Should VVD be sold in January?

Professor

He's only our best defender if he plays to, or close to, his full capacity. I don't think he's been bad since returning, but he's hardly been the colossus we've seen in the past. I don't think we should sell him at a cut price, or to Liverpool at any price, but I'm doubtful how big an asset van Dijk is going to be if we are in a relegation scrap. Is he going to put his body on the line for the team at a crucial moment in a crucial match?

It seems to me that he could be one of the reasons that we may be in a relegation battle as he is just going through the motions and not trying.

I watched him closely during the Leicester match on TV and it seemed pretty obvious, especially with his "shot" on goal!

If you can find a rerun of the game check him out.

It seem to me that people see something in their imagination and to suit their current mood re the team,

personally i see no difference to anyone other player in that things are not right with the team at present.

It seem to me that people see something in their imagination and to suit their current mood re the team,

personally i see no difference to anyone other player in that things are not right with the team at present.

I'm now in the weird situation of having to agree with always- it makes a change when he actually discusses the team rather than bashing people for having a different opinion. Vvd came back from a serious injury and I haven't seen anything from him on the pitch that suggests he isn't really bothering. Like all players they have good abd bad patches of form. I expect the team being weaker than when he was last in it has been a bit demoralising bit as far as on pitch performance I think he's been professional. I'd still sell him in January and use the money to reinforce other areas where we clearly need some extra help.

Personally think VVD is looking worse as the tactics have taken away his ability to stride forward out of defence with the ball. He will now often just play a pass to either wing back. Basically he has become a little less eye catching he hasn't become a worse player. I do however feel sometimes he looks a bit languid which doesn't help the perception of him being a lazy so n so!

I'm now in the weird situation of having to agree with always- it makes a change when he actually discusses the team rather than bashing people for having a different opinion. Vvd came back from a serious injury and I haven't seen anything from him on the pitch that suggests he isn't really bothering. Like all players they have good abd bad patches of form. I expect the team being weaker than when he was last in it has been a bit demoralising bit as far as on pitch performance I think he's been professional. I'd still sell him in January and use the money to reinforce other areas where we clearly need some extra help.

Bit rich hypo when you spend lots of time in the "lets hound Sadoldgit posse" but i think that`s more about you wanting to be popular with some posters and that group in particular.

Anyway back to vvd, we need to reinforce our squad not weaken it further and by selling him we would do just that..

Bit rich hypo when you spend lots of time in the "lets hound Sadoldgit posse" but i think that`s more about you wanting to be popular with some posters and that group in particular.

Anyway back to vvd, we need to reinforce our squad not weaken it further and by selling him we would do just that..

That's a laughable opinion regarding soggy. It's easy to see how he has followed me around the forum for years, mentioning me in posts when I haven't spoken about him at all. Clearly it's something he gets off on but this is going off topic.

We have an adequate defence without vvd, certainly more than enough to keep us up. If selling him allows us to bring in some more attacking quality that we clearly lack then I'd be more than happy to do so, particularly because he will be leaving in the summer anyway.

That's a laughable opinion regarding soggy. It's easy to see how he has followed me around the forum for years, mentioning me in posts when I haven't spoken about him at all. Clearly it's something he gets off on but this is going off topic.

We have an adequate defence without vvd, certainly more than enough to keep us up. If selling him allows us to bring in some more attacking quality that we clearly lack then I'd be more than happy to do so, particularly because he will be leaving in the summer anyway.

No sale until the summer for me..

It would not surprise me if the club sells VVD in January, especially with Pellegrino equivocating in the media when he’s asked about it. The club sold Fonte during the last January window.

We’ll see how he performs on Saturday assuming he’s picked. Against Chelsea I thought that we missed his leadership defensively. He’s good at organizing the defenders around him, and there were times that it looked a little panicky.

As to whether or not he can be arsed to put an effort in, there were some implications in the media that he was dropped for lack of effort but I think Pellegrino also said he was being rested.

Highly unlikely we will spend without selling first .

Although I wouldn't blame Gao for pocketing the money anyway after Les and Kat screwed him on the Saints sale . Our value must be dropping like a stone right now .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

As to whether or not he can be arsed to put an effort in, there were some implications in the media that he was dropped for lack of effort but I think Pellegrino also said he was being rested.

Do centre backs need to be rested? keeper apart, they do the least amount of running. Aside from that, he's hardly played. Sounds like bull**** to me.

Thanks for lumping our opinions together. Do you think van Dijk has been our best player since he's been back? I don't. There may be reasons for it - i.e. recovering from injury, whole team playing poorly, tactics etc, but he isn't currently playing like our best player. That was the only point I was making really, though I should have added, as Hypo says, that it's only worth considering selling if we invest in other important areas. No point spending the second half of the season admiring our bank account. I don't think the questions I am asking are unreasonable, and certainly not the same as saying "van Dijk is going through the motions and is the reason we are in a relegation battle"!

Thanks for lumping our opinions together. Do you think van Dijk has been our best player since he's been back? I don't. There may be reasons for it - i.e. recovering from injury, whole team playing poorly, tactics etc, but he isn't currently playing like our best player. That was the only point I was making really, though I should have added, as Hypo says, that it's only worth considering selling if we invest in other important areas. No point spending the second half of the season admiring our bank account. I don't think the questions I am asking are unreasonable, and certainly not the same as saying "van Dijk is going through the motions and is the reason we are in a relegation battle"!

No offence meant sorry and regarding VVD, no i don`t but also dont think he has been as bad a some make out

No offence meant sorry and regarding VVD, no i don`t but also dont think he has been as bad a some make out

I tend to agree with that. I thought he was excellent against Newcastle (I was at the game) but most people slated him. But is he any better than our other defenders at the moment? And therefore, if Man City offered £50m for Yoshida in January would you take it?

Essentially that's my point - you might say no even to that, because we need all the 'good' players we can get, or maybe you think the scenario is different in that it's only a matter of time before van Dijk starts playing brilliantly again. On the other hand, there is an argument that Yoshida/Hoedt/Stephens can do equally well as a 90%-effort VVD and therefore better to use the money somewhere else in the team.

No sale until the summer for me..
It's a cost benefit analysis. We won't be making any significant signings in my opinion as we aren't flush with cash so I'd rather we sold vvd which would enable us to strengthen. We have a fair amount of depth at cb compared to other positions and I'd rather play the likes of Stephens as he seemed good last season.

Put it this way. Presuming we don't have some sort of injury crisis, I doubt very much that keeping vvd for another six months will be the difference between relegation or survival. I think a much bigger bearing on that outcome will be what attacking players we get in and if selling vvd will allow us to bring in a better calibre of attacking player- as I believe it would do- then for me it is well worth selling him.

Mnf with Carra and Jt doing their best to get Vvds price down I saw !

That analysis was interesting and got at gnawing sense we all have that he's not quite 100%. Not sure about their choice of clips, though: everyone was crap against Leicester and the City goal came after 94 minutes of expert defending led by Van Dijk.

Put it this way. Presuming we don't have some sort of injury crisis, I doubt very much that keeping vvd for another six months will be the difference between relegation or survival. I think a much bigger bearing on that outcome will be what attacking players we get in and if selling vvd will allow us to bring in a better calibre of attacking player- as I believe it would do- then for me it is well worth selling him.

Agreed. We've got the squad to cope without him, even if we play three at the back more regularly. The only concern I'd have is team spirit, mentality etc. We're lacking in that department at the moment and he's our only genuine winner.

If we need to generate funds to finance the needed areas to strengthen, then VVD would be the one to release. We also have other options for CB so it wouldn't weaken it particularly. (yeah yeah, no one else is as good as VVD and all that ..)

Only if we don't need to sell would I want to keep him. But even then, there is a bad apple in the barrel question.

If we need to generate funds to finance the needed areas to strengthen, then VVD would be the one to release. We also have other options for CB so it wouldn't weaken it particularly. (yeah yeah, no one else is as good as VVD and all that ..)

Only if we don't need to sell would I want to keep him. But even then, there is a bad apple in the barrel question.

A fit and charging VVD I agree but the one we have seen this season? Take the money and buy more needed areas but would we trust this manager with any of it?

Back 3 of Hoedt,Yoshida, Stephens with Cedric/Bertand/McQueen is ok with Hojberg, Romeu and Lemina protecting.

Goalkeeper, advanced midfielder that can shoot and pass plus another scoring mobile forward and we should be ok.

Improve on Redmond, Tadic, Davis and Ward-Prowse is vital.

Liverpool just gave up 3 goals in 5 minutes to Arsenal, and the commentators rightly pointed out that they need a CB. They will be all over VVD in 2 weeks.

Just my opinion, but from what I've seen of Liverpool this season (and we get every game shown multiple times here in Oz), if they had signed VVD in the summer, the would be up there with City. If they had played fair with us, that is.

Just my opinion, but from what I've seen of Liverpool this season (and we get every game shown multiple times here in Oz), if they had signed VVD in the summer, the would be up there with City. If they had played fair with us, that is.

I don't think so. Their forward line is up there with City's, but their midfield lacks defensive solidity and although good creatively they're not a patch on de Bruyne and Silva. If you take away Clyne their fullbacks aren't that good and their keeper sucks. They have a massively unbalanced squad with too many quality forwards to keep happy and a lack of options everywhere else on the pitch.

Signing VVD would probably have got them another five or six points but they'd still be miles behind City.

We all thought the same when Liverpool signed Lovren. He turned out to be poor.

Personally, I don't think VVD is world class. He won't make a massive difference to them.

I think at his best he’s one of the world’s finest defenders. He will make a massive difference to Liverpool and I really hope he goes anywhere but there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every VVD story I read seems to be an attempt to convince Saints that they will need to lower their asking price. Call me naive, but my impression was that we weren't looking for a buyer or provided an asking price. If someone wants him they will have to make an offer too good to refuse. In todays market that is a **** load of money. If the likes of LFC cant afford him and City are unwilling to make such an offer that is not our problem.