The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

The whole Germany “monkey on the back” thing is maybe more a neurosis than a statistical fact. In major tournaments since the Second World War, the England record is now Won 3 Drawn 3 Lost 2. Sure, two of those draws led to penalty defeats, but they’ve only ever beaten us once inside 90 minutes in a tournament match  - and that defeat was the one that involved Lampard putting the ball three yards over the line but no goal being given.

It makes you wonder how Brazil ever won a World Cup? Surely the two aren’t mutually exclusive and it is possible to win a completion by playing attractive, attacking football? I get it that some teams don’t have that in their locker and need to grind out results, but it isn’t as if we don’t have players who can really play. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It makes you wonder how Brazil ever won a World Cup? Surely the two aren’t mutually exclusive and it is possible to win a completion by playing attractive, attacking football? I get it that some teams don’t have that in their locker and need to grind out results, but it isn’t as if we don’t have players who can really play. 

As good as our front 3 our, they’re no where near the level of Early 00’s Brazil. Our team is suited to play on the counter attack. If we’d played an open attacking game Tuesday, we’d have been picked apart. 

I’m not a huge fan of southgate, but I think so far he’s got it right. Big test will be Saturday where we’re expected to win and will need to take the game to them who’ll move doubt defend deep and try and hit us on the counter. 

43 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Of course I want England to win, but I just have this nagging feeling that after what happened to Christian Eriksen in their opening game, Denmark's name might be on that cup......which would obviously make for a great story.

Ffs 🤦‍♂️… how bout we finally put 55 years of hurt behind us along the way steam rolling Denmark in the semi's and take the azzouri to the cleaners in the final…

it’s coming home 🏆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Also Brazil haven't won the world cup since 2002. Football has changed a lot since then

Spot on. They’ve won 2 in the last 50 years. 2 more than us obviously, but the same as Italy, France & The Argies. Germany have one more win in that period with their “exciting” brand of modern football. 

7 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Also Brazil haven't won the world cup since 2002. Football has changed a lot since then

There were still boring, pragmatic teams and exiting, attacking teams back then. There have always been teams who set out on the front foot and go all out for a win and those who sit back and play it safe.

Funny how some people couldn’t wait to see the back of Puel but are praising Southgate for adopting similar tactics.

Before the usual suspects kick off again, I am not unhappy about getting out of the group and beating Germany but before we wet our collective knickers, we need to win three more matches before Southgate is up for a knighthood and every Premier team starts loading up with full backs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Of course I want England to win, but I just have this nagging feeling that after what happened to Christian Eriksen in their opening game, Denmark's name might be on that cup......which would obviously make for a great story.

With crappy old Saint Vestergaard at the back? 😜 

Seriously Denmark started badly, unsurprising bearing in mind what happened, but have had a couple of good results since, and the attacking players have done well without arguably their best player. Damsgaard looks a decent player and yes, they have scored 8 goals in 2 games, but they were against arguably the two worst teams in the Championships in Russia and Wales. They are eminently beatable, as are the Ukraine, who only just scraped out of their group, and of course the potential Denmark-free tie against the Czech Republic, whom we've already beaten once.

As a Saints fan and an England fan I'm a natural pessimist, but looking at the fixtures, I'm quietly confident we can at least get to the final. That's what one simple victory over Germany has done for us. 

14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Who are these people? Name them. 

Did I detect a click of the heels as you said that? I know you are a bit of a fascist Duckie but you don’t get to bark orders at people. Smoke some more weed and chill out man.

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Did I detect a click of the heels as you said that? I know you are a bit of a fascist Duckie but you don’t get to bark orders at people. Smoke some more weed and chill out man.

So that’s nobody then. 

If you’re going to claim that the same people now praising Southgate were moaning about Puel, then surely you should back this up. From what I’ve seen people have been entirely consistent, the people, like me, who praised Puel are also praising Southgate. The ones who would preferred Puel to play more expansively, but we’re happy with the outcomes, feel the same about Southgate, and the ones that wanted Puel gone, don’t particularly like Southgate. 

Style of play is one thing on this forum that people are pretty consistent about, despite you pretending otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So that’s nobody then. 

If you’re going to claim that the same people now praising Southgate were moaning about Puel, then surely you should back this up. From what I’ve seen people have been entirely consistent, the people, like me, who praised Puel are also praising Southgate. The ones who would preferred Puel to play more expansively, but we’re happy with the outcomes, feel the same about Southgate, and the ones that wanted Puel gone, don’t particularly like Southgate. 

Style of play is one thing on this forum that people are pretty consistent about, despite you pretending otherwise. 

I was happy with Puel but unhappy with Southgate, although his last game showed some promise

On 01/07/2021 at 11:35, Saint Keef said:

Let's be realistic here:

They lost the first game to Finland which they should won on paper for understandable reasons

They then beat a very poor Russia team which they were favourites for anyway.

They then lost to Belgium, as expected.

Then beat Wales in a game that was probably 50/50 at kick off, the scoreline flattered them but they were the better side.

Only 2 of their players would potentially get in the England team (Kasper and Hojbjerg - both of those you could argue for/against them being better than what we have). They've beaten 2 teams who weren't exactly brilliant.

They won't win the tournament....

Keep Sterling out of Shaw's way and we have a chance. I think we have a real chance this time. We are not spectacular, but we seem to be getting it done, we have had luck on our side with opponents bad misses. We seem to have a system that can adapt to the opposition and I think we have enough to beat our next opponent and the one we would face after that. Whoever else ends up in the final would be a tough opponent, and at that point we have to see what we can do. But till then I am quietly confident.

24 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Let's be realistic here:

They lost the first game to Finland which they should won on paper for understandable reasons

Then beat Wales in a game that was probably 50/50 at kick off, the scoreline flattered them but they were the better side.

Only 2 of their players would potentially get in the England team (Kasper and Hojbjerg - both of those you could argue for/against them being better than what we have). They've beaten 2 teams who weren't exactly brilliant.

Hojbjerg wouldn't even get into the England squad!

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Yet another ridiculous post from our resident oddball. Why are you encouraging the use of illegal drugs by the way?

Edited by Turkish

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

With crappy old Saint Vestergaard at the back? 😜 

Seriously Denmark started badly, unsurprising bearing in mind what happened, but have had a couple of good results since, and the attacking players have done well without arguably their best player. Damsgaard looks a decent player and yes, they have scored 8 goals in 2 games, but they were against arguably the two worst teams in the Championships in Russia and Wales. They are eminently beatable, as are the Ukraine, who only just scraped out of their group, and of course the potential Denmark-free tie against the Czech Republic, whom we've already beaten once.

As a Saints fan and an England fan I'm a natural pessimist, but looking at the fixtures, I'm quietly confident we can at least get to the final. That's what one simple victory over Germany has done for us. 

I absolutely take your point and not arguing.....although it was probably the poorest German team we've seen for years, and but for two very good saves by Pickford and Muller missing an easy chance the outcome could have been a whole lot different.

50 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Let's be realistic here:

Again....I'm not arguing the logic of your points at all. Absolutely spot on. But I did say in my post that it's just a nagging feeling. Stranger things have happened.

The very unfortunate incident with Christian Eriksen has probably galvanised the squad and I can imagine their incentive is now "This one's for Christian".

Hopefully by Saturday evening that nagging feeling will have been blown out of the water. 

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

I absolutely take your point and not arguing.....although it was probably the poorest German team we've seen for years, and but for two very good saves by Pickford and Muller missing an easy chance the outcome could have been a whole lot different.

Again....I'm not arguing the logic of your points at all. Absolutely spot on. But I did say in my post that it's just a nagging feeling. Stranger things have happened.

The very unfortunate incident with Christian Eriksen has probably galvanised the squad and I can imagine their incentive is now "This one's for Christian".

Hopefully by Saturday evening that nagging feeling will have been blown out of the water. 

I get your points, definitely in a 50/50 game what happened to Eriksson may give them enough to get through, but drive and determination can only really get you so far. 

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

For a team that have scored 10 in their last two games, Spain look very blunt and pedestrian.

Italy or Belgium the finalists from this side of the draw, I reckon.

Assuming they get through, Spain have gone to extra time twice now, that’s not going to help them.

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Peter Walton is pointless. All he ever does is back up whatever decision the ref or var has made

Bizarre that anyone could've looked at his hopeless refereeing career and conclude that he's an "expert" in his field.

Then again, someone put Mike Riley in charge of developing top tier referees; failing upwards is part of refereeing culture.

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Bizarre that anyone could've looked at his hopeless refereeing career and conclude that he's an "expert" in his field.

Then again, someone put Mike Riley in charge of developing top tier referees; failing upwards is part of refereeing culture.

Wasn’t Graham Poll also in some senior refeering leaders role too?  No wonder the current lot are so bad If these wallies are in charge 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

The winner of the next game will be favourites to get to the final now, there’s no way Spain will be at 100% for the semi after going to extra time twice.

Plus they look bang average. Whoever wins this will be in the final 

14 minutes ago, whelk said:

Weird that the skill and mental strength has changed so much in 4 days?

They’re two evenly matched teams in terms of talent, it can go either way. You’re never going to convince me Eastleigh have a chance against Brazil.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

The winner of the next game will be favourites to get to the final now, there’s no way Spain will be at 100% for the semi after going to extra time twice.

Perfect result for us. They’ll be harder to beat than Switzerland,  making the semi final tougher. 

What we now need is this one to go all the way to penos , as well as the semi. Whoever wins through will be fucked, facing England who’ve pissed through their games. 

It’s coming home 

17 minutes ago, whelk said:

Weird that the skill and mental strength has changed so much in 4 days?

The Swiss penalties were dire. Maybe felt more pressure, more fatigue either way chalk and cheese from the other night 

Thought Spain looked properly one star. Would actually welcome playing them in the final (if we were fortunate enough to get that far, no presumptiousness here pal)

Edited by stknowle

As an aside, isn’t it boring watching the white team v the red team or the white team v the blue team, there are so many games that teams could of worn their home kits, we just had Spain v Swiss , white v red , we have the same now , Italy shd be in blue. Why does uefa have to keep  setting stupid rules?? It’s like saints, the red backs on our new shirts just ruin it… yet again!

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

Thought Spain looked properly one star. Would actually welcome playing them in the final.

Spain in the final after their semi final goes to extra time.

With England having the least travel, it’d be difficult to stack up the lead up any more in our favour.

England would need to hold up their end first of course, important we don’t let ourselves relax and drop too much after beating Germany.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The Swiss penalties were dire. Maybe felt more pressure, more fatigue either way chalk and cheese from the other night 

I think mentally it was much tougher. In the French game they had much less pressure knowing that the French were heavy favourites and feeling the pressure themselves. 

In this one, there was added pressure due to already having won a penalty shootout vs France. There’s now some expectancy and also knowing that Spain had missed a few penalties lately.

The early Spain miss may have even ratcheted up the pressure a bit more, a place in the semi was within touching distance.

If that makes any sense at all. 😂 

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I think mentally it was much tougher. In the French game they had much less pressure knowing that the French were heavy favourites and feeling the pressure themselves. 

In this one, there was added pressure due to already having won a penalty shootout vs France. There’s now some expectancy and also knowing that Spain had missed a few penalties lately.

The early Spain miss may have even ratcheted up the pressure a bit more, a place in the semi was within touching distance.

If that makes any sense at all. 😂 

Spain taking their penalties first probably made some difference as well.