The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

55 minutes ago, whelk said:

Oh he thought it was a work event. What a cunt

That lie is so laughably pathetic it's untrue. People would have even a little bit of respect for him if he was honest, yes we had a party, yes he was there, this is why we did it and we are deeply sorry, instead all we get is bumbling bullshit which is so see through it's embarrassing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Trout-Tickler said:

He thought he was attending a 'work event'? 🤣 Seriously, how stupid does he think people are?

They voted for Brexit, then voted him into office. He knows how stupid they are.

The definition of a turd that will not flush. Asking people to wait until the enquiry has concluded translates as buy us some time to identify a sacrificial lamb.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 7

You fucking leftie, tree-hugging, woke, sandal-wearing, statue-bothering, Britain-hating remoaners!

It's a bit harsh to criticise, I'm sure most of us have at some point stumbled into our gardens with a bottle in hand, discovered an illegal party going on, organised at our own request, confused it with a work meeting, then been so forgetful we needed to organise an enquiry just to establish if we had been there.

Easy mistakes to make.

The main defence now seems to be that it was not a public space, meaning we could have all held garden raves ourselves, and the PM was so horrified at realising he was suddenly at his own party that he was too shocked to send people away.

Simple explanation, nothing to see here.

The end.

PS  Blur the enquiry findings, sack a civil servant, pay them whatever, treat the voters with utter contempt, laugh at them, they're suckers and will believe any old shit.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Quite fortunate for Boris that the Prince Andrew story has broken today as well, giving media outlets that (still) support him another story to go big on.

Imagine being the fawning sycophant that penned this?

141A2CA6-ADCE-4801-84BD-6F14B4C40F53.thumb.jpeg.498415fe3d8a56c758a36f920dcdc9f0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

That lie is so laughably pathetic it's untrue. People would have even a little bit of respect for him if he was honest, yes we had a party, yes he was there, this is why we did it and we are deeply sorry, instead all we get is bumbling bullshit which is so see through it's embarrassing. 

Exactly not even an apology but an excuse which is no apology. Even the fools that lapped up his bluster must be waking up to what a complete immoral fucker he is.

Think Starmer is good when visibly angry 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Quite fortunate for Boris that the Prince Andrew story has broken today as well, giving media outlets that (still) support him another story to go big on.

I hope for her sake that Virginia Giuffre doesn't go driving through any tunnels in the near future.

On 11/01/2022 at 18:34, Mystic Force said:

The main point of conservatism is in maintaining the status quo and if the current version is not so palatable then a previously envisioned superior time. Its roots are in the preservation of social hierarchies from when land was the source of wealth and not business. As the landed disappeared as a class they happily embraced the cause of preserving the more recently wealthy in opposition to those who would like to join them. Neo liberal economic markets forces ideology is pretty recent, but with the twist of using said forces to entrench rather than empower.

My conclusion is the county is slightly right of center, but used to value competence but for some reason has given up on that.

I agree, the Tories stood to defend the class system and protect who had access to wealth. With the fall of deference and the erosion class, the tories shifted their position and the difference between the Tories and Labour was around equality of opportunity. The Tories believe that the system is fair for all and that those who get on simply work harder. They seek to maintain the status quo, with the deceit that if a few are allowed to get wealthy then the majority benefit through trickle down.

Whereas Labour understand that there are systemic structural barriers that create inequities and they seek to remove or lessen these.

However, there appears to be another shift happening away from the social economic and on to the culture wars, around traditional and progressive thinking. The tories seem adept at shifting shape in order to remain viable for power, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out and where it leaves the Labour party.

I find this stuff fascinating, how we can all live in the same space and experience the same things, but come to completly different conclusions. 

• Like 2

I left the UK a while ago so I am not really up to all the details of what has happened, but here in the US the Republicans have with the skill of a good general moved their opponents out of their position to one of their choosing. They used to be the party that was for working people and with union support, but having successfully eliminated most unions being a significant force has pinned Democrats into defending the most ridiculous woke stuff. Rather than defending equality in general and standing up for the less well off demographic, it doesn't help all those who are meant to help the poor have managed to profit themselves well from the system.

I imagine that some similar stuff is what is going on back home, but with the added fun of Brexit sprinkled on top.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I find this stuff fascinating, how we can all live in the same space and experience the same things, but come to completly different conclusions. 

Me too. In the early 2000s  I imagined the internet would increase diversity of information flows making people less indoctrinated by the big five or six newspapers. In practice most people have become more siloed and less challenged as they are able to stay in their comfort zones by choosing 'news' sources which reinforce their existing views      

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Doctoroncall said:

Let's see how much Sue Gray can find and not find about this alleged party event:

'Even when a document trail exists, Ms Gray is enthusiastic about keeping it a secret. We know that she advised special advisers on how to destroy email (by "double-deletion") to thwart FOIA requesters.' from a BBC article (2015) about her.

What would Sir Humphrey do ?

52 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Why do they think that giving a grudging apology is enough to let Boris off the hook, and that we should now "move on" ? Surely there have to be consequences ?

He should resign, there is literally nothing else to it.  He is and was the leader of the country during the biggest national crisis since the war.  Above all else he had to set an example, both on principle but also to uphold the integrity of government.  Not only did he fail to do so, it appears he chose not to do so in such a massive, obnoxious way, it's completely and utterly unforgivable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He should resign, there is literally nothing else to it.  He is and was the leader of the country during the biggest national crisis since the war.  Above all else he had to set an example, both on principle but also to uphold the integrity of government.  Not only did he fail to do so, it appears he chose not to do so in such a massive, obnoxious way, it's completely and utterly unforgivable.

I disagree.

I said at the time (when it was mooted that someone else should be fired for meeting their partner at the beach IIRC), that no-one should lose their livelihood due to Covid regulations.  They were simply not designed for that level of 'punishment'.

Don't take this as apologising for Boris as I think he's a complete bell-end as everyone else does and I'm under no illusion that he (or anyone else involved) is 'sorry' for what they did, sorry that they've been found out maybe.

I'm pretty sure that everyone (deliberately) broke the regulations at some point last year, so where do you draw the line?  All those attending protests and memorials / whatever other mass gatherings happened, also broke the rules, should they also be forced to lose their jobs.  I'm sure we all know someone who had a party in their garden during lockdown, should they be fired as well?

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I disagree.

I said at the time (when it was mooted that someone else should be fired for meeting their partner at the beach IIRC), that no-one should lose their livelihood due to Covid regulations.  They were simply not designed for that level of 'punishment'.

Don't take this as apologising for Boris as I think he's a complete bell-end as everyone else does and I'm under no illusion that he (or anyone else involved) is 'sorry' for what they did, sorry that they've been found out maybe.

I'm pretty sure that everyone (deliberately) broke the regulations at some point last year, so where do you draw the line?  All those attending protests and memorials / whatever other mass gatherings happened, also broke the rules, should they also be forced to lose their jobs.  I'm sure we all know someone who had a party in their garden during lockdown, should they be fired as well?

The difference is that the government created the laws that they themselves, it appears, broke multiple times.    

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He's never going to resign. He will have to be pushed by the Tories, and somehow I don't see him contentedly sitting next to Theresa May on the backbenches. He's always been in politics to benefit himself and his wallet, nothing more. Once he's forced out he'll slink off to earn millions for some shady corporations.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I disagree.

And this is why the cunts get away with it

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I disagree.

Well, 1. you draw the line that people leading the country in the pandemic don't significantly break the rules at any point and 2. I disagree that "everyone broke the rules".   Millions of people understood the gravity of the situation and genuinely tried to do what they could to protect others and curtail the pandemic.  The mentality of a significant minority in this country that "breaking life saving rules doesn't matter lol" is fucking depressing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Anyone who has lost a loved one and has attended their funeral knows why Boris needs to go. The queen had to endure the funeral on her own due to the rules put in place for covid.  I’m no royalist either.

Is there anyone who doesn’t now realise  Boris is just an entitled smug immoral wanker? Only capable of fooling the thick, sorry gullible, fools in the short-term who rejoiced in him winning power have now woken up to what to many was so bleeding obvious.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Well, 1. you draw the line that people leading the country in the pandemic don't significantly break the rules at any point and 2. I disagree that "everyone broke the rules".   Millions of people understood the gravity of the situation and genuinely tried to do what they could to protect others and curtail the pandemic.  The mentality of a significant minority in this country that "breaking life saving rules doesn't matter lol" is fucking depressing.

Remember it’s Weston. He won’t comprehend the notion that the highest office in the land should lead by example. Posh accent will do for him to doff his cap

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Is there anyone who doesn’t now realise  Boris is just an entitled smug immoral wanker? Only capable of fooling the thick, sorry gullible, fools in the short-term who rejoiced in him winning power have now woken up to what to many was so bleeding obvious.

He's still seen as the "man who delivered brexit" to many.  However, with brexit proving costly and the memory of the "triumph" fading I suspect that support will fade too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I agree on principle but I actually want him to stay in post as long as possible. Every week he is PM he hurts the Tories more. Sunak might be an answer but might also struggle to deliver on the promises the right would want for supporting him balanced with the levelling up agenda which was part of the package which captured the red wall, plus Corbyn’s toxicity. The small state old style Minford model the DT loves might win a few of the old SE seats back but lose swathes in the Midlands and North. 

Truss the blue few might like but public polls not convincing at all and she can match Boris for the number of gaffes. 

They got their Brexit - not that the government apparently allows officials to call it that any longer - but it could be politically as well as economically very expensive. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I disagree.

The important difference is that these were the people making the rules and forcing them on everyone else. My Dad died April of that year and we were only allowed 4 people at the funeral, whilst those Tory cunts were partying.

It's vital that leaders set an example. If we are unlucky and there is another more severe variation of Covid that evades the vaccines some time in the future then we might need another lockdown, how is anyone from this government going to be able to get that to happen now?

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I disagree.

You can't distill this down to him losing his job just because he broke covid rules, this is about him not be capable of doing the job.

His job was to lead by example, demand that his workforce to do the same, to not hide behind civil servant investigations or well chosen statements that dance around the truth, to not mislead the house of parliament and to not hold the general public in contempt.

• Like 1

I disagree.

Guild-Emblem-Transparent.png

I disagree.

If Johnson were to resign as PM, he won't lose his livelihood. He'll still have his MPs salary to top up all his inherited wealth and assets.

Matt Hancock had to go after being found out flouting the rules his government had set, so should he.

39 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The important difference is that these were the people making the rules and forcing them on everyone else. My Dad died April of that year and we were only allowed 4 people at the funeral, whilst those Tory cunts were partying.

It's vital that leaders set an example. If we are unlucky and there is another more severe variation of Covid that evades the vaccines some time in the future then we might need another lockdown, how is anyone from this government going to be able to get that to happen now?

Sorry to hear about your dad mate. My father in law died in that April and there were 8 of us at his funeral, the lack of a decent send off compounded my wife's grief. We thought we would do something once the restrictions were over, but we didn't do anything in the end as the moment was gone.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I see Liz Truss is doing the 'time to move on' line, if she thinks that's the right line for public to hear right now, then she hasn't got the judgement skills to be the next PM.

As others have noted about continuing with Boris just helps the opposition. Opting for Truss would be a catastrophe but one funny to watch although maybe untold carnage until the election. She’s everything the red wall lot hate about politicians…and a Tory!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If Johnson were to resign as PM, he won't lose his livelihood. He'll still have his MPs salary to top up all his inherited wealth and assets.

Matt Hancock had to go after being found out flouting the rules his government had set, so should he.

There is absolutely no chance Boris will remain as an MP if he is ousted as PM.

I disagree.

He made the rules, he expected the Police to enforce them, he sets the tone and example for the country. He knew the 'events' were happening and could have stopped them  all it needed was a bit of leadership.

He has failed on so many levels and his incompetence and lack of authority is plain to see.

It is because he sets the standard by which we are all measured that he must go.

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.