New Manager Watch Thread

SKD

Not a thread to discuss if we keep or sack him, but if we do, who would you want to replace? 

My ideal, but probably unrealistic choices are: 

Favre 

Valverde 

Jardim 

Gerrard 

Realistic would be:

Potter

AVB

Frank (from Brentford)

Wilder 

Unsatisfied, but would accept: 

Howe

Lampard 

I thought Favre, think that's definitely wishful thinking though.

Has AVB actually left Marseille? I know he'd put in his resignation, but I thought he was suspended pending displinary action? Not sure how realistic he is with our budget.

Oscar Garcia is out of work too - left Celta in November.

I'd guess something a little more underwhelming but more within our range, though I don't think we'd go for Howe if I'm honest.

If we could actually go for a manager currently employed I'd say Nagelsmann, Glasner, Schmidt - would build on what the club want to achieve with Ralph.

Most wants in this thread are hugely unrealistic.

The best we can get would be someone like Pearson, Pardew, Wilder, Wanger, Hughes - those are the sorts we'd be able to attract. Or let's put this out there - Kelvin Davis promoted as manager with Fleming as assistant. I jest, but it's the sort of thing we'd do. Wouldn't cost us any money so it makes sense.

Does anyone really want to roll the dice? 

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, Suhari said:

The question really is: who could we afford, and why would they come?

If we sacked Ralph, Howe would be sniffing around without a shadow of a doubt. He’d love to manage us. 

We’re a bit of a shambles, but we are still a premier league club and historically have been seen as a pretty decent club especially if you want to use us a stepping stone. 

I think managers would jump at the opportunity to get their name in the PL and potentially move on to a bigger club. 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

If we sacked Ralph, Howe would be sniffing around without a shadow of a doubt. He’d love to manage us. 

We’re a bit of a shambles, but we are still a premier league club and historically have been seen as a pretty decent club especially if you want to use us a stepping stone. 

I think managers would jump at the opportunity to get their name in the PL and potentially move on to a bigger club. 

Agreed. However, don't managers want to be financially backed? Clearly we are not capable of that these days.

I could see us going for David Wagner, the former Huddersfield manager. He’s unemployed would be cheap, know the premier league, used to working on a budget and would jump at the chance to come here. It’ll tick a lot of the boxes about pathways nonsense and seems like the sort of guy who wouldn’t cause too many problems behind the scenes. Just to be clear he wouldn’t be my choice but that’s the sort of appointment I’d expect 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

Will very much depend on which division we're in to see who we can attract, Nigel Pearson? 

He just took over Bristol City.

The issue with most managers is that anyone currently in a job will mean we can't afford them.

I don't think Ralph will leave or that we'll sack him though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I could see us going for David Wagner, the former Huddersfield manager. He’s unemployed would be cheap, know the premier league, used to working on a budget and would jump at the chance to come here. It’ll tick a lot of the boxes about pathways nonsense and seems like the sort of guy who wouldn’t cause too many problems behind the scenes. Just to be clear he wouldn’t be my choice but that’s the sort of appointment I’d expect 

He was a complete failure at Schalke. No doubt he'd jump at the chance to come here though!

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He was a complete failure at Schalke. No doubt he'd jump at the chance to come here though!

To be fair everyone is a fail at Schalke these days, now that's a poisoned chalice. They'll finally drop this year.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think we’ll end up with Howe. Not my choice, seems to fit though. 

local so he’ll want the job. 
plays half decent football. 
Cheap. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

I think we’ll end up with Howe. Not my choice, seems to fit though. 

local so he’ll want the job. 
plays half decent football. 
Cheap. 

We could do worse but Howe is probably the best realistic option. I’d rather him Than some appointment where we try to be clever like Pellegrino was. We know it won’t be anyone currently employed so it’s quite a small pool of managers to chose From. Seems to be that the clubs ambitions are just to stay in the premier league spending the minimum possible. I don’t think they’ll sack Ralph though, only way he’ll go is if he walks. Everyone wants him to do well but it’s getting harder and harder to defend him now. No other manager has been cut so much slack. 

This is going to get pelted to death...

*Bends over and grabs ankles*

Roy Keane anyone?

Some of this lot need a f'kng rocket.

I'm at the point where I would genuinely not be entirely adverse to him.

It would end in tears but it would be worth it to see some of this lot get ripped in half. Redmond, Bertrand etc...

• Like 1

The other managerial type I'd like to avoid is the big name ex-player Sky Sports News appointment: Lampard, Henry, Viera.

Howe might be a decent fit, although I don't think he's going to organise our defence much better.

This would be the 4th manager change with the same dross players, am sensing it wouldnt  matter if pep was in charge.

We need investment asap, ship out deadwood and buy a few players suited to this style football who do not reverse course faster than an Italian tank when a.defender is Infront of them

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The other managerial type I'd like to avoid is the big name ex-player Sky Sports News appointment: Lampard, Henry, Viera.

Howe might be a decent fit, although I don't think he's going to organise our defence much better.

Viera might be a good shout. Did well first year at Nice. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Howe wasted a fortune on players at Bournemouth and still saw them relegated - he won’t come here knowing there’s no money to spend.

He did his best work there when he didn’t have any money. The problems started there with rumours that he couldn’t handle the egos of some of the big signings 

9 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Howe wasted a fortune on players at Bournemouth and still saw them relegated - he won’t come here knowing there’s no money to spend.

Howe would jump at the opportunity. 

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Viera might be a good shout. Did well first year at Nice. 

Surprised Viera didn’t get the Bournemouth job. I like him, liked him at NY as well. Plays a decent way, which is obviously important.  I wanted us to take a look once it became apparent that pellegrino was not going to survive. 

Not sure what went on at Nice (happy for someone to educate me on that one) and why he doesn’t have a job? I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if he got a chance. 

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

This would be the 4th manager change with the same dross players, am sensing it wouldnt  matter if pep was in charge.

We need investment asap, ship out deadwood and buy a few players suited to this style football who do not reverse course faster than an Italian tank when a.defender is Infront of them

Exactly, frying pan / fire. Stick with what we have at least until all of the other issues are sorted.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

He did his best work there when he didn’t have any money. 

People seem to forget this. They were bottom of league 2 with -17 points when he took over. He did every bit as good a job as Nigel Adkins did for us.

Before the Russian he had to work for Eddie Mitchell, so he’s used to working for chancers. But I wouldn’t want him myself though.

Bit a wasted thread in my opinion because I dont think Ralph will be going anywhere anytime soon. Whether thats a good thing or not, well the jury's currently out.

Firstly, we've pretty much declared that we're all in with Ralph. He's allowed to make all the decisions on the footballing side of things and is working on the infamous 'playbook' which will dictate how all teams at the club will play (given the frustrating passive style of football we've seen in 2021, my excitement for the playbook's prospects is declining but time will tell). Given our investment in his ideas/philosophy, its highly unlikely we'll be sacking him, even with relegation. We cant afford it for a start given current finances and the fact that we're still paying off previous sackings. But it's also clear that we're playing the long game with Ralph, even if that takes us into the Championship (unlikely this season but next season? I wouldnt rule it out)

From Ralph's perspective, why would he walk away from such autonomy. He wouldn't get this control at any other club in a top league. Not to mention Ralph's stock has taken a hit these last few months, so there isnt going to be much interest in him for a while from any clubs considered to be a step up. He could walk with relegation, but he appears to have emotionally invested a lot into the club and the plans he has. I imagine for his own pride he would want to stay and put things right by getting us back up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Surprised there isn't a " new player alert watch" running in tandem with this one.  Ings 20 + kept us up last season which created a buffer for many team mates and Manager.  Which is not to say a Ralph replacement discussion isn't needed.  Could see Howe coming here.    

6 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

would be a brave shout but gets good reviews up there for what he is doing.

Was really impressed during his caretaker spell before Ancelotti came in. He'd ruffle some feathers and has worked with some top managers too.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Howe and Tindall are who I think we'll get, and I reckon it'll happen soon. I'd like Frank but there's no way he'd leave Brentford. 

I thought Howe was off to Palace after Woy's retirement at the end of the season? Rumour I heard.

• Like 1