The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not that I think it will happen, but imagine the meltdown on here, twitter and BBC/Sky/Guardian/Mirror, if the PM is found to be clean over these incidents.

Sue Gray works for him and will hand her report into him.

We already know from the information already available that he's done enough to justify his resignation. We know he's mislead the house with his "oooh I'm furious about these parties I've just found out about" routine in December. Sue Gray isn't going to conclude that that didn't happen. It was on TV and everything. He's already accepted parties happened in his office run by his own staff and he's already admitted he was there.

Sue Gray just gives him a point in time to do another apology, "take personal responsibility" by sacking people that aren't him and then get his cabinet to go fully into "let's move on" mode.

Basically just a tactic to see if the press and the wider public just get bored of the story if it stretches out long enough.

The fact that there will be enough saps out there who believe that it is an actual investigation where he could be "found clean" proves that it is a tactic that might just work.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The fact that there will be enough saps out there who believe that it is an actual investigation where he could be "found clean" proves that it is a tactic that might just work.

equally, there will be enough saps out there could see any findings that they do not like as a 'cover up', a 'whitewash' et al

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Time for a statue? 

B5E6FAB2-B9F5-493D-8854-C6F441CC0DDB.jpeg

If the PM was in a stronger position, we would have had more restrictions (last month) and been more aligned to Wales, Scotland and much of Europe.  Thankfully, he could not do that.

Anyway, the autistic screeching you can hear this morning is from 5 million Civil Servants, who are waking up accepting that working from home permanently is coming to an end.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

equally, there will be enough saps out there could see any findings that they do not like as a 'cover up', a 'whitewash' et al

What do you mean "equally"? The whole thing is set up as a fig leaf, and a means to get off on technicalities in the first place. 

The reaction you describe is exactly what Boris will want. Provoke enemies to shout cover-up so he and the cabinet can take the new moral high ground of "Sue Gray has spoken let's all move on".

Thats two posts now where you have confirmed you are absolutely ready to support that narrative. So its nice to know where you are.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If the PM was in a stronger position, we would have had more restrictions (last month) and been more aligned to Wales, Scotland and much of Europe.  Thankfully, he could not do that.

Anyway, the autistic screeching you can hear this morning is from 5 million Civil Servants, who are waking up accepting that working from home permanently is coming to an end.

Autistic screeching? You really are a c**t.

And btw if you want to look smart using Latin suggest you stop putting et al when you mean et cetera 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Working from home won't come to an end. No way are organisations going to just ram all their staff back into an office. I know we certainly won't and I guess as Police staff we count as civil servants.

I imagine most places will move to hybrid working so it's 2 or 3 days in the office per week, which is what we have been doing for the whole pandemic in our department.

This style makes financial sense in terms of estate plus working from home has led to productivity rising, sickness plummeting and morale going up. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Working from home won't come to an end. No way are organisations going to just ram all their staff back into an office. I know we certainly won't and I guess as Police staff we count as civil servants.

I imagine most places will move to hybrid working so it's 2 or 3 days in the office per week, which is what we have been doing for the whole pandemic in our department.

This style makes financial sense in terms of estate plus working from home has led to productivity rising, sickness plummeting and morale going up. 

That's the way it is going. My company were hardliners on WFH days in the before-times but have now completely changed so the company wide policy is now 3-in, 2-home a week. I work for a big multinational and it sounds like most companies that size are moving to that. This is the "new normal".

We'll leave it to the dins who get all worked up reading Daily Mail columns berating people for wanting to avoid 3 hour commutes and/or eye-watering train fares to add more productivity into the economy. Especially as most of the time those opinion pieces are written by people sat on their arses at home, and in the most high profile cases by people who haven't worked in any office anywhere for 30 odd years.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, whelk said:

Autistic screeching? You really are a c**t.

And btw if you want to look smart using Latin suggest you stop putting et al when you mean et cetera 

Quite. Mind you, those sailors need someone to serve them their baked beans after a morning cleaning the submarines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Quite. Mind you, those sailors need someone to serve them their baked beans after a morning cleaning the submarines. 

And it's difficult to wfh if your 'office' is the galley on a sub. Given the strident kick back we have seen from him in the last couple of days, AL76 must be really worried about the possibility of Boris being ousted.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Totally agree. I personally feel a more flexible approach will be far more productive to most organisations and their employees.

Where I work the organisation has maintained a good mix of remote working, after the initial period at home (mainly Q2 20). In some cases, talented individuals who were looking to reduce their hours to spend more time at home, are being fully retained by allowing a more hybrid approach to their situation.

The scruffy haired **** knows full well what will be in the 'independent' Sue Gray report - he knows the report will be whitewashed allowing him to cling on a bit longer.  If there was anything more damaging in the report he would have resigned last week!

At least this is good news for Labour.

• Like 1

This current Conservative administration is rotten to the core.  All they and their dwindling band of looney snowflake right wing supporters have left is deflection, no morals, ethics or dignity.  I would never have imagined that our once proud and great nation could end up in the hands of such a divisive, dishonest incompetent  rabble.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, warsash saint said:

The scruffy haired **** knows full well what will be in the 'independent' Sue Gray report - he knows the report will be whitewashed allowing him to cling on a bit longer.  If there was anything more damaging in the report he would have resigned last week!

At least this is good news for Labour.

This, the best thing for Labour would be a whitewash and Bozo clinging on. The whole episode will just drag on with the Tories tearing themselves apart  - you can bet your life Cummings has more emails or pics lined up to drip feed though after it's published. 

• Like 2

Yeh we don't want someone else in, what's best for Labour and the country as whole now is Boris stays in for as long as possible so people don't forget his incompetence, the scandals, the lying, the eff ups etc. and he is pretty much guaranteed continued incompetence and more scandals will come out. 

A new leader, who will be equally awful and incompetent, will just act like it's a clean slate and move on, even though they are involved in it. 

You do also have to wonder what these 'red wall' MPs were really expecting, they are in their jobs because of Johnson, no one would have voted for them without, so you have wonder what really they were expecting? It's not like Johnson wasn't a proven liar and complete incompetent before he got anywhere near the job, why did anyone expect him to be any different? 

I mean I listed to the MP who defected going on about the government failing to do stuff for his constituents, what was he really expecting? A tory government, especially a Johnson one was never going to improve anything for working class voters in places like Bury and Sunderland etc. I mean did he even promise anything in 2019, from what I can remember of that election campaign all he did was appear in various costumes repeating 'Get Brexit done' and 'Over ready deal' over and over, I don't remember any actual policies that would improve the lives of ordinary people. SO these MPs went out and campaigned on the same meaningless spiel, for a guy they must have known was a complete bullshitter, but now they act like he has let them down? Seems a bit rich to me. 

What those voters voted for is also baffling, I remember a radio phone him from a guy from Sunderland who was basically in tears baffled that his community had voted for these clowns. I mean those people are basically responsible for what is happening, all this crap and incompetence was inevitable and on them. 

I wish Starmer wasn't so weak, he should be hammering them a lot more than he is and getting out what he can do better, he's kind of winning by default because he's not Boris.  It's like trump and Biden

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 3

I reckon the worst thing that could happen to Boris & The Conservatives is Sue Gray finds he did nothing wrong. Imagine if she does..I can’t imagine the public will just think ‘Oh fair enough, turns out he didn’t breach any rules after all’ The public will explode. If alternatively she does find he breached guidelines, I reckon people will think ‘Well yeah..we know..& just carry on’ Boris may leave  .the Conservatives get a reset. In a perverse way I’m hoping   he wiggles out of it..because the fallout will be immense.

Edited by wadesmith
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, aintforever said:

This, the best thing for Labour would be a whitewash and Bozo clinging on. The whole episode will just drag on with the Tories tearing themselves apart  - you can bet your life Cummings has more emails or pics lined up to drip feed though after it's published. 

I can't make up my mind about this. This country needs better leadership than this rabble. We shouldn't have to suffer them any longer. On the other hand it would be good for the opposition if the clowns could linger on. This English Nationalist party which is masquerading as the Conservatives needs to be opposed. 

I wouldnt be at all surprised if Cummings has a blockbuster email // video up his sleeve. Expect it to be revealed just after the Sue Gray whitewash has reported.

• Like 2

All those saying it's best for Boris to say so labour get in are clearly only interested in their own agenda. Boris is a terrible prime minster, a bullshitter and now a laughing stock with hardly any support. I'm really not sure how anyone can think it's in the best interests of the country if he stays in place. What they mean is it's in their best interests to get their preferred people in.

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I don't hear any autistic screeching. What even is that?

Sorry to piss all over your right wing indignation, but I work in the civil service and we've had it confirmed months ago that the option to WFH will remain permanently. Yesterday's announcement changed nothing.

• Like 3

What's interesting about the current situation is that Boris's supporters within the Tory party are only to happy to talk him up by praising his decision making during the pandemic. 'He's shown great leadership',  'He's got all the big decisions correct', etc. When we finally get to the public inquiry and some of the decisions made by the government are found to have been terrible, it'll be interesting to see how he distances himself from them. I'm certain he'll try though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't hear any autistic screeching. What even is that?

Sorry to piss all over your right wing indignation, but I work in the civil service and we've had it confirmed months ago that the option to WFH will remain permanently. Yesterday's announcement changed nothing.

It’s the civil servants who are the soft targets that these entitled rabble love to get others to vent at. The like of this poster laps it up being told by Richard Littlejohn they are all at home watching Netflix. Imagine how great this government would be if it wasn’t for the feckless civil servants? Imagine what this giant of a leader could achieve?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

All those saying it's best for Boris to say so labour get in are clearly only interested in their own agenda. Boris is a terrible prime minster, a bullshitter and now a laughing stock with hardly any support. I'm really not sure how anyone can think it's in the best interests of the country if he stays in place. What they mean is it's in their best interests to get their preferred people in.

Long game mate

1 hour ago, whelk said:

It’s the civil servants who are the soft targets that these entitled rabble love to get others to vent at. The like of this poster laps it up being told by Richard Littlejohn they are all at home watching Netflix. Imagine how great this government would be if it wasn’t for the feckless civil servants? Imagine what this giant of a leader could achieve?

Have you tried contacting the Environment Agency? "Our office is closed so don't bother writing, we are not answering any phones so don't call us. You can email us if you like and we might get round to answering some time but we can't guarantee anything"  (I paraphrase)

Or the HMRC helpline. "We are all working from home so we are operating on rdeuced hours of 10:00 to 16:00". Eh? How does that work out then?

18 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Have you tried contacting the Environment Agency? "Our office is closed so don't bother writing, we are not answering any phones so don't call us. You can email us if you like and we might get round to answering some time but we can't guarantee anything"  (I paraphrase)

Or the HMRC helpline. "We are all working from home so we are operating on rdeuced hours of 10:00 to 16:00". Eh? How does that work out then?

All contact centres will be on a soft phones by now so WFH shouldn’t affect service. The govt regularly cut these services so undoubtedly impacts the service they can provide. Shouldn’t be seen as a WFH issue. My experience of British Airways is dreadful. They chnage my flight and pretty much block the route to contact. Phones say hang up as prioritising urgent issues but at no point have they assessed urgency of my query. Bastards!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The offices are effectively closed because the government has been telling everyone to WFH where they can. Do you expect govt departments to ignore that advice?

I've no idea why HMRC think they need to operate reduced hours though. That makes no sense to me. If anything, the lack of commuting time should make it easier for their staff to fulfill their hours, not harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Indeed. The Richard Littlejohn who works from home in his gated community in Florida...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The offices are effectively closed because the government has been telling everyone to WFH where they can. Do you expect govt departments to ignore that advice?

I've no idea why HMRC think they need to operate reduced hours though. That makes no sense to me. If anything, the lack of commuting time should make it easier for their staff to fulfill their hours, not harder.

I don’t expect them to occupy their offices but I would expect letters to be answered and I would definitely expect them to answer their phones. They may have got tired of their ‘holiday’ and are back to running some sort of service by now.

The reduced hours business is ridiculous.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don’t expect them to occupy their offices but I would expect letters to be answered and I would definitely expect them to answer their phones. They may have got tired of their ‘holiday’ and are back to running some sort of service by now.

The reduced hours business is ridiculous.

Holiday. Yeah, right! 

I can't speak for the entire public sector but believe me, with the massive backlog of work that built up when we were under staffed throughout 2020 and the huge pressure we are still under to clear that backlog, on top of all the time critical projects we have running that can't be postponed, it has been anything but a holiday. 

Tell me, if the offices are mostly unoccupied then how do you expect those letters to be directed to the right department? We simply advised all our applicants to stop sending snail mail and just send everything electronically instead. It saves time and effort for everyone involved. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yeah, only another 100,000 infections today and a few hundred more deaths. Who cares eh? As long as you can go into spoons and have a pint without a mask.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Holiday. Yeah, right! 

I can't speak for the entire public sector but believe me, with the massive backlog of work that built up when we were under staffed throughout 2020 and the huge pressure we are still under to clear that backlog, on top of all the time critical projects we have running that can't be postponed, it has been anything but a holiday. 

Tell me, if the offices are mostly unoccupied then how do you expect those letters to be directed to the right department? We simply advised all our applicants to stop sending snail mail and just send everything electronically instead. It saves time and effort for everyone involved. 

I put ‘holiday’ in quotes for a reason.

At the time I needed help there was no promise that any emails would be answered. I shall try again shortly. I need to transfer a registration for WEEE sales.

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

What is best for this country is a stable, well led, progressive Labour government sitting on a comfortable majority so they can enact change and policies that fix the mess and damage this government has done (and the ones previously). Hopefully including some electoral reform so that it's harder for the Tories to get back in, considering this government was voted for by a minority of the electorate. 

Putting up with another 6 months or so of Johnson would be a relatively small price to pay for that IMO. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tajjuk said:

What is best for this country is a stable, well led, progressive Labour government sitting on a comfortable majority so they can enact change and policies that fix the mess and damage this government has done (and the ones previously). Hopefully including some electoral reform so that it's harder for the Tories to get back in, considering this government was voted for by a minority of the electorate. 

Putting up with another 6 months or so of Johnson would be a relatively small price to pay for that IMO. 

Exactly my point. You dont want a stable, well led, progressive government. You want a stable, well led progressive labour government. So your agenda is to get who you support in power. By the way, labour are none of those things at the moment either. 

Starmer is doing a good job at clearing out the stable but the stench of Corbyn and his followers still hangs over the Labour party. Corbyn  may not be in the party atm but many voters will be wary of trusting Labour whilst the likes of Abbot, Mcdonnell and Long Bailey are still around. 

The Lib Dems could have a role to play in any progressive government which sorts out the current mess. Their coalition experience however is not good and they need to up their game to get noticed by the public. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Starmer is doing a good job at clearing out the stable but the stench of Corbyn and his followers still hangs over the Labour party. Corbyn  may not be in the party atm but many voters will be wary of trusting Labour whilst the likes of Abbot, Mcdonnell and Long Bailey are still around. 

The Lib Dems could have a role to play in any progressive government which sorts out the current mess. Their coalition experience however is not good and they need to up their game to get noticed by the public. 

I agree. I would like to see some kind of Labour/LibDem/Green coalition. It will take a while for the mess of the last decade plus to be overturned but the first thing to do is get this lot out. If it means Johnson staying in power for a while longer in order for more votes to be lost it will be well worth it in the long run. Johnson is clearly an embarrassment and is and has always been a self serving incompetent, but when he goes there are still the likes of Patel, Raab, Rees-Mogg, Hancock, Truss, Gove etc lurking around. Johnson is just one part of the problem

9 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I agree. I would like to see some kind of Labour/LibDem/Green coalition. It will take a while for the mess of the last decade plus to be overturned but the first thing to do is get this lot out. If it means Johnson staying in power for a while longer in order for more votes to be lost it will be well worth it in the long run. Johnson is clearly an embarrassment and is and has always been a self serving incompetent, but when he goes there are still the likes of Patel, Raab, Rees-Mogg, Hancock, Truss, Gove etc lurking around. Johnson is just one part of the problem

You really hate Tory's don't you.  No matter what they do, who they are, you hate them.

very very strange

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You really hate Tory's don't you.  No matter what they do, who they are, you hate them.

very very strange

An interesting question. Are this lot true Conservatives? True Conservatives to me are the likes of Ken Clarke, Michael Heseltine and even John Major.  They no longer have a home in this Conservative party - primarily because they believe in an open Europe. Remember it was Thatcher who was one of the leading forces behind the creation of the Single Market.

This lot are more like an English Nationalist party rather than true Conservatives. The likes of Duckie would say that they are still pinkoes but to me they are not true Conservatives.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tamesaint said:

An interesting question. Are this lot true Conservatives? True Conservatives to me are the likes of Ken Clarke, Michael Heseltine and even John Major.  They no longer have a home in this Conservative party - primarily because they believe in an open Europe. Remember it was Thatcher who was one of the leading forces behind the creation of the Single Market.

This lot are more like an English Nationalist party rather than true Conservatives. The likes of Duckie would say that they are still pinkoes but to me they are not true Conservatives.  

Fair point.  I suspect those you mentioned would also be against a high tax, socialist spending, net-zero way centre of gravity.  

22 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

very very strange

What is strange Brett is you pretending that you have met me or that you are not Delldays and Batman. That is very, very, very strange.

What is also very strange is the fact that you single me out when there are plenty of others here who dislike this government and frequently comment on it.

Where you are wrong here is in saying no matter what they do. If they did anything worth commending I would commend them for it. Sadly the decent Tories have all been marginalised and we have a bunch of useless incompetents in the cabinet since Johnson was given the top job. 

25 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

That’s a load of old pony. They’re unionist through and through, luckily for them there isn’t a English Nationalist movement led by somebody like Nigel, otherwise the union would be in trouble. It wouldn’t surprise me if English nationalism is the next big Brexit type battleground. 

The modern Conservative party are basically Lib Dems without the sandals. As Peter Hitchens has correctly identified, the biggest threat to conservatism in this country, is the Conservative party. 

47 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I suspect those you mentioned would also be against a high tax, socialist spending, net-zero way centre of gravity.  

Thats such an old inaccurate trope though. Trotted out by the Daily Mail and people like, well you. It has no real basis in fact. Since WW2 there has been little difference in the total tax take as a percentage of GDP (the standard measure) whether it is Labour or Tories in power. Both are actually quite low by international standards. The Tories however tend to leave behind more debt because they like to pretend they spend more and tax less less because they are so awesomely efficient and they really whip those lazy crap public services into shape - in reality they just borrow money to bridge the tax take / spending gap.    

The Tories are pretty much hostage to the fact that their voters tend to be older with many retired. Older people cost more to look after - pensions, healthcare, social care and they tend to pay little tax. The Tory public spend is therefore more focussed on consumption

Labour have historically spent more on younger people things like education, training, nurseries, working family credits etc in pursuit of their social mobility and levelling up agenda. Arguably these have a positive effect long term for the economy so have an element of investment, not simple consumption.   

I know you wont engage with the issues Batman but others might.  

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Exactly my point. You dont want a stable, well led, progressive government. You want a stable, well led progressive labour government. So your agenda is to get who you support in power. By the way, labour are none of those things at the moment either. 

To be fair, that is the point of politics. For a lot of people they will like a party for the parties core beliefs and will believe that's the best way forward for the country; Labour for their progressive equality of opportunity, Greens for the environment, Tory's for deregulated wealth creation. So it's natural for people to want their party to be in power.

Of course there are floating voters that make up a portion on the electorate, but the vast majority will be partisan.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

What is strange Brett is you pretending that you have met me or that you are not Delldays and Batman. That is very, very, very strange.

What is also very strange is the fact that you single me out when there are plenty of others here who dislike this government and frequently comment on it.

Where you are wrong here is in saying no matter what they do. If they did anything worth commending I would commend them for it. Sadly the decent Tories have all been marginalised and we have a bunch of useless incompetents in the cabinet since Johnson was given the top job. 

how many jabs have you had Soggy? 

There is a whole list of reasons why you're singled out and not just by Brett/Jamie/Alex either. Ever thought the issue might be you?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

very very strange

You get the impression he hates the Tories more than he likes anyone else. A very strange, bitter individual with some very pious views.

43 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s a load of old pony. They’re unionist through and through, luckily for them there isn’t a English Nationalist movement led by somebody like Nigel, otherwise the union would be in trouble. It wouldn’t surprise me if English nationalism is the next big Brexit type battleground. 

That isn't pony. Its a complete load of old bollocks.

Johnson's government have done more to endanger the union with their attitude towards Scotland and their non resolution of the Northern Irish Brexit question than any other government in my memory. Johnson and this lot dont give a fig for the union. 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

To be fair, that is the point of politics. For a lot of people they will like a party for the parties core beliefs and will believe that's the best way forward for the country; Labour for their progressive equality of opportunity, Greens for the environment, Tory's for deregulated wealth creation. So it's natural for people to want their party to be in power.

Of course there are floating voters that make up a portion on the electorate, but the vast majority will be partisan.

And there you have the problem. People choose "a side" then stick with that side no matter what, it aint a frigging football team. Obviously the sooner the country gets rid of Johnson the better, a dreadful prime minister, yet some people would rather he stays because it help their side get in, not because they want what's best for the country. You've only got to look at the Brexit fallout. The vote didn't go the way some wanted, so rather than accept the democratic vote and getting on with it there was endless wailing and bleating with quite a few people desperately hoping it all goes wrong and the country is fucked forever just so they can say i told you so. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.