Oriol Romeu

Shroppie

49 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Can't blame him, return home on a contract of 3 years which we wouldn't give him. Will be missed.

Girona’s biggest signing this summer has been £3.6m.  The rest are loans and free’s.  So any fee is likely to be pretty nominal, so it’s it’s unlikely to give the transfer kitty a big boost.  Risky if Lavia gets injured 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Feels like a suicidal move to me, especially in this new world of five subs. 

Crazy to let our most experienced and reliable player go on the back of signing and 18 year old.

Unless we are signing Garner it does seem very risky. I’m still not sure what Diallo offers and would rather he was sold to a league which suits him better before OR. It may be that OR has family reasons for wanting to go to Girona of course. 

So it doesn't get lost in all the other transfer threads, it looks like Oriol has/is about to leave us after 7 years.

This transfer has left a bit of a mark on me as I'm a big fan of Oriol. A professional, gave us steel when we needed it. He was originally brought in under Koeman as a squad addition to build us out a bit, over time he developed and under Ralph he made that CM slot his own and he has been amongst the best DM's in this league.

Why is he leaving though given all that? He seems to be physically struggling with the intensity we need to play at. It was so noticeable in the second half of last season that he was struggling to get around the pitch as freely as he used to be able to and that made it difficult for us to compete in the middle as we rely on that mobility.

I'd have liked to have kept Oriol around in the squad as he'd still be an important player for us - but if he wants to go back home to finish his career with security and a longer contract then no one can begrudge him that. He's given us his all and I wish him all the best, thank you Ori!

• Like 25
  • Sad 1

Looking like it's a done deal to Girona then.

Goodbye and thank you Oriol. A true professional and a great character. Signed for a modest sum as a backup player, and became the most important cog in our machine over the last couple of years. When on form he was the beating heart of our team. Looked like the pace of the PL was finally getting too much for him in the second half of last season though, and our collapse in form as a result was no coincidence.

Can't think of a single bad thing anyone could say about him. A club legend.

Adios Ori. Buena suerte!

• Like 11

One of my favourite players from the last six or seven years. Absolutely agree with all the sentiments about him. My lad met him at a Totton game towards the end of last season, he was really happy to have photos taken and chat to him about football. In this day of egos in football, he really made time for the fans. Feels like the end of an era in my Saints supporting cycle.

• Like 5

Absolute model professional, who I'm sure will be missed around the squad, as well as by fans. Not sure I've ever really seen him slated by our fans.  I've loved having him at saints, and it's a shame he's going, but the club has to move forward I guess, and we have slightly changed how we play this season.

• Like 5

Brought in for cheap, absolute bargain. If I remember rightly he had injury issues at Chelsea but he had a good Barcelona pedigree and when Morgan and Wanyama and Cork all left he made the transition to first choice seemlessly. Model Pro and always seemed like a really nice bloke. He will be missed...

...I assume this means we will definitely bring in a CM otherwise we are looking very light on the ground with just JWP, Lavia and Diallo.

10 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Be nice if we can arrange a friendly v Girona at St Mary's next pre-season so that the fans can say thank you properly. 

Brilliant idea.

Better (& cheaper) than my idea that SR should buy Girona so he’s still in the family 🙂

1 hour ago, Saint_lambden said:

Be nice if we can arrange a friendly v Girona at St Mary's next pre-season so that the fans can say thank you properly. 

I wouldn’t mind going to Girona but that wouldn’t suit everybody. I sincerely hope that we can have an opportunity to show our appreciation of him.

• Like 2

What a great player this man was for us, and by all accounts a model professional off the pitch too.

'Mainstay of the midfield' would be an understatement. Really enjoyed watching him in a Saints shirt. Legend.

Sad to see him go; delighted he's got a move to his homeland. I hope he continues to enjoy his football, and perform well for the next few years.

All the very best to you Sir Oriol!

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I really hope the lack of mentioning a fee in the article - it doesn't even say undisclosed - isn't because we've let him go for free.

The rumours y/day was that it was a free transfer, with the sweetener in the deal being us getting Juan and Edozie from City on reduced transfer terms. (Girona are owned by the City group)

Just now, S-Clarke said:

The rumours y/day was that it was a free transfer, with the sweetener in the deal being us getting Juan and Edozie from City on reduced transfer terms. (Girona are owned by the City group)

And the reduced transfer terms probably led to reduced buy back clauses. 

I haven't paid much attention to rumours so don't even know who those two kids are.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

And the reduced transfer terms probably led to reduced buy back clauses. 

I haven't paid much attention to rumours so don't even know who those two kids are.

Juan is a full back, 17 years old I think. Very highly rated, but haven't seen anything of him myself.

Edozie is a tricky wide player, quick and tall. He was close to moving to Leverkusen in July for £10m but held back.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Juan is a full back, 17 years old I think. Very highly rated, but haven't seen anything of him myself.

Edozie is a tricky wide player, quick and tall. He was close to moving to Leverkusen in July for £10m but held back.

Sounds like two good additions then. 

Anyway, thank you Oriol, been a fantastic player for us. Will keep an eye out for how he goes. 

Sad to see him go - but pleased for him as he said he was keen to go when this first came up.  A few players will be relieved at not having to face him when playing us. 

Bona sort Ori

Ps - Saints ...If you cant make the pre season Girona game at SMS - make it early July at theirs so I can  pop along whilst on holiday down the road .

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu - Official: Signs for Girona
5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Brought a tear to my eye! Haven't got this emotional about a player since MLT's testimonal game

I was more emotional after reading Adam Lallana's goodbye message in the daily echo, but that was a different type of emotion.

• Haha 3

Aw man, sad because it’s over but happier because it happened sums it up perfectly for me too.

Always felt like he gave his all, but knew exactly where the line was, booked so many times but never once got sent off for us, must have been a nightmare to play against.

There aren’t many players that have bought into playing for Saints as much as he did;

He’ll be missed, he’s a player whose career I’m always going to keep track of. Maybe we’ll even see him back here in a coaching role one day!

Thank you Oriol.

• Like 1

Top servant, can only wish him all the best at Girona! 

My overriding memory of him is his header in the league cup final. I was behind it and for all the world thought it was in. When it crashed off the woodwork with de Gea beaten all ends up I feared it wasn't to be our day and so it sadly proved.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu