The Euro2020 Thread

Saint Garrett

22 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Yeah I tend to agree, especially Denmark for goodness sake.  I do remember some decent booings against the German national anthem in the past however, which seemed acceptable to most at the time.  Whatever people's view on it, I still maintain that people should be able to cheer or boo whatever goes on in the ground, as they see fit.  

I wouldn't boo but they're just silly songs, who cares if people want to boo. I wouldn't be mortality offended if I went to a game in Italy and the fans booed our crap anthem.

I also don't really understand what the FA are supposed to do to stop people booing

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Manuel said:

I can understand the charge for lasering Schmeichel, but booing the National Anthem?  Surely fans should be allowed to boo whenever they see fit? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

Depends if you want England to be seen as the type of three toothed single brain cell dwelling insular island that this forum frequently accuses those in Portsea Isle of being, or a civilised modern nation that can project itself confidently in the world. I’ve been on Barmy Army tours watching cricket and loads of banter/singing during games, but where there’s anthems they are always respected. Same in rugby despite some ferocious rivalries and atmosphere on and off the pitch, especially Wales v England, anthems respected. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I wouldn't boo but they're just silly songs, who cares if people want to boo. I wouldn't be mortality offended if I went to a game in Italy and the fans booed our crap anthem.

I also don't really understand what the FA are supposed to do to stop people booing

The last point of your post makes more sense, it’s a societal issue. A bit like when Millichip said to Thatcher ‘stop your hooligans coming to our football games’. I’d use the big screens to urge people not to let the players down by being an idiot. It’s more likely to fire the opposition up to play better as try saying to the Italians their anthem is silly. Mind you, I’d much rather have Jerusalem than God Save the Queen. Nothing against the monarchy, but sharing an anthem with Lichtenstein isn’t the most inspiring. 

25 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Depends if you want England to be seen as the type of three toothed single brain cell dwelling insular island that this forum frequently accuses those in Portsea Isle of being, or a civilised modern nation that can project itself confidently in the world. I’ve been on Barmy Army tours watching cricket and loads of banter/singing during games, but where there’s anthems they are always respected. Same in rugby despite some ferocious rivalries and atmosphere on and off the pitch, especially Wales v England, anthems respected. 

It isn't about what I want, it's about what should be "allowed".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Particularly when the Barmy Army sing "God save your gracious Queen" to the Australian supporters.

I completely agrre that its not reasoanable adult behaviour but what can the FA do about it. Sweet FA is the answer to that.

2 hours ago, Manuel said:

Yeah I tend to agree, especially Denmark for goodness sake.  I do remember some decent booings against the German national anthem in the past however, which seemed acceptable to most at the time.  Whatever people's view on it, I still maintain that people should be able to cheer or boo whatever goes on in the ground, as they see fit.  

Boo at something that happens on the pitch in real-time, if you must, but to boo at anything you feel like, at any time?

When Sir Alex Ferguson dies and a minute's silence is held at St. Mary's as a mark of respect, will you be happy to boo because you hate Manchester United?

Actually, don't answer that...

2 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Image being this wet

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

This 👆

It shows complete lack of class

Edited by Antrimsaint
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

They may well be “silly songs” but it is a simple matter of showing basic respect to your opponents. It is the same as players shaking hands before and after the game. Perhaps they should spit in each other’s faces? It is sport for goodness sake, not a war. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

The difference; football is traditionally a sport for the working class cricket and rugby aren’t. 

I wouldn’t have it any other way and it’s what makes the game great. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, SaveloyMush said:

Boo at something that happens on the pitch in real-time, if you must, but to boo at anything you feel like, at any time?

When Sir Alex Ferguson dies and a minute's silence is held at St. Mary's as a mark of respect, will you be happy to boo because you hate Manchester United?

I watched David James getting roundly booed at St Mary's whilst attempting to have an interview in the Kingsland/Northam corner.  It was funny and the interview was aborted.  Who could complain?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

This 👆

It shows complete lack of class

It’s done all across the globe, not just by the nasty racist England fans. 

It just done to create a hostile atmosphere, it’s really not that deep. 

Yet again, the woke offended by every thing on your behalf brigade making a fuss out of nothing 🥱

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaveloyMush said:

Fuck me. Comparing the booing on an anthem to that of the death of someone. You’re Stretching a bit here bud. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, SKD said:

The difference; football is traditionally a sport for the working class cricket and rugby aren’t. 

Cricket isn't a working class game? You've never played in Lancashire league!

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1

Just watched back a bit of it sober. Fucking hell Sam Matterface excelled at being a super cock. How they bumped Tyldesley for this inane twat I will never know. Making a plea to watch the f8nal on ITV. Oh fuck off

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SFC Forever said:

I am afraid there will always be at least one total idiot, moron, dickhead at the final. Yes there are more expletives available.

Sadly.

We could have lost the game or had it taken from us.

Laser penning players is far, far more serious than booing, despicable as that is.  Nothing is to stop these Laser penning morons from  packing stadiums . Good bye Football.

What is the answer?

2 hours ago, SKD said:

It’s done all across the globe, not just by the nasty racist England fans. 

It just done to create a hostile atmosphere, it’s really not that deep. 

Yet again, the woke offended by every thing on your behalf brigade making a fuss out of nothing 🥱

So predictable, what’s is wrong with showing respect to a nations anthem? Do you applaud the disrespect?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Grown men booing is quite funny. How can you look cool booing?

It’s all a bit tragic but part of the pantomime Also tragic is the self righteous superiority complex weirdos who love to express their outrage about it all telling everyone who does it how much more intelligent they are than them as they are great, respectful, decent people. 

• Like 1

What exactlly is the point of booing a country's anthem? Are you booing the team in front of you representing the country, the country itself, both these or something completely different? Please can those in favour explain this. I've never seen booing during Olympic medal presentations, for example, which is arguably the most nationalistic sporting forum there is.  Has anybody else seen booing at an Olympic medal ceremony?

Edited by Jeremy

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Just watched back a bit of it sober. Fucking hell Sam Matterface excelled at being a super cock. How they bumped Tyldesley for this inane twat I will never know. Making a plea to watch the f8nal on ITV. Oh fuck off

Cant wait for the BBC coverage over Matterofdribblefaces dire tripe,he just chats shit for the sake of saying something crap.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

It’s all a bit tragic but part of the pantomime Also tragic is the self righteous superiority complex weirdos who love to express their outrage about it all telling everyone who does it how much more intelligent they are than them as they are great, respectful, decent people. 

That's my take. Personally I think booing is a bit sad and weird, but it's also a bit sad and weird to be moaning SO MUCH about booing.  Let it go.  God football fans are strange now.

36 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

What exactlly is the point of booing a country's anthem? Are you booing the team in front of you representing the country, the country itself, both these or something completely different? Please can those in favour explain this. I've never seen booing during Olympic medal presentations, for example, which is arguably the most nationalistic sporting forum there is.  Has anybody else seen booing at an Olympic medal ceremony?

Football is a triable sport, a lot more so than the olympics. For the 90 minutes those in front of you are the enemy. It’s no different to booing, whistling, shouting etc When the other team have the ball, it’s there to try and gain a competitive advantage and put the other team off. Does it work? Probably not. 

As I said, it’s really not that deep. It’s been happening for years all across the world. 

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's my take. Personally I think booing is a bit sad and weird, but it's also a bit sad and weird to be moaning SO MUCH about booing.  Let it go.  God football fans are strange now.

People in general are strange now, it’s not just football. In life there are a section of people who are just desperate to be offended on other people’s behalf by anything and everything. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

People in general are strange now, it’s not just football. In life there are a section of people who are just desperate to be offended on other people’s behalf by anything and everything. 

By section I assume you mean the dribbling right?  Have you seen the responses to any time GB News tweet about any sort of change?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Manuel said:

I can understand the charge for lasering Schmeichel, but booing the National Anthem?  Surely fans should be allowed to boo whenever they see fit? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

Booing a foreign national anthem at any time is boorish, disrespectful and shameful on the Country as a whole. People who condone it are moronic half-wits with not enough brain to understand how nauseatingly pathetic it makes us look.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I’m old fashioned enough to regard the issue as simply a matter of manners. It is bad manners to boo another nation’s anthem. Plain and simple.

Clearly there are others who think it is clever and fair game to boo. I prefer to disassociate myself from these people - and they, no doubt, regard me as a silly old fogey. Vive la difference!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Is it just me or is anyone else struggling to get excited for Sunday??  Dunno if it's the lack of Saints player involvement or my apathy for football at the moment but I am just not feeling it!

I'm pumped for it! Be a good night out no matter the result...doubly a good night out if we win :D

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Quelle suprise.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Is it just me or is anyone else struggling to get excited for Sunday??  Dunno if it's the lack of Saints player involvement or my apathy for football at the moment but I am just not feeling it!

This’ll get some bites. 9/10. 

18 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

I just hope that Saints tweet best wishes for a good day to Graziano Pelle on Sunday. That'll warm up the wums.

15 hours ago, Manuel said:

It isn't about what I want, it's about what should be "allowed".

Booing isn't being banned. But UEFA expects an FA to try and provide the correct environment, they know that can't do anything about it, so setting a standard and issuing a fine is just a signal. Just like FAs and UEFA can't do much about racist chanting, so they issue a fine to show that it's behaviour contrary to their standards. It keeps the sponsors happy.

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I think it is just something peculiar to some football fans, like booing people who are making a statement about racism. It takes a special breed and they only seem to follow one sport. You get them on Internet forums too making snide digs about those who rightly call out this pathetic behaviour for what it is.

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

it's a good question. The reality is that it's just something football supporters do to try to put off the opposition. It doesn't really work or have any impact on any players. The Danes a pretty decent bunch, we have no gripe with them historically so it's nothing more than that really. It's a bit childish but fairly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Of course there are people who are absolutely desperate to show how disgusting and offensive it all is, the type of people who read the guardian, live in small middle class towns and never see a foreign person but they are furiously posting on internet forums how racist and disgusting the country and how everyone else needs to do more. In reality no one is really that bothered by booing, other than these self righteous cretins with superiority complexes who think it is they right to be offended on behalf of everyone. These pompous self appointed guardians of decency are a nauseating bunch with their never ending bleating, but unfortunately we have to put with them. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Exactly. I expect a lot of the wierdos going on about it would love everyone to march to the ground linking arms, waving candles and singing I'd like to build the world a home, sorry freakos, it aint going to happen.

Many posters seem to avoid answering the question

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Booing a foreign national anthem at any time is boorish, disrespectful and shameful on the Country as a whole. People who condone it are moronic half-wits with not enough brain to understand how nauseatingly pathetic it makes us look.

You don't like booing, I get it.  Now would you like to answer the question regarding whether 'the booing' should be regarded as a disciplinary offence by UEFA?  

I'm not keen on the booing either but personally wouldn't want a big-brother body trying to stop fans expressing themselves as they see fit.  That's without getting into the logistics of how to implement such a ban and where it might eventually lead.  

https://disciplinary.uefa.com/updates/

32 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I think it is just something peculiar to some football fans, like booing people who are making a statement about racism. It takes a special breed and they only seem to follow one sport. You get them on Internet forums too making snide digs about those who rightly call out this pathetic behaviour for what it is.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rugbypass.com/news/chorus-of-boos-for-the-barbarians-adopted-national-anthem-in-cardiff/

Thoughts? 

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

it's a good question. The reality is that it's just something football supporters do to try to put off the opposition. It doesn't really work or have any impact on any players. The Danes a pretty decent bunch, we have no gripe with them historically so it's nothing more than that really. It's a bit childish but fairly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Of course there are people who are absolutely desperate to show how disgusting and offensive it all is, the type of people who read the guardian, live in small middle class towns and never see a foreign person but they are furiously posting on internet forums how racist and disgusting the country and how everyone else needs to do more. In reality no one is really that bothered by booing, other than these self righteous cretins with superiority complexes who think it is they right to be offended on behalf of everyone. These pompous self appointed guardians of decency are a nauseating bunch with their never ending bleating, but unfortunately we have to put with them. 

I don’t think the corrupt UEFA blazers read the Guardian . Football authorities, even at non league level happily slap on fines for red cards and also charge an admin fee for doing it , they also “sell” compulsory annual dinner tickets to clubs etc . Anything to  make money for “themselves “ sorry the football family Ha Ha !

I remember going to watch England play Belarus at Wembley in a 2010 World Cup qualifier. The fat moron in front of me started to boo the Belarussian anthem and was in no uncertain terms told by a number of people around him to shut up. Now of course, he could have had legitimate concerns about the ongoing human rights abuses by their President and the general aura of repression in Belarus - but on balance I think he was just a knuckle dragging moron.

• Like 2