Oriol Romeu

Shroppie

20 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Sad to see him go - but pleased for him as he said he was keen to go when this first came up.  A few players will be relieved at not having to face him when playing us. 

Bona sort Ori

Ps - Saints ...If you cant make the pre season Girona game at SMS - make it early July at theirs so I can  pop along whilst on holiday down the road .

Just about my favourite Saints player.   Gave everything - outstanding at interception, tackling and breaking up play.    Good passer of the ball and never took a backward step.   And by all reports, a very likeable, decent human being.

• Like 1

Just now, austsaint said:

Just about my favourite Saints player.   Gave everything - outstanding at interception, tackling and breaking up play.    Good passer of the ball and never took a backward step.   And by all reports, a very likeable, decent human being.

From Saints perspective this is a bad day and big mistake. Wish Oriol all the best, he has been a great servant to the club. So now we have no Champions League winners in the squad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 31/08/2022 at 11:30, Saint_lambden said:

Be nice if we can arrange a friendly v Girona at St Mary's next pre-season so that the fans can say thank you properly. 

Would love to see us host them for a pre season, would bring in a good gate as well. 

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

Would love to see us host them for a pre season, would bring in a good gate as well. 

Would prefer an away friendly, could see quite a few going over, a few days away in Barca and then give OR a big #saintsy send off at the match.

Top man - been great for SFC.

Sad to see Oriol go, not sure if it's a year too early however assume we have a replacement incoming....

Thank you Oriol... A true Saint and you'll be remembered for a long time. Thank you for your exemplary professionalism, commitment and all round fantastic performances. All the best!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

Mine too. Sad day. Still has a couple of years in him at PL level. 

Like so many others, he quickly became a favourite player and I'm really sad to see him go.

I was happy when we got such a quality player at such a good price in the first place. He may have had to bide his time to get first team opportunities at first, but he was always clearly capable of stepping in, as he did here when we had a few deaprtures.

We always looked at our best when he was the heart beat of our midfield. Particularly in the last couple of seasons. When he wasn't playing, generally the team didn't either. His superb work rate, good tackling and physical presence were assets enough. But his development had also given him techncial skills that not many others in that role would have.

He could still have continued his solid service to us for a couple more years. But the club are looking to move in a different direction, and I'm pleased he's got a good move. I'll be watching out for him to see how he gets on.

A great bloke who loved his time with us and was loved in turn by the fans.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
autocarrot
  • Like 1

Really appreciate his video too, a lot more effort and meaning in that as opposed to those blanket statements you see posted on player’s social media these days

absolute class on and off the pitch, wish him all the best and I’d love to see him return in some capacity in the future.

• Like 1

Absolutely love the guy, with the amount of turnover we’ve had in recent years it’d be easy to become detached, but guys like Ori remind me why I love supporting the club. Gave absolutely everything, a real classy operator with a touch of bite to him. So sad to see him go but glad he’s getting a move he wants. Cheers Ori!

• Like 1

Oriol you will be hugely missed by us all. The seven years service you gave us were the greatest. Class act and a top guy, I wish you all the best in the next chapter in your career back in Spain. Once a Saint always a Saint :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Wow. What a bloke.

Wish they could all leave with that dignity big respect for Oriel! we've had some right divas over the years that have forced a move/refused to play or chucked their toys out the pram! 

One of my favourites, too. There was a conspicuous Oriel-shaped gap when he didn't play, but we're working to address that. What will be much harder to replace is the example he set for those around him. There aren't many class acts in football these days but he was certainly one of them. My hope was that we'd keep him around so that he could take Lavia under his wing and pass on the importance of commitment and lifestyle. But not shooting. 🤣

There aren't many players who have left Saints over the years with as many well-wishes as Oriel will have in his backpack.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Wish they could all leave with that dignity big respect for Oriel! we've had some right divas over the years that have forced a move/refused to play or chucked their toys out the pram! 

Aye, about as different as you could get to a double page spread in the Echo!!

• Like 1

Had his header at Wembley in 2007 been 6 inches lower he would have done down in history as an all time legend. He leaves a true fans favourite, no one can say a bad word about him. Good player brilliant bloke, rare is an era where most players are cocks. I will miss him

Edited by Turkish

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Had his header at Wembley in 2007 been 6 inches lower he would have done down in history as an all time legend. He leaves a true fans favourite, no one can say a bad word about him. Good player brilliant bloke, rare is an era where most players are cocks. I will miss him

2007 ? 🙄.   

But yes, as you say, not just a good player but everyone who has met him says what a great guy he is.  Always has time for the fans, takes nothing for granted. Even on the err .... let's say sometimes critical Saints Web !!!.... he escaped the usual grief over the years that the forum is famous for 🙄.  Unusual in today's football climate but hardly ever heard a negative comment about him. A great farewell video from him.  A Saint through and through. Good luck for the future Oriel.

Edited by 64saint

20 minutes ago, 64saint said:

2007 ? 🙄.   

But yes, as you say, not just a good player but everyone who has met him says what a great guy he is.  Always has time for the fans, takes nothing for granted. Even on the err .... let's say sometimes critical Saints Web !!!.... he escaped the usual grief over the years that the forum is famous for 🙄.  Unusual in today's football climate but hardly ever heard a negative comment about him. A great farewell video from him.  A Saint through and through. Good luck for the future Oriel.

😀 typo 2017 

This is the way it should be..

He leaves as a Saints legend (having been replaced) and still has lots to offer in his homeland, a great deal for all concerned !

He will be welcomed back with open arms and rightly so !

Good luck, Oriel, all the best to you 😇

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nta786 said:

Really appreciate his video too, a lot more effort and meaning in that as opposed to those blanket statements you see posted on player’s social media these days

absolute class on and off the pitch, wish him all the best and I’d love to see him return in some capacity in the future.

He could have stretched to a full page spread in the Echo surely 🙂

Joking aside, all the very best Oriol, a great player, a role model and a gent. So much respect for you as a footballer and as a very decent human being.

Will never forget the semi final at Anfield, he was a beast that night.

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu