Oriol Romeu

Shroppie

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

One of the most ridiculous sales in the last few years.

nah looked like he was running in sand last season. Lavia looks a big upgrade on him already and I doubt OR would have liked to been back up to him, especially with a nice contract waiting back in Spain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Completely disagree.  OR had served us really well but was losing consistency.  When he was good he was great, but that was happening less often.  He wanted to go 'home' and we let him, in the knowledge that Lavia had been brought in to replace him.   That's the sign of good squad management and respect between player and club.

It hasn't always happened as we have seen with the striker situation, but letting OR leave isn't a reason to criticise the club IMO.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, waylander said:

Take a look back at the posts in this thread from April. Plenty of people reckoning his legs had gone.

Correct, he was starting to struggle with the pace on the PL and will of course find it easier to cope in a slower paced and lesser quality league, but facts won`t stop club bashers like this one 

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

…says one of the most ridiculous posters on here.

Reality is he wanted to go and the ‘pathway’ strategy cleared a space which Lavia more than filled. The injury was unlucky, but by then it would have caused some serious disharmony if we’d pulled the plug on Oriol’s deal. And, as Ralph said at the time, that’s not the way we treat loyal club servants. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We miss the muscle in Romeu, yes his legs had gone but it's the leadership in the middle we lack massively.

In a midfield three I think Romeu could've still done a job now, especially given our current form and lack of leaders in the squad.

It's become accepted fact that his legs had gone but was he not just burnt out like the rest of the team after a long season of Ralph ball?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's become accepted fact that his legs had gone but was he not just burnt out like the rest of the team after a long season of Ralph ball?

Probably that. Probably not helped by the high press and just him and JWP in the middle getting overrun every match. Most teams in the Premier League play with three midfielders now.

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It was exactly this, utter nonsense to say his legs had gone. He was playing in a 2 man midfield and playing 90 minutes every week because we had no-one else anywhere nearly good enough to replace him.

• Like 3

I remember something hinted last season, when he was in good form, that he may be looking at new pastures in the near future. I took that to mean that negotiations on a new contract had either broken down, or he was using the statement to push for a better deal. For me, all the wanting to go home stuff came after no new deal came about.

With Lavia such a good prospect I think the club were more than willing to accept offers for Romeu, as they were a number of players as they sought to reduce the wage bill. I got the feeling Lavia wasn't signed to sit on the bench. That might have been made clear to Romeu as a way of incentive to leave. Lavia started really well. But negligent to not have back up. I don't think the club tried to have both in the squad together.

As for his legs having gone, most of the squad should have been moved on then. They nearly all looked like they were shot during that run in. Romeu at least had an excuse as he expended loads of energy in that position. Another reason why proper cover should have considered this season.

A naïve move from the club, focussing too much on their master plan and not enough on what the impact would really be.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Left Back said:

…says one of the most ridiculous posters on here.

Reality is he wanted to go and the ‘pathway’ strategy cleared a space which Lavia more than filled. The injury was unlucky, but by then it would have caused some serious disharmony if we’d pulled the plug on Oriol’s deal. And, as Ralph said at the time, that’s not the way we treat loyal club servants. 

This is only being discussed at all because of Lavia’s injury. Without that we’d all be raving about how much more dynamic our midfield is now, Diallo and AMN would be consigned to the bench and nobody would be entertaining the idea of having a fifth CM on the books.

• Like 1

It would be unrealistic, and possibly counterproductive to expect Lavia to start every game.

Then there are the games, where you'd want an able replacement to bring off the bench. Not just for Lavia either.

Then there are the games when you'd want the option of a three in there, with a combination of the strengths of both.

It was always clear that Diallo wouldn't work in there. Nor does JWP. A number have been clear that it's not AMN either.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This is only being discussed at all because of Lavia’s injury. Without that we’d all be raving about how much more dynamic our midfield is now, Diallo and AMN would be consigned to the bench and nobody would be entertaining the idea of having a fifth CM on the books.

Anyone who thought Lavia was going to play every game is living in cloud cuckoo land. He’s 18 and playing in one of the most combative areas of the pitch. He was always going to get knocks and likely suffer drops in form, just like Tino did. Diallo isn’t anywhere near a replacement and I’m yet to be convinced AMN is either.

So while the injury is unfortunate, it hardly needed Nostradamus to suggest that Lavia could/should be sat out from a number of games through the season.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Anyone who thought Lavia was going to play every game is living in cloud cuckoo land. He’s 18 and playing in one of the most combative areas of the pitch. He was always going to get knocks and likely suffer drops in form, just like Tino did. Diallo isn’t anywhere near a replacement and I’m yet to be convinced AMN is either.

So while the injury is unfortunate, it hardly needed Nostradamus to suggest that Lavia could/should be sat out from a number of games through the season.

Which is why we have AMN and ID as back up. You can say what you like about their performances, we’re not going to find many better willing to sit on our bench and within our price range. We’ve literally replaced Romeu with two players, it’s erroneous to claim we’ve left ourselves short somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It would be unrealistic, and possibly counterproductive to expect Lavia to start every game.

Then there are the games, where you'd want an able replacement to bring off the bench. Not just for Lavia either.

Then there are the games when you'd want the option of a three in there, with a combination of the strengths of both.

It was always clear that Diallo wouldn't work in there. Nor does JWP. A number have been clear that it's not AMN either.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Sorry chaps don’t want to be argumentative but you’re missing my point. Lavia replaced Romeu, and I think we all agree is an upgrade. So compared to last year there were no grounds for keeping Oriol, who didn’t play every game anyway.

in fact getting AMN in on loan has given us one more option at CM than we had last year. 

It’s fair to say we have not upgraded our attacking options but, IMO, we’ve clearly upgraded CB and CM compared to last year. 

It was clear with Lavia's signing that the club had decided he was the preferred holding midfielder option. At Romeu's age, do you think he wanted to sit on the bench most weeks, or get himself a nice move back home. It was a move which undoubtedly suited both parties.

With hindsight given Lavia's injury, yes it would have been nice to have the luxury of a backup player like Romeu to fill in. But you would also have been keeping a player at the club, likely unhappy when he had been offered more game time elsewhere. Hardly one of the most ridiculous sales we've made as has been mentioned.

24 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Madness to expect to keep 2 players happy in a squad game, where they'd both get lots of minutes, with 5 subs allowed, on Premiership wages. I'll be wanting a striker next. I don't know how all those other clubs seem to manage it. 🙂

End of the day he wanted to go back to Spain, think he even said it himself when he left as had a kid recently?

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

My view is similar to both of these. I have said before that I believe Diallo should be further forward. He's a decent player in my opinion, but not a defensive midfielder. I would also give Maitland-Niles a bit longer to settle in; he looked totally out of place for his first couple of games, but looks to be improving. Saints, and I, miss Romeo, but I think it was the right move to let him go this year. NEVER play less than 3 men in midfield! It's the root of our problems, IMO.

• Like 1

Romeu was a brilliant and loyal servant for us, who never gave less than 100%. At his age he deserved whatever move he wanted and it was good to see the club didn't stand in his way. He left with dignity and I am grateful for the years we had him. Of course the Lavia injury has been very unfortunate and AMN has taken a while to get going. For me though, Diallo is not the answer. Lyanco is a bit of a loose cannon, but he does have skill, can put in a tackle and his distribution is as good as Diallo's and I wonder whether he would be an option in that role. Anyway - just thoughts

• Like 4

I miss having a player like OR was from about 2 seasons and before. We are clearly missing this piece now, but current OR is not able to do this anymore so the guy choose to go home and carry on at a level he does think he can continue at. I say fair play to the bloke. It's our problem we haven't been able to cope with the gap.

23 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

When a good, honest man and quality servant to the club sits in front of Martin Semmens and literally cries when explaining how he and his family want to go home, were we really supposed to ignore that and force him to stay? We never wanted to let Oriol go, the club exercised compassion in this case. Oriol is a good man and the club respects him.

I haven't heard about this anywhere else, I had no idea about the tears and compassion being exercised. I previously guessed he might have had reservations about sticking with the manager heading into the new season, but he does have a very young family so makes sense to bring them home. It was such a shame to lose him as I thought having Lavia and Romeu in the matchday squad would add some really important depth, and of course it all blew up in our face as Lavia got injured the same week.

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2022 at 20:57, Lighthouse said:

Which is why we have AMN and ID as back up. You can say what you like about their performances, we’re not going to find many better willing to sit on our bench and within our price range. We’ve literally replaced Romeu with two players, it’s erroneous to claim we’ve left ourselves short somewhere. 

hows that working out?

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Oriol Romeu