Premier League Rip Off

Convict Colony

I dont know why Saints fans are paying for sky sports et all anyway as hardly any games are shown and all youre doing is financing the top six clubs. 

Its not part of the original package subscribers paid for so its duty bound to cost money as its not free bills for rights holders.

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct.

I posted on a thread during lockdown when people were praising the Premier league for having free to air games, that we should be carful what we wish for. The 3pm live games, every game live, and now this, it’s all heading in one direction and even broadcasters need to beware of the long term. The end game is The premier league streaming every game themselves ,but the real sting in the tail will be the distribution of the money for these games. Manchester Utd will keep their subscription money and Saints will keep theirs, within 5 years the differences in revenue between them will be as big as match day revenue is now. With one crucial difference, they’ll be no TV money to redress the balance. 

Excellent post and echoes my thoughts. My only caveat is that the smaller clubs would have been turkeys voting for Christmas unless they had some reassurance that it wouldn't go that way. Either way, I ain't paying 15 quid to watch a match on TV. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I dont know why Saints fans are paying for sky sports et all anyway as hardly any games are shown and all youre doing is financing the top six clubs. 

Its not part of the original package subscribers paid for so its duty bound to cost money as its not free bills for rights holders.

I’ve got SS 60% for the F1 and about 20% each for football and cricket. If I’m not actually there in the stadium, I sometimes enjoy the none Saints games more than our own. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’ve got SS 60% for the F1 and about 20% each for football and cricket. If I’m not actually there in the stadium, I sometimes enjoy the none Saints games more than our own. 

Like you I watch many sports on Sky not just football, probably watching on average 20 hours a week, now that I am retired. I also have BT but apart from Premier League and European Cup football I only watch some baseball and rallying.

I'm a nervous wreck watching Saints on TV (I'm OK when I'm at a match) but can relax and enjoy TV matches involving other teams.

Back to the subject, part of the agreement for this should have been to air live within the current subscription the same amount of matches for each club going forward. I won't be paying the £14.95 to watch our matches but for those that will it is unfair to expect fans of teams like Saints to pay for far more matches than say Man U or Liverpool fans.

29 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

This.............£13 for my lad and I to watch Witton Albion

I'm not so far away from you and I have been to watch Nantwich Town during International breaks or when Saints aren't playing. Good grass roots football.

people forget that saints will only get part of the fee. If £15 the  broadcasters take their cut for supplying the equipment etc , not just one camera etc, then i assume the away club gets their cut i suspect we get a £5. Crikey what do we expect saints have a very expensive mouth to feed. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Get up Sholing on Tuesday night. FA Cup 3rd round qualifier against Walton Casuals. £10 to get in and you can drink a beer by the side of the pitch. 

I'm thinking of going to watch Bashley , only 2 mins down the road from me .

14 hours ago, simo said:

I'd rather spend that 15 quid to go watch a local non league team . 

Ditto - Sholing in the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying round on Tuesday night £10 for adults, £4 for nippers, and free for U12.

They need the money way, way more than the Premier League, Sky or BT.

3 hours ago, OldNick said:

people forget that saints will only get part of the fee. If £15 the  broadcasters take their cut for supplying the equipment etc , not just one camera etc, then i assume the away club gets their cut i suspect we get a £5. Crikey what do we expect saints have a very expensive mouth to feed. 

The equipment would be there anyway for MOTD and rest of the world coverage.

On 09/10/2020 at 20:59, Marching Halos said:

I got £21 refunded for the Tottenham game (adult ticket)...so I save £6 a game "a lot less" my ass. You wouldn't pay cinema prices to watch at home. 

But with Sky you can even pay on the nose and pay cinema prices at home. You underestimate the greed of Rupert Murdoch. 💷💷💷

£15 to watch the latest films like ‘Ava’ with Jessica Chastain. It could be on in the cinema. Bringing the cinema experience to your front room...but not. 🙌🏼

“it’s like a family trip to the cinema, in your front room”. Basically nothing like the cinema. Just another overpriced, pimped up Sky Store rental but even Sky’s marketing fails to add appeal to justify the £15 price tag to simply rent a new movie.  I’d rather save that sort of money for a much better cinema experience at Showcase - a real cinema - which is infinitely more immersive. 

I only recently paid for BT sport for the rip of monthly price of £25 (missed the £10 deals) rolling contract because of all the live games.

So, to see the additional cost of £15 to see Saints on BT PPV is an utter f***in’ p*** take. 🛎🔚 Especially when you consider it favours the big clubs, as everyone has so rightly pointed out. 

I think I may cancel my BT subscription entirely if this is the case. I’ll keep Sky as the coverage is way better & UHD. 

Live streams are a hacking/spyware delight and they are always dropping off but I might consider that if I can find a good link. The money hungry sports broadcasters seem to be more adept at shutting them all down. 🤬

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 15:48, Totton Saint said:

I think it is disgusting when so many jobs are at risk and so many people are in lockdown that our welcome release of tension by watching PL  football on TV is being seized on as a way of exploiting the situation by charging £15

Couldn’t agree more. For once I thought the world was pulling together to offer the public some much-needed light & a mental boost during these arduous times. I almost praised the rich broadcasters for giving a little back to society. Stupid romantic daydreamer I am. 

I knew it wouldn’t last & it felt too good to be true. Nothing comes for free in this western world of capitalism and greed and profit comes before everything. Even protecting our planet 🌍 

On 10/10/2020 at 13:35, SaintsLoyal said:

The matches were split equally between the BBC, Amazon, Sky and BT Sport.

Or, they were until this weekend. 

BT and Sky told the Premier League the cost of PPV would need to be £14.95. The PL werent given the choice of any other price points by the broadcasters.

You would have thought they would have learned from their attempts at PPV at the beginning of the 2000's, but hey ho, They've brought their own coffin.

• Like 1

I don't really buy into the outrage at the PPV concept or cost.  If you have already paid for Sky or BT then you know that (in normal times) not every game will be broadcast live so you weren't expecting to see every Saints game as part of your package.  The end of last season was an anomoly in that the relevant parties got together and agreed to broadcast every game but there was no agreement that would continue for ever and the clubs had to pay money back to the broadcasters as part of the deal.  £15 PPV is not compulsory so like all things if you don't think it's good value don't pay it, just wait for MOTD. 

On 10/10/2020 at 10:51, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct.

I posted on a thread during lockdown when people were praising the Premier league for having free to air games, that we should be carful what we wish for. The 3pm live games, every game live, and now this, it’s all heading in one direction and even broadcasters need to beware of the long term. The end game is The premier league streaming every game themselves ,but the real sting in the tail will be the distribution of the money for these games. Manchester Utd will keep their subscription money and Saints will keep theirs, within 5 years the differences in revenue between them will be as big as match day revenue is now. With one crucial difference, they’ll be no TV money to redress the balance. 

I've always thought you post a lot of merde but think you're on the mark with this one.

It's good to see the recent proposals by Liverpool and Manchester United being turned down by the other clubs: basically showing that they don't trust them. The proposals, in the longer term, are really not for the general good of football. We really don't want a Bayern or Juventus situation; far better to be able to have the sort of result Aston Villa achieved the other day, or Leicester the otrher season, to the delight I reckon of every neutral football fan.

27 minutes ago, Alanh said:

I don't really buy into the outrage at the PPV concept or cost.  If you have already paid for Sky or BT then you know that (in normal times) not every game will be broadcast live so you weren't expecting to see every Saints game as part of your package.  The end of last season was an anomoly in that the relevant parties got together and agreed to broadcast every game but there was no agreement that would continue for ever and the clubs had to pay money back to the broadcasters as part of the deal.  £15 PPV is not compulsory so like all things if you don't think it's good value don't pay it, just wait for MOTD. 

Generally agree but on big key point you miss off. 

Liverpool and United etc season ticket holders will know virtually all of their games will be shown on standard sky / BT and therefore covered by existing package cost. 

Last year we were only on 8 times, so for a saints fan to watch as many games live as a Liverpool fan this year we'll be paying a lot more. That doesn't seem right or fair. Only way to remedy that is for sky and BT to ensure all teams are shown the same number of times on standard package selections. 

• Like 2

cause its our national game, other countrys get every game as a choice every weekend, every single game in the EPL is shown live already, every single game for all 20 clubs, in some of these countrys you pay a 5er a month for EVERY GAME, some are on free to air tv channels, we have to pay a tv license fee + sky + bt + ppv for the same product... so yes i feel like i am being ripped off big time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mosin said:

cause its our national game, other countrys get every game as a choice every weekend, every single game in the EPL is shown live already, every single game for all 20 clubs, in some of these countrys you pay a 5er a month for EVERY GAME, some are on free to air tv channels, we have to pay a tv license fee + sky + bt + ppv for the same product... so yes i feel like i am being ripped off big time.

I feel blessed here in Western Australia, I see every Saints game live, every Champions league game, every National game, and all the re-runs I want.

1 hour ago, Mosin said:

The only bit you have to pay for is the TV license.  You can chose not to pay for Sky and BT and PPV.  If you do decide to pay for them you do so in the knowledge that not every match played will be broadcast live, so where is the problem? Following your logic of other countries getting what we can not get should their residents be complaining that they don't have the opportunity to buy a ticket and go to a game (when stadiums are open)?

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Generally agree but on big key point you miss off. 

Liverpool and United etc season ticket holders will know virtually all of their games will be shown on standard sky / BT and therefore covered by existing package cost. 

Last year we were only on 8 times, so for a saints fan to watch as many games live as a Liverpool fan this year we'll be paying a lot more. That doesn't seem right or fair. Only way to remedy that is for sky and BT to ensure all teams are shown the same number of times on standard package selections. 

Agreed that would be fair, but you aren't subscribing to a fair system, you are dealing with a semi regulated commercial system which will try to sell the most attractive package to get as many subscribers as possible.  I think 'fair' is a notional concept when the Premier League strikes TV rights deals.

Is it a rip off? On the face of it I don't like it, and I don't like the way top level football is going, but will it not provide some revenue to slightly offset the lack of gate receipts?  I don't think I will pay for it, I'd prefer to be at the game, but in the absence of being able to do that I'm ok with the old fashioned way of listening to Solent, just as exciting in its way.

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Is it a rip off? On the face of it I don't like it, and I don't like the way top level football is going, but will it not provide some revenue to slightly offset the lack of gate receipts?  I don't think I will pay for it, I'd prefer to be at the game, but in the absence of being able to do that I'm ok with the old fashioned way of listening to Solent, just as exciting in its way.

I agree with you, I don’t like the way the top leagues are heading, so much incomprehensible money.

Quite sure I read a report during the last year or two that Gate Receipts in the EPL make up the tiniest most minuscule percentage of clubs’ income now that they could probably all survive never seeing a fan ever again in their stadiums.

I doubt any Premier League football team have gaping holes in their finances because of the lack of fans - They certainly weren’t short, firing out over £1bn in transfer fees again this summer.

I understand £15 is less than what you’d expect to turn up at an EPL game and pay for a ticket, but during these times where people are being encouraged to stay at home, many struggling with loss of jobs and money, the least they could have offered, as such they did during lockdown, was sporting entertainment for free during the crisis until fans are allowed back into stadiums, it’s pure greed.

And presumably anyone that stumps up the cash will share the cost with several mates all turning up to watch, breaking the 6 persons in one place rule.

Seeing as ManU & Liverpool were proposing £250m to the EFL and the clubs eventually agreed on nearer £50m, maybe the big 2 would like to give £100m each to BT & Sky in return for them broadcasting these games for free. (They're going to need to do something to regain any modicum of respect from fans of the other 18 clubs).

In other news I'm just waiting for Elvis to fly past my house on a pig before going off to buy my Euromillions lotterty ticket

24 minutes ago, Saint Sanso said:

I haven't been able to find one that didn't require me to enter my card details for 'verification' purposes.

I got a lifetime pass from mania about three years ago and other than a couple of months of problems once, I've watched every game in virtual HD quality. 

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I fully assumed tonight's PL game (Villa/Leeds) was just a normal Sky 'Friday night football' fixture. But no, it's been nabbed as a PPV one.

This is ridiculous really.

Our game against Newcastle in a couple of weeks is now Friday. At home, on a Friday, Mid-autumn, live on Sky... what could go wrong.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I fully assumed tonight's PL game (Villa/Leeds) was just a normal Sky 'Friday night football' fixture. But no, it's been nabbed as a PPV one.

This is ridiculous really.

It does appear that PPV has replaced some of the usual SKY/BT subscription games. Are subscribers getting a worse deal now?

11 hours ago, the boy from saints said:

It does appear that PPV has replaced some of the usual SKY/BT subscription games. Are subscribers getting a worse deal now?

I believe that under the regular Sky/BT deal 5 matches of every round are televised across Friday to Monday. That hasn't changed but the other 5 matches are also on PPV and so are fitted in around the other games. I dont think the slot which is PPV is fixed every week.

• 2 weeks later...

Some positive news on this.

The 'PPV' idea has been scrapped, it won't return after the international games.

How they broadcast 'all the games' is still up for debate, but it looks very likely that it will be spread across the broadcasters as it was in summer (so no one has to pay any extra)