Premier League Rip Off

Convict Colony

• Convict Colony changed the title to BT and Sky Rip Off - Edit its the Premier League !!!

However you look at it - it still feels like a rip off! I already had Sky Sports and added BT Sports thinking my refunded season ticket money would cover the additional cost each month and stupidly thinking also that the various broadcasters would continue to show ALL the games live and free if you had the packages. 
Older but no wiser!

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Premier League Rip Off

Obviously we don’t have details but I would imagine part of what you pay will go to broadcasters like Sky & BT.  This will disproportionately affect fans of teams like saints who aren’t on tv as much though...

I won’t be paying regardless...

41 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Saints had the lowest amount of TV games last season, so it will affect our fans more than most, assuming that stays the same.

In 2018/2019 Saints on TV 8 times (which is actually less than the anumber of games stipulated in the TV contract), Liverpool 29 times. If these charges were for a whole season we would have to pay £448 on top of your BT/SkyAmazon subscriptions, Liverpool only £134 extra.

Edited by ray951

I balked at paying an addition $4.99 a month to get peacock so i could watch the saints game not on cable in the us. What has got worse this year is that games that were previously on TV, are no longer being shown when there is no other match also on. This has happened for a couple of our games so far this season. My problem is not the additional 5 bucks, but more the accumulation of subscriptions services if you want to see everything. $17 for Netflix, $10 for disney+, $10 for F1, $30 for Sling etc it all the competing services have diluted the offerings at each individual to make it no longer good value. To get a range of UK shows i am interested in I need, all the main platforms like Amazon , Hulu, Netflix, plus add ons, so it no longer is as good as what it used to be but I pay more. So I refuse to add another one.

Edited by Mystic Force

20 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Don't all rush at once :D

I think they've looked at people having a few extra quid from not going to games and based the pricing on undercutting that.

They've forgotten that everyone's been getting those games for nothing extra for months, and that watching games on TV even when the atmosphere on there isn't like a training game is a crap experience compared to being at the match.

Never mind that most people are looking at where they can reduce spending at the moment, on top of that, this just encourages people to group together to watch and split the cost. That's a fantastic idea during a global pandemic :facepalm:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Meh, it's a lot less than you pay for tickets to go and see the game in the ground. 

Yes £14.95 is approx 50% of the refund I get from my season ticket and 50% of what I would have paid to go to away games, with some of these away games being on TV anyway, so don’t have a problem with this, especially if you get a few friends around to watch games to chip (obviously no more than 6)

22 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Only Leicester voted against this. 

Fair play to them. Saints however; I have shelled out c£600 on season tickets(most premier league clubs haven't asked their fans to buy a product they can't use) and I now need to shell out possibly as much as £350 to watch our games on TV(all whilst I get my £600 drip fed back between now and May). Unfortunately I'm not on Premier league wages so that's difficult for me. I'm out - premier league and Saints greed makes me sick. ##nkers.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

I balked at paying an addition $4.99 a month to get peacock so i could watch the saints game not on cable in the us. What has got worse this year is that games that were previously on TV, are no longer being shown when there is no other match also on. This has happened for a couple of our games so far this season. My problem is not the additional 5 bucks, but more the accumulation of subscriptions services if you want to see everything. $17 for Netflix, $10 for disney+, $10 for F1, $30 for Sling etc it all the competing services have diluted the offerings at each individual to make it no longer good value. To get a range of UK shows i am interested in I need, all the main platforms like Amazon , Hulu, Netflix, plus add ons, so it no longer is as good as what it used to be but I pay more. So I refuse to add another one.

Yes it's crap that the increase of smaller streaming app services have nabbed the rights to shows that were once available on the mainstream Hulu and Netflix platforms. (ie Disney taking anything Marvel/Star Wars - HBOMax getting South Park/Studio Ghibli...etc) You need to invest in all these apps to get what you were used to getting. (For your UK shows, have you looked into getting BBC iplayer through a VPN?)

TBF, Peacock, which isn't perfect, is at least cheaper than the previous NBC Gold offering. For now.

That price is crazy expensive. Maybe 8 quid or something along those lines?

Those are the old Prem Plus prices, and that never worked because of the extortionate prices.

For fans who are paying around £50 p/m for BT Sport and Sky Sports shouldn't be expected to pay another £15 to watch additional matches, IMO. Even more so when fans have already paid for season tickets and won't receive those refunds until after the event.

• Like 5

15 quid is just hilariously expensive. It's like they want it to fail.

Paying 40 quid for Sky, then 10 quid for BT Sport, then paying extra for each sodding game. Just do one.

Dodgy streams here I come.

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

15 quid is just hilariously expensive. It's like they want it to fail.

Paying 40 quid for Sky, then 10 quid for BT Sport, then paying extra for each sodding game. Just do one.

Dodgy streams here I come.

10 quid for BT Sport? Try £27.99 p/m! then another £25 ish for Sky Sports.

No way do they need more money. 

9 hours ago, steve green said:

It's like the mp3 downloading muck up in the late 90s early 00s where by not providing reasonable avalibility at a reasonable cost the musi industry almost wrecked itself.

Seen a lot of people make this comparison since the PPV news was announced, and they’ve all said about how Apple and Spotify made the music so cheap it killed the need for illegal downloads. So like Simon jordan said If the Premier League did the same, and started a £10 a month Netflix style service around the world it would pretty much end the IPTV market and they’d probably make more money than they do currently.

• Like 1

Leicester were the only club to vote against this .

Its a rip off and it could encourage people to break the law .

I wouldn’t pay £14.95 to watch Saints in tv on my own. I would however chip in and watch it with mates in one house . 

44 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Seen a lot of people make this comparison since the PPV news was announced, and they’ve all said about how Apple and Spotify made the music so cheap it killed the need for illegal downloads. So like Simon jordan said If the Premier League did the same, and started a £10 a month Netflix style service around the world it would pretty much end the IPTV market and they’d probably make more money than they do currently.

I think the only difference is that it was incredibly easy to burn hundreds of albums off of Napster/Pirate Bay and the other ones back in the day.

In contrast, I've pretty much given up on streaming matches now because I've got a fed up of what seems to be a three or four month cycle of "ooh, this is working great" to "whats happened now" to then getting messages etc about "we're trying to fix it" and over complicated fixes from stroppy Latvian IT types.

Occasionally I use the links on the match threads here but get sick of the pop ups and the requests to sign up etc etc. Obviously when matches were everywhere during lockdown it wasn't too much of a problem anyway.

So I'm a sample of one but I'd say the football bods are doing a better job of fighting large scale piracy than the music industry did.

I never have a problem finding a decent stream.

The only way to stop this rip off is to not pay it. The view that "it's half the price of a match ticket" is exactly what they want you to think.

Watch a stream, or go and actually attend a Non-League game where your £15 means so much more to those clubs, many of who are properly struggling at the moment.

18 hours ago, qwertyell said:

They're setting the ground work for normalising charging you for a Sky/BT subscription and moving all the meaningful games to PPV once the pandemic has passed. This is the future.

Correct.

I posted on a thread during lockdown when people were praising the Premier league for having free to air games, that we should be carful what we wish for. The 3pm live games, every game live, and now this, it’s all heading in one direction and even broadcasters need to beware of the long term. The end game is The premier league streaming every game themselves ,but the real sting in the tail will be the distribution of the money for these games. Manchester Utd will keep their subscription money and Saints will keep theirs, within 5 years the differences in revenue between them will be as big as match day revenue is now. With one crucial difference, they’ll be no TV money to redress the balance. 

• Like 1

A lot of clubs are getting flack over this but I guess there’s a chance they didn’t realise how much the Premier League were going to charge. Perhaps they just said they were going to make  all the games PPV for a small charge and clubs expected it to be £7 or £8 rather than £15

Good article in Athletic and said that codes for ST holders discussed but too complicated as all clubs doing different things.

My IPTV is spot on and never miss a game. They are very underground now though and don’t advertise which is probably why so stable.

£15 is a rip off but presumably all Southampton pubs will pay it (unless licensing doesn’t allow) as you don’t need to to have BT or Sky subscriptions to partake. Get out there lads and spread the virus

20 minutes ago, whelk said:

My IPTV is spot on and never miss a game. They are very underground now though and don’t advertise which is probably why so stable.

They don't advertise because the service they are providing is illegal :lol:

It would be like your local drug dealer paying for sponsored posts on Instagram - an easy pointer for law enforcement. Everything is done by word of mouth.