Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread

Noodles34

This was the BBC description of the first. I assume Bertrand was Redmond?

VAR won't rule this out.

Lovely goal from Southampton. Ryan Bertrand has space to run into as he receives it in the middle and turns.

He weaves in and out, waiting for the run of Moussa Djenepo, before slipping it through to him perfectly in the box.

Djenepo takes advantage of a slip from Jack Stacey and coolly slots it into the far corner.

• Haha 1

I decided to study Redmond's performance, looking at every time he was involved.

received between the lines, didn't attack the space when there was an opportunity, laid off square

easy short pass

didn't control short corner, meant pass was behind JWP. Shite.

couldn't control tough waist high ball. not easy.

easy short pass

got into space well

won uncontested header, which went off for throw

held ball up and linked with Che

simple pass

nice turn with dribble forward, woeful pass/cross. Absolute Shite.

Gentle press

nicked the ball, judged a foul

nice turn, direct dribble straight into box and pack of defenders, almost got through, maybe didn't really have a clue what he was doing, ultimately lost ball

good control, but terrible pass backwards straight to their player who broke and almost went on to score. Very bad. Almost costly.

held it up calmly, simple pass back to our keeper.

dropped into space well giving Bednarek a much needed out, simple one touch pass

slow to track his man, but free kick not taken quickly so got away with it.

dropped very deep again to give an option, good control with man tight behind, simple pass. Good play.

gentle press, didn't contest either header, would be harsh to say bottled it as ball wasn't quite there.

did very well indeed to hold ball up and lay it off under a lot of pressure.

nice first touch, direct dribble, calm as approached the box, lovely weighted through ball inside creating the goal. Top quality stuff.

first to a header, flicked on, no one there. could no nothing else.

collected throw, kept possession. looks much more confident after involvement in goal.

nice turn without ball, almost caught defender out

failed to hold ball up with man tight to him. Could have done better.

nice dribble, calm, defender sold himself a bit, but confident strike. Goal.  Excellent stuff.

HALF TIME

• Like 4

I think this is what everyone who has slated Redmond has wanted and probably justifies the criticism as it shows he is capable. This is the first time in God knows how long that he has actually played with any conviction. More of the same please!

• Like 4

I said to my mate before the game that we needed to be 2-0 up half time. Mainly because we're appalling in second halves but also it should break Bournemouth. I doubt they will go balls out to get through now, so hopefully we can at least contain and see this through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m pleased Redmond has taken our constructive criticism on board, especially mine 

Good call.   Frustrating though he is the assist and goal were classy contributions.   Nicely taken opportunity from Djenepo too.   Game over?  

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Good half really, could/should be 3 nil up.

Keep it tight for first 15mins second half and just see this out. :)

I know that would be sensible but I'd really like to see them enjoy themselves and get a few more goals...

I'm one of Redmond critics. Not because of what he's done in a half, but because of what he's done for most of his saints career. I think it is more knee jerk those feeling vindicated because he's played one half well. 

I'm genuinely thrilled he's playing well. He could well have given us a rare cup semi final.And if he goes on an amazing run of form I will tattoo I was wrong on the side of my dick. But that was championship level defending from Bournemouth. Outside clubs like Sheffield United or WBA, most epl sides would defend that. 

But hey, let's hope he keeps it up

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wooley7 said:

So please for Redmond. Great assist and a cracking goal.

Hopefully will give him a bit of respite from all the hateful pricks on here. (It won’t)

Exactly this. Some of people on here who slate him have never played the game themselves! He's just been lacking a bit in confidence. He clearly has a lot of ability :)

Edited by davefizzy14

1 minute ago, Mikey88 said:

I think this is what everyone who has slated Redmond has wanted and probably justifies the criticism as it shows he is capable. This is the first time in God knows how long that he has actually played with any conviction. More of the same please!

This is exactly it. We know he's capable of producing the goods when his confidence is high. If he could produce the kind of performance we have seen so far today on a regular basis then we wouldn't be where we are in the league.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

This is exactly it. We know he's capable of producing the goods when his confidence is high. If he could produce the kind of performance we have seen so far today on a regular basis then we wouldn't be where we are in the league.

Yep and also if he was doing it regularly for us getting 10-15 PL goals a season then he wouldn’t be with us but somewhere at a top 6 club. 

My WiFi decided to die on the 40 minute mark so I missed the Redmond goal.

Ergo he's still crap. 

Seriously 2 nil is breathing space but it isn't over yet. Would be nice for Adams to continue his scoring run. Would be nice to give Jankewitz and Watts a run out before the game is over if we have it in the bag.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

He does it for about two games per season, but then immediately loses the confidence to run at players when a couple of incidents don't pan out and retreats into his shell again.

I guess we should be thankful for small mercies and just enjoy this fleeting moment of quality. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good job the forum is slow for me today, I was just about to post that Djneppo is fucking useless.

We can’t lose from here, can we? 

91 of the 92 league teams couldn’t. We absolutely can 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good job the forum is slow for me today, I was just about to post that Djneppo is fucking useless.

We can’t lose from here, can we? 

We can but only if Ralph refuses to manage the game and lets us be gung-ho when 2-0 up. Trouble is, it's not his forte to manage a game he just goes for it and doesn't think.

8 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

class is permanent - form is temporary.  Well done Redders

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My hunch, with nothing to go on but facial expressions and body language, is that Redmond is a sulker and a pouter when things are't going his way.

That would not endear him to Ralph, and it also makes him a worse player.

Hopefully, now he's taken a defender on and scored, as he used to do, the reverse syndrome will apply.

I did say "hopefully".

5 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Exactly this. Some of people on here who slate him have never played the game themselves! He's just been lacking a bit in confidence. He clearly has a lot of ability :)

Plays well, plays badly, he is one of ours. Some of the shit written about him is so over the top. He has not had a great season, really lacks confidence at the moment if he reads the internet it’s hardly surprising.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Really odd some people pretending that Redmond hasn't been largely crap for a number of seasons now. It's great he's doing well today and long may it continue but it doesn't invalidate previous dire performances. 

Yes, this is true. However, the reaction on this place is way over the top. 

He’s an average premier league player playing for an average premier league team. Has bad days, has good days, but largely just average... like us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaveloyMush said:

Er, lads, it's Bournemouth...

...they beat Burnley in the last round. You still have to do the business when you play lower league teams. We've lost to teams like this in the past.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Really odd some people pretending that Redmond hasn't been largely crap for a number of seasons now. It's great he's doing well today and long may it continue but it doesn't invalidate previous dire performances. 

I think Redmond is not on his own with below par performances but for some reason he’s the one that receives most of the flack. Be nice. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bournemouth 0-3 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic