not even be the best team in Liverpool at the end of the season. I wish them the best of luck, out of the Champions league and having to play Thursday nights and Sundays because of the Europa. Big matches for them in the next two weeks could kibosh their season altogether if they don't qualify. It will be interesting if there is still a standoff with Barcelona over Coutinho, as they won't want him cup tied, whether he plays or not will be an indication of the situation with the player. Might not have his head in the right place to play. Best if they keep on waiting for VVD until the end of the window, it would play right into everybody's hands.

Edited by derry

Just came back from evening with matt le tiss. He's obviously very close to club.

-Liverpool sent a message to wrong person, that's how they got found out. Said no way after their apology and that error we will let him go there. Said he thinks he will stay as won't want to not play for a year before World Cup and have to apologise to everyone. Says agent the same one Koeman got before he left the problem.

-last week vvd said he wanted to be reintegrated into training but refused to play matches so that he could put in his statement that he didn't refuse to train. Terrible. Says club making him train at different times to players and different changing rooms. Matty agrees with club stance.

-says club looking to sign two more players.

-kat is going to sell 80% of club apparently. Said he knows she wouldn't sell to anyone to harm it and very confident about future.

Just came back from evening with matt le tiss. He's obviously very close to club.

-Liverpool sent a message to wrong person, that's how they got found out. Said no way after their apology and that error we will let him go there. Said he thinks he will stay as won't want to not play for a year before World Cup and have to apologise to everyone. Says agent the same one Koeman got before he left the problem.

-last week vvd said he wanted to be reintegrated into training but refused to play matches so that he could put in his statement that he didn't refuse to train. Terrible. Says club making him train at different times to players and different changing rooms. Matty agrees with club stance.

-kat is going to sell 80% of club apparently. Said he knows she wouldn't sell to anyone to harm it and very confident about future.

Cheers for the update. Did he mention anything about Lander Holdings?

No one had claimed vvd has refused to train. MP said vvd told him he was not available to play as he had lost focus. From that MP decided that vvd should train alone until he was ready to be integrated back into first team contention.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

No one had claimed vvd has refused to train. MP said vvd told him he was not available to play as he had lost focus. From that MP decided that vvd should train alone until he was ready to be integrated back into

No one said he did he's refused to play which is worse.

No one said he did he's refused to play which is worse.
Yes, he's effectively gone on strike which is extremely unprofessional. They way ex pros especially ex liverpool players are condoning it is shocking. He's essentially lied in that statement as like you say no one has accused him of refusing to train. Conveniently he didn't mention about not wanting to play matches.

Yes, he's effectively gone on strike which is extremely unprofessional. They way ex pros especially ex liverpool players are condoning it is shocking. He's essentially lied in that statement as like you say no one has accused him of refusing to train. Conveniently he didn't mention about not wanting to play matches.

Sickening. You watch if he's hear on 1st sept he will apologise as he won't want to risk missing World Cup.

Thanks that's very interesting. I wonder if the misdialled / missent message was a piece of evidence that the club held back, or if they submitted it to the PL for their investigation back in June.

At the risk of stating the obvious Virgil's press release on Monday was despicable. It still aggravates me three days later.

Tallies up with the rumour I heard that Lallana allegedly/mistakenly sent sexually explicit photos of himself and Lovren to Hugo instead of VVD. Red faces all round.

Interesting article in The Times this morning regarding Danny Rose. Another player who has been out since January, who signed a new contract last year (£65kpw), and now wants out becuase he "knows what he worth". Walker getting a reported £140kpw for City no doubt influenced his thinking. The article goes on to say Watford are paying Andre Gray £95k a week.

The similarities between Saints and Spurs approach to wages and transfer fees is clear, and probably the more sustainable one, though of course Spurs are trying to finance a new ground, and that will, like it did for Arsenal, restrict their player spend.

So the possible consequences of Liverpool's tapping are: -

VVD refused to pay, lost salary, lost opportunities to play world cup,

Saints lost a valuable player, whose value depreciated,

... Liverpool remains hopeful that Saints will surrender and ask for a humilitating bid.

Presumably the person the message was sent to in error has kept it. Puts us very much in the driving seat regarding Liverpool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine so and that its contents were the reason for the apology. Would be fascinated to know what it said, should it somehow be leaked.