Palace v Saints - Match and Reaction

John Boy Saint

Looks like Burnley away at the start of last season for me, we look off it in every position. Weirdly, it looks like we're on the beach.

No chance for Ings or Adams to get into the game, but you kinda want to see more from Adams in games like this?

Smallbone, completely unbalanced us in my opinion. It's like paying with 10 men. Credit to Palace, they're marking tightly and hitting us on the break. Very tricky as it stands to even see us creating a chance.

-If we are counting on Romeu to be a starter for the whole season in midfield then we are in big trouble.

-Right winger is not Smallbone’s position.

Again if Boufal leaves, we are very light in the winger position. As soon as we get an injury to Redmond or Armstrong, we will get found out.

1st half doesn’t bode well

Our play is too slow and we seem to have introduced diagonal balls since last season which can be a good tactic if Opposite teams are playing narrow.

• Like 1

Strange game, not sure anybody is playing badly but we're very narrow, Redmond and Smallbone barely involved. I worry without changes that Palace will just full-on defend and we'll be stuck passing it between our defence. 

Ralph to shake things up at HT, I'd like to see Djenepo on relatively soon too. We need to keep it on the floor more, faster passing and get it to Ings at his feet much more. 

Comfortable for Palace. Sitting in because they know we don't have a creative (small)bone in our body, and threatening on the break where their attackers have the legs on our defence.

Hasenhuttl must've known that's exactly how Palace would set up, yet we look bereft of ideas so far.

Hard to see how we turn this around - Palace will just keep on doing the same.

Just now, stevy777_x said:

-If we are counting on Romeu to be a starter for the whole season in midfield then we are in big trouble.

-Right winger is not Smallbone’s position.

Again if Boufal leaves, we are very light in the winger position. As soon as we get an injury to Redmond or Armstrong, we will get found out.

1st half doesn’t bode well

Our play is too slow and we seem to have introduced diagonal balls since last season which can be a good tactic if Opposite teams are playing narrow.

Romeu is ok, but I do agree that his position is where the money needs to go. Someone with a bit of a 'box to box' nature about them, we lack that drive and power from CM.

Smallbone cannot play the Armstrong role. Hopefully throw Moussa on in the 2nd half and scrap the Smallbone idea.

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Long up top would give us an option to play it in the air, Adams hasn't even touched it has he?

Apart from that lovely little touch through to Ings during the first ten minutes, he's not had any service so far.

I know we're missing Armstrong, but Smallbone looks like a weak link there to me. 

Very disappointing goal to concede. I'll take nothing away from Zaha for the finish, but we got caught napping when the ball broke to Townsend, and we left him completely unmarked at the back post. Unforgivable really.

We've had 72% possession. We never, ever win games with that much possession. Palace are rigid in their defensive formation, and we don't have any ideas or anybody with any real dribbling skill to break through and get in behind. Same as it has been for the last few years now.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Apart from that lovely little touch through to Ings during the first ten minutes, he's not had any service so far.

I know we're missing Armstrong, but Smallbone looks like a weak link there to me. 

Very disappointing goal to concede. I'll take nothing away from Zaha for the finish, but we got caught napping when the ball broke to Townsend, and we left him completely unmarked at the back post. Unforgivable really.

We've had 72% possession. We never, ever win games with that much possession. Palace are rigid in their defensive formation, and we don't have any ideas or anybody with any real dribbling skill to break through and get in behind. Same as it has been for the last few years now.

I don't think Smallbone has been great but he's been miles better than Redmond so far. Very worrying as Redmond has been very important to how we've been successful under Ralph.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Palace v Saints - Match and Reaction
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic