Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail

TWar

1 hour ago, hackedoff said:

Top post,however it does give me the same empty feeling that I felt when I found out Father Christmas didn't exist.

Lol - have to wait and see, and hope we’re not just buying the next player for Celtic, Royal Antwerp, Celta Vigo etc......

49 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I know we all moan but I genuinely do have more faith that Ralph wouldn’t let us sign any old shit like we have in the past. Djenepo, Adams, KWP and Salisu are his only signings so far right? Personally i’m a big fan of the first three (appreciate jury is still out for some) and Salisu comes with a lot of optimism. I don’t see us signing a Hoedt or Carrillo under Ralph, more likely we would prefer not to sign anyone at all. Thus I do get quite excited when we have new arrivals under him, but i’m sure i’m setting myself up for disappointment now!

Danso? Albeit a loan signing. 

2 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

Really interesting 20 minute podcast all about Diallo right here: https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/the-players-podcast-8-ibrahima-diallo-brest/

Don't want to tempt fate, but sounds vv promising.

Interesting that the guy on there first noticed him in a game battling well against Sangare, who he called a physical beast and seems to rate highly but said Diallo impressed. 

35 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Looks like a good all-rounder. Likes to track and get stuck in but positive on the ball and not just taking the easy option.

As we all know, though, these videos should generally be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about him, as I don't. From what I have read and seen on videos etc, he seems to be the player we need.

Pace and the energy to get us up the pitch and counter attack, but also the pace to get back and recover the ball due to the pressing and high line we play. He also looks like he can play a long pass to set up a quick attack.

Time will tell, but at the figure quoted, he could be a bargain.

2 hours ago, benjii said:

Looks like a good all-rounder. Likes to track and get stuck in but positive on the ball and not just taking the easy option.

As we all know, though, these videos should generally be taken with a pinch of salt.

Well they managed to get a video reel of 9 minutes of him doing his stuff, certainly looks the part, looks hard working.

The proof of the pudding will be after a dozen games in the Premier League.

i like this:

Diallo will not have any visa issues and will not have to self quarantine for 14 days providing he tests negative after a COVID-19 test as he is coming from an elite sports environment.

He can enter the training ground to finalise his move and could potentially play on Sunday although he is unlikely to feature due to the lack of training time with the club.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12087775/ibrahima-diallo-southampton-agree-12m-deal-for-stade-brestois-midfielder

So tired of waiting weeks (months)  to see new signings on the pitch.

Edited by SaintTex

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

He’s French. Huge racial stereotype... but the French aren’t known for lacking in the ego department 😉

Don't worry, that's definitely not a racial stereotype.

On Diallo - he looks a good prospect. Give him time I'm sure he'll be a good fit.

7 hours ago, saintroyt said:

Nope because the so called ITK Really are not and never have been,The only facts to believe are the official announcementS by the club.Christ if you take on board the bilge that some self indulgent so called fans dribble on about with fabricated  statements and have the fucking deluded vision they are supporters? finally when they are throwing insults at each other via this media can they just take their spat to face book or Twitter so the masses don't have to suffer the bitching match.

There are real ITK's on here, you just have to spot them. I know who to listen to and believe, including Team News Appy & LeG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Hope we get this one over the line - sounds like just what we need and seems to fit Ralph’s style. Sangare was a back up for this guy I reckon. Sessegnon on loan now as well hopefully next. Hoedt looks like he is finally on his way and Gunn needs to move out on loan as Herman Munster won’t shift. Still light in the forwards department but have to hope our three stay fit.

Herman Munster 😂😂😂😂

Probably shows why he was seemingly further up the list, though why he is cheaper is baffling.

We also don't really know what roles each player has been asked to play, Sangare may have been further up the pitch in a more advanced role with the other asked more to sit and protect. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not yet but I'll say if I do. 

When end of this season? How many years left on the UA deal? I assume there is a break?

I can only assume we feel we can get more somewhere else now, would love Hummel

10 hours ago, Giuseppe9! said:

They are both pretty similar as defenders but Sangare is just better when attacking 

Sagare stats suggest he gets the ball back and like Hoj did, gives it straight back to the opposition. Diallo keeps it. Whats xA on that wagon wheel? 

35 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

When end of this season? How many years left on the UA deal? I assume there is a break?

I can only assume we feel we can get more somewhere else now, would love Hummel

New owners bringing better profile and bigger deal ..................wishful thinking

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Speaking of which, we are dumping under armor in case anyone was wondering. 

Any idea what the primary reason(s) is/are for doing so? (assumption would be it's just a run-of-the-mill commercial decision but it could be connected to something more 'juicy' going on behind the scenes I guess...)

Cheers

Edited by trousers

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

Sagare stats suggest he gets the ball back and like Hoj did, gives it straight back to the opposition. Diallo keeps it. Whats xA on that wagon wheel? 

It's the likelihood of getting assists based on their general play.

For all that Diallo will give the ball away less, he'll make us a more defensive team and we may find it harder to build attacks.

Expect people on here to complain that he only does short sideways passes

What he does in games doesn't necessarily mean what he is capable of. I think JWP has a pretty poor pass completion rate but that is not really because he is a bad passer its because Ralph asks him to play quick direct balls forward that are often low percentage because even if you lose it they press to win it back high up the pitch. 

What I like about this guy is it seems he is very quick (whereas none of Hojberg, JWP or Romeu are fast) so he can recover quickly to help protect the defence more and help break on the transition, but also it seems he is good at dribbling out with the ball which will help break through the lines and start attacks, its something Ralph had at Leipzig with Keita but we've never really had a player who could do that aside maybe Lemina who was too lazy/arrogant/inconsistent. 

Edited by tajjuk

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

What I like about him is that he seems to have a good footballing brain - he covers players that have gone forward ie he’ll cover the gaps left by Bertie and KWP.

In the couple of videos I've watched, he always seems to be in the 'right place' to either win the ball or cover for his teammates, so like you said I think that shows that he has a good understanding of the game and good awareness. He doesn't look like a 'Lemina - stand back, it's all about me' type of player. Yet he looks as good running with the ball as Lemina.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In the couple of videos I've watched, he always seems to be in the 'right place' to either win the ball or cover for his teammates, so like you said I think that shows that he has a good understanding of the game and good awareness. He doesn't look like a 'Lemina - stand back, it's all about me' type of player. Yet he looks as good running with the ball as Lemina.

I’ve only seen the YouTube* stuff but totally agree - only time will tell I suppose but on first impressions I’m on board.

*not so easy to make a 21 year old DM look good as say a 28 year old CF.

Worth noting for the Sangare vs Diallo comparisons that Toulouse were an absolutely laughing stock in the league and finished the season with 3 wins and 21 losses. From what I understand Sangare was basically their only good player and had to do everything. He has more prog passes per game as pretty much everything went through him. Diallo played in a comfortable mid table side and had players around him who could also pass and progress the ball so wasn't required to launch as many attacks whilst also defending.

Stats which are done by success % have far more comparable results.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ibrahima Diallo - Official: Signs for Al Duhail
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic