The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

Everyone at work thinks it’s  Italy for us in the final .. I think the Danes have had a decent tournament ..the eriksen scenario seemed to galvanise them.,but I still feel we have so much talent at our disposal we’d scare most teams in the world..I think Spain will do Italy on pens and that ideal situation will play into our hands next Sunday in the final .. 2-0 win over the Danes … Kane double ..and I think 2-1 in the final with our 1st scare conceding 1st ..foden to equalise and Sterling nets the winner in extra time !

it’s coming home lads .. this is our time 

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If England get to the final, will Southgate have won over the doubters or will he be blamed for not winning it?

Seem to be a lot of England fans who were born yesterday.  Being born in the late 80s the idea of making semi finals and finals and actually turning up to knock out games consistently is remarkable - Southgate is doing a brilliant job, especially compared to his predecessors.

5 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Getting to the final is a real achievement. Maybe even getting to the semi...although losing to Denmark ratehr a recognised "big team" would undermine that achievement somewhat

He got us to the World Cup semis last time out but that hasn't stopped many calling for his head since, if we go out to the Danes it won't be long before the knives start coming out again.

6 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

He got us to the World Cup semis last time out but that hasn't stopped many calling for his head since, if we go out to the Danes it won't be long before the knives start coming out again.

Our performance in this tournament has been much stronger than 2018.  We've set the record for the longest run without conceding in European Cup history, beat the Germans and Croatia and thumped Ukraine.  I think there was a feeling in 2018 that we'd shown a bit of metal but in general got to the semi through a nice draw, this time we've got there comfortably.

• Like 2

Undoubtedly the most successful England manager for a generation. And I'm really enjoying the journey.

But that said, we are still allowed to question his decisions, that does not put us in the 'Southgate out' mob.

Why does everything have to be so absolute in 2021? Its like everyone is twitching for a disagreement all the time.

............Cue arguments.......lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Undoubtedly the most successful England manager for a generation. And I'm really enjoying the journey.

But that said, we are still allowed to question his decisions, that does not put us in the 'Southgate out' mob.

Why does everything have to be so absolute in 2021? Its like everyone is twitching for a disagreement all the time.

............Cue arguments.......lol

I still don't know how he isn't starting Grealish but I found it so strange how critical people were of him as a manager

On 04/07/2021 at 20:01, LeBizzier69 said:

I didn't see last night coming at all, and also happy to be proved utterly wrong on my predictions....thought Germany would turn up and hand us a spanking the other night too.

Only downside, with Saints tinted spec's on, is that JWP isn't going to get a look in for some time now barring injuries. Southgate will have his new midfield favourites (rightly so i suppose)  so i'd be surprised if JWP gets close to the starting XI any time soon. 

Hardly surprising really as JWP is not as good as the players at Euro 20

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I still don't know how he isn't starting Grealish but I found it so strange how critical people were of him as a manager

Grealish is still recovering from serious injury and needs to be used sparingly

4 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Who you lose to seems to affect your reputation. Bobby Robson had a pretty average record as England manager yet has this over inflated reputation. A reputation based solely on losing to Argentina, West Germany & Gazza crying. His Euro record was spectacularly awful, failing to qualify in ‘84 and losing every single game in ‘88.  

5 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

I thought he was shit but he’s proved me wrong. Despite his poor club record he seems to be a good fit for the National team, I guess his previous England experience helps him and he’s an intelligent guy. Think much of the problem the National side have faced over the years is dealing with the pressure and Southgate seems to have them right in the head.

• Like 1

What a surprise! The whites v the blues! No reason why both teams aren’t wearing home  kits! UEFA have such daft rules…. End v den tomorrow should both be in home kits … as the final aswell should we get there… I know to some it’s a minor detail but where’s the common sense and tradition!?????

23 minutes ago, JCBSaint said:

What a surprise! The whites v the blues! No reason why both teams aren’t wearing home  kits! UEFA have such daft rules…. End v den tomorrow should both be in home kits … as the final aswell should we get there… I know to some it’s a minor detail but where’s the common sense and tradition!?????

Think it's likely to do with colour-blindness; white and blue easier to differentiate between compared with red and blue. UEFA are pretty big on this: https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/uefaorg/Corepartnership/02/60/10/06/2601006_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Imagine both teams will play in home kits tomorrow. 

Spain edging this. Extra time for these two will be good for tomorrow's winners, they'll get an extra day's rest so hopefully England match decided in 90 mins (for either side).

There's some Mush in a Saints shirt sat in the front row at the Spanish end.

Edited by alehouseboys

Both of these looking a bit leggy/nervous to me, and a bit sloppy as a result.

Italy seem to be missing Spinazzola quite a bit, went into this as favourites tonight, but just seem to be missing something.

Can see England getting a few chances if we get through to face Spain and they play the same high line.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Both of these looking a bit leggy/nervous to me, and a bit sloppy as a result.

Italy seem to be missing Spinazzola quite a bit, went into this as favourites tonight, but just seem to be missing something.

Can see England getting a few chances if we get through to face Spain and they play the same high line.

It's got 0-0 and ET written all over it. Good. That will be Spain's 3rd consecutive 120-min game. If they get through to the final they will be spent and there for the taking if we can beat Denmark.

Italy looking good on the counter attack but Spain have been better this game, they just lack cutting edge up front. Great finish by Chiesa though.

Of these two teams I’d rather we came up against Italy in the final. a) Overall in the tournament they deserve it but b) Kane and Sterling coming up against the ageing Bonucci and Chiellini is mouth watering.

Disclaimer: IF we make the final, with all respect to Denmark.

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

Ridiculous thinking ET on Tuesday is going to have significant impact to a game on Sunday. It won’t 

Ridiculous thinking Spain would be at 100% after being taken to extra time in all three knockout games, more like.

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Ridiculous thinking Spain would be at 100% after being taken to extra time in all three knockout games, more like.

Let’s hope their coach gets stick in traffic and they are half an hour later to bed.

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Trying to imagine Rice and Phillips together against either of these sides. 

I thought the same. We'll struggle to dominate midfield against either of these teams. I can see Henderson starting. 

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Do shut up Rio, sometimes it’s just a good shot

Dunno, I'm with Rio on that one, you got to show a player outside in the box, you can't let them cut onto their favoured foot and shoot.

Was a great shot admittedly though.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah it was a great shot, no doubt. But Rio is absolutely right - Garcia shouldn't be letting him shoot with his right foot there.

I do get it, but the analysis seems to suck the joy out of the goal