Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread

Noodles34

Well, that was a surprisingly easy game. Christ, how bad were Bournemouth? But you can only beat what's in front of you. Should have been at least 5 (we had two caulked off which should have counted imo)

We just had too much power and pace for them today, our movement was too clever. Wiltshire looks like an OAP, I'm sure I even saw Vesterguaard run past him at one point.

Massive credit to Redmond, he started in his usual frustrating manor but once he got the assist you could see him grow and come to the fore. He's very much a confidence player, but he needs to work out how he can still find something from within when things aren't going his way. He probably sums up this team in a way, looks great when things are going your way, but when they're not....it all falls apart. 

Semi Final, exciting times. Will be very tough to progress beyond this stage, but who knows in a 1 off game.

• Like 1

Enjoyed that. Everyone put in a shift.

Redondo looked much more menacing, let's hope it gives him confidence. 

The forward movement was great in the 2nd half. Let's hope that continues after the break. 

It will be different against Burnley's block of 8, but if Mousa, Redder and Armstrong keep pouring forward like that,  we have a chance

Professional performance by the side. 
some good individual performances also. 
but it was against a very average Championship side in Bournemouth 

our other last win was against a very poor premier league side. 
There was still times In the first half we looked pedestrian and full of our usual wayward passing.

i can only hope we can be a little more decisive in our decision making and passing when we face some real opposition. 
but we will revert to ponderous crap when tested by a decent side....and therefore we will succumb to many more defeats. 
nothing has changed after this win. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

There was still times In the first half we looked pedestrian and full of our usual wayward passing.

i can only hope we can be a little more decisive in our decision making and passing when we face some real opposition. 
but we will revert to ponderous crap when tested by a decent side....and therefore we will succumb to many more defeats. 

How do you nothing had changed after this game, can you see into the future? Are you a clairvoyant?

If we do succumb to defeat, i have no skill in predicting you will post some crap (future easy to predict)

Can we not just be pleased for a while?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Can you imagine the hysteria had we lost today ? This would have lasted through the international break.

Would hope this gives some confidence, and positivity looking ahead to a SF. Hopefully the break gives a chance for other players to build fitness (KWP for example) and others to return when we restart (Ings and Walcott) in April. I think Ralph and co need the mini-break to regroup.

Just hope neither JWP or Armstrong pick up injuries whilst away.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Saints and Sheff Utd to both get relegated, then play out the final?

I don't think that we will go down but confident we will beat Everton in the semi-final and Sheffield United in the final. Okay maybe not that confident but there is no point in following football if you don't dream.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Still on track to do a Wigan, lads.

Keep shitting yourselves.

Wigan have beaten Man City three times in the FA Cup in the last ten years - 2013, 2014 and 2018. I thought it was "only" twice. And only one of those times was as a PL side. The footballing gods must have a sense of humour when allocating bogey teams.

I wish we were Wigan ;)

Didn't watch, reasoning that if I didn't we might improve (despite knowing full well it would have absolutely no bearing on what happened in any way whatsoever).  Good to hear we put in a good display, particularly Redmond. Anyone got a link to one of those full match re-runs (if one even exists)?

12 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I take it we definitely can’t go to the semi then?

what’s the point of having it at Wembley if there’s no fans? 
might as well use Silverlake 

Silverlake are heavily involved in the Skates aren't they?

Someone once also told me (a good while ago) Pompey are involved with Sholing FC somehow.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I think the wider spaces at Wembley would be in our favour

Pitch sizes have been standardised for the last 9 years. Wembley's FA Cup final pitch has the exact same dimensions as St Mary's pitch (along with the majority of other PL stadiums apart from ones that are impossible to make fit the guidelines).

In any case I'd say smaller pitches would suit a high pressing team rather than big ones. Reduces the amount of space for the opponent when you hem them in.

Edited by Matthew Le God

45 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Someone once also told me (a good while ago) Pompey are involved with Sholing FC somehow.

No link between Sholing and Pompey that I'm aware of. I go and watch Sholing a fair bit and my son plays for the U15's and I've never heard anyone mention anything about that.

Silverlake did sponsor their stadium a few years ago but don't anymore. All the main sponsors are Southampton companies.

24 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Pitch sizes have been standardised for the last 9 years. Wembley's FA Cup final pitch has the exact same dimensions as St Mary's pitch (along with the majority of other PL stadiums apart from ones that are impossible to make fit the guidelines).

In any case I'd say smaller pitches would suit a high pressing team rather than big ones. Reduces the amount of space for the opponent when you hem them in.

Thanks for that interesting info.  I must be dreaming of the Utopian days at the Dell's small pitch

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Yes I am 78

The images of one player stretching out another's leg in the last ten minutes was all part of the final experience. Commentators used to blame the big Wembley pitch where the truth was probably the players drinking habits and crap diets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

I think you're getting confused with the fact that Sholing's ground is in Portsmouth Rd.😂😂😂

• Like 1

Thought Armstrong was superb today, does that bloke ever get tired ?

Good professional display against poor opposition, we'd make a pretty good Championship side !? Difficult to fault anyone but I think Nlundulu is playing the wrong sport. We have an outside chance of a major trophy, who knows, this may kickstart the team into some decent PL form as well.

• Like 1

No one is over excited just happy despite some idiot claiming we are. 

We are in the Semi finals, what is not to like? 

The run will most likely come to an end now so let's just enjoy the moment while we can as we haven't had many since January have we?

3 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

No one is over excited just happy despite some idiot claiming we are. 

We are in the Semi finals, what is not to like? 

The run will most likely come to an end now so let's just enjoy the moment while we can as we haven't had many since January have we?

Hahaha SKD living rent free in your head. 

glad you found the right thread though pal. 

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

I take it we definitely can’t go to the semi then?

what’s the point of having it at Wembley if there’s no fans? 
might as well use Silverlake 

It's got to be somewhere I suppose, might as well be where it would be anyway. 

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I think you'll find I was simply expanding on what he said and gave more detail. 😉

That’s not what I have on the card. Sorry.

Come on Bully, show him what he would have won...

Edited by OttawaSaint

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

You do live in a strange world and certainly a miserable one that's for sure.

You need to cheer up, life is to short do be so down about things😉

I think we should give up our semi final place because we only played tin pot teams  to get to Wembley.

Not that I think we will go much further but if we can’t play well for 90 minutes we shouldn’t progress and forfeit game let Bournemouth through.

Forgetting our recent run how dare we not batter them all game.

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Except in nets it’s the exact team I wanted and posted on first page of thread, so can’t complain. I presume Redmond will play up top. 

The whole thing depends on whether we score early. If it’s still 0-0, or god forbid we’re behind after half an hour, I’ll worry. We do start well most games so if we can score, I think we’ll blow them away. I’ve a sneaky feeling Redmond will be MoTM. 1-3. 

Good call. 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

That's the worst, most overused phrase on the internet at the moment.

Are you going to tell someone they've been ratioed next?

38 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

Thought Armstrong was superb today, does that bloke ever get tired ?

Good professional display against poor opposition, we'd make a pretty good Championship side !? Difficult to fault anyone but I think Nlundulu is playing the wrong sport. We have an outside chance of a major trophy, who knows, this may kickstart the team into some decent PL form as well.

He was pretty tired after his Covid dose !

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Armstrong was really good today way he drove forward along with Redmond meant all that tippy tap shite back to centre halves was minimal.

Good performance against a poor  team bigger games to come.

Armstrong was the best player on the pitch after Redmond.

Walker-Peters was also really good.

I like how consistent Kyle is, you know what you're going to get and I think he's crucial to Ralph's game, we struggle to play Ralph's philosophy without him.

I'm hoping vokins gets there on the other side and improves with game time at Sunderland so he can come in at LB.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

Armstrong was the best player on the pitch after Redmond.

Walker-Peters was also really good.

I like how consistent Kyle is, you know what you're going to get and I think he's crucial to Ralph's game, we struggle to play Ralph's philosophy without him.

I'm hoping vokins gets there on the other side and improves with game time at Sunderland so he can come in at LB.

I’m not sure Vokins has the pace to do that.

I think we need better and full back area is a must for recruiting in summer to play this formation.

To be hyper critical today I didn’t understand why brought on Tella wouldn’t it have been useful to give Jankewitz a little run out to get over United debacle and sit between JWP and Diallo shut it all down.

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

To be hyper critical today I didn’t understand why brought on Tella wouldn’t it have been useful to give Jankewitz a little run out to get over United debacle and sit between JWP and Diallo shut it all down.

Shut what down? We had no need to go more defensive when 3-0 up, we had Bournemouth at arm's length the whole game!

Short People GIF

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

Thanks for that interesting info.  I must be dreaming of the Utopian days at the Dell's small pitch

which was bigger than Highbury. The pitch at The Dell wasn't as small as some others, but the closeness of the terraces made it seem smaller than it was.

10 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I’m not sure Vokins has the pace to do that.

I think we need better and full back area is a must for recruiting in summer to play this formation.

Jankewitz is a strange one and I'm desperate to see him in a competitive game for us.

But on the one hand, we don't see him everyday in training and the one time we have seen him, he nearly ended someone's career.

So what happens from here is really Ralph's call and Ralph wasn't playing him for a reason and against United we saw why (possibly).

I don't think he'll get a game until we're mathematically safe and there's no harm that can be done by playing him.

I would have expected him to have got on the pitch today though, all the same.

• Like 2