Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail

TWar

19 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Diallo just doesn't seem suited to the sitting/breaking up play role. When he's looked at his most effective it is when he is driving forward with the ball.

Yep, nothing has changed. He and JWP still can’t play together. 

3 hours ago, HKsaint said:

We need Wanyama and Schneiderlin partnership 

And i think JWP played right midfield whilst they were in the  middle,and actually played with more of an attacking mindset, might have had something to do with the manager 2015 Koeman or just a better all round team?

• 3 weeks later...

We desperately needed him to blossom, but I don't see any improvement from year to year. He is so lightweight. With his build, he ought to be snapping at the heels of opponents, turning over ball and driving into space (which is what he did in France), but the game just happens around him. I don't know what he does well. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He isn't a terrible player, but the most unsuited CM you could find for the PL.

I think possibly, in the right system, alongside the right players, he could be an asset, and actually I think you could say the same thing about a lot of our players, but we cannot rely on him as a DM. He has talent there is no doubt, but give me Romeu every day…

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think possibly, in the right system, alongside the right players, he could be an asset, and actually I think you could say the same thing about a lot of our players, but we cannot rely on him as a DM. He has talent there is no doubt, but give me Romeu every day…

It was obvious last season he wasn't a DM, so I'm surprised we're still trying to flog him in the 6.

Lack of options for sure, but someone at the club in the summer must have said ''don't worry about losing Romeu, we do have Diallo''. That's a concern.

I think as a 3, with him further advanced, he could be an option. He's good technically, sharp, good agility, good pace, he's just weak as all hell and is eaten up in a 2 (that will never change).

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I agree. I look back to the times whenever I have thought "There's a decent footballer there", and it's been when he is playing forward. I don't know why he would be considered a defensive midfielder. As for him being "too lightweight" - Chez, above, - it never seems to have hampered Ngolo Kante. Now, there's a player I would like to see in Saints ranks.

We have similar thoughts, S-Clarke!

Edited by Piran
Just saw SClarke's reply.

2 minutes ago, Piran said:

I agree. I look back to the times whenever I have thought "There's a decent footballer there", and it's been when he is playing forward. I don't know why he would be considered a defensive midfielder. As for him being "too lightweight" - Chez, above, - it never seems to have hampered Ngolo Kante. Now, there's a player I would like to see in Saints ranks.

Kante whilst small has a decent physical presence, he's a strong guy. 

On top of Diallo's small height, he's very, very slight physicality and doesn't have much meat to him.

Edited by S-Clarke

He's 5'10'' according to most sources, I wouldn't say that's particularly small. Kante is 5'5''. In comparison JWP is 5'8'' and Lavia is only 5'11'' so only an inch taller than Diallo. He doesn't look meaty though, easily pushed off the 

Do we even have a DM in the B team? Finnigan? We really are limited for options there with Lavia out so it's Diallo or AMN until he's back.

• 9 months later...
26 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Orsic, Diallo and Lyanco gone permanently is a good start. Crazy that there’s still 7/8 you’d want to shift.

It would be hilarious if we managed to get the fee to pay for Charles from the Qataris for Diallo.

Obviously Diallo needed to be shipped out as he had no positive impact when on the field however he was never played in the right position imo. He's not a CDM. When he was paired with Romeu he was more effective. His partnership with JWP was non existent and truly awful. I remember his performance at SMS v Liverpool in his first season. We lost 1-0 I think but he was excellent. We never saw that level of performance again really. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail

He never seemed to progress or deliver on the potential he was supposed to have.

I think JWP being super fit, prevented him getting played regularly in a position he would have preferred. And when opportunities did fall his way, he never really looked like pushing on, or looking effective in any of the tactics (as shambolic as they were). He was particularly unsuited at covering for Romeu's absence.

I hope we managed to get a fee for him. But he's one less player filling out a large squad.

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Obviously Diallo needed to be shipped out as he had no positive impact when on the field however he was never played in the right position imo. He's not a CDM. When he was paired with Romeu he was more effective. His partnership with JWP was non existent and truly awful. I remember his performance at SMS v Liverpool in his first season. We lost 1-0 I think but he was excellent. We never saw that level of performance again really. 

We won 1-0 and it was the infamous moment where Ralph was on his knees crying in an empty stadium lol. Diallo was superb, barely gave Thiago a kick all game. Pity he didnt do much else the rest of his time here. Charles is already an upgrade.

5 minutes ago, M271 said:

Unfortunately he is yet another player that the club failed to get the best out of through poor coaching, management and tac tics.

Probably true but he should have been able to pass to someone in a red and white shirt more often than he did. 

• Like 1

I think the issue with Diallo was he was an 8, and a) we never really play with an 8 and b) the nearest to it was the role JWP played, who famously never misses a minute.

Picking JWP over Diallo was clearly correct but it meant Diallo never got a run of games in his best position. He was either in as a 6 or out wide which he was never suited to.

As with a lot of saints players in the last couple of years his confidence began to ebb and then he lost all form so when he did play (still in the wrong position) he was a shell of the player we first saw and could have had.

He is now not good enough and needs to go, but his deterioration is as much on us as it is on him IMHO.

I wish him the best and hope we stop doing this to players under the new manager.

• Like 2

Everyone off to Saudi Arabia. How long before their league surpasses the Premier League as the "best league in the world". The way it's going it will be awash with money against which Sky might find it impossible to compete.

At the moment only second rate players are going their often at the end of their careers but momentum is building and once a few world class stars go there it may be game over for the European leagues.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Everyone off to Saudi Arabia. How long before their league surpasses the Premier League as the "best league in the world". The way it's going it will be awash with money against which Sky might find it impossible to compete.

At the moment only second rate players are going their often at the end of their careers but momentum is building and once a few world class stars go there it may be game over for the European leagues.

He's going to Qatar?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What?!?! Its an absolute non starter. This is sports washing and an attempt to build interest and tourism in Saudi Arabia - the money is good because no one wants to go there and that will never change whilst the saudi's run around dismembering the free press in various international embassies or funding civil wars in yemen etc. Jude bellingham joined Real (in the face of better pay options), the lanky Robot boy is at Man City, and Mbappe is at PSG... That's your three best players in world football in the making (if not already) - and i reckon that no young player with a serious love of the game grows holds a dream of playing and living in a league with no history/prestige and in a desert country with one of the worst human rights records in the world... They're signing old players or the ones only in it for the money. Its no threat at all to the premier league or europe, and if anything its benefitting those leagues as they're getting paid silly money for old players to improve their squads.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

What?!?! Its an absolute non starter. This is sports washing and an attempt to build interest and tourism in Saudi Arabia - the money is good because no one wants to go there and that will never change whilst the saudi's run around dismembering the free press in various international embassies or funding civil wars in yemen etc. Jude bellingham joined Real (in the face of better pay options), the lanky Robot boy is at Man City, and Mbappe is at PSG... That's your three best players in world football in the making (if not already) - and i reckon that no young player with a serious love of the game grows holds a dream of playing and living in a league with no history/prestige and in a desert country with one of the worst human rights records in the world... They're signing old players or the ones only in it for the money. Its no threat at all to the premier league or europe, and if anything its benefitting those leagues as they're getting paid silly money for old players to improve their squads.

Absolutely this. The leauge may be forking out massive amounts of money to the players, but that doesn't build a league anyone is going to care about. I can't imagine there are many people who will back a specific team (or even be able to name them) and follow the league. For me it sits alongside the smaller cricket franchise leagues. If it is being shown on a channel I already pay for, I might watch to see if there is a familiar face, but I won't watch for more than a minute or two, and I certainly won't care about it.

As for Diallo, I think there is a tidy midfielder in there, but not suited to the English game or the level required.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I couldn't give a monkies to be honest!

England will always have its football pyramid and we will always support Saints. None of us are ever going to support, or even take an interest, in the likes of à Duhail.  If that league did take off then I wouldn't care one bit as it would probably help level the playing field here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Good riddance, awful footballer. Whoever scouted him for us wants shooting.

to be fair (and I am not one to usually hold back in criticising our scouting system), if you look at his youtube videos (yes I know), he is really impressive at Brest, breaking up the play and then bursting into space to start attacks. I am not sure what happened, but I didn't see any of that for us. He didn't break up the play very often and carrying the ball with purpose was totally non existent. In fact, when he first played for us, he just looked completely lost, as though he had never played centre midfield before. He didn't know where to stand, where to be and what to do. It was like a completely different player.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's no different than England chucking money around which the Spanish and Italian leagues have been complaining about for years. Just because now another league has even more money to spend is not a reason to throw toys out the pram given we've been doing it for years. 

30 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I couldn't give a monkies to be honest!

England will always have its football pyramid and we will always support Saints. None of us are ever going to support, or even take an interest, in the likes of à Duhail.  If that league did take off then I wouldn't care one bit as it would probably help level the playing field here. 

this. Not sure anyone in Europe is going to watch Saudi football. Maybe the masses of fans in Asia will follow their hero's and take a big chunk of the Prem TV money away, but who cares? The more money Sky etc pay the more the players earned. As fans we saw better players, but ticket prices rose accordingly.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Couldn't care less. Maybe they'll also buy Man Utd, Liverpool and other clubs and take all the things we all hate about the premier league with them, leaving us to support Saints and more enjoyable league football.

• Like 2