Wolves vs Saints — Build-up

SuperSAINT

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Stuart Armstrong will miss Wednesday's game vs Israel due to getting booked today vs Slovakia.

Helps keep him fresh for Monday vs Wolves. 👍

Armstrong's  done well there as he didn't play on Thursday at all so just one game out of 3. I wonder if that was tactical of him, surely they won't make him travel to Israel for Wednesday game? 

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Why would he start? Adams and Walcott up front again. Armstrong and Djenepo/Redders on the wings.

Agreed. No need to start him yet assuming all are fit (excluding Danny Ings) and then if everything is going well, possibly introduce him late on for the experience and to protect/rest one of the others. A late goal from N'Lundulu would do wonders and definitely give us options if anyone else gets injured.

6 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Feels ages since we last played and still 5 days to go till this game....hopefully we have not lost too much momentum.  

I agree, hopefully we come in refreshed and full of confidence.  Also, my birthday is Monday so 3 points will be a great present indeed!😀

• Like 2

According to a local wolves fan Traore has a bit of a cob on and is holding back on his contract which doesn't impress their manager. Nor,I may add, the Wolves fans I know. This is a game we can win if we continue to press and keep them on the defensive.They have quite a few on international duty so they could be a little tired by Monday evening. It will be interesting to see what squad Ralph plays.Three more points will do me fine. COYS

20 hours ago, hasper57saint said:

According to a local wolves fan Traore has a bit of a cob on and is holding back on his contract which doesn't impress their manager. Nor,I may add, the Wolves fans I know. This is a game we can win if we continue to press and keep them on the defensive.They have quite a few on international duty so they could be a little tired by Monday evening. It will be interesting to see what squad Ralph plays.Three more points will do me fine. COYS

Now that's an expression my Cheshire family use too. :)

To be fair to Traore, his contract runs until 2022 but Wolves are pressing him to extend already. Think he is hoping the big 2 in Spain offer him something.

Yeah, their players have exerted themselves and may be tired, but equally they may be warmed up and our boys a bit match unfit.

On 19/11/2020 at 11:47, gsweet87 said:

Everytime we play Wolves i'm reminded of when we beat them 6-0 in the champo, and the Echo typoed Saganowski as Faganowski the next morning.

I can go back further than this to 18 September 1965 when we played a newly relegated Wolves team in Div 2

Wolves were doing OK and we were a goal down within 5 minutes.

However from there on in every shot at goal went in and I think we were 5-2 up at HT and scored our ninth with 15-20 minutes left with the crowd shouting 'We want 10' .

If my memory serves me correct we hit the woodwork at least twice in the closing stages so nearly reached the magical double figure.

A few of us went up to Molineux for the reverse fixture when Dave Webb scored on his debut.

We then went undefeated for the rest of the season and won our first ever promotion to the top division.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I can go back further than this to 18 September 1965 when we played a newly relegated Wolves team in Div 2

However from there on in every shot at goal went in and I think we were 5-2 up at HT and scored our ninth with 15-20 minutes left with the crowd shouting 'We want 10' .

If my memory serves me correct we hit the woodwork at least twice in the closing stages so nearly reached the magical double figure.

A few of us went up to Molineux for the reverse fixture when Dave Webb scored on his debut.

We then went undefeated for the rest of the season and won our first ever promotion to the top division.

We scored 9 in one game? A bit before my time....just about, but thanks for that memory anyway. So how come the commentators don't mention that at every bloody opportunity, just like they do when referring to the 0-9. I bet the 9-2 (against Wolves) game in 1965 doesn't get a mention on Monday night, but I bet the other one does.....at least 2 or 3 times.🙄

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

We scored 9 in one game? A bit before my time....just about, but thanks for that memory anyway. So how come the commentators don't mention that at every bloody opportunity, just like they do when referring to the 0-9. I bet the 9-2 (against Wolves) game in 1965 doesn't get a mention on Monday night, but I bet the other one does.....at least 2 or 3 times.🙄

It was 9-3

37 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

It was 9-3

I was at that game. If I recall correctly we were 0-1 down after 1 minute and all the goals were scored by the 60th minute.  The chant around The Dell was we want 10, but alas the goal never came. I think we also signed their goalie in the next season.  I can't recall more goals in a single game - I think 10 is the next highest.

3 hours ago, Phil63 said:

I was at that game. If I recall correctly we were 0-1 down after 1 minute and all the goals were scored by the 60th minute.  The chant around The Dell was we want 10, but alas the goal never came. I think we also signed their goalie in the next season.  I can't recall more goals in a single game - I think 10 is the next highest.

Less than a minute.

I got in the "Kiddies Choclate Box" just after 3pm, cheered what I thought was 2-0, only to be told by an older kid that I had missed a Tony Knapp og.

4 hours ago, Phil63 said:

Coventry 8-2 and also 5-5?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Did we not then buy their goalkeeper? Was it Montgomery? 

Usually enjoy seeing team selection predictions but they are thin on the ground at the moment, perhaps because most people feel the team picks itself when everyone is fit.  The position that looks like it's changed recently, is left midfield where Djenepo  seems to have replaced Redmond as first choice.  If Redmond has stepped up his performance in training, that could change but the first choice line-up, with Danny Ings injured, is probably:

McCarthy, Walker-Peters, Vestergaard. Bednarek, Bertrand, Ward Prowse, Romeu, Djenepo, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams.

Anyone disagree, and any thoughts on subs?

Beyond the rather aimless speculation about the team line-up or final score, I am quite looking forward to this match and will happily stump up the £9.99 fee to watch it uninterrupted by streaming problems. My hope is that we will pick up where we left off at SMS a couple of weeks ago and play the same fast open and exciting football that pulverised the Magpies. COYS!

28 minutes ago, Professor said:

Usually enjoy seeing team selection predictions but they are thin on the ground at the moment, perhaps because most people feel the team picks itself when everyone is fit.  The position that looks like it's changed recently, is left midfield where Djenepo  seems to have replaced Redmond as first choice.  If Redmond has stepped up his performance in training, that could change but the first choice line-up, with Danny Ings injured, is probably:

McCarthy, Walker-Peters, Vestergaard. Bednarek, Bertrand, Ward Prowse, Romeu, Djenepo, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams.

Anyone disagree, and any thoughts on subs?

Redmond might just get the nod this time depending on whether the international travel has affected Djenepo.

Subs: Forster, Stephens, Diallo, Tella, Redmond/Djenepo, N'Lundulu, Long

My renewed optimism seems to be accompanied with anxiety and an even more desperate desire for 3 points.

cant make out if I like this feeling more than fighting relegation or mid table mediocrity. 
Perhaps I’m expecting too much....I need to temper my expectations,but I bloody don’t really want to. 
Im desperate for a win tonight...just to show our form is not a flash in the pan. 
we’ve been so bloody good since the restart last season. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 2

• Wolves have lost just one of the past eight league meetings(against Saints), winning four and drawing three.
  • They are unbeaten in 22 home fixtures against teams outside the established top six since a 2-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in January 2019.
  • Saints are winless in their past 12 Premier League fixtures on a Monday.

feeling good about this one.🤣

Edited by skintsaint

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

My renewed optimism seems to be accompanied with anxiety and an even more desperate desire for 3 points.

cant make out if I like this feeling more than fighting relegation or mid table mediocrity. 
Perhaps I’m expecting too much....I need to temper my expectations,but I bloody don’t really want to. 
Im desperate for a win tonight...just to show our form is not a flash in the pan. 

Good summary. Saved me some typing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

Redmond might just get the nod this time depending on whether the international travel has affected Djenepo.

I think we start with redmond and change for Djenepo on 60/70 mins as I personally think redmond offers more defensively 

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

I know the feeling.

Being positive: We're playing really well and there is no reason why we can't keep that form going into this game.

Being negative: Trouble is that being a Saints fan I'm just waiting for the 'down to earth with bump' feeling and the normal month or 2 period each season when we get very few points.

COYS. I know that not all games will go our way but at least play as we have been as a team and we will stand a chance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shroppie said:

I agree with this, I think Redders may well start this one. Moussa to come on after about 60/65 mins. 2-0 to us tonight - Adams and Theo :) COYR