The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

What a performance!

Biggest Euros win in our history!

Best defensive showing in the history of the Euros! No other team has gone five without conceding!

So England... time to actually turn this promise into results. Semi-final will start at 0-0, this means nothing there now. Time to reset and prepare to put this sort of performance in against Denmark.

Just now, Manuel said:

Has any team ever one the Euros without conceding? 

Sounds like no. This is first time anyone has gone five matches without conceding.

Maybe someone did it when the tournament was smaller/shorter but screw them.

• Like 1

Back to back semi finals at major tournaments - fair to say I’m not used to this feeling.

Started slow and now the momentum has us flying, actually feel we’ll steam roll through a side containing Hojbjerg and Vestergaard, especially with the Wembley crowd behind us.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

Luke Shaw my player of the tournament so far 

Ditto. He was immense tonight. Up with most attacks, and back in position. Him and Mount have solved any dead ball issue we had as well. 

Fair play to England, they crushed Ukraine. Kane looking like the player we know he is, Maguire back, Shaw playing great, no real injury issues and home fixtures from here on in. It's as good a chance as England has ever had.

• Like 1

Any team that gets to the semi-final of a huge knock-out tournament has a real chance of winning it because 25% at worst is still good odds. I accept it's the same for the other three teams but, remarkably, you haven't conceded any. The lack of conceding goals seems significant to me. I really don't know anything about football but I think a $10 bet on England to win the final is worth it.

Edited by Jeremy
Pompous wording.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Southgate is now the second most successful England manager

Absolutely. 

Some people should be embarrassed by some of their earlier posts on this thread. For some reason the mods delete them when these posts are quoted, but they know who they are. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Anyone else singing "thats what I say, I say yeah yeah" at various points in the commentary?

#eighties #jazzpop

No, I've been singing Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You.

Because I thought Matt Bianco was Glenn Medeiros.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Anyone else singing "thats what I say, I say yeah yeah" at various points in the commentary?

#eighties #jazzpop

Ha!!. Even when I realised he wasn't saying Matt Bianco, it still sounded like Matt Bianco! 

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Happy to admit completely trust Southgate now. He does know what he’s doing and knows a lot more about setting a side up than me.

Me to 

I would keep the same side to play Denmark as as that formation was the best of England team of the Tournament  but will he do that or tinker with it 

1 minute ago, John B said:

Me to 

I would keep the same side to play Denmark as as that formation was the best of England team of the Tournament  but will he do that or tinker with it 

Ditto. He could go with a 3 again to match them up like against Germany. If we go 433. That right side is a variable. We could see Sancho, Foden, or Saka over there but either of them will cause Maehle and Vestergaard problems. 

41 minutes ago, whelk said:

Happy to admit completely trust Southgate now. He does know what he’s doing and knows a lot more about setting a side up than me.

There's a level of calm control - in squad selection, in team selection, in game management - that has never happened under any England manager in my lifetime.

There is an eerie pragmatic efficiency that is quite frankly not normal for England.

We won easily yesterday without the talisman/poster boy/great hope even stepping onto the pitch. 

I guess the only thing we haven't faced is adversity yet, but that's because we haven't conceded a single flipping goal. So why would we.

It's another world.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

Its kinda surreal that after decades of watching the international team flounder and fail, while blowing millions on the cream of top european managers, we now have a Gareth, who seemingly just picks some random formation with a splattering of primed players & gets the perfect response. 

I don't know where this magic came from, or when it will end. But I'm really bloody enjoying it!

Dare to dream, it my well be coming home........

51 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

There's a level of calm control - in squad selection, in team selection, in game management - that has never happened under any England manager in my lifetime.

There is an eerie pragmatic efficiency that is quite frankly not normal for England.

We won easily yesterday without the talisman/poster boy/great hope even stepping onto the pitch. 

I guess the only thing we haven't faced is adversity yet, but that's because we haven't conceded a single flipping goal. So why would we.

It's another world.

Exactly. We all know England have had decent players in the past that never performed at tournaments. Don’t what cause was but Southgate has clearly made them relaxed. Probably only Kane would be huge miss if got injured/suspended as so much cover in the squad.

To win so easily and not calling on Grealish or Foden says it all.

Great showing from the first min to the last, didn't expect it to be that easy.

Sancho improved our attack ten-fold, committing players and opening up space with intelligent runs etc. Never really seen much of him, but he does look one heck of a player.

My player of the tournament has to be Shaw, he is assisting goals whilst defending astutely. He looked a little out of sorts in the wing back role against Germany to start with, but he adjusted.

From a rather tepid group stage, it has all come to life at the right time. If we play against Denmark as we did in the 2nd half yesterday, then they will not stand a chance.

What an opportunity this is by the way.

• Like 1