Saints in the England Squad

Paulwantsapint81

29 minutes ago, trousers said:

Aye.... Seems to be a case of "let's not pass it to the Southampton fella" at times

Would say that's ridiculous but right at the end there I saw two examples of a player facing ward Prowse who was in acres of space and turning their back on him to pass into traffic. Hope we're not returning to the England cliques. 

1 minute ago, adriansfc said:

Rice and JWP would be a decent double pivot. Shame they're not doing that but international football doesn't really attract any decent managers anymore. It's fairly painful to watch most the time. 

Rice and JWP, Sancho and Sterling on the wings, Kane and Ings up top. 

Just now, Delmary said:

The shape is all wrong.

Definitely. England looked good in the last couple of years with the two wingers coming narrow and running beyond Kane, with two defensive mids and one attacking as the link. For some reason Southgate lives changing a system that works. 

Sancho has been shite.

45 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

His hairline is receding and he needs the fringe for a comb over.

Turned on the game and was trying to find him and spotted him instantly but him sorting out his hair.

He touches his hair about 50 times in 90mins, think I will start the JWP drinking game for our 1st game

Another England game where Kane offers nothing unless it's put on a plate for him or someone wins a penalty.

Not sure if it's the England system or he just doesn't offer much but I can't remember him doing anything for England since that World Cup group game when he got an easy hat trick.

Just now, igsey said:

Another England game where Kane offers nothing unless it's put on a plate for him or someone wins a penalty.

Not sure if it's the England system or he just doesn't offer much but I can't remember him doing anything for England since that World Cup group game when he got an easy hat trick.

Kane is at his best for England when dropping deeper, turning and playing the ball through for the pace of sterling/Sancho/Rashford. 

Boring - the build up was so slow. Very little inventiveness I thought. Danny didn't have much to feed on. I thought JWP had a generally positive game and when he did lose it, chased back and won it back with that new "bite" he has in his game. 

Anyway - genuine question as I don't know....hope it hasn't already been mentioned previously in this thread.. When was the last time in an England game, Saints had two players on the pitch at the same time? Someone on here will know I'm sure......Cheers.

14 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Boring - the build up was so slow. Very little inventiveness I thought. Danny didn't have much to feed on. I thought JWP had a generally positive game and when he did lose it, chased back and won it back with that new "bite" he has in his game. 

Anyway - genuine question as I don't know....hope it hasn't already been mentioned previously in this thread.. When was the last time in an England game, Saints had two players on the pitch at the same time? Someone on here will know I'm sure......Cheers.

JWP and Redmond a couple of years ago?

11 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Oh yeah.  Didn't we have 3 or 4 in one game not so many years ago?  Forster, Redmond, Bertrand, Prowse/Clyne?  

Terrible game of football. Slow pace, no movement, backwards and sideways for 90mins.

Very lucky to have won that. Iceland are a dreadful outfit too, so a big wakeup call. Need to get the best out of players like Foden, Sterling, Sancho, Kane etc. That's as good as an attacking 4 around, but they just didn't get into the game.

Lots of work to do I think.

5 hours ago, trousers said:

Nice one Prowsey :)

Screenshot_20200905-192242.png

Thought there was a bit of shithousing going on when he hung about on the spot - almost “hey did you see the last penalty I took v Everton?” “ you better that and I will stand you and your family a slap up feast of that pickled Puffin you folk all like round here”.

Thought JWP did alright seemed to be idling on tick over nice and easy, whilst those around him looked a bit leggy. Noted when Walker went to test the hot water first, Prowsey was over to Southgate to get the positional message to take back to the team. Southgate and JWP have a good relationship going back to when he was his captain for the under 21s/23s - Southgate commented not too long ago that some might accuse him of being JWPs Dad.

Kane looked shot very early in the second half.

9 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Thought JWP did alright seemed to be idling on tick over nice and easy, whilst those around him looked a bit leggy. Noted when Walker went to test the hot water first, Prowsey was over to Southgate to get the positional message to take back to the team. Southgate and JWP have a good relationship going back to when he was his captain for the under 21s/23s - Southgate commented not too long ago that some might accuse him of being JWPs Dad.

Given there appeared to be an element of players not passing to JWP when that was the obvious pass (happened less as the game went on to be fair), the conspiracy theorist lurking in the back of my mind did wonder if the other players see JWP as a bit of a teacher's pet and don't think he's there on merit alone. Probably a load of unsubstantiated nonsense from me (just for a change) but stranger things have happened... Maybe...

Edited by trousers

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Given there appeared to be an element of players not passing to JWP when that was the obvious pass (happened less as the game went on to be fair), the conspiracy theorist lurking in the back of my mind did wonder if the other players see JWP as a bit of a teacher's pet and don't think he's there on merit alone. Probably a load of unsubstantiated nonsense from me (just for a change) but stranger things have happened... Maybe...

Yeh I noticed that, he made a lot of good runs and barely got the ball, had he been used I think they would have scored in the first half.  I saw it more as a pretty typical England thing of the regular clique not really liking new people, the likes of Sterling, Kane and Sancho having been playing together for like 1-2 years so its probably just that. Maybe also some big club ego because he's only from little old Southampton. 

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

Probably more the big time superstars wanting to show boat against supposedly inferior opponents trying to do the spectacular rather than simple. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints in the England Squad