Oriol Romeu

Shroppie

47 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We did replace him with AMN. He’s just shite, 

Then we're incompetent. Anyone that saw him play in the middle before he signed for us would immediately have known he couldn't play as a holding midfielder. I was bewildered with the comments saying he was the Romeu replacement. He's a completely different player.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu
4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Exactly. That’s what I mean about not replacing him

We replaced him with Lavia… who is a much better player, should OR hsd stayed and RL stayed fit then OR wouldn’t have gotten a sniff

I absolutely cannot blame SR for that. The big issue was signing AMN or not getting rid of Diallo and signing a back up DM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We replaced him with Lavia… who is a much better player, should OR hsd stayed and RL stayed fit then OR wouldn’t have gotten a sniff

I absolutely cannot blame SR for that. The big issue was signing AMN or not getting rid of Diallo and signing a back up DM

how many teenagers, in the their breakthrough premier league season, stay fit and maintain form for much of a season?

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

how many teenagers, in the their breakthrough premier league season, stay fit and maintain form for much of a season?

Probably enough when you consider we had AMN and Diallo behind him, I do agree we possibly needed to have a back up DM somewhere but realistically had Lavia stayed fit then OR wouldn’t of got much of a look in

Romeo was poor last year, too slow for a two man midfield really, hence why plenty of us were asking for an able replacement and we found a great one

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I’d have played Lavia & OR and let Golden Boy go. 

• Like 2

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Probably enough when you consider we had AMN and Diallo behind him, I do agree we possibly needed to have a back up DM somewhere but realistically had Lavia stayed fit then OR wouldn’t of got much of a look in

Romeo was poor last year, too slow for a two man midfield really, hence why plenty of us were asking for an able replacement and we found a great one

But he was never ever going to stay fit and maintain the form.  Rarely does that happen, even with the very best 18 year olds in world football

I'd have Romeu over diallo and AMN, any day of the week. Letting him go, even whilst Lavia was injured, has proven to be ridiculous

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

But he was never ever going to stay fit and maintain the form.  Rarely does that happen, even with the very best 18 year olds in world football

I'd have Romeu over diallo and AMN, any day of the week. Letting him go, even whilst Lavia was injured, has proven to be ridiculous

I don’t think its beyond the realms of possibility that he’d of stayed fit enough to play the majority of games, he hasn’t got a particularly bad injury record

He’s twice the player of Romeu already and OR wanted to go, also got us Edozie and Larios

It obviously looks awful now, because of Lavias long term injury concerns, but like I said, wasn’t like OR was pulling up any trees last year

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I don’t think its beyond the realms of possibility that he’d of stayed fit enough to play the majority of games, he hasn’t got a particularly bad injury record

Do you really think the Chelsea rumours came out of thin air? 

You can bet your life he’s agreed to go there and bet your life his “injury “ record will be poor until he does. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Do you really think the Chelsea rumours came out of thin air? 

You can bet your life he’s agreed to go there and bet your life his “injury “ record will be poor until he does. 

I doubt he’ll be here in 6-9 months time, lads certainly good enough

Not sure how pretending to be injured for 6 months really helps his cause though

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I doubt he’ll be here in 6-9 months time, lads certainly good enough

Not sure how pretending to be injured for 6 months really helps his cause though

I’d be surprised if he’s here at the dnd of January. Been linked with Chelsea for months, is apparently fit, however not been in either squad so far. All sounds very familiar 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’d be surprised if he’s here at the dnd of January. Been linked with Chelsea for months, is apparently fit, however not been in either squad so far. All sounds very familiar 

Ive always hated Chelsea but I have all the more reason to hate them lately especially with Boehly basically playing FM

You’re likely right, lets hope we sting them for north of 50m if possible 

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive always hated Chelsea but I have all the more reason to hate them lately especially with Boehly basically playing FM

You’re likely right, lets hope we sting them for north of 50m if possible 

I think City get 20% sell on, so unless he goes for mental money, we’re never making huge amounts out of the deal. 

• 6 months later...

The club totally underestimated the impact of letting him leave. He's had a positive influence at Griona and for him I really hope he ends up at Barca, it would be fantastic to see him go full circle. Genuinely one of the good guys in football.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The club totally underestimated the impact of letting him leave. He's had a positive influence at Griona and for him I really hope he ends up at Barca, it would be fantastic to see him go full circle. Genuinely one of the good guys in football.

we had fans cheering on his departure. Literally.

• 5 weeks later...

those that keep saying we should not have let OR go are deluded. He wanted to leave, he had had enough of the Premier league very much like tadic. He had served this club very well and it was the right thing to do to let him go. I follow Barca and Spanish football in general and OR has stepped down to where he can still perform. La Liga is a slower tempo, players have much more time on the ball and are not continuously being marked tightly.

He was a great servant to us but he knew his time had come and wanted to go home. Except it.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

those that keep saying we should not have let OR go are deluded. He wanted to leave, he had had enough of the Premier league very much like tadic. He had served this club very well and it was the right thing to do to let him go. I follow Barca and Spanish football in general and OR has stepped down to where he can still perform. La Liga is a slower tempo, players have much more time on the ball and are not continuously being marked tightly.

He was a great servant to us but he knew his time had come and wanted to go home. Except it.

You can also add in the fact that he had moved down the pecking order, he was no longer first choice and he didn’t start any of the last 4 games of the season he was here before his transfer. Can’t blame him in the slightest for moving.

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

You can also add in the fact that he had moved down the pecking order, he was no longer first choice and he didn’t start any of the last 4 games of the season he was here before his transfer. Can’t blame him in the slightest for moving.

That doesn’t alter the OP’s opinion that the transfer was a painfully bad piece of business from a Southampton perspective….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SW5 SAINT said:

That doesn’t alter the OP’s opinion that the transfer was a painfully bad piece of business from a Southampton perspective….

More so as Lavia was injured and expected to be out for a while when he was sold.

Ridiculous transfer, in a year of many ridiculous transfers and decisions by the club

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

More so as Lavia was injured and expected to be out for a while when he was sold.

Ridiculous transfer, in a year of many ridiculous transfers and decisions by the club

I would suspect it was reward for being a good servant to the club. He wanted to return home and it might have soured the dressing room if they had not let him.

2 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

There was nothing wrong with allowing Romeu to leave at all, our problem was Diallo continuing to be crap and AMN being useless in every position he played, including DM.

Nobody ever talks about how ridiculous it was to sell Lallana, Lovren or Shaw, and they were much better players than Rom was in his last season.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

There was nothing wrong with allowing Romeu to leave at all, our problem was Diallo continuing to be crap and AMN being useless in every position he played, including DM.

Nobody ever talks about how ridiculous it was to sell Lallana, Lovren or Shaw, and they were much better players than Rom was in his last season.

The most ridiculous sale was Mane but pundits on this site were only too pleased to see him go

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It was exactly this.. we replaced Romeu with Lavia, and IMO that was exactly the correct thing to do, Lavia’s more dynamic than Romeu and there were signs season before last that he was slowing down, he also wanted to leave and I think it was fair to a player who was a great servant

Our issue was we, as Lighthouse said, believed AMN and Diallo were enough cover and.. tbh.. should Lavia have not got injured we’d of been fine but hindsight is a wonderful thing

Im sure if we held on to Oriol and he sat on the bench there would be a portion of the fans that would bemoan the fact we didn’t respect his wishes

4 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Not sure this is actually true - he said the only club he would leave for was Girona and otherwise saw himself at Saints for the rest of his career

27 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It was exactly this.. we replaced Romeu with Lavia, and IMO that was exactly the correct thing to do, Lavia’s more dynamic than Romeu and there were signs season before last that he was slowing down, he also wanted to leave and I think it was fair to a player who was a great servant

Our issue was we, as Lighthouse said, believed AMN and Diallo were enough cover and.. tbh.. should Lavia have not got injured we’d of been fine but hindsight is a wonderful thing

Im sure if we held on to Oriol and he sat on the bench there would be a portion of the fans that would bemoan the fact we didn’t respect his wishes

It is hardly hindsight about Lavia’s injury when he was already injured before Romeu left.

Edited by AlexLaw76

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It is hardly hindsight about Lavia’s injury when he was already injured before Romeu left.

Lavia got injured in the match on the 30th August and Romeu’s transfer was verified on the 1st September… I think people are being a bit disingenuous here

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Lavia got injured in the match on the 30th August and Romeu’s transfer was verified on the 1st September… I think people are being a bit disingenuous here

Yep. We could have pulled the plug

anyway . Matters not now