The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The number of people videoing that in the crowd. Tragic.

Said the same. Tickets wasted on those fools. Just watch the game and enjoy the moment. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Swap the keepers over and we win 3-0. Well deserved. Best 2 teams in final.

Horrendous commentary, didn’t even realise they were down to 10 men till right before the end. Skate twat 

Back from the pub Duckie?

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What brilliant game management for the last 5 mins. It was attack v defence from half time. Deserved win even if penalty was debatable. Fuck me were in a final!

Yep. Kept the ball superbly. Calm heads all over the pitch. Very impressed. 

Roll on Sunday. Can't wait. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Walker was superb, Kane played well, but Sterling MoTM. Fair play to Southgate, ruthless subbing the sub, but you can’t argue with what he’s done.

Keeper is the only worry for me, he’s borderline Boruc, I’m not sure he’s all there. 

Subbing Grealish was brave but liked Henderson coming on kept it demanded it broke it up and moved it around fair play to Southgate

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Subbing Grealish was brave but liked Henderson coming on kept it demanded it broke it up and moved it around fair play to Southgate

Personally, don't agree with the Grealish sub. I didn't feel it was necessary as Denmark were on their last legs. If anything it gave them half a chance to get back in it. But that said, we did manage the game and keep the ball superbly in last 5 minutes and by and large Southgate has made the right calls in this tournament.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

Personally, don't agree with the Grealish sub. I didn't feel it was necessary as Denmark were on their last legs. If anything it gave them half a chance to get back in it. But that said, we did manage the game and keep the ball superbly in last 5 minutes and by and large Southgate has made the right calls in this tournament.

We won didn’t we? Grealish did his bit came on we scored game won. Ffs how can anyone moan about it when we’ve just reached our first final in 55 years. Southgate has got everything bang on so far

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

We won didn’t we? Grealish did his bit came on we scored game won. Ffs how can anyone moan about it when we’ve just reached our first final in 55 years. Southgate has got everything bang on so far

I"m not moaning FFS! Think Southgate has managed the squad superbly. Just didn't agree with that sub as it was a negative move. But the win was well deserved and roll on the final.

By the way, Vestergaard played very well for Denmark. If he stays and plays like that all season I'll be more than happy.

• Like 2

Sterling infuriates me like Redmond infuriates me but surely, SURELY, he must be in the running for player of the tournament. He’s certainly been England’s best player. I don’t think there has been an Italian standout (Insigne? Bonucci? Chiesa?) as they play more as a team. 

Kane only needs 2 goals, or a goal and 2 assists, to be top scorer this tournament too. Hopefully that’ll be in his mind going into Sunday.

Well done England! BBQ and lots of booze on Sunday and off on Monday! Excited!

I thought it all started a bit too frantic, once it settled down it was Denmark who came in with more of the composure. Their midfield was just sharper than ours for a good portion of that first half I felt. Free kick was weird, it was dipping and bending with so much pace. It was saveable, but it would have been one heck of a save had it been kept out due to the pace of the hit. Equaliser came at the right time as Denmark were just settling into a pattern of frustrating us.

2nd half was more of the same until 70ish mins. Denmark made a ton of subs at once and it ruined them. I thought Dolberg up top was providing them a real threat and stretching the game along with Dalsgaard. Once their attack had changed up and Poulsen was the front line that threat was gone. So from that moment on it was backs to the wall for Denmark and we just kept working and working down the wide positions and into the box.

Penalty was soft as shit, no denying that. I'd be utterly pissed if we'd been knocked out on that. But you have to look back at previous tournaments. The 'goal' Sol scored in 2004 that was chalked off for a 'foul'. The play acting red card for Rooney in 2006. The over the line goal for Lampard which wasn't given in 2010 etc. Plenty more. So we kind of deserved that break. I don't think we should feel sheepish because of that winner, we deserved it on the overall game anyway.

No idea what to make of Sunday, it's going to be another level than we have faced for a long time. Shit house defenders who will have our attackers number, midfielders who are a lot more clever at this level as opposed to Rice/Phillips etc. 50/50 game....but I'm booking Monday off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Walker and Sterling were fantastic.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Walker was superb, Kane played well, but Sterling MoTM. Fair play to Southgate, ruthless subbing the sub, but you can’t argue with what he’s done.

Keeper is the only worry for me, he’s borderline Boruc, I’m not sure he’s all there. 

I'd add Luke Shaw to your played well list.  Very impressed with England's game management in the last 10 minutes.   Sunday's a huge day....especially for those under 55!

Great to be in the final, felt like it was going to be one of those days when that free kick went in.

GS went a bit too negative for me 2nd half of ET but got the job done so can't complain. 

Italy is a step up from Denmark but they also looked a bit leggy after ET. Monday booked off work.

Supporting Saints & England all my life and all I have to show for it is winning the JPT. Would be good to celebrate a major trophy win once in a while!! 😄

• Like 2

Was convinced the pen was going to be overturned, they saw enough to give it. Only player I was not entirely happy with was Pickford who on a few occasions looked dodgy. I’m not a big fan of Philips and Rice playing together, but what do I know…we won!

What would happen if one of the teams has a mass covid outbreak like the England cricket team?

Would be a mad end to the tournament if someone had to forfeit the final because they had no players.

Edited by The Cat
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Penalty was soft as shit, no denying that. I'd be utterly pissed if we'd been knocked out on that. But you have to look back at previous tournaments. The 'goal' Sol scored in 2004 that was chalked off for a 'foul'. The play acting red card for Rooney in 2006. The over the line goal for Lampard which wasn't given in 2010 etc. Plenty more. So we kind of deserved that break. I don't think we should feel sheepish because of that winner, we deserved it on the overall game anyway.

May I add The Hand of God to your list?

9 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Swap the keepers over and we win 3-0. Well deserved. Best 2 teams in final.

Horrendous commentary, didn’t even realise they were down to 10 men till right before the end. Skate twat 

I switched over to French TV as the commentary was soo bad, it was starting to make me cheer for Denmark. My command of French isn't so good to notice if the mentioned Jensen going off. No wonder England looked  so comfortable defending the lead .