Cedric

Romeu

Davis

Hojbjerg

Boufal

Redmond

Long

Subs: Hassen, McQueen, Stephens, JWP, Clasie, Tadic, Gabbiadini

Gardos might be useful against Carroll but I'd be tempted to let Yoshi handle him and then play Bertrand next to him with McQ at left back. It may end up being our best hope so may as well try it as we've only got 2 games pre Wembley. In reality I can't see CP dropping Stephens.

If we didn't trust Stephens he wouldn't have played in the semifinal. He'll start in the final unless he gets injured or completely falls to pieces, and that's the right call too.

EDIT: or, I suppose, if Gardos plays the next two games and really impresses.

Edited by DuncanRG

This has 5-5 written all over it.

Ha ha, that could be a well earned point. And entertaining. But if a team mainly made up of our available second and third choice players can concede five goals against Arsenal then a team with more first choice players should be able to do a little better, we hope.

We should be able to scrape a win. 2-1 (being about the most goals we can expect Saints to score on current form)

Whether Fonte's sale could have been postponed to the close season, I don't know. I expect the club had to consider whether he would have performed to standard or whether his value would have deteriorated but in letting him go, it seemed reasonable to assume that the coaching team were confident in Stephens and/or Gardos stepping into the gap. But then we heard that attempts were made in the window to bring in a loan CB. That seems to raise a valid question as to whether the sale of Fonte was resisted as strongly as it might have been.

The questions are as I see it....

- Was keeping JF at the club detrimental to the dressing room? Who knows? Some murmurings of unrest etc.

- Is a, what turns out to be, Yoshida & Gardos/Stephens partnership weaker than a Yoshida & Fonte partnership? Still a little early to say, but I am sure that tomorrow will show us a bit more.

And while I am on it, we do tend to forget why we signed Gardos for £6m and I think we are getting too blinded by his injuries. They may well prove to have been so serious as to make him not up to scratch, but I do think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. The FA Cup and U23 games aren't really a good yardstick, and pre-injury, what I saw of him was encouraging enough. Again, time will tell and like many, I agree that it does feel a weakness but then I do think that the club deserves to be trusted a bit on this, even if some of the results have been pretty dire.

The questions are as I see it....

- Was keeping JF at the club detrimental to the dressing room? Who knows? Some murmurings of unrest etc.

- Is a, what turns out to be, Yoshida & Gardos/Stephens partnership weaker than a Yoshida & Fonte partnership? Still a little early to say, but I am sure that tomorrow will show us a bit more.

And while I am on it, we do tend to forget why we signed Gardos for £6m and I think we are getting too blinded by his injuries. They may well prove to have been so serious as to make him not up to scratch, but I do think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. The FA Cup and U23 games aren't really a good yardstick, and pre-injury, what I saw of him was encouraging enough. Again, time will tell and like many, I agree that it does feel a weakness but then I do think that the club deserves to be trusted a bit on this, even if some of the results have been pretty dire.

How many players can you name who have come back from nigh-on 2 years out due to injury and immediately performed to a decent PL level?

How long has it taken JRod to start getting back to anywhere near decent form?

How long should we put up with 'dire' results before we stop trusting the club on the CB situation? (Although, the last is a moot point as there not a damn thing we can due about the ineptitude of not bringing in another CB.)

Apparently Bertrand is going to be playing centre back tomorrow?

Casts some doubt over the "Puel has been impressed with Stephens and thinks he is better than anyone we could have signed", doesn't it?

I seriously hope not. He has never played a top flight game as a CB in a back 4. If Puel is sticking with his 4-3-3 he should stick with Stephens. Otherwise he could well just ruin the lad's confidence; effectively reducing our CB options further still. If, however, he has decided to go with a 3-4-3 or 5-3-2..........

Not looking forward to this. Saints have not won on a Saturday all season.

Caroll generally scores against us, so unless we get some debut magic from Gabbiadini it is hard to see us winning this one, although Claude could stun the football world by playing Bertrand as a flase number 5 !

Theres no point play three at the back as Wetspam only play with one CF. I'd love top see (but it wont happen)

Forster

Cedric Yoshi Stephens Betrand

Romeu Hojbjerg

Boufal

Barry Tadic

Shlong

wetsham full backs are hopeless so cedric Barry tadic and Bertrand could have a field day.

No intention to build up West Ham more than they warrant here, after all they were dire on Wednesday, but given our CB issues it's worth remembering that their aerial threat is not only Carroll but also Antonio who has scored a lot of headed goals this season. Expect they might try to isolate our full backs aerially. What we might lose in height by moving Bertrand to CB we would gain in height at full back with McQueen. Nevertheless, My gut feeling is to leave Bertrand at fullback and play Yoshida and one of the other two CB's and concentrate on winning midfield and cutting out the supply.

Would like this formation given the sort of reviews we were getting in sept playing the diamond - https://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/finally-claude-puels-diamond-is-extracting-the-best-from-southamptons-players/comment-page-1

Fraser

Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Oriel

Pierre / Davis or JWP

Boufal

Manolo/JayRod or Redmond or Long

Apparently Bertrand is going to be playing centre back tomorrow?

If he does then that just amplifies the ineptitude of not signing a replacement - there is an argument (although not a great one) that Yoshi, Stephens, Gardos are a good enough combination and enough cover now we dont need to rotate.

But by playing Bertrand he is basically saying they are not good enough and we need to play someone else there

Would like this formation given the sort of reviews we were getting in sept playing the diamond - https://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/finally-claude-puels-diamond-is-extracting-the-best-from-southamptons-players/comment-page-1

Fraser

Cedric Stephens Yoshida Bertrand

Oriel

Pierre / Davis or JWP

Boufal

Manolo/JayRod or Redmond or Long

Had we not finished playing the diamond by then? That review is certainly not how i remember the system (Sunderland home etc).

Forster

Bertrand

Yoshida

Gardos

Cedric

Romeu

Davis

Hojbjerg

Boufal

Redmond

Long

Subs: Hassen, McQueen, Stephens, JWP, Clasie, Tadic, Gabbiadini

Puel said in his pre-match press conference & one-to-one interview with club media that Hassen (although training) may not be ready to be in a matchday squad.

Puel said in his pre-match press conference & one-to-one interview with club media that Hassen (although training) may not be ready to be in a matchday squad.

He's a goalkeeper, he's not running a marathon. He's just got to sit on the bench. Can't be that taxing can it.

What's the forum going to do if Gardos has a good game, that is if he does play? Guess it might be a surprise to some that a £6m Champions League playing international might be any good.

Will say a lot if he cant play in this team if he cant get picked ahead of Bertrand or Stephens.

FWIW, I don't rate Gardos at all. Think we hugely over paid for him at £6m. Would love to be wrong though.

We are going to need at a minimum 3 more wins to stay up. Of our remaining fixtures I'd say only the home games against Wham, Palarse (LOL!), Hull, Bournemouth, and possibly Stoke fall into the "should win" category. A win tomorrow will settle lot of nerves.

We are going to need at a minimum 3 more wins to stay up. Of our remaining fixtures I'd say only the home games against Wham, Palarse (LOL!), Hull, Bournemouth, and possibly Stoke fall into the "should win" category. A win tomorrow will settle lot of nerves.

Football really doesn't work like that though we will no doubt lose games we expect to win and win games we expect to lose. If you think we need three more wins to stay up out of 15 more games I should think you should be pretty relaxed...

Football really doesn't work like that though we will no doubt lose games we expect to win and win games we expect to lose. If you think we need three more wins to stay up out of 15 more games I should think you should be pretty relaxed...

Ok then, l'll relax...

I've decided to do my trick of ensuring a win by trying to avoid the game until five to five. Worked against Leicester. You'll all thank me tomorrow. Also, can't quite bear to think of that defence. Laters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caroll generally scores against us, so unless we get some debut magic from Gabbiadini it is hard to see us winning this one, although Claude could stun the football world by playing Bertrand as a flase number 5 !

The Saturday one is an amazing stat. To be fair though we have only played 7 Saturday games out of 23.

As does Snodgrass

With Boufal playing we have a chance. He's capable of winning it on his own.

Yep - gives such optimism and if stays fit he's going to fly for rest of season think. Exactly what we need when we have come a little pedestrian.

Yep - gives such optimism and if stays fit he's going to fly for rest of season think. Exactly what we need when we have come a little pedestrian.

true, flashes of brilliance so far but with his injuries he's had no real run of games as yet. This could be his time now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Boufal looked very good versus Swansea, best form of defence is attack.

Spot on....with the likes of Boufal (looks a class player) we have to think about scoring more than one goal because our defence is no longer the strength of the side. Looking forward to seeing Gabbiadini get a run out too. C'mon Saints.

Snodgrass will score. Guaranteed. However, puel will work magic with manolo boufal and jay rod ripping em apart. 4-1 saints. #wecandream

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If we see Gabbiadini at all today I would think it would be from off the bench. I'll also be surprised if we see Jay Rod today, think he's still carrying a knock. Looking forward to seeing Boufal blossom now though.

Snodgrass, Antonio and Carroll concern me most for them for various reasons.