Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread

trousers

Ralph seemed fairly hopeful in today's post match interviews that Ings could be back in contention for this. I'm firmly in the not rushing him back camp though. Especially as temperature will be hovering around the freezing mark, one wouldn't have thought that was good conditions for someone with a borderline muscle/hamstring issue (?)

West Ham only have c.48 hours between games so here's hoping the extra day we get works to our advantage. With Liverpool on the horizon we really need a win here to preserve our top half status.

I'd go with:

McCarthy

KWP - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

Romeu - JWP

Djenepo - Armstrong

Adams - Walcott

With Ings on the bench 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

Feels like a deja vu fixture this, we often seem to play them at home in December, struggle to break them down and lose by a single goal. 

I'm pining my hopes on Antonio being out (is he still injured) and Brighton giving them a very physical game tomorrow giving them little recovery time for Tuesday. 

I think West Ham are also playing Friday away to Everton so a tough week for them, whereas we get almost a week to prepare for our game v Liverpool.  

Romeu back and possibly Ings on the bench would be a good result. 

I really really want us to win this one, their fans are some of the worst in the league, maybe English football.

I'd stick with Long, unpopular opinion but I thought he grew into the game at Fulham. Brings Ings on for the last 20 (if Ralph can stomach making an early sub) against their tiring defence, given they haven't even played this weekend's fixture yet.

With Romeu back, I reckon we'll just about have enough to beat them.

• Confused 1

More than anything, I want us to show that we can score goals. All the clean sheets are great, but we are relying on marginal penalty calls, or JWP's free kicks as pretty much the only way we look like scoring at the moment. Ings is a big miss, but we mustn't rush him back. Long looked awful yesterday. Every run he made in behind was offside and I don't remember him collecting a pass and finding a team mate once in the whole match. I would either play N'Lundulu or Walcott up front, but if whatever RH goes for isn't working and we don't look like scoring, I would like him to try using substitutes this time.

Diallo has shown he can be trusted, but Romeu will come back tomorrow. Am I right in thinking Prowsey's 3 yellow cards will be wiped come the new year, so we don't need to worrying about a possible suspension unless he's booked in both the next two matches?

Fingers crossed that something clicks in attack and we get to celebrate a win!

56 minutes ago, Brumsaint said:

More than anything, I want us to show that we can score goals. All the clean sheets are great, but we are relying on marginal penalty calls, or JWP's free kicks as pretty much the only way we look like scoring at the moment.

That isn't correct. We had two goals correctly disallowed for being marginally offside which shows good chances created. The build up play for both was good and we also should have had 2 penalties.

4 hours ago, Brumsaint said:

Am I right in thinking Prowsey's 3 yellow cards will be wiped come the new year, so we don't need to worrying about a possible suspension unless he's booked in both the next two matches?

No, you're not right. Yellow cards never get wiped. The number accumulated before a suspension increases from 5 to 10 after 19 Premier League matches (and from 10 to 15 after 32 matches). JWP and KWP need to avoid picking up 2 yellows in our next 4 PL games (that means up to and including Leeds on 20 Jan) to avoid a one-match suspension.

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Jesus, if only Djenepo was half the player Mane is. We’d have so much more threat from that left hand side.

To be fair you could stick me out on the left hand side of Liverpools team today and I'll look better than Djenepo...WBA look absolutely rubbish.

9 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Jesus, if only Djenepo was half the player Mane is. We’d have so much more threat from that left hand side.

Djenepo scored a great goal against exactly the same opposition to put us in exactly the same position Liverpool are!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Recent history I guess. Last season: L L W (vs us at St Mary’s) L L then later in season L L W (vs us at Olympic Stadium) L L.

Given West Ham played on Sunday, they will have a recovery day on Monday and we play them on Tuesday. They won't have time to prepare for Saints, let alone have an energy boost. Saints had their recovery day today and can train on Monday in preparation for the game.

10 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Great, I look forward to seeing all his goals against our next opponents West Ham United.

Mane didn’t score against West Ham when Liverpool played them this season so not sure why you’re expecting Djenepo to

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Given West Ham played on Sunday, they will have a recovery day on Monday and we play them on Tuesday. They won't have time to prepare for Saints, let alone have an energy boost. Saints had their recovery day today and can train on Monday in preparation for the game.

You'd have thought West Ham will make a few changes for Tuesday, we have almost a week until our next game against Liverpool on Monday 4th, whereas West Ham play again on Friday 1st 5.30pm away to Everton. 

West Ham well organised but some sloppy play at times, we won't get much in the middle of the park with Rice calling the shots. 

Mostly likely result is a draw with our injuries I think.  

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Great, I look forward to a welcome 3 points. Thanks!

• Like 1

I'd probably put Walcott back upfront with Adams.

Praying that Antonio isn't fit enough yet. Stephens has struggled against him in the last couple of seasons.

Would like to see us really go for this one - we've got a tough looking January coming up so 3 points here would be very welcome. 

22 hours ago, trousers said:

Ralph seemed fairly hopeful in today's post match interviews that Ings could be back in contention for this. I'm firmly in the not rushing him back camp though. Especially as temperature will be hovering around the freezing mark, one wouldn't have thought that was good conditions for someone with a borderline muscle/hamstring issue (?)

West Ham only have c.48 hours between games so here's hoping the extra day we get works to our advantage. With Liverpool on the horizon we really need a win here to preserve our top half status.

I'd go with:

McCarthy

KWP - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

Romeu - JWP

Djenepo - Armstrong

Adams - Walcott

With Ings on the bench 

Totally agree with you on this although Ralph seems to prefer Theo in the No 10 position but as we saw yesterday Theo can be a goal poacher par excellence as a striker.

The key in Ralph's mind must be Theo's work-rate against the ball and his ability to track back into defence and be all over the pitch helping out. With Theo up top all of that extra stuff would be lost.

With Theo at 10 though it creates a problem up top as we saw yesterday, we have no decent strikers to replace Ings. I dread he selects Long again. No idea where we are with Redmond, if he's even half fit he would be a better bet up top than Long, Obafemi or Tella and N'lundulu isn't ready for first team duties yet.

I just wonder too if he might be tempted to put Diallo in as a No 10 in place of Armstrong and give himself the option of going 4-3-3

Edited by Charlie Wayman

34 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Matip injured again. I really wouldn't put it past them to come sniffing for Jannik in January. I may have missed it somewhere else, but do we actually know what injury Jannik has suddenly picked up that means he will be out for "4 weeks" according to Ralph.

Don't let's go down the boring old conspiracy theory route again. We do not operate like that any more. We are not a selling club.

Ralph said Vestergaard had a knee problem.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Another incorrect statement. Not having a good day today are you.

Yeah it’s been terrible. Fancy me hoping that Djenepo could be half as good as Mané. Thank you for taking time from your busy day to set me straight. We’re lucky to have fans of your caliber posting  on this site.

Edited by OttawaSaint

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ralph said Vestergaard had a knee problem.

Knee joint effusion (water on the knee). occurs when excess fluid accumulates in or around the knee joint. There are many common causes for the swelling, including arthritis and injury to the ligaments or meniscus (cartilage in the knee).

19 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Yeah it’s been terrible. Fancy me hoping that Djenepo could be half as good as Mané. Thank you for taking time from your busy day to set me straight. We’re lucky to have fans of your caliber posting  on this site.

You’re welcome, always here to help. Have a great day 

Team is a worry, with no likely no Ings and Vestergaard. 

Stephens is trash, but think Ralph will stick with him

Given Adams/Theo combination worked whilst Ings was injured before, I’d go back to this, and play two of Armstrong, Moussa or Redmond (if fit?)

Romeu being back is massive for us. 
expecting a very tough game, against a very solid side. They won’t make the same mistake again against us, and play Noble unfortunately. We also seem to struggle a bit with teams that have full backs. Think they’ll come for a drawer, but play on the counter with Antonio and Haller up top. 

1-1.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic