Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail

TWar

He’s a really, really good player. Add something to our midfield we don’t have in ability to drive with the ball and get us up the pitch. He also seems to have good energy about him. 

He’s youngish and newish to the league, so clearly isn’t the finished article, but I think he’ll develop in to a top player for us. Should someone like villa or Newcastle, put in a silly offer for JWP in the summer that we feel we can’t turn down, I’d be more comfortable with Diallo stepping in. 

The key man for us not to lose is Romeu. I think JWP and Diallo can both play next to him but neither can play without him (I.e together, as was shown when he was out injured last season. I think they’re both a little lightweight together). 

Although, as it stands, I like the Dynamics of Romeu, Diallo, JWP in a midfield 3, I think they all offer different qualities that complement each other. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dman said:

He’s a really, really good player. Add something to our midfield we don’t have in ability to drive with the ball and get us up the pitch. He also seems to have good energy about him. 

He’s youngish and newish to the league, so clearly isn’t the finished article, but I think he’ll develop in to a top player for us. Should someone like villa or Newcastle, put in a silly offer for JWP in the summer that we feel we can’t turn down, I’d be more comfortable with Diallo stepping in. 

The key man for us not to lose is Romeu. I think JWP and Diallo can both play next to him but neither can play without him (I.e together, as was shown when he was out injured last season. I think they’re both a little lightweight together). 

Although, as it stands, I like the Dynamics of Romeu, Diallo, JWP in a midfield 3, I think they all offer different qualities that complement each other. 

👍

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Yeah, exactly how I see him really.

That's why I always felt in the summer that we needed cover for Romeu, as Diallo shouldn't be seen as that. We do struggle when Romeu is out as we have no replacements of his profile.

Edited by S-Clarke

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Good.  I really like him, he's been a solid signing who only hasn't played more because of the good form of those in front of him.  I also think the fact he can play as the progress CM or as a #10 gives some nice flexibility/depth.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Two years into a four year deal and I am still not sure if he is really good enough for the PL.

Probably one of the most disappointing players this season.

With Romeu he is ok, with JWP it just doesnt work and assuming JWP stays that doesnt bode well for Diallo.

Massive season coming up for him...if he is even still at Saints.

15 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Two years into a four year deal and I am still not sure if he is really good enough for the PL.

Probably one of the most disappointing players this season.

With Romeu he is ok, with JWP it just doesnt work and assuming JWP stays that doesnt bode well for Diallo.

Massive season coming up for him...if he is even still at Saints.

I watched a youtube video of him the other day playing for his previous club. It shows him breaking up play and then bursting into space to start breakaway attacks. Made opponents look slow. He looked small but strong. Dynamic. Basically everything he hasn't been since he got here, or certainly not this season. He has either lost his way, or the opponents and pace of the game here is too much for him. Not sure.

• Like 1

Definitely not good enough in my opinion. Reminds me in a way, of Jordi Clasie, insofar as I always expect a bit more from him, but he never quite lives up to it, if that makes sense. Loaning him out wouldn't be the worst option, with an option to buy, to whoever he goes to.

I really think Romeu will be one of the most difficult players to replace and from what I've seen, Diallo is definitely not the one.

• Like 1

On a related note, it still baffles me to this day that having narrowly missed out on Sangare to PSV - who is exactly the type of player we need with all the attributes we currently lack - we went for Diallo who is completely different in style and stature. I often wonder what would’ve been had we got the Sangare deal over the line. A midfield pairing of Sangare and JWP would have been great!

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

On a related note, it still baffles me to this day that having narrowly missed out on Sangare to PSV - who is exactly the type of player we need with all the attributes we currently lack - we went for Diallo who is completely different in style and stature. I often wonder what would’ve been had we got the Sangare deal over the line. A midfield pairing of Sangare and JWP would have been great!

Thought Sangare failed to get a work permit to come here? Might be wrong.

2 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

He’s not robust enough for the premier league.

The amount of times he is out muscled to the ball is ridiculous. 
sangare was the player we needed so we went a purchased diallo .. that’s on Ralph. 

Sangare couldn't get a work permit 

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

He’s not robust enough for the premier league.

The amount of times he is out muscled to the ball is ridiculous. 
sangare was the player we needed so we went a purchased diallo .. that’s on Ralph. 

Diallo reminds me a bit of Jordy Clasie. For the first year or two they were here, the more optimistic fans said, hopefully, that they just needed a bit more time to adjust to the Premier League. But, basically, they just weren't suited to it. 

• Like 2

Diallo hasn’t been played in his natural / best position. 

He was brought as a backup / replacement for Romeu, however he’s more realistically a back up / replacement for JWP. 

I like him, given a run of games next to a proper DM, I think he would add something different to our midfield. 

I think people were expecting a knock off Kante when he signed, he’s absolutely not that. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chez said:

I watched a youtube video of him the other day playing for his previous club. It shows him breaking up play and then bursting into space to start breakaway attacks. Made opponents look slow. He looked small but strong. Dynamic. Basically everything he hasn't been since he got here, or certainly not this season. He has either lost his way, or the opponents and pace of the game here is too much for him. Not sure.

I believe that is the issue, premier league midfielders are progressively becoming  bigger, stronger and quicker. Stating the bleeding obvious we are generally too small, too light and too slow in midfield for the modern game, and he is the smallest and lightest of the bunch. 

I think Diallo (and our team for that matter) needs to play in a midfield of three. He is not suited to Ralph's daft playbook and, along with his team mates, gets swamped and over run in a midfield of two. Still believe Diallo is a far better footballer than our manager and coaches have managed to make him look. Unfortunately that is a recurring theme throughout the side.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I believe that is the issue, premier league midfielders are progressively becoming  bigger, stronger and quicker. Stating the bleeding obvious we are generally too small, too light and too slow in midfield for the modern game, and he is the smallest and lightest of the bunch. 

I notice that you don't say he is the slowest and that's his saving grace I feel. A bit more strength would serve him well as he's not a hopeless case, like Djenepo, for example.

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Spot on. We need some tall, strong athletes with a bit of pace and power about them. A few of them in our box defending corners and free kicks might also reduce the free headers that regularly end up in our net.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I notice that you don't say he is the slowest and that's his saving grace I feel. A bit more strength would serve him well as he's not a hopeless case, like Djenepo, for example.

The worry is Djnepo looked quite good initially, as did Diallo, but they both look borderline hopeless cases now. 

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

I think Diallo (and our team for that matter) needs to play in a midfield of three. He is not suited to Ralph's daft playbook and, along with his team mates, gets swamped and over run in a midfield of two. Still believe Diallo is a far better footballer than our manager and coaches have managed to make him look. Unfortunately that is a recurring theme throughout the side.

Got to agree with this.  I think a 4-3-3 is one of the formations we have used least often this season and it seems to be one which we have good suitability for given the current squad.  I think the idea of OR, JWP and ID as a 3 is fairly strong when we need to be defensive, and we can swap ID for Stu when we need to be a bit more attacking.  IMO the front three should always contain Che to hold the ball up but can then feature a variety of other attackers depending on the opponent. We can still get width from the full backs with one of the midfield three covering them if they get caught upfield.

• Like 2

Agree with the alot of above.

Think it's also been difficult for him to find any rhythm with the inconsistent game time. I don't think he started more than 3 games in a row. He drops in for a few games when someone is injured. Or he comes on as a sub (often out of position).  

That's not particularly anybody's fault.
As mentioned, he's more of a JWP replacement, just unfrtunate for him that JWP is incredibly durable and has missed only 2 PL games in the two seasons Diallo has been here. 

1 hour ago, Neef said:

Agree with the alot of above.

Think it's also been difficult for him to find any rhythm with the inconsistent game time. I don't think he started more than 3 games in a row. He drops in for a few games when someone is injured. Or he comes on as a sub (often out of position).  

That's not particularly anybody's fault.
As mentioned, he's more of a JWP replacement, just unfrtunate for him that JWP is incredibly durable and has missed only 2 PL games in the two seasons Diallo has been here. 

I think this is an underrated factor with any player or team playing in the Premier League. It definitely takes a few games to become familiar with the pace and rhythm. I suggest this may also be a considerration with othe players in Saints team, particularly Adam Armstrong.

As for Diallo, I agree with the comment above that he is never a Romeo replacement. Furtherr forward is his place IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I enjoyed the way he skipped passed the player in the build up to the second goal. Allowed the move to happen

Yup - if he doesn't break the lines and go past his man, the space doesn't open up for the rest of the move. That kind of ball-carrying in centre mid is unfortunately what we lack when we've got JWP and Romeu in the middle (luckily Lavia seems to be able to do it too).

He struggled in the first half, but that was expected as he's had very little game time. 2nd half though, even more so when Lavia went off, he was excellent. Good energy, good on the ball - and made a telling contribution to our second goal too.

You can understand why we're keeping him and letting Romeu leave. We need mobility throughout the team and he certainly gives us that, he can be a little weak at times though - that's my only concern.

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He struggled in the first half, but that was expected as he's had very little game time. 2nd half though, even more so when Lavia went off, he was excellent. Good energy, good on the ball - and made a telling contribution to our second goal too.

You can understand why we're keeping him and letting Romeu leave. We need mobility throughout the team and he certainly gives us that, he can be a little weak at times though - that's my only concern.

He is probably the sort of player who would benefit from an extended run in the first team. Not really sure he has had that much of a consecutive run. He might get that if Oriel moves on, as we might need to rotate more with Lavia.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Completely unsuited as a 6.  Could see him being better in a team that values the ball but he's not a destroyer and just not a match for any position in the team.

He works better in a 3, in a more advanced position. But as a 'two' in a sitting midfield alongside JWP he will get destroyed. As he has done every time he's played there.

I guess he's had to play there out of need as Lavia and AMN (i guess) are injured. When Lavia and AMN are fit I'd expect him to be 4th choice for the 6, but he can play in the more advanced positions - but his lack of physicality is still a problem as he gets brushed off the ball too easily.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He works better in a 3, in a more advanced position. But as a 'two' in a sitting midfield alongside JWP he will get destroyed. As he has done every time he's played there.

I guess he's had to play there out of need as Lavia and AMN (i guess) are injured. When Lavia and AMN are fit I'd expect him to be 4th choice for the 6, but he can play in the more advanced positions - but his lack of physicality is still a problem as he gets brushed off the ball too easily.

Sums it up. Not a holding midfielder, but we play him as one.

The current midfield pairing of Diallo and JWP is not going to cut the mustard at this level - no pace or power in your engine room is a sure fire way to get over run by most teams at this level which means you'll win few matches. At the moment neither of them are playing anywhere near well enough to warrant holding down a place in midfield. We look very short of options without Lavia especially if Ralph feels AMN isn't ready to start which is basically what he's said. 

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, saintant said:

The current midfield pairing of Diallo and JWP is not going to cut the mustard at this level - no pace or power in your engine room is a sure fire way to get over run by most teams at this level which means you'll win few matches. At the moment neither of them are playing anywhere near well enough to warrant holding down a place in midfield. We look very short of options without Lavia especially if Ralph feels AMN isn't ready to start which is basically what he's said. 

I’m not sure what JWP can do, he surrounded by the weakest midfield I have ever seen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I’m not sure what JWP can do, he surrounded by the weakest midfield I have ever seen. 

Yes and currently he is part of the problem. A full England international needs to be offering far more than he has so far this season. I can only think he is playing with a slight knock which is hampering his mobility because sadly he is nowhere near up to speed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Yes and currently he is part of the problem. A full England international needs to be offering far more than he has so far this season. I can only think he is playing with a slight knock which is hampering his mobility because sadly he is nowhere near up to speed.

Good point about his mobility, as he seemed less mobile than he usually is. Some of his passing was laboured and not clean, he gave so many hospital passes and misplaced ones.

But sticking up for him a little, he had so much ground to cover. He had to cover for KWP when he went forward, he had to cover for Diallo at all times as he's not good enough - so he struggled as the makeup of the team was just all wrong. 

We spent last season with the criticism that we had no one to really replace Romeu when he missed games, so the club went and got in Lavia - positive. But then the club go and sell Romeu so we're back to square one. Strange one.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail