Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

He learned from those matches, hence the change in approach when we went down to 10 men vs Leicester City and got a point.

Holy fook! You really are clutching at straws !  The last two games summed up  our season under Ralph ....started well then ran out of puff and ideas! We are as predictable and as brittle as fook!  Untill that is addressed nothing will change .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Holy fook! You really are clutching at straws !  The last two games summed up  our season under Ralph ....started well then ran out of puff and ideas! We are as predictable and as brittle as fook!  Untill that is addressed nothing will change .

Yep although I would have expressed it a little differently!

You will have to forgive me being a bit bored on a horrible wet day waiting for England v Scotland to arrive So whilst reading BBC website I read about Spurs search for a new manager and saw that Fonseca who i thought was about to be unveiled suddenly is not and the search goes on.

Is beyond the realms of possibility that they now turn their attention to Ralph??

Tottenham's managerial search

19 April -Jose Mourinho is sacked as Spurs boss after 17 months in charge

20 April - Former Tottenham midfielder Ryan Mason, 29, is promoted from club's academy to take over as interim manager until the end of season

27 April - Julian Nagelsmann, who had been linked with taking over at the London club, is announced as Bayern Munich's new boss for next season following his spell at RB Leipzig

30 April - There is speculation Ajax head coach Erik ten Hag could be in the running for the post but he signs a new contract with the Dutch club

23 May - Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers is another name mentioned as a possible Spurs target but he insists he will not be leaving the Foxes

27 May -Tottenham make contact with Paris St-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino about the Argentine returning to the manage the Spurs side

28 May -PSG have no intention of letting Pochettino leave the club, according to football journalist Guillem Balague

2 June -Antonio Conte is a clear front runner for the Spurs job fresh from leaving Inter Milan after leading them to the Serie A title

4 June - Conte also led Chelsea to the top flight crown during his spell in charge at Stamford Bridge but talks with Spurs break down

15 June -Spurs are close to appointing former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca as their new manager

17 June - Tottenham's attempts to find a new boss take another twist as they end talks with Fonseca in a move thought to be linked to Gennaro Gattuso's unexpected Fiorentina exit

18 June -Gattuso is not being considered as a candidate after the prospect of him taking over prompted a fan protest, which was communicated to the club by the Tottenham Hotspur Supporter Trust. The search goes on...

5 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

You will have to forgive me being a bit bored on a horrible wet day waiting for England v Scotland to arrive So whilst reading BBC website I read about Spurs search for a new manager and saw that Fonseca who i thought was about to be unveiled suddenly is not and the search goes on.

Is beyond the realms of possibility that they now turn their attention to Ralph??

They aren't getting Ralph, they can't afford to buy him or anyone else out of their contracts. And if they could, they would go for Potter.

Not impossible, same with Potter. After such a clusterfuck you would imagine they need to get someone quickly now rather than faffing about agreeing compensation with anyone.

Last few they have gone after have been without a job.

Lets hope not anyway, would be very disruptive at this point so you would think the club would say no based solely on that, if there was an enquiry.

On 13/06/2021 at 18:56, gammon cheeks said:

yes perfect description. For example, perfectly describes the embarrassing loss away v WBA

9 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Tottenham's managerial search

19 April -Jose Mourinho is sacked as Spurs boss after 17 months in charge

20 April - Former Tottenham midfielder Ryan Mason, 29, is promoted from club's academy to take over as interim manager until the end of season

27 April - Julian Nagelsmann, who had been linked with taking over at the London club, is announced as Bayern Munich's new boss for next season following his spell at RB Leipzig

30 April - There is speculation Ajax head coach Erik ten Hag could be in the running for the post but he signs a new contract with the Dutch club

23 May - Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers is another name mentioned as a possible Spurs target but he insists he will not be leaving the Foxes

27 May -Tottenham make contact with Paris St-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino about the Argentine returning to the manage the Spurs side

28 May -PSG have no intention of letting Pochettino leave the club, according to football journalist Guillem Balague

2 June -Antonio Conte is a clear front runner for the Spurs job fresh from leaving Inter Milan after leading them to the Serie A title

4 June - Conte also led Chelsea to the top flight crown during his spell in charge at Stamford Bridge but talks with Spurs break down

15 June -Spurs are close to appointing former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca as their new manager

17 June - Tottenham's attempts to find a new boss take another twist as they end talks with Fonseca in a move thought to be linked to Gennaro Gattuso's unexpected Fiorentina exit

18 June -Gattuso is not being considered as a candidate after the prospect of him taking over prompted a fan protest, which was communicated to the club by the Tottenham Hotspur Supporter Trust. The search goes on...

Please don't tease me !

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Have seen articles saying he'll join Flick in the national team set up, but wonder if RH would want to bring him back, or be able to.

I know it was Bayern offer but Wasn't there rumours he fell out with RH? weird that his departure pretty much coincided with our shit form 

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

I know it was Bayern offer but Wasn't there rumours he fell out with RH? weird that his departure pretty much coincided with our shit form 

Yes but in all likelihood the rumours may have just started on the mongboard. 

On 19/06/2021 at 11:05, Badger said:

Have seen articles saying he'll join Flick in the national team set up, but wonder if RH would want to bring him back, or be able to.

Not saying this is a fact but I was under the impression Ralph and he had fallen out when he left SMS

On 21/06/2021 at 08:06, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Not saying this is a fact but I was under the impression Ralph and he had fallen out when he left SMS

It wasn't that, it was to do with some other goings on that left saints and Rohl very little option but to part company. 

On 20/06/2021 at 16:44, CB Fry said:

Danny Röhl is back on the market people.

The answer to all our problems. All of them. Come back Danny and lead us to the Champions League.

True. Much like how Eric Black was the reason everything went wrong, Rohl was the reason everything went right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

It wasn't that, it was to do with some other goings on that left saints and Rohl very little option but to part company. 

Fondling with someone he shouldn’t? 

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

When asked about the returning loan players he mentionned : Mario Moi Yann Valery and Longy in that order.

Plus the fact that last season we let players go for peanuts and we were left with youngsters that lacked quality.

To me that means probably Lemina and Moi are starting unless we get fantastic offers for them that is worth selling. 
Yann s future will probably depend on what who we are able to bring in at full back.

The fact that he mentions Long last in the interview and the fact that he sees more gametime for Obafemi and Tella will probably mean he will be shipped off on loan until his contract expires

22 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

he sees more gametime for Obafemi and Tella 

In other words there aren’t many players coming in this transfer window.

I can’t say the interview has filled me with confidence although if Ings does go Ralph is gonna have egg all over his face with his “we don’t need to sell” line

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

In other words there aren’t many players coming in this transfer window.

I can’t say the interview has filled me with confidence although if Ings does go Ralph is gonna have egg all over his face with his “we don’t need to sell” line

Im not sure he will have egg on his face, if we receive a good enough offer that allows us to buy say Armstrong and Edouard, I imagine we will sell.

Soundbytes are always put out there to maximise our position, we cant exactly say we need to flog him asap.

I dont have an issues with what is going on this summer, on the contrary, we are shipping loads out we dont need, have likely reduced the wage bill by a few hundred k also, and more signings will follow.

Id be amazed if Vesty and Ings were here come the shutting of the window though.

36 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

When asked about the returning loan players he mentionned : Mario Moi Yann Valery and Longy in that order.

Plus the fact that last season we let players go for peanuts and we were left with youngsters that lacked quality.

To me that means probably Lemina and Moi are starting unless we get fantastic offers for them that is worth selling. 
Yann s future will probably depend on what who we are able to bring in at full back.

The fact that he mentions Long last in the interview and the fact that he sees more gametime for Obafemi and Tella will probably mean he will be shipped off on loan until his contract expires

I don't have a problem with either Mo or Lemina staying. There's a player in there somewhere in Lemina's case. I'd love for Ralph to try and find it. 

39 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Was a good interview, I thought.  There’s too much noise around Lemina for him to stay, IMO.

Supposed Interest here, France, Italy, Turkey & Spain.

Can see Moi staying though, which surprises me if you’d told me that a few months ago.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Turkish said:

can we agree before the season starts is it Hassenhutls team now? Is he still hamstrung by the legacy of Reed/Wison/Puel/Pellegrino/Hughes? 

He's been forced to replace key players like ings and vestergard under strict financial circumstances - so whilst he's signed the players I still don't think it's the squad he really wants. I would say we're midway through a work in progress tbh. 

If we're abysmal he has few places left to hide though imo. But I'm prepared to be patient with him and the team. I still think he's a good manager and that last season was a culmination of terrible injuries, a small squad, and players looking at their next moves.

Excited to see how this new look and younger team gets on. Think we've done some very good business atm, but will Ralph get the time to see some of these players mature 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

can we agree before the season starts is it Hassenhutls team now? Is he still hamstrung by the legacy of Reed/Wison/Puel/Pellegrino/Hughes? 

It's definitely getting there but I think we're still 2 or 3 windows away from it totally being his team.

Need to sort a GK who can pass and make actual saves plus another central midfielder, a Number 10 and a striker who isn't a loan.

We'll obviously have a new CB soon so that adds another player to his team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

It's definitely getting there but I think we're still 2 or 3 windows away from it totally being his team.

Need to sort a GK who can pass and make actual saves plus another central midfielder, a Number 10 and a striker who isn't a loan.

We'll obviously have a new CB soon so that adds another player to his team.

it is his team, 

KWP, Salisu, Perraud, Livramento, Diallo, Walcott, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, Broja

+ New CB & Tella (brought into the team under him)

We will have almost an entire starting line up every game brought in under Ralph.  That is his team.

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is his team, 

KWP, Salisu, Perraud, Livramento, Diallo, Walcott, Djenepo, Adams, Armstrong, Broja

We will have almost an entire starting line up every game brought in under Ralph.  That is his team.

It's not quite though is it? Still has a GK without the skills he needs, Bednarek, Redmond and even Romeu probably don't start in his ideal system.

As I said it's getting there but your line up is 2 or 3 injuries away from having to start with a large percentage of players he inherited.

Football is a squad game.

Before Ducky starts rambling on about me being part of Ralph's cult I'm not making excuses for him, it's just how it is. We have rarely had a manager who has stayed long enough to build their own team or squad or whatever. Closest to this in recent times was probably Koeman because of the mass clear out but he still had a reasonable amount of inherited players by the end although most of them were a lot better than the dross Ralph was handed.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's not quite though is it? Still has a GK without the skills he needs, Bednarek, Redmond and even Romeu probably don't start in his ideal system.

As I said it's getting there but your line up is 2 or 3 injuries away from having to start with a large percentage of players he inherited.

Before Ducky starts rambling on about me being part of Ralph's cult I'm not making excuses for him, it's just how it is. We have rarely had a manager who has stayed long enough to build their own team or squad or whatever. Closest to this in recent times was probably Koeman because of the mass clear out but he still had a reasonable amount of inherited players by the end although most of them were a lot better than the dross Ralph was handed.

I am unsure any manager ever really has his own side, unless they stay for 5+ years.  Even then, that is a huge ask.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

I can't agree with your couple of posts on this. Sure the GK isn't Ralph's pick, but 3 of the back 4 are, Diallo is his player and JWP is his kind of player, and I think all the 10's and forwards are as well. This is more Ralph's team than an inherited team, and there can be no more excuses for  Ralph if this team does badly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is his team, 

Only 2-3 of those players would have been starters last season though - KWP, maybe perraud, and one of Adams/Armstrong.

He's had to assemble the squad he has whilst being in a terrible financial situation with limited resources - having to shift high wage dead wood, and selling to release funds to buy. Those players above were largely all signed as promising young players that could develop into first team players / starters - and he's had to (and still is) managing the transition.

To get to this point, he's/we've had to sell/shift;

Ings, Vestergard, Bertrand, Cedric, Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo, Gunn, Hojberg, Reed, Yoshida, Boufal, Target, Austin, Clasie, Austin, Gallagher, Davis.

Plus we still have Ely 😅

And listing your signings above;

Not to mention he's had to keep team cohesion with that level of churn - as well as totally changing our style of football from the puel/mope/hughes days.

So yeah, its his team.... But fair play to him for keeping us in the league and out of relegation scraps i'd say - we have been chronically mismanaged before him and he's barely had a pot to piss in.

I'm sure he'd love a good goalkeeper - but fortunately forster and Macca are capable and certainly not as useless as players like Hoedt/boufal/lemina etc for saints.

Like i said before, he doesn't have many places to hide this season. But we're certainly a work in progress, and i for one will judge him with the knowledge that he's assembled the team he has on one of the lowest net budgets in the league.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it is his team, 

Well not quite. This is nowhere near our starting XI yet.  

He's one of the longest serving managers in the league for flip's sake.

He's had two entire seasons plus over half a season when he started. 

His third summer pre-season. All that time to bed-in, get his ideas across.

It is his team, 100% his team.

When you're Southampton manager that does not mean you get everything your way. It doesn't mean you hand pick your entire squad disregarding the rest. It doesn't mean you get resources x infinity. You don't get to walk in and create a blank sheet of paper. You're the Southampton manager. Here are the cards you've been dealt. Play.

100% his team.

Funny really, if he does brilliantly and we are top six by November, I wonder how many people making pre-excuses now will be saying "weeeelllll, that success not really actually down to him because its not his goalie and Romeu and Armstrong were here before he arrived, and Elyounoussi is still here".

I'll tell you how many: none.

I'll tell you my position.

We do great and finish top 8 = 100% down to Ralph.

We do dogshit and bottom three by Christmas = 100% down to Ralph.

That's fair, isn't it?

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl